DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Ultimate National Geographic DVD Collection $12.17 (-91%) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/374197-ultimate-national-geographic-dvd-collection-%2412-17-91%25.html)

gcribbs 08-18-04 04:11 AM

I am so glad I had my info deleted by them. I checked my credit card and no activity.

I would suggest others have their info deleted by them since they have been hacked twice in two months.

wewantflair 08-18-04 07:16 AM

Check your statements, people! I had two bogus charges show up from ezigatroweb, each for 10.55, one on 8/11 and one on 8/12. Color me pretty upset.

Shagrath 08-18-04 08:03 AM

Looks like I got hit too. Some charge of 10.55 from "3D NET ZONE" on 08/16. I went ahead and got the dispute taken care of, and my card cancelled.

speedyray 08-18-04 08:32 AM

I have been calling the number that went with the 3D net zone charge for a week. Now I know. And to make things worse, it was on the week when my bills are due before my paychack and caused a bounced check.

gcribbs 08-18-04 09:06 AM

so much for them deleting my info. I also got hit for a $10.55 charge from 3d net zone. It hit my account on 8/17 from a supposed transaction date of 8/16.

I had my account number changed and I will never ever order from this company again no matter what the deal. What a joke. hacked twice.

bdhart 08-18-04 11:35 AM

Here is a thread about this issue:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=376062

RUN-DvdMC 08-18-04 12:42 PM

Damn, I got hit too! :(

Myster X 08-18-04 12:46 PM

F@CK!

Dah-Dee 08-18-04 01:01 PM

:mad:

Nabalab 08-18-04 01:38 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
so much for them deleting my info. I also got hit for a $10.55 charge from 3d net zone. It hit my account on 8/17 from a supposed transaction date of 8/16.

I had my account number changed and I will never ever order from this company again no matter what the deal. What a joke. hacked twice.

I got the *same* charge too from the *same* company last week!!!! I noticed it when I checked my credit card balance online.

I promptly called my credit card company and they put it into dispute, crediting my account too.

Even though the dvd I ordered was a decent price, this company lost my business too.

eau 08-18-04 04:04 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I am so glad I had my info deleted by them. I checked my credit card and no activity.

I would suggest others have their info deleted by them since they have been hacked twice in two months.

Ditto. I closed my account (aka membership) right after they canceled my order.

After this security incident, I would have to think twice (or more) before giving them any business.

goillini 08-18-04 05:49 PM

Ditto for me. Just checked and same charges showed up. Had the charges reversed and closed account.

Moderators should make this a prominent post as I'm sure many dvdtalkers were affected by this. If they don't notice now, they will when their statements arrive.

pOpus 08-18-04 06:22 PM

I got hit with the same $10.55 charge from 3D Net Zone. I am glad I saw this thread so that I could cancel my card and get the money returned to my account. I had not bought from DVD Pacific in several months, and after this, I won't buy from them again. Cheap prices are not worth the headaches.

theMadness 08-18-04 07:33 PM

Happened to me too. Same company. I called the 866 number but they didn't try to pretend to help. I cancelled my card also.

GMLSKIS 08-18-04 11:21 PM

I'm lucky I just checked my credit card site and no unusual charges. When I found out I wasn't getting my DVD's I closed my account immediatly.

wolverine1028 08-19-04 12:24 AM

How do we know if DVD Pacific can even be trusted? Maybe one of their disgruntled employees got ahold of the numbers.

While their site might have been hacked. Large % of cc fraud is perpetuated or results from internal compromise of customer's data.

PDDP 08-19-04 06:00 AM

I also got hit with the $10.55 by 3d Net Zone on 8/15. Just had my card cancelled.

Iguana 08-19-04 12:48 PM

DVD Pacific is a joke of a company that has no business having a web presence IMO.
I fired off a nasty reply to their "our database has been compromised" email stating that I should never have needed to be contacted because I demanded my personal data be removed way back when they cancelled my DVD order claiming it was a "pricing error". They never even admitted that some got the DVD set at the "erroneous" price until I called them out on it a month or so ago. Then they admitted that some did get the set at the lower price (I guess they couldn't lie at that point since people had already posted that they received the low priced sets). Definitely not a trustworthy company.
Apparently, they never followed up on my request to remove my personal information otherwise I would never received their recent email. Fortunately I used a 1-time virtual number which I closed immediately upon their cancellation email.
Here's hoping that this incident will put the final nail in the coffin for this two-bit operation.

Novasonic 08-20-04 02:34 AM

I have 2 charges for $9.95 from IUI*NATLCNSMRSALLIANCE - 888-581-3737 FL. Any ideas?

eau 08-20-04 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Novasonic
I have 2 charges for $9.95 from IUI*NATLCNSMRSALLIANCE - 888-581-3737 FL. Any ideas?
You better have a word with your CC company now.

flix1 08-20-04 08:25 AM

Anyone with an American Express card seeing bogus charges?

I had signed up with DVD Pacific and received the email from them, but I have not yet seen any bogus charges. I will probably request a new card from Amex, but I am supposed to leave on business next week and do not know if I will receive the new one in time.

theMadness 08-20-04 04:49 PM

Having them hacked twice in the same year doesn't shed a good light on DVD Pacific. I don't think I will be shopping with them ever again.

goillini 08-20-04 08:28 PM

Hacked twice doesn't speak to highly of the extra security measures that I would like to think they took when they got hacked the first time.

In my opinion, it is better to cancel the card used at their site and have your cc company just issue you a new account number rather than be watching your statement from now till whenever looking for bogus charges.....

Jah-Wren Ryel 08-20-04 09:48 PM

I'm reasonably confident that they were only "hacked" once - it just took them forever to figure it out. The last statement they made before this one was that they had found no evidence of being compromised and insuinated that it was their customers' fault for having a virus/trojan/whatever that watched their web browser window for credit card numbers - so they had changed their system to obscure credit card numbers when displayed. It was totally bogus and they should have realized they needed to dig deeper, instead of trying to come up with some whacked story to explain it all away. This is the kind of thing that happens when you try to sweep a security compromise under the rug - you get a bigger security compromise the next time around.

theMadness 08-20-04 10:49 PM

If that's true, then it's an even worse situation IMO. Hopefully there will not be any further (more serious) fallout from this fiasco.