Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster PV DVD 3 for 2 Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SLOmade
Me too, all the titles are always $9.99 at my local BBV in southern cali. Just picked up

Monsoon Wedding
Hollywood Ending
Princesa
Spy Kids
Project Greenlight's Stolen Summer
Big Trouble

$40...They all came in the original keep cases with the chapter inserts...not bad since they let me choose which discs I wanted from the rental selection, allowing me to get scratch-free discs for all of them. I LOVE THIS STORE...they bend over backwards in customer service at this location!

Is Dog Soliders a worthwhile flick? Was going to pick it up, but the counter guy was like, "never saw it, but I don't think it's good enough to buy..." any thoughts?
Originally posted by tbickle
Hey, SLOmade, where is your Blockbuster at? I'd make a drive down to orange county to get the original cases and inserts. Brotherhood of the Wolf is definitely worth the money. A effective mix of horror, martial-arts and period piece, I really liked it. Storytelling is worth it if you like freaky, offensive stuff. It's from the director of Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse if that tells you anything...
Sorry tbickle...but you need to realize the difference between a "deal sharing" post and a "deal bragging" post. If someone wants to share, obviously they would post where they found the deal.

Don't get me wrong...most posts are "bragging posts". They have value in that they allow others to see what may be available, and what to go out and look for.

He has the right to keep his favorite store to himself.
Old 12-05-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From some other BBV posts a while back, someone had mentioned the BBV by UC Irvine had all their PVD's for $9.99. Maybe that is the one. I haven't been down there lately, so can't confirm. There used to be a BBV in Orange that had all of theirs for $9.99, but they stopped doing that a while back.
Old 12-05-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep in mind (and your receipts) that any new release rental allows you to purchase the PVD of that title for either $11.99 or $9.99 ! I used this offer tonight and bought two titles that were on the shelf for $14.99 for $9.99/ea. I then got a third title @ $14.99 for free!

Just thought I'd remind everyone of this as they (Blockbuster) convieniently 'forgot' until I reminded them and asked if they needed the receipts. Makes you wonder why they feel compelled to try and rip you off...huh?

Happy Hunting....

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 12-06-02 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 04:59 PM

update: I went back today and bought 2 more with 1 free and had to remind them again to give me the discount for previously rented titles to be able to purchase for $9.99/ea!

BB... Idiots or thieves?!?!?!

Sonicflood
Old 12-06-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by rs84778
Sorry tbickle...but you need to realize the difference between a "deal sharing" post and a "deal bragging" post. If someone wants to share, obviously they would post where they found the deal.

Don't get me wrong...most posts are "bragging posts". They have value in that they allow others to see what may be available, and what to go out and look for.

He has the right to keep his favorite store to himself.
Or maybe he didn't get a chance to reply to tbickle's post yet
Old 12-06-02, 11:07 PM

I picked up Dog Soldiers among others but noticed when I looked up a review that the one I got is the same on the cover w/o the Artisan logo. Also the back is slightly different. Anyone know if there is a difference?
Old 12-06-02, 11:31 PM

Many of the PVDs that I get have "non-mainstream" ISBN's (judging from the entries in DVDProfiler). I don't know if they are custom releases specific to BB or to rental chains in general or what. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dog Soldiers was like that.
Old 12-07-02, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Goat3001
Or maybe he didn't get a chance to reply to tbickle's post yet
You can roll your eyes all you want...

My point is...If someone is posting to share a deal they would have posted where they found it initially. And I'm not even saying I think its wrong.

If someone has found a deal that would be ruined by sharing it with a hundred other bargain hunters than it probably would be best kept to themselves. Especially if they "LOVE THIS STORE"!
Old 12-07-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was successful in combining Try/Rent/Buy and 3 for 2.
The computer automatically adjusted the prices.
I got:
Scorpion King (WS) $14.99 - $5
Blade II: PE $14.99 - $5
Hearts in Atlantis $9.99 - $9.99

total: $22.63 after tax.

I do so hate those custom bb cases.
Old 12-07-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Skrulnik wrote: "I still think that there are enough people out there that have inserts that we can trade or post which ones we have, to keep the previously viewed BBV deal good. I know that I have 30 or so, and I know that another member has been in touch with me about inserts, anyone else have any?"

I meant to follow up to this. How are we going to trade or post these? Are you talking about physically sending the original inserts in the mail or scanning them to make available for download? Is there already an insert exchange thread?

Because other people surely must have this problem created by BBV's laziness, I was hoping there would already be a web site with insert scans, but the www.cdcovers.cc web site I mentioned earlier has very few.

