Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday AFTERMATH - What did you buy at the Black Friday Sales?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copy of what I posted at another place :
We got a ton of crap for the kids .

The highlight of the day is the $8 light sabers from WalMart . Wife got 2 for the 2 kids and I said "How are they gonna fight without me " So I got a 3rd
We (me ) decided to not wait till Christmas for the sabers , we have been fighting here but my 3 yeard old wacks the crap out of your fingers .
The sabers are waaaaay cool . They light up and have swoosh + clashing sounds .

The downside of the day ?

Target's security Nazi decided a 16 year old kid who went with us to help get toys for us during toys r us BF at 5am , had "slipped something in his pocket" . The kid was scared to hell and I was like WTF . He (the Nazi) pulled the kid away from us OUTSIDE the store to question him infront of a Police Officer . I had no clue what was going on till I heard him say "What's in your pocket" then I RUSHED over to where he , the kid and the cop were at . He said "Uhh , my cell phone" and pulled it out of his pocket . The Target Nazi then says "What else is on your pocket" and the kid says "My wallet " and pulls it out . The Nazi looks over at the cop as if he wants the officer to strip search a 16 year old kid infront of Target . The cop gave him a "Whata dip^%$#" look and a brief pause and then they started breaking up . The nazi tells me "A customer reported to us that they saw him put something in his pocket and walk out" . He then walks towards my wife and asks who the mother is , which was not with us . He looks at the kid and says "Uhh , OK" and turns around and disappears into the store .
My wife flipped out and demanded a manager , which shortly came out and took the info and is supposed to call when she finds out what happened .
Obviously the kid did nothing wrong , if he had thiuer security cams would have caught it and then his father would have caught his neck and rung it
The Nazi simply saw a kid who dresses like a skater walk out of the store with a buldge in his pocket and assumes he had nailed a "atta-boy" for nailing a thief .

I fell pretty bad for him , he is a great kid but looks a little riffy-rafty because of the grundge skater look . 10 minutes after the Nazi left his hands were still shaking cause the guy scared him so badly . He was trying to shake off the incident like he was not afraid but I told him I would have been scared .

2 hours later we went back to WalMart (when we got the 3rd saber) and as we entered the store through the garden center , I asked the greeter to please pat the kid down before we go in to save us the trouble
By then he had relaxed and was taking it in pretty good stride .
I did not like walking out of Target after dropping $230 and having a member of my almost family be harassed . The guy could have atleast said sorry , he couldnt even do that .... just "OK" .

Perhaps my days of Target are behind us .,

Still happy to have freddie got fingered
Old 11-25-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may be wrong about this, but I think there is some liability if a store stops you and accuses you erroneously. I know when I was a retail manager, I was not permitted to stop a suspected shoplifter unless I was willing to put my job on the line that they stole, and still had the item after they walked out the door. I would definitely push the issue if the kid was questioned out in the open in front of the store. He should have been brought to a private location before being questioned.
Old 11-25-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't get up this morning (mmm sleep) for BF, but we went out to Old Navy a couple hours ago (I know, a non-DVD/entertainment place) and then Target, since it was next door. They had a stack of the Family Guy sets, Simpsons S6, Sex and the City S6 and all of the Disney titles from their ad. They sure ditched the slipcases for Cinderella quickly, didn't they?

Anyway, I didn't get anything from Target, but hit up a couple of GameStops and landed Dumbo, so I'm happy.
Old 11-25-05, 07:46 PM

Hey Lemondrop I wouldnt have given that Target a dime of my money. The kid probably thought you sold him out by spending hundreds in the store that harrassed him. I like deals and all, but my pride is more important. They arent supposed to treat paying customers that way. I would have told Target to kiss my ass and price matched their shit at Best Buy.

And on a sidenote, my next door neighbor is a manager at Target and they take customer service VERY seriously. You should report them.
Old 11-25-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up 24 Season 2 & 3 online. $45 shipped. Gotta love that.
Old 11-25-05, 07:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NC-36
We went to Walmart yesterday, picked all the DVDs we wanted to pricematch today, and stuck them in layaway.

While I slept this morning my wife went back, breezed by all the insanity, and had the layaway DVDs price-adjusted then paid-out. She said they were slightly pissed

She also picked up Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil for $19.99 (half-price) at the GameStop next door to Walmart.

Awesome idea. Never dawned on me to use layawya and than pm. Next year I will try that
Old 11-25-05, 08:01 PM

Black Friday:

Picked up:
Cinderella - $8.99 (circuit city)
Family Guy Vol 2 - $15.99 (circuit city)
Family Guy Untold - $8.88 (target)
The Incredibles - $8.77 (fry's)

then some other crap:
Argentosama 1 + box: $9.99 (fry's)
Argentosama 4, 5, 6: $6.99 each (fry's)
Sega Classics Collection (PS2): $14.99 (circuit city)

I got to Circuit City at 4:20 AM, and was about the 400th person there. The line wrapped around the building, and it was raining. A lot of the early people had to stand in the rain, but fortunately my position was covered.

