DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Gamestop deal

Old 07-31-04, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamestop deal

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I just went to Gamestop after delaying to go there for a few weeks. I have seen some people get some deals there so I finally moseyed on over there. Apperantly they have a deal for video games (buy 2 get one free) that also works on dvds. I picked up LOTR:FOTR EE, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC, and Fight Club 2-disc SE all in mint condition for $23.30. LOTR and Fight Club were both 10.99 so I actually got Fear and Loathing (which was 9.99) for free. Now how many times will you be able to say you got a Criterion for free? I suggest others to check out their local Gamestops for dvd's, you might be able to find some good deals.
Old 07-31-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for some reason the b2g1free varies from store to store right now. none of the ones in northern california are doing it, but some in southern and central CA are. sucks for me
Old 07-31-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm... Buy 2 get 1 Free DVD is work on NEW DVD too ??

Thanks
Old 07-31-04, 08:21 PM
Cool New Member

They probably put the wrong prices on those. The employee probably didn't know too much about DVD's and put the same prices on LOTR: FOTR EE and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC as they would on the regular edition of those discs.

Good find though, you luck bastard. I would have paid $23.30 for the Fear and Loathing Criterion alone.
Old 07-31-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Schlomo
They probably put the wrong prices on those. The employee probably didn't know too much about DVD's and put the same prices on LOTR: FOTR EE and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: CC as they would on the regular edition of those discs.

Good find though, you luck bastard. I would have paid $23.30 for the Fear and Loathing Criterion alone.
Gamestop's computers don't seem to recognize newer deluxe releases, i.e Underworld UE, 3 disc sets, superbits, LOTR EE's and Warner Bros. SE. So, if you can find the better versions of certain movies, they'll be priced at the reg version.
Old 07-31-04, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nonametofame
Gamestop's computers don't seem to recognize newer deluxe releases, i.e Underworld UE, 3 disc sets, superbits, LOTR EE's and Warner Bros. SE. So, if you can find the better versions of certain movies, they'll be priced at the reg version.
Yep, it seems that way. Like I said, I've seen other people on here find deals like I did at Gamestop like the EE editions of LOTR and CC's that were drastically under priced. After todays finds, I'll probably be visiting Gamestop a bit more often (at least until they fix the glitch).

Also, I'm not sure if the 2 for 1 used dvd sale will work everywhere, maybe the guy was just being generous (which I doubt since he was making fun of Fight Club and hasn't even seen it yet)....wouldn't hurt to try though.
Old 08-01-04, 12:06 AM
Banned

Picked up WWF Backlash 2001, EuroTrip and Starsky & Hutch for $23.99.
Old 08-01-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Gamestop isn't too picky about accepting discs is it? I've bought a few that've been pretty scratched up, but..i've also gotten some good deals. I guess it all evens out.
Old 08-01-04, 01:07 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by nonametofame
I never seem to find any deals at the Gamestops around where I live. The employees probably buy up all the good stuff themselves.

I'm suprised that people were willing to trade in some of that stuff even at the lower prices Gamestop would have been paying them.
Old 08-01-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts
the gamestop I went to a little bit ago didn't have anything really. lots of DVDs without covers (which were 20% off), and lots of wrestling DVDs. I wish I could find some good stuff like some of the other posters here.
Old 08-01-04, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gamestop is going to start branching out into Movie only stores called Moviestop. Can't wait!
Old 08-01-04, 11:25 PM

Just want to confirm if this deal is for new or used DVDs? Thanks!
Old 08-02-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only valid on used, wolvy....my local stores ( O.C. + L.A. area have just ended the B2G1 free sale today
Old 08-02-04, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Ruderic
Gamestop is going to start branching out into Movie only stores called Moviestop. Can't wait!
Hmmm...that sound's cool. Do you know when?
Old 08-02-04, 12:58 PM

Their website has the buy 2 get 1 free as well but the 2 you purchase have to be over $29 and the free one has to be under $29.
Old 08-02-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was at two Gamestops today and neither had an POP or knew of the B2G1 sale. One clerk said around Xmas was the next time he expected it.
Old 08-03-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts
I'm in KY. The guy at my store seemed pretty knowledgable. He said the east coast and west coast have their deals at different times of the year. The deal is on the west coast right now and he said the east coast should see it around Sept.

Makes sense. So the company doesn't get hit all at once across the country.