I need inserts for: Hart's War, Shallow Hal, and The Rookie.
I don't have any extra inserts, but if it's allowed I'm willing to scan a few inserts I have on DVDs I own to swap for scans of the ones I need. It would seem illogical that trading scans of DVD inserts because Blockbuster threw away the original would be illegal, but the fact I think it's illogical doesn't mean lobbyists and lawyers for certain industries feel the same way. If it's illegal, it's not worth getting in trouble over 3 lousy missing inserts. Anyone know?

Skrulnik, please let me know how to proceed or if I should give up trying to get the inserts. My local BBVs aren't able or willing to set aside inserts (or original DVD cases for that matter). Given all this trouble no wonder even for an effective cost of $6.66 each I buy so few PVDs at BBV when they give me no inserts and crap cases.
Old 12-07-02, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by rs84778
You can roll your eyes all you want...

My point is...If someone is posting to share a deal they would have posted where they found it initially. And I'm not even saying I think its wrong.

If someone has found a deal that would be ruined by sharing it with a hundred other bargain hunters than it probably would be best kept to themselves. Especially if they "LOVE THIS STORE"!
Without sounding too facetious here, I'm not real sure you have a point. Given the fact that's it extremely unlikely that giving away the store location would attract a "hundred other bargain hunters". People that live there already know about it and the few anal people such as myself who would be willing to drive 30 minutes out of the way for an insert would be so few as to not be much of a problem. I can't imagine me grabbing that last copy of Windtalker's just as he's fixing to reach for it...
Old 12-07-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I don't know how it is supposed to be doen. I just thought that if people were in need of inserts, they could trade them. If there is a place to exchange them or not I don't know, but I willlist the ones that I have, and maybe someone would want to trade. On the other hand, if someone wants to educate me in the finer ways of scanning, and printing inserts, and what equipment is required, then please do so, I am all ears. Tese are the inserts that I have:

When We Were Soldiers (2)
The Scorpion King (3)
A league of Their Own (1)
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship (1)
The Bone Collector (1)
Lucky Break (1)
The Time Machine (1)
Mulholland Dr. (1)
Manunter (2)
The Silence of the Lambs (3)
Hannibal (3)
Bubble Boy (1)
The Importance of Being Ernest (1)
Sorority Boys(1)
The Omega Code 2 (1)
Clockstoppers (1)

I also have acquired some information from my various endevours with BBV. Hope the information helps:

1st
Each BBV is different with respect to the DVDs, VHS, and games that they "pull" for placing in previously viewed for sale. Each store gets a list, I assume from corporate or some where, and this list tells the individual store what movies and games to "pull" for that week. This list is generated based on the number of rentals that the particular movie or game has during a specific time period, and on the number of copies that particular store has in stock for rental. This is why you see variation between stores.

2nd
Each BBV is on a differnt time schedule for when the "pull" list is done. Some of the ones that I have visited were doning their "pull" list today, and placing new Preciously viewed out today. Others said they would be doing it tomorrow, and others even said they do it on Monday. I sdon't know if it is true, but one employee said that all previously viewed for the week must be "pulled" by close of business on Monday. So keep checking back to see if they have put out new stuff.

3rd
I have had success with calling in advance to BBV, and checking to see if they have certain titles in Previously Viewed. I usually tell them I will be in to pick them up, and usually do so within the hour. I think the general rule is that they willhold it for a few hours. You may want to try this, it saves time.

4th
As far as the cases go, I don't know exactally. I have heard many different stories, and the 2 most popular seem to be I will set some aside for you on Monday, and I can't gove them to you, but if you show up on Monday, you can take the ones out of the bag before we put it in the dumpster. (no, it's not like you are digging through trash, they usually put them all in a big trash bag, and take it out). However I did have one employee tell me that they were now receiving them from the distributer in those crappy DVD lock cases. If this is true I will be stock piling as many of the free original cases from BBV that I can. As a footnote to this, today I was at a BBV and I was talking to the employee, and I happened to mention that I waswondering were I could get some the original dual caseslike the one that Star Wars Ep. 2 was in, since I as planning on giving the Band of Brothers I had just bought as a gift. He told me to wait a minutem, went over to the Star Wars rental area, and pulled 3 original display cases, and gave them to me. That was cool, but I wouldn't expect for every store to do that.

5th
On occasion I have had success in completeing a set or getting a DVD that isn't on the floor by asking the employees. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but in the worst case scenario, they say no, and you aren't out anything. Everytime that it has worked for me the store has been relatively emplty, and I don't make a big deal out of it, I just ask.