I was too late on The Incredibles (WS), and all they had was The Incredibles (FS). I grabbed it, thinking it was (WS) and got the 3rd from last Family Guy vol 2. Then quickly got a Cinderella and got a nice place in the checkout line.

Then I realized I had the (FS) version of The Incredibles. I went and put it back, and looked frantically for (WS), but couldn't find it. Ultimately, I got back in line about 5 minutes later and the line was about 5 times as long, and wrapped around the inside of the store. I spent 2 hours in the line thanks to fullscreen The Incredibles F*** FULLSCREEN!

I hit Target for the Stewie Griffin story. Then I went to Fry's late in the afternoon and scooped up The Incredibles for less than it would have been at Circuit City Too bad they were out of Bambi.
Old 11-25-05, 08:16 PM

slept in till about 8am. began with Walmart around 9am.
War of the Worlds with bonus disc - $10
Polar Express with bonus disc (picked up 2) -$10 each
Toy Story - $7
Aladdin - $7
Wallace and Grommit in 3 Amazing Adventures - $3.44
Minority Report - $3.44
Sound of Music - PM to DVDPlanet for $15.99
Star Wars foosball table - $54.87

DVDPlanet:
24 Season 3 - PM'd to circuity city for $21.99 (forgot to bring the best buy ad!)
Family Guy, vol.2 PM'd to Circuit City ad for $15.99

Went home for lunch (and a break). Hit Target around 1pm
Stewie Griffin - $8.88
Family Guy, vol. 2 - $17.88
Anchorman (w/watch) - $5.88
Shrek (w/watch) - $5.88
Shrek 2 (w/watch) - $5.88
Shark Tale (w/watch) - $5.88
Winnie the Pooh CD visor wallet (x3) - $2.48each
Old 11-25-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I may be wrong about this, but I think there is some liability if a store stops you and accuses you erroneously. I know when I was a retail manager, I was not permitted to stop a suspected shoplifter unless I was willing to put my job on the line that they stole, and still had the item after they walked out the door. I would definitely push the issue if the kid was questioned out in the open in front of the store. He should have been brought to a private location before being questioned.
HUGE liability issues. The questioning should have been done in a private location and if the individual at any time actually used the word theft, steal or any such word there is legal ramifications. I hope the poster got the name of the target rent-a-cop that did this. I would immediately send a letter to the store as well as call the corporate offices about the situation. Make a lot of noise and demand to be kept in the loop about the investigation and the outcome as well as knowing how the rent-a-cop will be re-trained to better identify shoplifters.

In order for someone to be accused of theft a store employee must follow the SCOPE rule as it's sometimes called. Watch a person "S"elect the item, "C"onceal the item, make no "O"ffer to "P"ay for the item and then "E"xit the store. If for anytime a store employee loses line of sight with a person they should not accuse because the person could easily throw something into a display or behind a fixture in the store.

It is legal for a person to say "I saw you looking at our (Insert Item Name Here), would you like to pay for the (Insert Item Name Here) that you selected now?" or "Would you like us to hold that (Insert Item Name Here) at the Service Desk while you continue to shop?"
Old 11-25-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by twinstar
slept in till about 8am. began with Walmart around 9am.
War of the Worlds with bonus disc - $10
Polar Express with bonus disc (picked up 2) -$10 each
Was this a local pricing reduction at Wal-Mart? I would have jumped on those prices if I had know they were just $10 each.
Old 11-25-05, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Went into Target at 6:15, got -Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story - $8.88 -they must have had 50 copies; went to <10 items checkout; in and out in 10 minutes and got to work at 6:40a.
Later at staples.com got Norton SW 2006 Premier FAR and $20 surge protector for $.38. That was it. Drove by jammed packed parking lots of Sears, Circuit City, CompUSA & BestBuy on the way to work.
Old 11-25-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
HUGE liability issues. The questioning should have been done in a private location and if the individual at any time actually used the word theft, steal or any such word there is legal ramifications. I hope the poster got the name of the target rent-a-cop that did this. I would immediately send a letter to the store as well as call the corporate offices about the situation. Make a lot of noise and demand to be kept in the loop about the investigation and the outcome as well as knowing how the rent-a-cop will be re-trained to better identify shoplifters.

