Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went for BF shopping the next day after BF
CC: Blade runner $5
Seinfeld s1,2 $16.99
BB: 24 ss 1,2,3 19.99 each
Target: Robots $7.88
Simpsons s6 $17.88
walmart: West wing s1,2 19.99 each.
No lines, spend less than hour.
Now just to find time to watch it.
Old 11-26-05, 11:47 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by svrasputin
The only place that I made it to was Target, and that's only because I'm a manager there. Insane amounts of people outside before the store opened. Probably around 400 people waiting in line.

Anyway, bought the following on Friday:

Soul Caliber III 37.88
Aeon Flux 13
Kingdom of Heaven 8.88
Robots 8.88
Each Harry Potter Movie @ 5.88 each
Crash 8.88
Condemned XBox 360 $60

Saturday:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Volumes 1, 2, 3 @ 11.20 each
Killer 7 Gamecube 14.15
South Park Season 5 & 6 @ 17.67 each
Bose Soundock for iPod 184.55

Of course, a lot of the really low prices on most of the items were due to Target's substitution policy.
i didn't know south park was onsale also? man if i knew i would headed to target and buy it. seem no one knew target have a sale on south park either cause i didn't see anyone post about buying it. anyway i got simpsons season 6 for $15.99 at cc and sandisk 1gb sd card at od for $15 after rebate and coupon. this year bf deal sux compare to any other year. the year before i got a whole alot of good stuff. this year all i got is 2 thing. i also wanted cinderella but cc ran out by the time i got there.
Old 11-27-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I spent over $400 dollars in dvds mainly at Hastings. They had 30% off used dvds including box sets so I grabbed sets like Deadwood for 35 bucks.
Old 11-27-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I spent 12.99 on arrested development season 2.
I went to circuit city friday and everything there was gone. Bins where empty. I went to target late saturday and picked up arrested development. It rang up 29.99, but I thought they were on sale for 2 days for 12.99 so she gave it to me for that price.

Anyone know if next weeks deals will be anywhere as good?
Old 11-27-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lemondrop
Wife called corporate last night , and the kids parents have been contacted about it . Target called back to us and told us the Nazi has been put on paid suspension until they do thier investigation .

Right now , the Nazi is to write a letter to the kid and then have a face to face meeting to appologize to him . The manager of the story and security head also was to speak with the kid . I don't know what's coming from all of it , time will tell . Perhaps if they clean it up correctly his parents won't seek a lawyer ...........
Good for you. Glad to hear that they are taking some action. My advice for you and the kid's parents is to not let this go. Even if they apologize, that's not good enough in my book. This all comes down to a violation of his rights. They did so, and that's illegal.

As was said before once the cop heard what was going on and knew the Target employee had nothing on the kid, he should have defended the individual as well. The police are as much in fault in this instance as is Target.
Old 11-27-05, 02:41 AM

Surprisingly I only bought one dvd and you'll laugh at which one.

Walmart - Remington 6 in 1 grooming kit, Simple Life 2. Catch Me If You Can was all gone. Was thinking about Swimfan (Shiri Appleby fan) but will rent it instead.

Express - bunch of clothes and jeans

Sears - Kenmore Vacuum

Filene's - Nike hoody

Wanted to go to Worst Buy, but 1. probably had long lines 2. needed to go home to wait for Fedex package.
Old 11-27-05, 02:56 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing much this year.

Staples: DVD-R, DVD+R
Best Buy: Cinderella (PM'ed to CC), Apollo 13, Nero 7 (software), Pinnacle Studio 10 (software), Parasonic cordless phone (PM'ed to CC)
Old 11-27-05, 03:26 AM

I don't get it, getting up at 3am to save a few bucks on DVDs? Even if you saved $100 but took 3 hours, I don't think it's worth it. I'm a deal hunter to the core, but I value my sleep and my time more than saving a few bucks. But hey, if you have fun doing it, I'm happy for you.

