Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Call me a skeptic...

Is it really worth fighting sleep to get:

Bedazzled, and The Cat in the Hat for 4.00?

Where's the victory?
I went and yes I thought it was worth it. Yes I had to wait in line but I got everything I wanted so I'm happy. The $3.44 dvds were a great deal.
Old 11-25-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anchorman: Unrated for $5.88
Old 11-25-05, 11:37 PM

I woke up late and of course all the good stuff was gone. At CC, there were still some decent $4.99 selections but (damn!) the cashier lines were so long. If they had any Arrested Development (s2) left, I would have picked it up and some cheap titles but since they were out of any decent titles, I went home empty-handed.
Old 11-25-05, 11:41 PM

I'm curious about the whole shoplifting story here. If the kid did steal something, wouldn't the store alarms have gone off when he left the store?
Old 11-26-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

4:25 am - Up and making coffee

5:00 - JC Penny's - free Disney snow globe

5:10 - Drove by Best Buy which had opened 10 minutes ago and 500 people still outside the store in line - kept on driving since I figured it would take 2 hours to get in the store and 3 hours to check out.

5:15 - Mervyn's - $8 Sweat Pants

5:25 - Got in long line at Sears - got in store 6:05 and recieved $10 gift card - purchased laundry detergent that was on sale for $10 so used my gift card and just paid the sales tax.

6:45 - Longs drug - (2) 12 pack soda and 8 pack aa batteries with Disney commerative Mickey and Minnie pin - $12

7:00 - Staples - Free after rebate - remote control and paper shredder

7:30 - Office Depot - 25 pack Maxell DVD +R - $5

8:00 - (4) 5 oz Hershey bars & 16 oz. cocktail peanuts - $3

8:15 - Home

9:15 - Back to bed
Old 11-26-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Call me a skeptic...

Is it really worth fighting sleep to get:

Bedazzled, and The Cat in the Hat for 4.00?

Where's the victory?
That's only certain stores (Best Buy in particular, and Circuit City). The way around it is to go a little later to Wal-Mart, Meijer, and possibly K-Mart -- stores that price match.

I've been to Best Buy once on a Black Friday - never again. The good deals are taken up by the people who have waited 5+ hours outside (and it was down to 11ºF yesterday morning (actual temp, not including wind chill)), and if you go a little later (say, an hour or half hour before the store opens) you then need to wait for a long period of time in line. What that effectively does is makes it impossible to get good deals at other stores since you can't make it anywhere else in a timely manner.
Old 11-26-05, 12:11 AM

I've done the whole 5am black friday deal before. I wasn't going to go through that again. I did go to circuit city around 7:30pm however. It was pretty much picked dry with the 2 day sales. I got some stuff though.

$4.99
Bait
Spiderman (Gift)
Anaconda
Resident Evil (Gift)
XXX (They had a few of the 2 disc special edition versions in the bin, so i brought it up there to pay for it and it rang up 19.99 but they honored it for $4.99.)

$7.99
AVP (Gift)
Old 11-26-05, 12:13 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I got the Harry Potter movies for $5.88 at Target after work (6PM) Not worth it this year.
Old 11-26-05, 12:36 AM

Modesto, CA

Wal-Mart
The Outsiders $3.44
The Rose $3.44
The Simple Life 2 $3.44
The Truth About Cats and Dogs $3.44

Walgreens
Muppet Treasure Island $5
The Big Chill $5

I got faked-out by Longs Drugs ~ their ad promoted MGM titles at 3 for $10, and upon entering the store I immediately spotted a new and prominent MGM display. It was stocked with great titles with "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," "Rain Man," "The Good the Bad and the Ugly," "The Graduate" and many more. I grabbed many great additions to my collection and headed toward the registers when I then saw the "Sale MGM" display, a tiny cardboard bin with titles like "Frogs," "Atta Boy" and other titles I've already forgotten. *damn* I nicely placed the full-price MGM titles back in their original places and left.
Old 11-26-05, 12:41 AM

BEST BUY:

All 3.99 each:

Cat in the Hat
Grinch
A Beautiful Mind
Catch Me if You Can
Road to Perdition
8 Mile
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore

