Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '05

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '05

Old 06-05-05, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still no plans for a volume release for Zeta, so if you want it cough up the cash for the box.
Old 06-06-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
Yeah, except Zeta, which has some pretty craptacular packaging in terms of the dvds themselves. I wish they'd rerelease that without the stupid figures and in a decent case. I would have bought it by now if it had normal packaging.
Yeah, no individual release for Zeta yet.

Not sure if you just hate thinpaks, mifuneral, but the figures seem more like a bonus to me. Sure, they added some cost, but you get ten volumes for 200 bucks... that's 1 volume for 20 bucks, before discounts, even, which is pretty cheap, and I doubt individuals would be any cheaper. Personally, I thought the packaging was well done, and they even solved the lack of individual inserts by having the booklet... for a longer, older series, I prefer that it takes up less space.

Thinpaks also seem to be popular, now, with ADV seemingly giving up on bricks and moving toward thinpak boxsets, and Geneon's recent Stellvia box + volume 1 + thinpaks for the rest of the series. also, a lot of TV series are going this route, and personally I like them better than either bricks or those cardboard cases...
Old 06-06-05, 05:04 PM
Defunct Account

The DVD Empire deals on Sailor Moon S and Full Metal Panic are now dead.
Old 06-06-05, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
The DVD Empire deals on Sailor Moon S and Full Metal Panic are now dead.
Full Metal Panic is still coming up as $41.39
Old 06-06-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Full Metal Panic $41.39 = Excellent deal
Old 06-06-05, 08:26 PM
Defunct Account

That's odd, it was $89.99 a little while ago. I guess they changed it back.
Old 06-06-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

has anyone recently found the deals at Best Buy? I went by tonight since there are a couple I wouldn't mind getting and the prices on all but 1 were at least $10 higher than listed here. I thought about taking them up and getting the prices scanned but I didn't really want to stand in line to find out.
Old 06-06-05, 10:17 PM
mvc

Originally Posted by duganrm
has anyone recently found the deals at Best Buy? I went by tonight since there are a couple I wouldn't mind getting and the prices on all but 1 were at least $10 higher than listed here. I thought about taking them up and getting the prices scanned but I didn't really want to stand in line to find out.
None of the BB prices are actually listed on the packaging. There is usually staff around the place that can pricecheck stuff for you without waiting in line. I'm not sure if the deals still exist, but its worth doing a pricecheck at least. I just bought Steel Angel Kurumi and Dai Guard last week, so I'm guessing the deals are still around. It seems they restock them too, since I went there last month, and they didn't have the two I bought in stock.
Old 06-06-05, 10:35 PM

Deals are still there, some stores will put the new price stickers, others don't.
Old 06-06-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hrmm, I seem to have had the wrong impression about the Zeta set, then. I was just going by stuff I heard on another forum, since I never actually saw the inside of the set.

maybe I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-07-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theandyman85
Full Metal Panic is still coming up as $41.39
Not anymore-$68.38. This deal is now indeed dead.
Old 06-07-05, 10:26 AM

DVD pricesearch is listing BestPrices.com has teh Now and Then, Here and There colletion for $7.57
http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/719987216921IE
Old 06-07-05, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by grune
DVD pricesearch is listing BestPrices.com has teh Now and Then, Here and There colletion for $7.57

Yeah, but it says it's a Pre-Order. What is this, a Signature release, or something?

I've never gone with these guys. Are they decent with mis-prices?

I may be very interested in this, if anyone has any thoughts.

Best,

-B
Old 06-07-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now and Then, Here and there is Misprice so pickup as soon as possible!!
Old 06-07-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts
Hrmm, I seem to have had the wrong impression about the Zeta set, then. I was just going by stuff I heard on another forum, since I never actually saw the inside of the set.

Well, while the packaging and the price may be great, there are still a lot of grumbling about these issues:
1. Bandai America couldn't get the rights to the Opening and Ending songs, so they're instrumentals instead. Not a huge deal for me, but for purists...
2. the subs are not 100% accurate. This is noticeable when someone says a name in Japanese, but the sub says something totally different. While it is distracting, it's still not a dealbreaker to me. What makes it worse in some people's eyes is that it seems like the subtitles are like an early version of the dub script.

It's also a rather old series, which you wouldn't be able to tell from the flashy box and coverart (this is similar to Dunbine). But it is a classic, and as I said, while they may release them as singles later, they probably won't be any cheaper than they are now.
Old 06-07-05, 11:57 AM

Thanks, man. I took a shot. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again,

-B
Old 06-07-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by duganrm
As others have said, many Best Buys haven't actually marked down their anime DVDs, but just take 'em to the register, and they should ring up for what we have them marked here. If for some reason something doesn't ring up properly, mention it here, and I'll put a note next to said product.

I really do think it's worth it, and if you could score it during DDD's 20% off sale, it'd be a total steal. I'm really pleased with the set overall, and the little beef others have had with it seem pretty trivial to me.

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Not anymore-$68.38. This deal is now indeed dead.
I marked the two recent DVD Empire deals dead. Sorry, folks.

Originally Posted by grune
Got it, thanks!

I think that's all for now. Oh, yeah. I got a new e-mail from Right Stuf yesterday, so I'll be updating with that shortly. Thanks, everyone!

Edit: Well, hold that thought because I can't seem to get the RS site working.

Last edited by justbarelymovin; 06-07-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 03:56 PM

Ordered Now & Then Here & There.

In the past, BestPrices appeared to have price-mistakes but actually was charging the "new" price for the series. That could be what's happening here, with some kind of condensed, non-box-set version of this. In any case, I already OWN this series (paid $50 for it), but I had to get another one at this price because it is literally an insane price. I plan to give it to either my brother or a friend of mine.
Old 06-07-05, 04:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget the $5 off coupon in the free DVD Insider mag from BB. You can use the coupon on select anime like Appleseed, Samurai Champloo Vol. 3, etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat62600050007
Old 06-07-05, 06:10 PM

It is a misprice and there is a rerelease at a lower MSRP, I believe its dropping to $29.95 or $34.95, most places are listing it for around $25, bestprices has the MSRP listed as $9.95. I don't think I've ever seen the MSRP drop that far on a boxed set.
Old 06-07-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 317 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamelore
Ordered Now & Then Here & There.

In the past, BestPrices appeared to have price-mistakes but actually was charging the "new" price for the series. That could be what's happening here, with some kind of condensed, non-box-set version of this. In any case, I already OWN this series (paid $50 for it), but I had to get another one at this price because it is literally an insane price. I plan to give it to either my brother or a friend of mine.
They won't honor it. They never do.
Old 06-07-05, 08:53 PM

Bestprices has the worstservice. They never honor misprices and they've screwed with too many people on "legit" orders to even make it worthwhile. Like DVDsoon, I don't even bother looking at them no matter how attractive the deal, never mind for "regular" orders.
Old 06-07-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eau
Don't forget the $5 off coupon in the free DVD Insider mag from BB. You can use the coupon on select anime like Appleseed, Samurai Champloo Vol. 3, etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat62600050007
Got it, thanks.
Old 06-07-05, 10:39 PM

BestPrices honored a Charlie Brown box set misprice 12-18 months ago, so go for it on the Then and Now!!
Old 06-08-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by New Rambler
BestPrices honored a Charlie Brown box set misprice 12-18 months ago, so go for it on the Then and Now!!
That's true. I was in on that, too. It's always worth a shot!

Also, a new update on some Miyazaki DVDs from another thread was added.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.