Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) FREE $100 AMAZON GIFT CERTIFICATE for trying AOL for 50 DAYS! Cancel w/no chrg

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) FREE $100 AMAZON GIFT CERTIFICATE for trying AOL for 50 DAYS! Cancel w/no chrg

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dkonarska
Can you tell us who you use for the virtual CC #'s?
MBNA has an excellent one, called ShopSafe®
http://www.mbnashopsafe.com

This particular time I used my DiscoverCard Deskshop®
http://www2.discovercard.com/deskshop

PEACH
Old 11-05-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would just like to say thanks to the op, I got in on this as well and I have to say this deffinately was the deal of the year. $100 Free for less than five minutes of work. That can't be beat.
Old 11-05-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MISS PEACH, for bringing to our attention the B&N deal, you deserve more than $100. I suppose it's good karma that got you in on the deal.
Old 11-05-04, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by DrGerbil
MISS PEACH, for bringing to our attention the B&N deal, you deserve more than $100. I suppose it's good karma that got you in on the deal.
Awwww. You know it sounds corny but, I really do get a high out of sharing these deals . . . and it's kind of a letdown when they blaze across the broadband and disappear within minutes. I really do enjoy seeing everyone, on a forum I'm genuinely fond of, get a little something (or in this case a BIG something heh) and then share their purchase/joy with all of us.

For years I've always been too late on deals like this. I remember there was some kind of a goofy Target GC deal which I missed (last year?) and people were hauling off hundreds of dollars of Target GC's for peanuts before it was locked. But what they were posting wasn't "I'm getting xxxxxxx luxury item with mine"; no, it was more like — what a relief, this eases my prescription drug expense for one month or I'm stocking up on toilet paper and catfood or socks for the hubby and Pampers for the baby . . . necessities. And I remember thinking it spoke volumes to our current economic woes.

I think we're still hurting economically, and that's why — in a time when we all deserve a little break from the ennui of a Post 9/11 America — these deals come into our lives like a little ray of sunshine. Personally, it's books that keep me from going mad; but movies help me to keep life in context, as well, and together they remind me of what we were . . . and what we will be again.

And I think AOL should run this deal a second time, since I'm impressed as hell they did it this once.

PEACH
Old 11-05-04, 10:03 PM

I don't think ennui means what you think it means.
Old 11-05-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
I don't think ennui means what you think it means.
A feeling of weariness and disgust. I'd probably go with malaise, but let's not get bogged down in semantics...
Old 11-05-04, 11:28 PM

A feeling of weariness and disgust.

Not quite full stop. The key is the part you left off.

A feeling of weariness and disgust; dullness and languor of spirits, arising from satiety or want of interest; tedium.

Please, no jokes about this thread becoming self-referential.
Old 11-06-04, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
A feeling of weariness and disgust.

Not quite full stop. The key is the part you left off.

A feeling of weariness and disgust; dullness and languor of spirits, arising from satiety or want of interest; tedium.

Please, no jokes about this thread becoming self-referential.
Okay, perhaps ennui was a poorly chosen word Jah-Wren. I thank you for refreshing (everyone's) memory and I stand humbly corrected.

Now where did I put that copy of Les Fleurs du Mal . . .

PEACH
juuuuuuust kidding.
Old 11-06-04, 10:12 AM

Thanks for joining America Online and getting in on the AOL $100 Holiday Giveaway!

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,

Due to unexpected demand, there will be a delay in delivery of your Amazon.com(R) gift certificate code. It will arrive within a week. Sorry for the delay, but once you receive it, you can use your code immediately at Amazon.com to save $100 on your purchases.*†

And right now you can start having fun with your FREE 50-day trial of the AOL(R) service. Check out everything from SuperBuddy(TM) icons and your favorite music to AOL's ability to scan e-mail attachments for known viruses, and much more.

We're very happy to have you as a new member, and we hope you'll start making the most of AOL's great features today.