Arrested Development Season 2 $14.99

WestingHouse 26" LCD : 499.99

K-MART

4 for $18 (4.50) each:

Scooby Doo & the Monster of Mexico
Scooby Doo & the Legend of the Vampire
Scooby Doo & the Cyber Chase
A Pup Named Scooby Doo Vol 1
A Pup Named Scooby Doo Vol 2

Family Guy Volume 3 $29.99

TARGET

$17.88 each:

Simpsons Season 6
That 70's Show Season 3

Star Wait $2.99
Old 11-26-05, 12:42 AM
Cool New Member

first stop at 4:30, Walmart
Family Guy Season 3 (PM)
Simpsons Season 6 (PM)
Bewitched
Kingdom of Heaven

second stop at 5:10, Best Buy
24 Season 2 and 3
8 Mile
The Grinch that Stole Christmas
Meet the Parents Bonus Edition
Giftcard
a nice little 1 1/2 line ride

third stop at 7:00, Target
Family Guy: Stewie
Crash
Giftcard

fourth stop at 8:00, my bed to sleep
Old 11-26-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a tough time getting up but eventually woke up at about 10:30 and headed out to the mall.
Stopped in Circuit City first to grab the last Arrested Development Season 2 ($13),
swung by Best Buy for Chappelle's Show Season 2 ($15),
and popped into Target for Seinfeld seasons 5&6 ($60) plus $10 in giftcards back.

ALL of the good $4-5 titles were gone but I picked up all the tv sets I wanted.
Old 11-26-05, 01:23 AM

I went to Circuit City at 5 am because they never stock well for these sales. The TV box sets on display were gone within 5 minutes.

Arrested Development $12.99
Cinderella $8.99
Will and Grace 3+4 $14.99 ea
Family Guy Vol. 2 $15.99
Napolean Dynamite $8.99
Kingdom of Heaven $8.99
Intolerable Cruelty $4.99

Target:

Sex and the City 6 pt 1 & 2 $17.88 ea
That 70s Show 3 $17.88
Anchorman $5.88
Harry Potter 3 $5.88
Meet the Fockers $5.88
The Interpreter $8.88
Crash $8.88
The Wedding Date $8.88

Best Buy:

24 2+3 $19.99 ea
The Shield 2+3 $19.99 ea
Apollo 13 $5.99
Minority Report $3.99
Old 11-26-05, 01:47 AM

I told myself I wouldn't pick anything up for Black Friday after barely surviving DDD's 20% off sale., but I still ended up picking up a few things. I pulled a 12 hour shift at my Best Buy and picked up Family Guy Season 3 for 14.99 and Arrested Developmeny Season Two for 12.99, both price matched to Circuit City. I also picked up the first season of Arrested Development for 14.99. For those prices I figured I'd be missing out if I didn't take advantage of it.
Old 11-26-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got home a little less than two hours ago.

Insane. Met my friend at 7-11 at 4:15 for coffee and gas, got to Oxnard Fry's at 4:50.

Line snaked around the building, almost overlapping. Friend left to go find a sale ad, and ended up inside before I got halfway up to the front. I came in, he had the 32' LCD $697 TV.

Called the automated bank line, because of the holiday, my paycheck had not been deposited on time, killed time in the cafe, didn't get my money added, so I walked out at 7 am empty handed. Friend also grabbed $2.99 You've Got Mail, and $14 DVD player. Some customers were buying them by the dozen, along with the $67 portable DVD, the $48 VHS/DVD combo and $199 20' LCD TV.

Got to Wal Mart, check went through. Got Outsiders original edition for $3.44, food chopper for $3.99, and a few groceries.

Over to Best Buy. Nada. Up to Target, got the latest Tim LaHaye book, friend got Kicking and Screaming, Bewitched, $8.88 Harry Potter 1 $5.88

Up to the Ventura Target looking for the video recliner chair they offered, sold out. Friend got Longest Yard $8.88. Over to Circuit City (just after 10 AM), they are letting people in the store in packs of twenty, one supervisor is bringing toys out and offering them for half price.

In and out quick without anything.