6th
You may want to try you luck at different times and shifts. Different employees at different times of the day and on different days of the week will handle situations in their own unique manner. Some may be more than accomidating, while others are just their to consume oxygen and take home a paycheck, nothing else. My suggestion, try talking with the employees, and get to be known. I have bought over $400 worth og CG in the last week (don't forget about the buy $50 get $5 free deal on GC), and made numerous purchases. Needless to say, the people at the 3 or 4 stores where I do most my business knw me, and I feel like they do that much more to accomidate me, ie. pulling dvds off the rental shelf for me to buy, giving me cases etc.

In general good luck to everyone. I'm sure you luck will vary, but try and make the most out of the deal. I hope this helps, it is the least that I can do for the forum, since it has given me soooo many memories and deals over the years.
Old 12-09-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Skrulnik, thanks for that nice post of BBV tips. As far as trading inserts I don't know how to do that either. I was hoping someone else would have suggestions, but you are the only one who replied. Perhaps this subject needs to be posted as a separate thread to get noticed?

What I do know about scanning is if you have a decent scanner and scan both sides of the insert in color at 300dpi, then paste the 2 images side by side, and save it as JPG so the compression gets the file size between 70K - 200K and it still looks OK, that should be good enough for most people. Then I suppose the JPG would need to be emailed and the recipient can scale it to the proper insert dimensions, print it and fold it.

It would be much easier if there were a web site (such as www.cdcovers.cc) to save and download these, but I know nothing about this site or whether doing this is OK.

Skrulnik, do you want to pursue this and see if enough other people are interested in a "Share the Inserts" thread, or do you think it's not worth the trouble? At this point I'm beginning to think it may be more trouble than it's worth just to find my 3 missing inserts.
Old 12-09-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that it may be more trouble at the moment if there aren't other people that are expressing concern over the issue. I guess we can wait and see.
Old 12-09-02, 11:42 AM
bjv

I have a question for all of you who have experience with BBV. How does rent it-like it-buy it work with the current promotion of B2G1 free ? I am not a BBV member. So should I go and become a member and then take any 3 dvds from rental shelf and tell them that I want to buy it ? Do I pay rent on top of $9.99 ? I am a newbie as far as BBV is concerned so any help is appreciated.
Old 12-09-02, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by bjv
I have a question for all of you who have experience with BBV. How does rent it-like it-buy it work with the current promotion of B2G1 free ? I am not a BBV member. So should I go and become a member and then take any 3 dvds from rental shelf and tell them that I want to buy it ? Do I pay rent on top of $9.99 ? I am a newbie as far as BBV is concerned so any help is appreciated.
I haven't done this myself but my understanding is you can combine the two deals, but that means you would have to had previously rented the movie or you are going to pay $9.99 + the rental fee.
Old 12-09-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local store put out Spiderman (12.99) and Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones (9.99) today so you my want to call around and look for them. I bought the next to last copy of each so it may be a lucky find.
Old 12-09-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bjv
for the rent/like/buy promo, they are only good on certain new release dvds for a certain time period after release (like 2-4 weeks??). During that promotional period, if you rent the dvd, you will be given the opportunity to purchase it previewed within the next 6? months @ $9.99.

I was able to combine rent/like/buy with 3-for-2.
Old 12-11-02, 01:58 PM

went today to the Northbrook, IL store and got Oz Season One complete for 19.98. Nothing else was at a very good price, though.
Old 12-11-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up these $14.99 titles... Mainly for the first title:

Baran
Count of Monte Cristo
Kissing Jessica Stein

They all came in the orignal keep cases with the inserts... God damn I hate all those other BB stores that use the replacement ones!!!
Old 12-12-02, 02:46 AM

Just picked up two copies of Chris Rock's Bring the Pain (one for a present) and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Does Bring the Pain have an insert?
Old 12-12-02, 06:35 PM

I picked up From Hell LE, The Rookie and In The Bedroom for 19.98 plus tax. Strangely, both From Hell and In The Bedroom had several different prices.
Old 12-12-02, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Watchband
I picked up From Hell LE, The Rookie and In The Bedroom for 19.98 plus tax. Strangely, both From Hell and In The Bedroom had several different prices.
Yeah, when I bought Dog Soldiers they had 2 copies; one for 9.99 and one for 12.99. Needless to say I picked up the 9.99 one and they did a price adjustment as it came up as 12.99 in the computer.
Old 12-13-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still looking to complete the Band of Brothers Set and Sopranos Season 3 set.
Old 12-14-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up:

The Powerpuff Girls Movie $9.99
The Attic Expeditions $9.99
Gosford Park $6.99 (free)

I was tempted to pick up Panic Room, but when I saw they had a copy of the Powerpuff Girls Movie, I decided to get that instead. Gosford Park rang up at $6.99, but it was actually priced at $9.99, and they had several at $16.99 as well.

Rob

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.