I save enough all year making sure I get good deals. Plus, I know I'd eat $10 worth of Ambien just trying to get back on track for the next week.
Old 11-27-05, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
not much, got in on one of the two days sales at Target, picked up Laguna Beach: Season 1.
Old 11-27-05, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only DVDs I got Friday were Kingdom of Heaven for $9 on circuitcity.com and The Shield season 3 for $20 at Best Buy instore.
Old 11-27-05, 06:26 AM

If I were to get up at 4:30 to make it to stores a 5, I would only loose an hour of sleep. No big deal. You have to think of it in terms of most of the workforce works an 8-5ish day.

My fiancee and her mother shopped for 14 hours on Friday. She nearly finished all our shopping for the year so she's estatic. The debit card is worn out though, LOL.
Old 11-27-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised most of these deals were still going on on saturday. I got Arrested development S1 & 2 for $14.99 each at BB right b4 closing last night in spite of it only saying until noon on BF in the flyer! Also got that Lexmark printer/scanner/copier at WM for $39.88 since that came with 2 cartridges and was actually cheaper than buying 2 new cartridges
At Target I picked up the original WOTW for $4.99 and The Longest Yard priced at $5.88 instead of $8.88 for some reason.
Old 11-27-05, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by nonametofame
I'm surprised that few, if any, bought things in advance in anticipation of the sale.
Buying in advance is a little lame. I considered it, but I could not force myself to do it because I would not feel good about myself unless I played fairly. If everyone bought in advance, then it would become a race to get the illegally distributed BF ads the earliest.
Old 11-27-05, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JP5683
It opened October 14th.

I went to Oxnard in September for a few things at Best Buy, went across to Costco and 99 Cent Only, and was shocked to see "Fry's Electronics, Coming Soon!"...

My friend went on the first day, but in the afternoon, neither one of us knew it was open until about noon, when I picked up the LA Times and saw the ad.

This was my 3rd trip there. It's pretty big, only been to the Woodland Hills store otherwise, they even have a little Starbucks-like cafe inside.

Target was supposed to come to Goleta, it was voted down. CompUsa opened in Goleta in 2000 after they built a new shopping center on the other side of the Kmart center, Costco is the main store there.

No Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

And everybody who lives here is not a millionare. At least, not me. Not even close. I was born here, just like my dad. My mom tried to get my dad to move to Lompoc about 300 times when I was a kid, never happened.
Thanks for that update on the store situation in SB and Oxnard. I don't know the size of the Woodland Hills store, but Oxnard sounds like a full sized one (i.e. at least the floor space of your average Sears dept. store). I guess they figure people from Thousand Oaks to SB will all drive to the Oxnard one. I'll go there next time I visit.

If you own a house in SB, by definition you are a millionaire... if only on paper, based on what I've heard that there are no houses under a million there. Perhaps my second and third-hand info about SB real estate prices is incorrect.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-29-05 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
There wasn't much that I wanted this year. Here is what I got...

Best Deal
Infocus 4805 449.99 AR/AC (Staples)

Other Deals

Wal-Mart
Sony PSP - 198.88 (PM to BRANDSMART)
Lost Season 1 DVD - 23.99 (PM to FRY'S)
The Incredibles DVD - 8.99 (PM to CC)
Cinderela DVD - 8.99 (PM to CC)
Doom 3 (XBOX) - 9.99 (PM to CC)
Shark Tale DVD - 3.44

BEST BUY
24 Season 3 - 19.99

Sears
Simpsons season 6 DVD - 13.39 (PM to CC)

Would liked to have got, but didn't get to store early enough
Plantronics Bluetooth headphone 9.99 @ Fry's
24 Season 2 19.99 @ Best Buy

During Thanks Giving week Deal (not just BF day
XBox 360 from Circuit City
Old 11-27-05, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I don't get it, getting up at 3am to save a few bucks on DVDs? Even if you saved $100 but took 3 hours, I don't think it's worth it. I'm a deal hunter to the core, but I value my sleep and my time more than saving a few bucks. But hey, if you have fun doing it, I'm happy for you.
I agree with you. I didn't get up until my normal wakeup time (7 AM) to go shopping and I only went to Walmart 1 mile away because I don't like driving on my days off. I learned after looking around and talking to some employees that not enough people are rabid about DVDs to deplete their entire sale stock quickly, so I don't think if I had gone there at 5 AM that I would've found a single additional DVD. I even went back on Saturday for something else, and pretty much all of the same titles were still available (just in smaller quantities).

