Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of sites w/ CC films for Cheap?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-02-04, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I'm trying to put together a set of criterion collection films and I am find it increasingly harder to find them... not only because they are criterions, but because i recently moved to Vienna, WV.

if you wanna talk about hole in the wall towns... well you have reached its recording site...

I've got my eyes peeled on the Forum sites but its about impossible to get at these films before eveyone else scours through them, and when you do find them you'll be charged close to retail on a couple titles .

ANYWHO...

if anyone know where I can find any BARGAINS... please let me know.

A Friend... anyone.

Thanks in advance,

Also, wanted to say thanks to team here at DVDtalk.com for compilling a great bunch of people.
Old 08-02-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
DVD Planet has them 35% off every day. Barring the DDD 20% coupon (NOT VALID), that's the best you'll do, unless you go used.
Old 08-02-04, 06:08 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
dvdplanet also has five dollar off coupons every couple months. None currently though.
Old 08-02-04, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a Criterion addict like some, so I may be wrong, but finding deals on CC titles at a B&M would be next to impossible anyway. Even if they do have them (and it's not Finding Amy, or Armegeddon) they most likely will be charging full retail. Better to go online like suggested and wait for the next great coupon.
Old 08-02-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scour eBay, you'll find 'em in time. nonametofame pointed out an eBay store where you can get Wild Strawberries for $19 shipped. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 08-02-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

www.cheapcriterions.com
www.criterionsforless.com
www.deepdiscountcriterion.com
www.buyritecriterion.com
www.criterionmenow.com
www.criterionpricesearch.com
www.criterionwow.com
www.hongkongcriterion.com

Be careful with that last one, I heard they sell bootlegs.

please do not list made up websites that do not exist to try to inject humor, people will only complain "those websites don't work" ...thank you

That ANONYMOUS edit is bullshit. Get a sense of humor. If there is one forum on this site that is not about spoon-feeding people, this is it. If you want the deals you gotta be spry of mind and quick of action. If you are so dense that you can't figure out such an obvious joke, you should be paying MSRP like all the other sheeple.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 08-04-04 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-02-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hang in there Got CC, the deals are out there, you just have to be patient. Just stick around on the dvd exchange forum and deals will come up. I've been the beneficiary of several generous deals on the forum. Also, like drjay noted, scour ebay frequently. And don't make the mistake of collecting criterion just for the sake of criterion, only buy from a list of the ones you want to own.
Old 08-03-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts
as nonametofame said, you just gotta hang in there. There are a couple used DVD places in town that I frequent. One day, I happened to stop by one of them and someone had dumped about a dozen Criterions. I picked up both Andy Warhol movies for $18 each.

Just last Sunday I was at my other fav used DVD place and I found Criterion's Life of Brian for $12!!

Also some people have had luck at pawn shops. Find a few places that sell used DVDs and, if possible, hit 'em once a week or more.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tom, you should definitely post deals like Life of Brian CC on the used dvd treasure hunt thread. I would've been all over that deal. And plus that thread hasn't been getting much action as of late.
Old 08-03-04, 01:38 AM

I got CC Life of Brian used at Gamestop, of all places, for 10 bucks
Old 08-03-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a very bad experience with CriterionMeNOW.com. Ordered two copies of Salo during their sale. They came out as 40% off but the website advertised 45% + free shipping. Took about three calls with Customer Support to get it cleared up. Just a heads up, YMMV.

please, don't make up stuff about non existant places, thanks
Old 08-03-04, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by drjay
Scour eBay, you'll find 'em in time. nonametofame pointed out an eBay store where you can get Wild Strawberries for $19 shipped. Not a bad deal at all.

I'm trying to work a couple of deals on the used DVD forum board it will happen (hell I've got about 4 deals pending).

Its funny you mention nonametofame. Him and I & about 3 other guys go at mad dashes trying to read additions to peoples forums. Its pretty funny.

Now as for the eBay deallie, I've purchased Night & Fog for $15.00 shipped. I also search for misspelled items... I've purchased many Chuck Palahniuk books sign including a first print Fight club for $22.50 .

