DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Ultimate National Geographic DVD Collection $12.17 (-91%) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/374197-ultimate-national-geographic-dvd-collection-%2412-17-91%25.html)

LasVegasMichael 07-15-04 04:29 PM

After reading the most recent posts here, I checked my e-mail (with my fingers crossed), and no e-mail received!

Looks like they didn't catch the error until they had already shipped out a few, as mine shipped on the 13th, according to their website. I will check my e-mail throughout the day, though just in case.

Decker 07-15-04 07:05 PM

Originally posted by wolverine1028
Just got their BS email.

The thing that upsets me is that these retailers don't have the backbone to honor their mistakes.

They just lost my respect for them and I'll probably never buy from them. Good thing I have never spend any money with them.

This seems very silly to me. It's ok to be disappointed about it; I am. But the company has no obligation to send out the set at an incorrect price. It's not a lack of "backbone" that caused this decision, just a lack of unlimited capital. Believe it or not, these e-tailers are not in the business of losing money. To charge you a higher price without your consent would be very wrong, to cancel the order is regretable, but totally fair.

babka 07-15-04 07:37 PM

I just got mine today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
watching it tonight! Strange because I bought it after this thread had about 10 posts.

gcribbs 07-15-04 08:15 PM

I got the cancel email. I emailed them back requesting that they delete me as a customer and never email me again.

I was tempted to order a few more titles. However I always wait to see how a company responds to a misprice before ordering more dvd's. I have been burned before by adding dvd's to a misprice and having a company send and bill me for the other dvd's and never send the misprice.

It looks like this is exactly what they would have done.

Andras 07-15-04 08:53 PM

I got my email, no luck. I bought from them before, and will again. I lost nothing.

GMLSKIS 07-15-04 09:23 PM

I just got this email, I guess now I will never be a new customer of theirs.

We regret to inform you that the title National Geographic: Ultimate National
Geographic DVD Collection has been supplied to us at an incorrect price. This
price will now be amended in our database and we therefore cannot honor the
price as originally advertised. Consequently we will be deleting this title from
your order.
We sincerely apologize for this error and the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Customer Information Support

Dah-Dee 07-15-04 09:29 PM

Got mine today -- thanks, OP!

coolbleu 07-15-04 09:31 PM

I got the cancel email too...may buy from them in the future.

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 07-15-04 09:50 PM

got cancellation e-mail too.

marty888 07-15-04 09:55 PM

Originally posted by wolverine1028

They just lost my respect for them and I'll probably never buy from them. Good thing I have never spend any money with them.

I love it - every time there is a pricing mistake that is cancelled, people go on a rant about how they never will shop there again - and, as in this case, they never shopped there <i>before</i>. You weren't their customer before (so what "respect" did you have for them - you probably never heard of them!), and if it wasn't that you wanted to take advantage of an obvious misprice, you never would have ordered from them anyway.

I've ordered from them before, my National Geographic order was cancelled, I'll buy from them again.

Rob052067 07-15-04 09:57 PM

got the cancel email too...bummed since it sounds like some people did get it and I thought I was one of the early orders...oh well.

fataldog187 07-15-04 09:59 PM

Was also rejected. Can't complain, at least they filled the orders for which they had stock. Thanks again to moviemags for sharing.

TomOpus 07-15-04 11:15 PM

I knew it was coming, but got the email today. Ohwell... took a chance.

I also ordered another DVD with it and we'll see how that goes. It's already shipped so I should get it soon.

If all goes well, I'll probably stay as a customer (and jump on a misprice sooner :D)

RUN-DvdMC 07-15-04 11:22 PM

Got email = sucks!

NCYankee 07-16-04 12:35 AM

Originally posted by marty888
I love it - every time there is a pricing mistake that is cancelled, people go on a rant about how they never will shop there again - and, as in this case, they never shopped there <i>before</i>. You weren't their customer before (so what "respect" did you have for them - you probably never heard of them!), and if it wasn't that you wanted to take advantage of an obvious misprice, you never would have ordered from them anyway.

I've ordered from them before, my National Geographic order was cancelled, I'll buy from them again.

I agree 100% - it reminds me of people who go to Best Buy or Circuit City to pricematch a Target misprint (they do it almost every week). They wait in line 1/2 hour, then tie up 3 employees for another 1/2 hour - then get mad if the employees are competent enough to figure out that the PM is invalid, as though the Best Buy employees FORCED them to waste their time trying to rip the store off.

eau 07-16-04 01:23 AM

Mine was canceled too. Sent them an email requesting to close my membership account.

Bob_F1 07-16-04 04:40 PM

Thanks! You are correct. I've edited my original post. :)

Bob

Originally posted by NCYankee
Those are Asian knockoffs - the opening bids are $36, buy it now $46.

Ebay listing

Hal2000 07-17-04 12:51 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I got the cancel email. I emailed them back requesting that they delete me as a customer and never email me again.

I was tempted to order a few more titles. However I always wait to see how a company responds to a misprice before ordering more dvd's. I have been burned before by adding dvd's to a misprice and having a company send and bill me for the other dvd's and never send the misprice.

It looks like this is exactly what they would have done.

You did the right thing -- I didn't. I should have waited to see how they handled this before ordering other titles. Since the NG didn't come through, I am now paying too much for the other titles I ordered. I cancelled everything except for the Manchurian Candidate for which I'm paying too much when you consider shipping.

