Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dvd2001
Does anyone know if the $50 gift cards (to get the free $5 gift card) can be used online?
Thanks.
Just pick the generic gift cards with a scratch off pin and tell them to put $50 on it.
Old 11-04-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Peep
But then, if I understand correctly, you lose the ability to convert them to gift cards that can be used on-line. No?
Not at all. Just look for the cards with the scratch off pin on the back and there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 11-04-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, this is a great additional deal!
Old 11-04-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Dude, I am still kicking myself for not jumping on the original deal.
Old 11-04-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bmello,
Thanks for the additional info about the gift cards.

I have to thank a helpful clerk at Blockbuster today. Last week, I had already converted some of my value cards to $400 in gift cards, and of course regretted not being able to get this new deal.
I went in today, and saw one of the friendly clerks that had taken a lot of my trade-ins. She was able to apply the $400 in gift cards to my in-store account, and then repurchase the gift cards, giving another $40 in free gift cards.
Also, I was able to convert another $200 of value cards to gift cards, for another extra $20.
So, another $60 in credit for a short trip to the store. I made sure to get the gift cards that could be used online.

Also, found very clean copies of Cold Mountain and Capturing the Friedmans in their 2-for-20 previewed deal, so it was a really worthwhile trip. I'll be picking up the new 4-disc Gone With the Wind next week, for $29.99, not too bad a price.

Now, if all my mis-price special orders come through, that would really put the frosting on the cake.

Thanks to all who have contributed to making the most of these deals.
Old 11-04-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
Must not be all King County, because the Bellevue Way (Bellevue WA) store still has the sign up.
Any BB's up that way sell consoles? or can order consoles?

I would hate to drive all the way to oregon to redeem my value card.
Old 11-04-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by superdeluxe
Any BB's up that way sell consoles? or can order consoles?

I would hate to drive all the way to oregon to redeem my value card.
None I've seen; there's a couple of large ones around but I haven't noticed them selling consoles (all the Hollywood videos around do, but BB isn't trying to compete I guess).
Old 11-04-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

damnit..we need to get a gamerush up here.
Old 11-04-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

36 pages so it might have been answered already, but has BBV ever run this type of deal before? Again sorry if has already been asked.
Old 11-04-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that I remember.
Old 11-04-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Big Worms
36 pages so it might have been answered already, but has BBV ever run this type of deal before? Again sorry if has already been asked.
No. In fact, they only recently started the trade in DVDs for credit thing shortly before they had the 8 dollar promotion. It appears that the 5 dollar trade in credit may be permanent though, much like the 2 for 20 on PVD's, at least for the time being.
Old 11-04-04, 11:58 PM

Oh really I thought they always had the 5 dollar deal (it has been a long time since I went into bbv). I have just a few dvds to trade about 8. So maybe I will just take the $5 since maybe they will never run it at 8 again. Thanks for the replies back.
Old 11-05-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Big Worms
Oh really I thought they always had the 5 dollar deal (it has been a long time since I went into bbv). I have just a few dvds to trade about 8. So maybe I will just take the $5 since maybe they will never run it at 8 again. Thanks for the replies back.
As far as i know its only been fairly recent, at least as a nationwide promotion. Keep in mind that the $5 is just a minimum, and you may get more then that depending on the discs. My friend got 6.50 for SWAT the other day.
Old 11-05-04, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
No. In fact, they only recently started the trade in DVDs for credit thing shortly before they had the 8 dollar promotion. It appears that the 5 dollar trade in credit may be permanent though, much like the 2 for 20 on PVD's, at least for the time being.
BBV trade policy is different throughout the country.

I live in Colorado Springs, and our local BBVs starting taking trade-ins at the start of 2003. So it's hardly new, at least here. And there are some parts of the country where they still do not take trade-ins at all.

