DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Blockbuster PV DVD 3 for 2 Sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/251732-blockbuster-pv-dvd-3-2-sale.html)

DVD-Obsession 11-18-02 04:05 PM

Blockbuster PV DVD 3 for 2 Sale

Blockbuster isn't wasting any time between sales anymore. Today's the last day for PV DVD $9.99 sale, and the manager of the Blockbuster store I was at indicated that the next sale was a Buy 2 Get The 3'rd One Free of Equal Or Lesser Value. The Sale is from 12/3 - 12/30. Happy Hunting...... Yes, it applies to games also.

Dabaomb 11-18-02 04:48 PM

thanks for the heads up on this. I like this sale much better cuz $9.99 for a used BBV DVD that usually doesn't have the insert is still too much for me. But $6.66 + Tax (Buy 2 @ $9.99, get a 3rd one at $9.99 for free) is justifiable cuz this is the cheapest that I'll get it anywhere.

Ginwen 11-18-02 04:51 PM

Not bad, as I noticed a lot have been marked down to 9.99 near me anyway. Too bad I already got the ones I wanted for 9.99.

Maybe they are finally getting a bit more serious about clearing those ups (which makes sense if they are going to be trying to do more sales).

spyzdope 11-18-02 06:22 PM

I bought two titles yesterday at $9.99 a piece. Is there any chance I can go back and get the new deal tomorrow? I'd rather buy 2 at $12 and get 1 free than just 2 at $9.99. Unfortunately, I already peeled the stickers off of the cases.

fumanstan 11-18-02 08:03 PM

Sale isn't until 12/3

spyzdope 11-18-02 08:19 PM

Oops, I forgot to actually read the post. How about if I go back in two weeks then?

Zodo 11-18-02 08:28 PM

Will this apply to games too?

DVD-Obsession 11-18-02 10:36 PM

Yes... It applies to games also.

succubiss 11-18-02 11:52 PM

Thank YOU!! i've been waiting for the 3-for-2 to buy Blade 2, Skorpion King, and something else for $20 with my try/like/buy promo.

Jeeden 11-19-02 01:38 AM

Has anyone been able to use their Rent it, like it, buy it, register tapes for this?

I have a couple saved up and hoped to knock down the $14.99s to $9.99 and then get the third one free.

babka 11-19-02 02:27 AM

I'm an anal type of dude, and the discs at blockbuster may be NEAR mint, but I would rather have them brand new. I'm just too sick of scuffs on my discs. I've bought alot at blockbuster, but no more. I would pay a buck or two at the most, but that's about it.

AudioWizard 11-19-02 03:40 AM

Originally posted by spyzdope
I bought two titles yesterday at $9.99 a piece. Is there any chance I can go back and get the new deal tomorrow? I'd rather buy 2 at $12 and get 1 free than just 2 at $9.99. Unfortunately, I already peeled the stickers off of the cases.

As a bbv manager let me tell you that your store will not let you do this, and for some reason you can't include your rent it, like it, buy it, titles (even though i believe you should).

AW

Manzana 11-19-02 09:14 AM

Dabaomb, I agree with you. I saw lots of PVD titles at Blockbuster for $9.99 during the sale that I would've liked to buy, but I can't justify paying more than $7 for any PVD because of the missing inserts and lame cases they often give you -- especially when there are very few DVDs that can't be gotten new over the Internet somewhere around $15 or less. That requires a 3-for-2 sale and $9.99 DVDs to make Blockbuster worthwhile for me. The only problem is that most of the ones I want are $12.99 and with the upcoming 3-for-2 deal they still won't reach my magic $7 threshold. That is why I buy so few PVDs.

Skrulnik 11-19-02 09:32 AM

Thanks for the update. Can't wait. Looks like I will be asking the manager to put aside more cases for me. I have had great luck in respect to BBV Previously viewed. I Talked with the manager of the store by me, and asked if they would set aside the cases that they transfer movies out of when they arrive. They throw them away otherwise, and I always pick them up on Tuesdays, so it isn't a storage issue for them, they just stick 10 or so in a drawer until I pick them up. The other cool thing is that many of the cases still have the inserts from the movies in them. I have had about 10 PVD that I have gotten the inserts for in the free cases that I get from BBV. I also have many other inserts, 30 or so of various titles. If anyone else does this with their BBV perhaps they have some inserts too. If interested I can post extra inserts that I have. Anyway this seems like the best way for me to get cases and inserts. Will continue to do this until they say they can't anymore. Then I may have to re-evaluate buying BBV PVD. Thanks again for the update.