Sincerely,

The AOL(R) Member Support Team
*See www.amazon.com/gc-legal for terms and conditions of use of the Amazon.com gift certificates. Amazon.com gift certificates are redeemable only at www.amazon.com. Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.

** FREE TRIAL MUST BE USED WITHIN 50 DAYS OF REGISTRATION FOR THE AOL SERVICE. TO AVOID BEING CHARGED FUTURE MONTHLY FEES, SIMPLY CANCEL BEFORE THE FREE TRIAL ENDS.

†Does not apply in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, or Washington; applies in New Hampshire only for gift certificates over $100. Expiration date does not apply in any other states where prohibited by law.

(C)2004 America Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

PEACH
Old 11-11-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Briefly, right after they pulled the $100, I noticed that they had a similar offer for a $50. I enrolled, but by the time a co-worker tried to, it was gone. I never even had the time to post it here.

I got a similar stall email a week or so after starting my account and just this morning the $50 GC arrived.
Old 11-11-04, 06:52 PM

yep, I got my $100 gift certificate today!
Old 11-11-04, 10:11 PM

Has anyone else had a problem redeeming their GC. I tried adding it to my account and I keep getting this error "There's something wrong with the gift certificate claim code you entered. Please check for transposed digits, omitted digits, and similar errors. " Then, I tried adding it at checkout and it gave me errors and then after a few tries it said I had $25.00 I could apply to this order. WTF? Can someone help me out.

Kyle
Old 11-11-04, 10:12 PM

I got mine today but they sent a 16 digit $25 off toy promo code instead of a 14 digit GC code.
Old 11-12-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KV12482:

This problem has popped up for a lot of other people as well, over at Fat Wallet and Something Awful. Chef is correct about it being a coupon instead of a GC. I found this over as SA as well:
Hello, all.

I just got off the phone with AOL Registration Services. Spoke to a very nice person named Sharon (with a very thick, outsourced accent). I told Sharon about my problem (a TY G.C. claim code). Explained to her that I had signed up for the promotion. Explained to her what I was supposed to receive and then what I actually did receive.

She put me on hold for a few minutes whilst consulting with what I assume to be a supervisor. She came back and told me that AOL is aware of the problem. We apparently received G.C.'s that were part of another promotion. They will be sending me a new one within 48-72 hours.

What I'm not clear on (and I don't think she was either) is whether they already know which screen names got wrong codes and if they plan on sending new ones automatically OR if you have to call and report the mistake. So, here is the direct number (remember, BE NICE) for Sharon's department: 888-265-8003.
I'll update this thread if I see any more info.
Old 11-12-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ratguy
This problem has popped up for a lot of other people as well, over at Fat Wallet and Something Awful. Chef is correct about it being a coupon instead of a GC. I found this over as SA as well...
Fellow goon, eh?
Old 11-12-04, 09:15 AM

I just got my $100 Certificate! Woo damn hoo! Rod Serling you little sexpot, here I come!

PEACH
Old 11-12-04, 09:58 AM

Thanks Ratguy!!!
Old 11-12-04, 10:30 AM

Received and Redeemed, Thanks MISS PEACH!
Old 11-12-04, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by grinch1
Received and Redeemed, Thanks MISS PEACH!
You got it honey. I'm so glad you got in!

PEACH
Old 11-12-04, 11:50 AM

I got mine to and will use it soon as i get some love on buffy season 7...thanks
Old 11-12-04, 12:02 PM

Well I called AOL today and was transfered 3 times and hung up on twice. None of the people I talked to at first knew anything about what was going on and did not know what to do. FInally I saw a thread over at Fat Wallet and someone had had some success with this number, 1-877-824-0224. I called the same number and got a very friendly person. They were aware of the problem and had been sent a memo. Right now they are taking the screen names of the people who got screwed over and will be sending out the correct gift certificates. He couldn't give me an exact ETA on when they will be sent out but said they usually take 7-10 days.
Old 11-12-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drjay
Fellow goon, eh?
What's really funny is reading the thread over there and hearing about an AOL rep asking one of the people calling in if they had stairs in their house.