In order for someone to be accused of theft a store employee must follow the SCOPE rule as it's sometimes called. Watch a person "S"elect the item, "C"onceal the item, make no "O"ffer to "P"ay for the item and then "E"xit the store. If for anytime a store employee loses line of sight with a person they should not accuse because the person could easily throw something into a display or behind a fixture in the store.

It is legal for a person to say "I saw you looking at our (Insert Item Name Here), would you like to pay for the (Insert Item Name Here) that you selected now?" or "Would you like us to hold that (Insert Item Name Here) at the Service Desk while you continue to shop?"
I thought so. There was a monetary reward for catching a shoplifter, but we had to stress to the workers that there was no doubt in their minds. As said, if the theif ditches what they were going to lift, and you stop them, you are in deep trouble, especially if you detain them. I wasn't sure if this was a store policy or state law. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 11-25-05, 08:48 PM

Menard's $3 sale:

- CLINT EASTWOOD COLLECTION: Pink Cadillac, Bronco Billy, The Gauntlet
- JUSTICE LEAGUE ON TRIAL
- GRAND THEFT AUTO (25th Anniversary Collection)
- AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (Collector's Edition)
- WAKING UP IN RENO
- THE SUNSHINE BOYS
- THE ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1960, MGM version)
- THE CHAPLIN COLLECTION: THE CIRCUS
Old 11-25-05, 09:05 PM

Got Shield S2 S3, Meet the Fockers, A Beautiful Mind, Shrek 2 @ Best Buy.

Surprised how few people picked up "The Shield." It's a great show.
Old 11-25-05, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

Got to bestbuy at about 7 this morning, easily got 24 S1-3, and got in line. The line was long, but I was surprised at their effeciency. The line wrapped almost to the back of the store, but only took 15-20 minutes.

Then headed to Target, and let my buddy get their last copy of Family Guy S3, and said I would try my luck at circuit city for cheaper. Also looked for Shrek2, but it was all sold out (and no rainchecks offered).

Headed to Circuit City, only to find that they had NOTHING that I wanted. They had about 40 copies of Seinfeld 1+2, as well as Will&Grace, but no Family Guy or Incredibles for 9 bucks. I was disgusted with the way they had their store set up. They had bins in random places, and some tiny little display showcasing their tv on dvd on sale (which was not even near the dvd section...). I don't know that Circuit City will ever get my business, they have sales that are appealing sometimes, but the two stores I've been to here in Oregon have been the worst organized, most frantic stores I've ever been to period.

Anyway, headed to another Target on the way home and they had about 25 copies of Family Guy S3, so I picked that up. Didn't manage to get Shrek2 again, but there was a raincheck available (for all titles that were out of stock- I was surprised), so I picked up that raincheck as well.

Finally tally - 24S1-3, Family Guy S3, and a Shrek2 raincheck.

Oh and some 50% off socks at Fred Meyer.
Old 11-25-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Left the house a little after 5, got in line at Target at 5:20 am (opens at 6). The line by the doors next to the electronics had about 50 people, the line by the housewares section had maybe 10, so I stood in the shorter line figuring I would just walk quickly across the store which I did when they opened. Picked up the Kawasaki 9” DVD player ($139) and a Kodak camera ($89?), the camera because they were going very quickly and I wasn’t sure if I wanted one or not. Then I went to look for the bag / car adapter for the DVD player. Found it, there were only three so I took one. Then I was looking at it thinking “there’s no car adapter in this”, and asked a clerk – the sign was on the wrong item, the real item was in the locked section. She passed out the *three* they had in stock (I got one) and moved the sign. This was on the front page of their sale ad and they only had three in stock?

Looked for the Madagascar Gamecube game, they didn’t have it, so I picked up Simpson’s Road Rage for the Gameboy Advance ($9.99). Decided I didn’t want the camera (which was long out of stock at this point though there were still a handful of the DVD players) and gave it to a lady who was looking for one. Funny thing was, about a minute later they brought out another 20 or so which lasted a few minutes.

So, left with the DVD player, case/car adapter, and Simpson’s Road Rage game for $170 after tax, used the electronics checkout (was second in line, very quick).

Then I went to Farm and Home Supply, they had advertised Carhartt jackets for $29.99 (regularly $72). Got there at 6:45, they opened at 7. Got in and went right to that rack, it was a zoo. I was trying to find my size and people were literally taking 5 or 6 coats at a time and leaving, to search for their sizes elsewhere (and dumping the rest). I asked a lady in front of me if a coat she had just looked at and put back was a large, it was, so I took it as several other hands were reaching for it. The rack was empty in 30 seconds or less.

Then I looked for a heavier Carhartt coat since they were 20% off, found one, and left. A Carhartt jacket and coat for $101 after tax.

