Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can any of you guys seriously explain to me how the "layers" for these displays make any sense at all? The displays are built to be one on top of the other, since they "hook" together on the top and bottom.

I just don't understand the thinking in this at all.
Old 10-28-05, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Can any of you guys seriously explain to me how the "layers" for these displays make any sense at all? The displays are built to be one on top of the other, since they "hook" together on the top and bottom.

I just don't understand the thinking in this at all.
i agree with you completely, but i don't thing it's even meant as a display, at least not as they're seen in the stores. i've always seen them sitting on a pallet, like it was just brought out on a forklift, and dropped in the middle of an aisle. it appears designed to be able to move en masse, quickly, that's it. the stores that have motivated workers or managers, put them in appropriate displays, the ones that don't leave them like so.
Old 10-28-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, all of them I've seen have been on pallets also, but all of the layers do hook together to create the horrible display, so it must be on purpose. I could think of a million different ways to display these DVDs.
Old 10-28-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's funny to see the selling trends of Fletch on eBay. Lots of high closing prices a week ago, but now we've got some sellers with seven copies up for auction at once.
Old 10-28-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Give it about 2 weeks and the trend should go back.
Old 10-28-05, 03:01 AM

For those in the Salem, Oregon area the wal-mart on Mission (the new one) has the display near the magazines up front. only saw one Fletch and got it. Couldnt get to the back side of the display, so there may be more.

they also had both versions of Reality Bites and a few Galaxy Quests.

i picked up Reality Bites 10th ann. Fletch, Man in the Moon, and Psycho remake.

Will check the Lancaster Wal-mart this weekend.

Last edited by LeeVing; 10-28-05 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks OP for the heads up.

My local wal mart had the display between Herbie and House of Wax displays so it was hardly touched.

I got:

Skulls
Skulls 2(DTS)
October Sky SE(DTS)
Far and Away
2 Copies of Fletch(one for me and one for my bro!)
Somewhere in Time(Don't think its anamorphic but still a nice movie)
How To Be A Player(Another Non anamorphic but still a great flick)
Mask(Eric Stoltz and Cher) - Director's Cut(DTS)
Bulletproof
Reality Bites 10th Anniversary
Very Bad Things(Non Anamorphic but a good show)
Bride of Chucky(ok, so I have a thing for Jennifer Tilly)
Jaws 2
Old 10-28-05, 07:32 AM

Anyone else noticed Wal-Mart has been putting these "4.88" DVD's out about every other month. We had the Paramount display (Beverly Hills Cop, General's Daughter, etc.), the Warner Bros. display from earlier this summer with (Rush Hour, all those freakin Seagal movies, etc.) the Warner Bros. display last month (One Crazy Summer, Spartan, etc.) and now the Universal display (Fletch, Weird Science, etc.). What's next the Fox display?
Old 10-28-05, 09:07 AM

Star Wars Guy: Did you find Fletch in the Bloomington/Normal area or Peoria? I will be in the B/N area next week and want to check it out. Thanks.
Old 10-28-05, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jessecrx
Thanks OP for the heads up.

My local wal mart had the display between Herbie and House of Wax displays so it was hardly touched.

I got:

Skulls
Skulls 2(DTS)
October Sky SE(DTS)
Far and Away
2 Copies of Fletch(one for me and one for my bro!)
Somewhere in Time(Don't think its anamorphic but still a nice movie)
How To Be A Player(Another Non anamorphic but still a great flick)
Mask(Eric Stoltz and Cher) - Director's Cut(DTS)
Bulletproof
Reality Bites 10th Anniversary
Very Bad Things(Non Anamorphic but a good show)
Bride of Chucky(ok, so I have a thing for Jennifer Tilly)
Jaws 2
Regarding Somewhere in Time, there is a collectors edition of that available, but it's not the one in this display.
Old 10-28-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Regarding Somewhere in Time, there is a collectors edition of that available, but it's not the one in this display.

Thanks! I'll take this one back and swap it for another title! I had no idea there was an SE available.

I appreciate the headsup!
Old 10-28-05, 12:18 PM

... Somewhere in Time SCE: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=1265&___rd=1
Old 10-28-05, 01:48 PM

Still nothing at the Scarborough, ME store as of noon today (Friday).
Old 10-28-05, 04:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The SE Portland store had the display up on Thursday when I went. It's in the video section. Totally unfriendly (the display, not the people), because the cases are on shelves with no room to see what is in them unless you start flinging DVDs on the floor.