Last edited by Got_Criterion; 08-03-04 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-03-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Got_Criterion

Now as for the eBay deallie, I've purchased Night & Fog for $15.00 shipped.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's no deal at all:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=HVD001617

Make sure you know the LIST (MSRP) PRICE - you will come across many Criterions on many sites (including eBay) for $20-25 dollars - but if these are the $29.95 titles, that's not a bargain.
Old 08-03-04, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nonametofame
hang in there Got CC, the deals are out there, you just have to be patient. Just stick around on the dvd exchange forum and deals will come up. I've been the beneficiary of several generous deals on the forum. Also, like drjay noted, scour ebay frequently. And don't make the mistake of collecting criterion just for the sake of criterion, only buy from a list of the ones you want to own.
I've frequented this site in the past and recently got back into collecting full time because its something that keeps my stress-levels running a 2 million dollar store to a minimum.

Now, I'm not sure if any of you guys have collected anything else. But when you collect something you always want to have the whole run every variant... to be a completist! (God Bless me!) And once i picked up my first CC, The Game LD. I was immediately hooked!

The quality of the extra's and time consuming transfers (sometimes..lol), I dont know Criterion Collection makes you feel like your watching films compiled by a circus of film nuts, put together by a family...

Let me explain alittle better/another example.

Have you ever gone into a little Ma & Pa store and they go out of thier way to make you feel comfortable with your purchase? Recommend things that you usually wouldnt buy, just because they want you to make an informed decission. Maybe recommend this/that to you because you normally have tunnel vision with the products you purchase (Good Googalie, I love Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch) and would never give something like that a chance?

Well thats how I look at CC as a company, most of the films on their roster I would have never given second thought to. I would have passed them by and hit the horror section. But because of the films I've purchased I've opened myself up to a whole new world of film consumption.

The Independants

I trust the quality of the movie for one reason or another because of the fact that you have those 19 letters in either blk or white at the top.

Its really sad to see, studios taking away creative control of how film-makers are to be heard (its be done for years), CC on LD was this outlet for film-makers, But now that studios make more money on Home Video/DVD then most theatrical realeases ( Austin Powers, Office Space ... Killer Klowns from Outer Space ) you as consumers and film buffs lose out on experience... The profit margins are alot more now. You dont see films that CC put out on LD. Alot of the films didnt really need the help to be brought to the publics eyes. They were blockbusters!

They now are helping out the little-known-to-the-public-at-large-guys, the guys who've been in the industry for years and have been over looked (some may not have wanted wide success, just a forum to be heard).

After getting off the subject now though... The main reason I dont just purchase films I like is because, in the long haul... I would miss out on alot of beautiful films.

Cheers,

Charles
Old 08-03-04, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by marty888
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's no deal at all:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=HVD001617

Make sure you know the LIST (MSRP) PRICE - you will come across many Criterions on many sites (including eBay) for $20-25 dollars - but if these are the $29.95 titles, that's not a bargain.
LOL... not the greatest example.

But I understand what you mean. That maybe one of the reason why I need help going in the right direction. I do understand the MSRP, I couldve sworn that this title was alot more a couple of years ago.

Thanks for busting my balls

Armaggedon:CC $8.99
Beastie Boys:CC $9.99
Do The Right Thing:CC $12.99
Silence of the Lambs:CC $9.99
Robocop: CC $8.99
etc.
etc.

i'm not exactly a complete tool shed! lol
Old 08-03-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

You're funny. Don't you ever STOP!!!
Old 08-03-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally posted by nonametofame
Tom, you should definitely post deals like Life of Brian CC on the used dvd treasure hunt thread. I would've been all over that deal. And plus that thread hasn't been getting much action as of late.
Oh, I would've but wanted the film for me. The last time this place had a used Criterion was In The Mood For Love and I, again, wanted it. Unfortunately, it didn't come with an insert... so I might still put it up at the Treasure Hunt after I've had a chance to watch all the extras.

The time when someone dumped a lot of Criterions happened before the Treasure Hunt existed. It didn't take long before they were gone... except for I Am Curious.... The bastards broke up the two movies and was selling each one for $18