Over to a Blockbuster to check the PVT sale. Nothing going. Stopped for lunch. Over to KMart, where my friend wanted a stand for the TV, he said it should be $99.99, employee who checked on it said $39.99, but they didn't have any for sale in the back, and couldn't sell the display.

Stuck in traffic over an hour to get back to town. Dropped TV at friend's house, got more gas, went to eyeglass place to get new frames (broke them yesterday), went to work to get friend's check.

Over to bank. Out to CompUsa looking for $14.99 Polar Express. Out. Over to Costco, out without anything. Over to Kmart, they wouldn't match the price for the TV stand.

Over to Home Depot, in and out empty handed.

Drove back to Ventura Kmart to argue about TV stand. They said it was a tag for another item, and no other stands in stock. Got the manager to agree to sell the display for $39.99. Over to Oxnard CompUsa for Polar Express. Out. Over to Wal-Mart to price match. They had weird 2 disc combinations. Across the street to Best Buy, price matched without hassle.

Both friend and I bought copies, got free lithographs. Back to Ventura Target for friend to get Madagascar and War of the Worlds for $14.88

Burger at 9 pm for dinner. More gas. Back at friend's house at 10 to drop off TV stand.

Home by 10:45.

Fun, but boy, am I beat. Slept 3 hours (give or take) and been up 21. Glad I have the weekend off as well. Friend isn't so lucky.
Old 11-26-05, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

Does anybody know who is going to be continuing their BF sales through Saturday? Out of the big stores, like Wall Mart, Target, Best Buy, Frys, Kmart? Will there even be anything left? Thanks all.
Old 11-26-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDsport16
Does anybody know who is going to be continuing their BF sales through Saturday? Out of the big stores, like Wall Mart, Target, Best Buy, Frys, Kmart? Will there even be anything left? Thanks all.
Who knows whether anything will be left - you'll have to investigate for yourself. Perhaps someone in the SF area can comment.

Obviously none of the 5AM - 11AM (or thereabouts) sales will carryover but many were advertised as 2 day sales - so yes, Target, Kmart and many others will have Saturday specials
Old 11-26-05, 09:02 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I hadn't planned to do any shopping Friday, but after an afternoon showing of Chicken Little with the kids, we stopped by Best Buy and I got Arrested Development S2. This was around 3 p.m.; they seemed to be well-stocked in the DVD section and the checkout lines weren't long. Then went to Gamestop and picked up Kinsey, Lost Highway, and Intolerable Cruelty for around $10. Kids got The Rookie, A Christmas Story, and some Pokemon movie for the same price. So all in all, a good day.
Old 11-26-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Went out last night, got everything I wanted (which wasn't much) with no waiting at all.

Circuit City
Coldplay X&Y - $6.99
K-Ci and JoJo All My Life: Their Greatest Hits - $6.99

Best Buy
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox) - $9.99

Will go out later and try to get That 70's Show S3 for $17.88 from Target. Didn't know about that one.
Old 11-26-05, 09:24 AM

I mainly use Black Friday as a way to try and get in a holiday mood, which is good since this year there was nothing on sale that I really wanted. So I left around ten to see if the ad from CC for Call Of Duty included GameCube (it didn't) so I gave my Playstation copy to a very happy lady. Big crowd there.
Went to Media Play next to see if the three dollars off every DVD would make any difference. It didn't. Crowds not as big at Media Play as last year.
Found plenty of titles on sale at Game Stop/EB Games, including the Call Of Duty for Game Cube, so I got it along with another title to qualify for the special BF deal. Like last year, only a few people in the store.
Next I went to Best Buy just for the heck of it. Not that crowded with plenty of sale titles still in stock, yet there was nothing that I wanted or did not already have (usually purchased at prices very close to the BF sale price). Back home by 11 am.
By the way, congratulations to GMLSKIS who bought the laundry detergent and batteries. That is a smart shopper.
Old 11-26-05, 09:38 AM
Wipeout

All from Best Buy
24 season 2 - $19.99
24 season 3 - $19.99
Arrested Development season 2 - $14.99
The Shield season 2 - $19.99
The Shield season 2 - $19.99

It took about 1.5hrs to checkout. It was well worth it.
Old 11-26-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
That's only certain stores (Best Buy in particular, and Circuit City). The way around it is to go a little later to Wal-Mart, Meijer, and possibly K-Mart -- stores that price match.