I did manage to find a single copy of the Francis the Mule set, and also Johnny English and Man in the Moon (lots of them). I don't think I saw any Fletch there, but I didn't really look. I do have a question for those who bought Fletch. Did you buy it just because it's out of print. Or do you actually like the movie? I remember it as OK, but not something that's on my must-have list.
Old 10-28-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I LOVE the movie. Hilarious stuff.
Old 10-28-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple of other titles not mentioned yet:
The Contender
The Hitcher II
Old 10-28-05, 05:52 PM

TRACY california Walmart has a big display in the middle of the aisle in front of the video section. They has every title listed here and I saw multpile copies of all.
Old 10-28-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to let you guys know, I was snooping around the "Horror Halloween" section of the DVD's and my Wal Mart had JUST put out these spiffy lookin DVD's made by Vintage Home Entertainment. They come with LE Hologram Slip Covers. They all have 3 movies each

Darkness Tolls - The Satanic Rights of Dracula/Horror Express/Horror Hotel
All starring Christopher Lee.

Ghost Killers - Tormented/Nightmare Castle/The Spirit Hunter

Vicious Vixens - The Vampire Happening/Lady Frankenstein/Vicious Kiss

Bela Lugosi(King Of The Undead) - White Zombie/The Corpse Vanishes/One Body Too Many

The Undead Rising - Revolt of the Zombies/Night Of The Living Dead/Hard Rock Zombies

They are all $5.50

I cracked open The Undead Rising and I checked out the PQ for NOTLD and it's not that great(I have seen worse). The sound comes from all 4 surround speakers. Then I checked out Hard Rock Zombies and OMG! This is the kind of cheese I live for!!! Not a bad purchase, especially since I haven't seen some of these movies on DVD at all.
Old 10-28-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was back in Walmart again today and tried to find a copy of Fletch. I looked in the middle section of the display and peeled forward one of the inside dividers so I could see some of the discs in the middle. In the first section I checked, I pulled out 2 copies of Fletch. I bought both, one for me and one for my mom.
Old 10-28-05, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SteveA
The SE Portland store had the display up on Thursday when I went. It's in the video section. Totally unfriendly (the display, not the people), because the cases are on shelves with no room to see what is in them unless you start flinging DVDs on the floor.

I did manage to find a single copy of the Francis the Mule set, and also Johnny English and Man in the Moon (lots of them). I don't think I saw any Fletch there, but I didn't really look. I do have a question for those who bought Fletch. Did you buy it just because it's out of print. Or do you actually like the movie? I remember it as OK, but not something that's on my must-have list.
It's all ball bearings!
(to a woman just out of the shower) Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
Put it on the Underhill's account.

I think it's a great movie. Classic Chevy Chase. Up there with Modern Problems and the first Vacation movie. Lots of funny stuff, and his disguises are good, but there's a "serious" story to it, so it's not all fluff. I also still love the music. The only part that's always been kinda "eh" for me is his basketball dream. Maybe 'cuz I've never been into basketball. But it's brief.
Old 10-28-05, 08:10 PM

There is another of these called "killer gorillas" or something like that. I saw them a couple of days ago while looking for the universal display.

Originally Posted by jessecrx
Just to let you guys know, I was snooping around the "Horror Halloween" section of the DVD's and my Wal Mart had JUST put out these spiffy lookin DVD's made by Vintage Home Entertainment. They come with LE Hologram Slip Covers. They all have 3 movies each

Darkness Tolls - The Satanic Rights of Dracula/Horror Express/Horror Hotel
All starring Christopher Lee.

Ghost Killers - Tormented/Nightmare Castle/The Spirit Hunter

Vicious Vixens - The Vampire Happening/Lady Frankenstein/Vicious Kiss

Bela Lugosi(King Of The Undead) - White Zombie/The Corpse Vanishes/One Body Too Many

The Undead Rising - Revolt of the Zombies/Night Of The Living Dead/Hard Rock Zombies

They are all $5.50

I cracked open The Undead Rising and I checked out the PQ for NOTLD and it's not that great(I have seen worse). The sound comes from all 4 surround speakers. Then I checked out Hard Rock Zombies and OMG! This is the kind of cheese I live for!!! Not a bad purchase, especially since I haven't seen some of these movies on DVD at all.
Old 10-28-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Let me know about the Biddeford one. The Falmouth one seems pretty unlikely to ever have the display, as their movie section is tiny. The other two I'm not familiar with.

Went back to Scarborough Wal-Mart today - and STILL nothing! Checked Windham, as it's the closest SuperCenter, and they had nothing, too. My friend said he saw nothing at Biddeford yet, either. And I looked EVERYWHERE in the stores, too.

Hope this stuff makes it up northeast sometime this century.
Old 10-28-05, 09:57 PM

Finally scored me a copy of Fletch today in Austin,Tx. A couple other titles they had that haven't been mentioned thus far: King Ralph, The Babe, Bob and Harvey Weinstein's movie Playing for Keeps, and Child's Play 2.
Old 10-28-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

Hope this stuff makes it up northeast sometime this century.
Nothing at the Shelton, Connecticut location either. I'll be checking out the Derby location tomorrow and will post my findings.
Old 10-28-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally found the display in MA today after checking three stores pretty much daily.

Picked up Fletch, Spy Game, Kindergarten Cop, Reality Bites, and 1941. Forgot to try and find Weird Science.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.