The main problem at Walmart was having only Fool Screen versions of several DVDs I wanted, and no matter when I went or which Walmart I went to, that would've been the same story. It took me 1 hour in Walmart because I scoured the DVDs thoroughly looking for pricematch candidates. There were no lines to checkout, so either they had too many cashiers or too few customers. I think I saved enough to justify spending 1 hour at a time that was convenient for me. Perhaps this is just localized to my area, but from this experience I have decided each BF I will go out to Walmart around 7-8 AM when the crowds aren't bad as long as they pricematch.
Old 11-27-05, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
Thanks for that update on the store situation in SB and Oxnard. I don't know the size of the Woodland Hills store, but Oxnard sounds like a full sized one (i.e. at least the floor space of your average Sears dept. store). I guess they figure people from Thousand Oaks to SB will all drive to the Oxnard one. I'll go there next time I visit.

So this new Fry's is by Costco on the inland side of the 101? I guess the coolest stores are all off Rose Ave. I'm trying to remember the layout. I thought the land near Costco was pretty well taken with other stores and car dealerships, so I'm trying to think where there was a large enough space for a full size Fry's.

I'm trying to remember the big store that was near Fairview & Hollister in SB. Was that Kmart? Costco is by Glenn Annie or Los Carneros, I think, so are you saying the Kmart center and Comp USA are across Hollister from Costco? Interesting. Does SB still have the monthly Earl Warren computer show for $7 admission? I'm surprised Comp USA would come to SB to try to compete with that. I could tell some stories about that show and things vendors told me. One guy showed me he had a special pricing sheet just for SB with higher prices on everything because to quote him "everyone in SB is so rich they can afford to pay more", and that was back in 1998.

If you own a house in SB, by definition you are a millionaire... if only on paper, based on what I've heard that there are no houses under a million there. I did know a couple unlucky souls who are not millionaires who rented (and still do rent) in SB because they couldn't afford a house back when they were 500K in 1998 and now they couldn't afford anything ever. I just know I heard that even the downtown Haley Street and Goleta dumps (the stuff out by Foothill and Los Carneros by the high school whose name I forgot) were over a million.
The Fry's is in the opposite shipping center...by Sports Chalet (I think). There is also an Olive Garden and Office Depot (or max, who knows). Its a pretty big store, about the same size as the Woodland Hills location.
Old 11-27-05, 04:12 PM

Between 8 and 9 PM I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and picked up the following:

Best Buy:
The Shield Season 2 - 19.99
The Shield Season 3 - 19.99

Circuit City:
Man on Fire - 7.99
Road to Perdition - 4.99
Poltergiest - 4.99
8 Mile - 4.99
Swordfish - 4.99
Jerry Maguire - 4.99

Both stores had plenty of stock and I passed on a lot of things. Best Buy checkout took about 15 minutes, Circuit City to 2.
Old 11-27-05, 07:28 PM

Black Friday

I had the *BEST* Black Friday experience, organized and orderly and civilized and at Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

