DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The One And Only Star Wars Pre-Order/Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 06:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally posted by oneness
i'm sticking with my $35 preorder from ddd during their last 20% off sale
how did you get 20% off and is that still going on?

no one knows how much Best Buy will have it for?
Old 09-05-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
how did you get 20% off and is that still going on?

no one knows how much Best Buy will have it for?
in June or July DDD.com had a 20% off sale. A few days prior to the official sale, word leaked out that there was a sale and it worked on pre-orders and video games. DDD.com said that they were testing their systems. During the official sale, the 20% off codes didn't work on pre-orders or video games.
Old 09-05-04, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As another option, there's also coconuts.com. Same company as FYE, but if you use promo code FIRSTPURCHASE at checkout, you get 10% off and free shipping (select "Budget Shipping" at checkout).

There's a $15 rebate available here (also linked from product page). They charge sales tax in all states except Hawaii, Idaho and Montana.

For me, it works out to:
$49.99 - $5.00 (10% discount) = $44.99 + $2.70 tax (6% VT) = $47.69 - $15 (rebate) = $32.69 delivered.

Definitely not for those who need it on release day, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

EDIT: Oh, and they don't charge you until it ships.

Last edited by sanjoelo; 09-05-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jbtech-

I had pre-ordered from Coconuts.com with the "first purchase" discount, but they wouldn't let me change payments methods and I like the deal better with the $10 free gift card - I end up paying $5 more but get a $10 gift card, and I don't have to cut the UPC off the box since I will get a UPC sticker on the shrink-wrap (You don't with online pre-orders).
Old 09-06-04, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by jbtech
As another option, there's also coconuts.com. Same company as FYE, but if you use promo code FIRSTPURCHASE at checkout, you get 10% off and free shipping (select "Budget Shipping" at checkout).

There's a $15 rebate available here (also linked from product page). They charge sales tax in all states except Hawaii, Idaho and Montana.

For me, it works out to:
$49.99 - $5.00 (10% discount) = $44.99 + $2.70 tax (6% VT) = $47.69 - $15 (rebate) = $32.69 delivered.

Definitely not for those who need it on release day, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

When you say "not on release day" you just mean they don't pre-ship to arrive on release? But, they do ship on release day so only a few days after, correct? Thanks for this info as it seems like a great deal.
Old 09-06-04, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by NCYankee
Jbtech-

I had pre-ordered from Coconuts.com with the "first purchase" discount, but they wouldn't let me change payments methods and I like the deal better with the $10 free gift card - I end up paying $5 more but get a $10 gift card, and I don't have to cut the UPC off the box since I will get a UPC sticker on the shrink-wrap (You don't with online pre-orders).
i'm sure the upc would just be a little tab in the DVD case...most releases are like that now so you dont have to tear or cut any of those anymore.
Old 09-06-04, 08:38 AM

Jbtech-

Regarding the UPC--fye.com sends them with their online orders, I'm not sure coconuts won't do the same. However, if this is like the Indy set, won't their also be a paper insert with the UPC on it inside as well?

I really can't seem them requiring anyone to cut the UPC.
Old 09-06-04, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by scott1598
When you say "not on release day" you just mean they don't pre-ship to arrive on release? But, they do ship on release day so only a few days after, correct? Thanks for this info as it seems like a great deal.
You're welcome, happy to share the deal. I thought it was a pretty sweet total price.

My guess is that these will ship on or before release day. I know that some retailers already have their sets, so they're already making their way into warehouses. I don't think it'll be a long wait.

It's not like I've never seen the movies before, so I'm willing to wait for the right deal.
Old 09-06-04, 12:48 PM
michaelicq needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I would prefer to use STL with Amazon's good price......
can someone hit me with share the love???

[email protected]

thanks
Old 09-06-04, 01:17 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mufaddalh
I would prefer to use STL with Amazon's good price......
can someone hit me with share the love???
You'll have a better chance of getting hit here.
Old 09-06-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is NO "flat tax" - the estimate is .065% of yor AGI, try reading the directions before correcting someone who actually does read them.
Thanks for not being condescending this time either.
Old 09-06-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lecithin
Thanks for not being condescending this time either.
Sorry, but I do NOT aprreciate being corrected on the rare occasion that I actually know what I am talking about. If you had spent as much time reading the line instructions as you did making your previous post, there would have been no problem.

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-06-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the UPC--fye.com sends them with their online orders, I'm not sure coconuts won't do the same. However, if this is like the Indy set, won't their also be a paper insert with the UPC on it inside as well?

I really can't seem them requiring anyone to cut the UPC.
I have never had on online order from FYE, I was just going by what someone posted here who had several orders online and said there were not price stickers.

That's a good point about the paper insert - I would assume it will be released the same way.
Old 09-06-04, 04:36 PM

I have never had on online order from FYE, I was just going by what someone posted here who had several orders online and said there were not price stickers.

That's a good point about the paper insert - I would assume it will be released the same way.
In either case, both are good deals. I guess it depends on personal preference. Just thought I'd add to the barrage of choices..
Old 09-07-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
My Best Buy has a rack out now with a special edition of Star Wars Insider magazine -- seems to mostly be character bios and movie credits.

Rack said the magazine was free with purchase of the DVD set or the Battlegrounds video game.

Perhaps the rumor of a free Beneath the Dome was false? Is THIS their giveaway instead?
Old 09-07-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho

Perhaps the rumor of a free Beneath the Dome was false? Is THIS their giveaway instead?
Best Buy pre-order offer
Old 09-07-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Ah, R2-D2 is an online-only offer. I guess the magazine is the in-store equivalent.
Old 09-07-04, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
You can get "Beneath the Dome" at Best Buy right now for $4.99. Seems like a decent deal. Then you can get the trilogy elsewhere for cheaper.
Old 09-07-04, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

Im not willing to read all the posts

Not sure if somebody posted this yet, and i dont want to read thru all of the posts...
But, if you go to www.coconuts.com , you can pre order, first time buyers get a 5$ off applied, and then there is a 15$ rebate... so makes it what...... one... carry the three... minus two... ... uhm,,, uh, ummm.... 29.99 plus tax and shipping. I think it comes out to be approx 36.00

Adonus.
Old 09-07-04, 05:42 PM

Re: Im not willing to read all the posts

Originally posted by Adonus
Not sure if somebody posted this yet, and i dont want to read thru all of the posts...
But, if you go to www.coconuts.com , you can pre order, first time buyers get a 5$ off applied, and then there is a 15$ rebate... so makes it what...... one... carry the three... minus two... ... uhm,,, uh, ummm.... 29.99 plus tax and shipping. I think it comes out to be approx 36.00

Adonus.

I'll save you the work. 16 posts above yours:

For me, it works out to:

Old 09-08-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Im not willing to read all the posts

Originally posted by Adonus

Adonus.
I placed an order last night at coconuts.com but have not gotten any email from them. Do they send you an email when the order is placed?

Also, the rebate says they need the Coconuts.com confirmation and packing slip. Would this be a copy of the receipt from their web page, an email confirmation for placing the order or the shipping email confirmation?
Old 09-08-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping someone has a deal where if I buy the DVD set and Star Wars Battlefront, you get $xx.xx off.....I'm HOPING
Old 09-08-04, 09:19 PM

ernestrp - I had the same experience last night. I placed the order and printed the receipt from their web page, but no email confirmation!
Old 09-15-04, 11:09 AM

Anyone heard any news about prices for the Trilogy at Brick & Mortar stores yet, instead of online prices?
Old 09-15-04, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My Walmart will have it for $38.77, but of course their prices vary by region.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.