Also, when our local BBVs first starting taking trade-ins (Jan 2003), they ran a promotion where they gave double the normal trade-in amount. I got $10-12 credit for a bunch of discs during that special. So I wouldn't be surprised if the $8 deal returns at some point, maybe as a once or twice a year promotional special.
Old 11-05-04, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by shaka
My local BBV said they start the $8 trade-in in Hawaii later this month.
Great news, Shaka! We usually seem to get left out of things!

Was that the Ala Moana location?
Old 11-05-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Traded in Chicago today which still netted me 9 dollars, just like it would have been before the 8 dollar promotion ended.
Old 11-14-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, is this all over with now? What's the standard trade-in amount given now?
Old 11-14-04, 08:54 PM

So, is this all over with now? What's the standard trade-in amount given now?
Yes...and...5 dollars.
Old 11-14-04, 10:35 PM

There was an article about this sale in the Hollywood Reporter, about how Blockbuster is looking at "pre-viewed" sales as a new source of income, even though they lost a few dollars on certain titles in this promotion. A lot of the buybacks will be used to stock specific stores which I guess will feature used disks more heavily. I got the feeling this won't be the last time they do this though.

The interesting thing was that they mentioned that during the $8 minimum buyback on DVDs, there was a concurrent promotion where if you sold back (I believe) 3 video game titles at once, you received an additional $5. I don't remember seeing anything like that posted in my local Blockbuster though. Was anyone aware of this? I know the minimum they give you back on used games is much lower -- $1.50 IIRC -- but there were still things I could have gotten rid of.
Old 11-14-04, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The $5 was only at stores that had Game Rush's inside of them.
Old 11-14-04, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Geist
The interesting thing was that they mentioned that during the $8 minimum buyback on DVDs, there was a concurrent promotion where if you sold back (I believe) 3 video game titles at once, you received an additional $5. I don't remember seeing anything like that posted in my local Blockbuster though. Was anyone aware of this? I know the minimum they give you back on used games is much lower -- $1.50 IIRC -- but there were still things I could have gotten rid of.
I was aware of this through this website. My Blockbusters had the sale, but unlike the DVDs, I didn't see it promoted with big banners and whatnot. I did see a flyer for the DVD trade-in deal, and on the other side was the video game deal. Other than that, nada.
Old 11-15-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Geist
The video game promotion of $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more games (PS2/XBOX/GCN) was a gamerush promotion that recently ended. Gamerush is Blockbuster's new in-store "new and used" game store. It is only in some Blockbuster stores, although I believe they intend to expand it to more and more Blockbuster stores over time. They have had some really great promotions regarding trading in games, as they try to build up a stock of used games. They also generally give higher trade-in-values than the competition, ie. gamestop and eb. I think an even better promotion from gamerush was "trade-in two games get a pre-order game for $30." This is in addition to the trade-in values of the two games, often making the game free with two trade-ins, or giving you credit on top of getting the pre-order. This promo recently ended as well.

If you want more info you should check out the cheapassgamer.com forums for info on the latest gamerush promos for trading in games.
Old 11-15-04, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by msdmoney
The video game promotion of $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more games (PS2/XBOX/GCN) was a gamerush promotion that recently ended.
The rest of your post is correct, but not this part. I traded in all my PS2 games at non-GameRush stores and got this deal. It was great to get rid of all my 2001 sports games for about $7 each. Sucks that it is over for those who didn't get in on it.
Old 11-15-04, 10:12 AM

If any of you are into games I suggest you call up your local BBV and ask about the "trade a game and get a brand new game for 29.99" deal going on right now -- 1 PS1+ game and up will get you any game in the store for $29.99 brand new plus the trade credit off of that. It's nice to pick up the Mortal Kombat Deception's Limited Edition for 29.99 instead of 59.99 + $15 for the game I traded in
Old 11-15-04, 10:31 AM

Well, the trade-in has finally started at the Ala Moana branch (Kapiolani branch is not doing it yet). They didn't do the $8.00 promo and are giving the $5.00 minimum. I took in about 24 so far, and only 3 or 4 of them got more than $5.00. Still, I'm happy to clear some room for new things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.