We were traveling and in a hotel in Knoxville, TN, on Thanksgiving, where I studied all the newspaper sale ads and decided I wanted the DVD recorder for $68 at Wal-Mart. There was no one in line outside Wal-Mart when I pulled up at 4:50 a.m. on BF. Inside the store, there was a line of people with empty shopping carts snaking around the store and someone said that line was waiting for the TVs. I got to the end of another line and asked what it was for, and someone said Game Boys. Another line was for Cabbage Patch Kids. The main aisles were lined with the specials of the day, all shrink-wrapped on pallets, with one employee per pallet standing by to cut on the dot of 5 a.m. I finally accidentally stumbled on the DVD Recorder pallet, and only 5 people were waiting. I expressed amazement that they didn't make everyone wait outside (where it was sort of freezing cold), and the clerk said, "No, we don't do that anymore." At 5 a.m., there was a storewide announcement of the time, the clerks started handing out the merchandise, and I was the first person in the self-checkout line and was back in the car by 5:09 a.m. Absolutely the best Black Friday experience ever and a total 180 from the newsclips on TV of people fighting and such.
Old 11-27-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, lets see: got up at 4:30, drove to the Roosevelt Field area by 5.

- First stop: Wal-Mart. Why? because they will price match. The problem: shares a parking lot with best buy. Oh, and it was packed tighter than Jessica Alba's ass. Anyway, here is my tally from there:

(cant find receipt, so I will edit this later)

- Then headed to Circuit City
Lucky to snag a 515mb pro duo memory card for 19.99 after rebate
Also got a 512 SD card for the camera for 9.99 after rebate

- Next, Target:
1 of each of the Harry Potters at 5.88 each
LOTR:ROTK (completes my collection of the TE and EEs) - 5.88
Seinfeld S5 and S6 (bought seperately for 29.99 plus 2 $5 giftcards)

- Next, headed to FYE:
Saw SE: 9.99
21 Grams: 5.99
Edward Scissorhands: 9.99 (will be 4.99 after rebate)
And the following were approx 5.00 each (3 for 14.99):
Young Guns SE
Scorpion King (WS -- all of the other stores only had full screen)
Stargate Ultimate
Dune 3 disc
Doors SE
King of NY SE
Dirty Dancing UE
Nutty Prof. II
T2: Extreme
Old 11-27-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Regarding shoplifting, I have a question.
I dont have a car, so I have to go into stores with my backpack. Its generally fine, but there are a couple of stores (CA) which have asked me to open my backpack and inspect the contents on the way out. Do they have the right to do that ?
What about if there is a notice on store door which says "we reserve the right to inspect bags/backpacks" ? Is that legal ?

Those stores are in high risk areas, and I'm not planning on fighting them always, just if they are rude
Old 11-27-05, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
What about if there is a notice on store door which says "we reserve the right to inspect bags/backpacks" ? Is that legal ?
If they have a sign posted they are definitely within their rights. You are going onto private property and they can make you jump through whatever hoops they want to so long as they are carried equally for everyone.
Old 11-28-05, 01:05 AM

I went on target.com to see if I could get those Aqua Teen's for 11.20, but the website lists them for 22 soemthing. Why can't I order them on the website at that price?

Target has a substitution policy in which another item is put on sale when the original sale item has sold out. This is in-store only. When a raincheck is issued to a customer, it states at the bottom that the guest can choose his own substitute to make up for not having the sale item available for purchse. The substitute will be marked down according to the percentage off of the sale item.

Of course, your mileage will definitely vary store to store. Some stores do not like giving substitutes for some reason, even though they are required to make a substitute available whenever they create a raincheck. Keep in mind that most stores do not raincheck or substitute for new release DVDs and CDs. So, the next time you go to Target to pick up a DVD that is on sale, and they are out, get a raincheck for for it and ask for a substitute. Keep in mind that being reasonable in your selection of a substitute will help out a lot. For instance, don't suggest to substitute a $50 box set for a $7.50 DVD.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by svrasputin; 11-28-05 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-28-05, 01:18 AM

Fry's
Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection $19.99
Cinderella $8.77

Best Buys
The Pianist, Catch Me if You Can, 8 Mile, Minority Report $3.99
Shrek 2, Anchorman $5.99

Target
Family Guy Stewie $8.88
Old 11-28-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
At Hasting's, I picked up the following used items

Interpol - Antics cd - 3.99

Primus - Hallucino-Genetics Tour - 3.99
Alias S4 - 17.99
Carnivale S1 - 24.99

John Grisham - The Broker book - 4.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.