My bad.

leland 07-17-04 07:00 PM

Got my cancellation email, oh well.

I'm glad I got the Sesame Street pack. It is still a decent price despite not getting the National Geographic set.

Pasolini 07-17-04 07:57 PM

Yes, it was a long shot, but i think some people might be a little irritated when they see other people getting it who ordered a day later than they did. I myself ordered an hour after the first post, but got nixed.

However, this deal a day or two later makes up for it -- and it shipped! Two great Fassbinder movies:

ItemID Title Retail Price Ordered Price Items Qty Filled Sent SubTotal
568723 Pioneers In Ingolstadt $24.95 $2.49 1 1 0 1 $2.49
544957 Whity $24.95 $2.49 1 1 0 1 $2.49
ESTIMATED SHIPPING (2 discs in total) by USPS Media Mail: $1.97
Estimated Total: $6.95

outcastja 07-20-04 05:09 PM

Received mine today, thanks OP!

LasVegasMichael 07-20-04 06:53 PM

Received mine as well today. Ordered it before there was a single post on this thread.

Thanks OP for the best deal I have gotten in a long time!

Jah-Wren Ryel 07-21-04 10:56 PM

As one of the people who placed an order for this set (and didn't get it either) I thought I would share with y'all that DVD Pacific has apparently had their database compromised and customers are now seeing bogus $40 charges from "LIP, Inc" show up on their credit card statements.

A thread about it at AnimeOnDVD.

As one of the posters suggests, I did use a single-use credit card number to place my non-order with DVD Pacific so I am not too worried (I did double check my statement anyway, just to be sure).

bdhart 08-18-04 03:58 AM

I had a bogus charge show up on my cc from a ezigatroweb on 08-14. I received this email tonight from DVD Pacific:

Our web site has recently been subjected to various hacking attempts. We upgraded our security measures in lieu of this to ensure the
personal information we hold for you is fully protected. Part of these security enhancements have provided us information that led us to
believe that some data had been compromised by way of a worm on the server. No anti virus or spyware was able to detect this but we now
have information that contact had been made with an IP address outside our network. We attempted to capture this information without it
leaving the server so as to determine exactly what was being transmitted. Unfortunately this worm had some type of self detection available
and as soon as it realized we had discovered it, it self destructed leaving no trace evidence.

Yesterday the IP addresses we suspected behind this launched a malicious code attack on our SQL server and this allowed us to track their
IP addresses to their source and we have identified ISP's in Russia and the Ukraine. We have contacted the FBI, Secret Service and filed
a full report at www.us-cert.gov. Further a report has been filed with FSB.ru.
We have blocked any possibility of this type of attack being successful but as a
precaution we have auto updated all member account access passwords and now sending you your new temporary password as indicated
below.

We would also request that you pay particular attention to your credit card statement to ensure that your not subject to any fraudulent
transactions and if so notify your credit card issuer immediately. We will be providing a list of all cards we have on file to each of the credit
card issuers so as they can also monitor any suspicious activity.

We will continue to monitor this situation closely as we have been since it arose and you can be assured our efforts to provide you with the
safest shopping environment online will always be of the highest priority.

If you have any questions in relation to this issue please direct them to [email protected]

Regards,
DVD Pacific Inc.

Looks like their site was hacked AGAIN.

Anybody that has an account with them should check their cc's carefully...........

kimoy 08-18-04 04:10 AM

Originally posted by bdhart
I had a bogus charge show up on my cc from a ezigatroweb on 08-14. I received this email tonight from DVD Pacific:

Our web site has recently been subjected to various hacking attempts. We upgraded our security measures in lieu of this to ensure the
personal information we hold for you is fully protected. Part of these security enhancements have provided us information that led us to
believe that some data had been compromised by way of a worm on the server. No anti virus or spyware was able to detect this but we now
have information that contact had been made with an IP address outside our network. We attempted to capture this information without it
leaving the server so as to determine exactly what was being transmitted. Unfortunately this worm had some type of self detection available
and as soon as it realized we had discovered it, it self destructed leaving no trace evidence.

Yesterday the IP addresses we suspected behind this launched a malicious code attack on our SQL server and this allowed us to track their
IP addresses to their source and we have identified ISP's in Russia and the Ukraine. We have contacted the FBI, Secret Service and filed
a full report at www.us-cert.gov. Further a report has been filed with FSB.ru.
We have blocked any possibility of this type of attack being successful but as a
precaution we have auto updated all member account access passwords and now sending you your new temporary password as indicated
below.

We would also request that you pay particular attention to your credit card statement to ensure that your not subject to any fraudulent
transactions and if so notify your credit card issuer immediately. We will be providing a list of all cards we have on file to each of the credit
card issuers so as they can also monitor any suspicious activity.

We will continue to monitor this situation closely as we have been since it arose and you can be assured our efforts to provide you with the
safest shopping environment online will always be of the highest priority.

If you have any questions in relation to this issue please direct them to [email protected]

Regards,
DVD Pacific Inc.

Looks like their site was hacked AGAIN.

Anybody that has an account with them should check their cc's carefully...........

Me too and I had to have my card cancelled. This sucks. I did not get my DVD and now this.