I've been to Best Buy once on a Black Friday - never again. The good deals are taken up by the people who have waited 5+ hours outside (and it was down to 11ºF yesterday morning (actual temp, not including wind chill)), and if you go a little later (say, an hour or half hour before the store opens) you then need to wait for a long period of time in line. What that effectively does is makes it impossible to get good deals at other stores since you can't make it anywhere else in a timely manner.

Why not stay in line at BB, get the ticket for the big items on sale you are interested in, leave and go to other stores and then come back before noon without any lines at BB to get the items you wanted. I did that. I got ALL the big deals at BB by standing 30 mins in line and then going back right before noon and spending a total of 20 mins in store
Old 11-26-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First stop was Target at 5:40AM. We were in the door very fast, hardly any wait once the doors opened. The girlfriend got the portable poker table for 24.96 and the Trivial Pursuit Pop Trivia 2 for $18. I picked up That 70's Show Season 3 for $17.88 and the first Harry Potter for 5.88. I also picked up a Black & Decker dust buster for $30.

Then we went to Walgreens. We purchased a total of 4 Cool Waters 4.2 oz bottles of cologne for 9.97 each. I just love that stuff. It usually sells for about $42 so that deal alone was worth the trip. I would have bought more but they had a 2 bottle limit. I also picked up 6 - 12 packs of pop for a total of $14.00 as well as some buy 1 get 2 free wrapping paper for $1.99.

The last stop was AC Moore at 8:45 PM at night. It's a craft store here in the south. they just opened it a few months ago. I picked up 5 hanes short sleeve shirts for a total of $10 and also had a coupon for 60% off any 1 item. I picked up an unfinished wood nightstand for about $18.00 after the discount which was an excellent deal. And lastly I picked up a large poster frame for 9.98 .

Overall I had a great time shopping with the GF as this was her first Black Friday. She was as giddy as a little school girl. In the morning it took a total of 1 hr and 15 minutes for us to go to 2 different stores, get everything, and leave. We were back in bed by 7:25 AM. No hassle, no waiting, no running, no shoving, no wasted trips, no rude cashiers or customers, no missed deals, etc, etc, etc.

After everything was said and done I saved over $225 for 2 hours of my time which was fun to boot. So to the nay sayers I give you my testimonial. Proof positive that not all Black Friday trips are a waste.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 11-26-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-26-05, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by animefan
I actually did get up early to go to few stores, but pain of finding a parking spot, lines being ridiculously long, the ones that I really want being sold out, and Bestbuy saying they will not pricematch today have made me so irritated that I didn't get anything and wasted good 4 hours.

I will never participate in Black Friday at the stores again. I am going to stay in comfort of my home, and browse the web for best prices.
Could not agree more. Getting up at 3:30 AM, and getting virtually no good deals totally turned me off. This was my 3rd and final year of doing B&M BF deals. When people who order online get BETTER deals than someone who waits in lines for 3 hours in the rain and a hot/humid store, you have to be a total idiot to waste your time on it.

I had all the stuff in my shopping cart at circuitcity.com but decided to go to the B&M anyway because I figured it wouldn't be too bad if you could just order the same stuff online. Apparently ordering online for BF is some "secret" because half of Sacramento was lined up outside of Circuit City and about 10 people were in the "online pickup" line...

I did not even go into Best Buy this year because of the line. $19.99 for 24 season 1 is not even that good of a deal relative to what it has been in the past, and that is all I wanted there.

I'm extremely bitter now about BF. I will leave the animals to themselves next year and just pay $3 in shipping.

Last edited by Gamelore; 11-26-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-26-05, 10:52 AM

DVD
Curb Your Enthusiasm 1
Simpsons 6
Family Guy 2
Road to Perdition
The Pianist
The Last Boy Scout
Donnie Brasco
Thirteen Days
Reservoir Dogs
--------------
Half Life Anthology
Half Life 2
--------------
512 Sandisk

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.