I had spent some time there looking at the coats, so after that I went straight to Bergners since I had a $10 off $10 item coupon (was in the flyer). Found a nice flannel Nike jacket for my son on sale, $3.80 after coupon.

I called it a day after that.

Originally Posted by laserdogg

Target 10 minutes after opening, pretty busy - 20+ minute wait at checkouts. Used the electronics checkout and bypassed the waiting

Kawasaki 9" LCD Portable DVD player $139.00 30 minutes after opening these were gone - I got the 2nd to last unit
If you have kids, take a look for the case / car adapter. I believe the regular price was $15; the case is a case that can also be used to hold the DVD player on the back of a car’s headrest – it’s not a generic case, it was made specifically for that 9” Kawasaki model.

And what was the deal with the 7" DVD players? It seemed that *every* store had them on sale for $80 to $100, but they were all brands I hadn't heard of; I think we made the right choice with the 9" $139 one.

Originally Posted by Lemondrop
...he is a great kid but looks a little riffy-rafty because of the grundge skater look …
While I don’t condone unjustified harassment, when you dress like a grunge skater you will get extra scrutiny. Appearance does matter.

Last edited by Heat; 11-25-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-25-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RonMexico
Hey Lemondrop I wouldnt have given that Target a dime of my money. The kid probably thought you sold him out by spending hundreds in the store that harrassed him. I like deals and all, but my pride is more important. They arent supposed to treat paying customers that way. I would have told Target to kiss my ass and price matched their shit at Best Buy.

And on a sidenote, my next door neighbor is a manager at Target and they take customer service VERY seriously. You should report them.
Umm, he'd already bought the stuff, so he would've had to go back in and get his money back, which I'm sure would've been even more humiliating to the kid.
Old 11-25-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gamelore
Then I realized I had the (FS) version of The Incredibles. I went and put it back, and looked frantically for (WS), but couldn't find it. Ultimately, I got back in line about 5 minutes later and the line was about 5 times as long, and wrapped around the inside of the store. I spent 2 hours in the line thanks to fullscreen The Incredibles F*** FULLSCREEN!
Circuit only carries the FS version of The Incredibles nowadays. Most stores had to send back their WS copies awhile ago.
Old 11-25-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nada for me. Shopping before 1 or 2 PM is a no go for me these days.

Glad everyone got some good deals, though!
Old 11-25-05, 09:51 PM
Banned

Just got back from Super Target and picked up..

Meet The Fockers WS $5.88
Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story $8.88
That 70's Show Season 3 $17.88

Great deals this year. Was going to pick up

Napoleon Dynamite ($8.88)
The Longest Yard WS (2005, $8.88)
Shark Tale WS ($5.88)
Shrek 2 WS ($5.88)

BUT, they were all sold out, , O well. Adleast I did not have to get up early, and deal with a bunch of damn angry swarming soccer moms, and wait a billion minutes in line, gosh.
Old 11-25-05, 10:31 PM

Got to Best Buy at about 6:40, waited in line for 20 minutes or so. Got in, got my stuff, got in line for 40 minutes or so, and went home.

Got:

Meet the Parents - 5.00
Apollo 13 - 5.00
Amityville Horror (2005) - 10.00
Minority Report - 4.00

Not bad. I'll try that layaway trick next year... thanks!
Old 11-25-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Picked up Cinderella and The Last Boyscout.

I'm probably going to search for an Up-Convert DVD player over the weekend. Though with my mixed collection (NTSC/PAL), I'm sure I'll have a hell of time finding one that suits my needs.
Old 11-25-05, 10:47 PM

Target
Simpsons season 6- $17.88
Harry Potter II and III- $5.88 each. First store I went to only had FS but I found WS ones at another store.

Fry's
Firefly- $23.99
Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection- $19.99

My girlfriend bought a few box sets at Best Buy. The line snaked around the store. We waited about an hour, I guess, but the line moved quickly, since they have about 11 or 12 registers. We first left Circuit City empty-handed. They only have one dedicated register there, but they often ring up purchases at customer service, and they were also ringing people up at the computers that the staff use to look up items. I can only imagine how long the wait was.

Last edited by Ravid; 11-25-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-25-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Call me a skeptic...

Is it really worth fighting sleep to get:

Bedazzled, and The Cat in the Hat for 4.00?

Where's the victory?

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 11-25-05 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-25-05, 11:16 PM

I actually did get up early to go to few stores, but pain of finding a parking spot, lines being ridiculously long, the ones that I really want being sold out, and Bestbuy saying they will not pricematch today have made me so irritated that I didn't get anything and wasted good 4 hours.

I will never participate in Black Friday at the stores again. I am going to stay in comfort of my home, and browse the web for best prices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.