Centurion 11-19-02 09:59 AM

When this 3-for-2 deal comes along, don't be surprised if you see BBV increase the prices on their PVD selections.

Skrulnik 11-19-02 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Centurion
When this 3-for-2 deal comes along, don't be surprised if you see BBV increase the prices on their PVD selections.
I have noticed in the past that they have done this, it sucks, if anything, go in there now and document the prices of the discs you are interested, and when the sale comes around, if the prices go up ask them why? I don't think that it is illegal to do this, but I don't think it is fair to do it either.

kerus 11-19-02 11:55 AM

yeah exactly.. the dvd's "priced" at 9.99 now are part of the big sale.
expect them to LEAP back on up to absurd prices like 16.99 and up as soon as its over...

mikerodot78 11-19-02 03:23 PM

From imdb.com

Blockbuster: Buy a Movie; Get One Free

Battling discount home electronics stores for DVD business, Blockbuster on Monday launched a program giving customers one free movie rental for every DVD or VHS movie they purchase. Blockbuster marketing chief Jim Notarnicola said in a statement that the plan "furthers our commitment to being a complete movie source for our customers, and it's a compelling offer that other mass retailers simply can't compete with." Blockbuster has been trying to combat the notion that it is the place to go for movie rentals but that new releases can be obtained at lower prices at other retailers

moocher 11-19-02 03:32 PM

Originally posted by kerus
yeah exactly.. the dvd's "priced" at 9.99 now are part of the big sale. expect them to LEAP back on up to absurd prices like 16.99 and up as soon as its over...
Whoa, there...I have never seen this happen at my BBV's. The one's marked down to 9.99 are usually ones that have been sitting there a while not selling. Why would they then raise the price so that they sell for more than that on a sale when they weren't selling at that price before?? Doesn't make any sense. The reason for these sales is to clear these disks out in order to make room for ones they can make more money on.

Some BBV's may do this but I've never seen it at mine...

ProjectMayhem 11-19-02 03:51 PM

Nice! I can't wait!

I've seen the prices go up quite a bit. One thing that really sticks to me is: When Mothman Profecies first came out, Blockbuster had it for only $9.99 (and they had a TON!). I heard previously about a sale so I figured I'll just wait a few days...When I went in for the sale, they were up to $16.99!

Skrulnik 11-19-02 05:43 PM

Originally posted by moocher
Whoa, there...I have never seen this happen at my BBV's. The one's marked down to 9.99 are usually ones that have been sitting there a while not selling. Why would they then raise the price so that they sell for more than that on a sale when they weren't selling at that price before?? Doesn't make any sense. The reason for these sales is to clear these disks out in order to make room for ones they can make more money on.

Some BBV's may do this but I've never seen it at mine...

The reason they raise the price is to get customers to think that they are getting a better deal than they actually are. They raise the price up before the sale for 2 reasons. Make it look like you are getting a better deal (for instance "I just saved $14.99 by buying 2 at $14.99 each" ) Person thinks that they are saving $14.99. And secondly, they get rid of more movies. They lure people into buying that 2nd and 3rd movie, were as they may have only bought 1 or 2 other wise.

Here is an example that I have seen BBV do in the past. $9.99 movies before the sale. You purchase 3 of these movies, cost $9.99 each or $29.97. Raise the price to $14.99 each during the Buy 2 get 1 free and you purchase the same 3 movies, $29.98. You think that you have saved $14.99 (buy 2 get 1 free), when in actuallity you pay the same amount, actually a penny more, and BBV sells more of there previously viewed stock because you have to get 3 movies to take advantage of the deal.

This is marketing, and if they get away with it then more power to them. But I still recommend going in an making a list of the movies with the prices and date, and bring it back during the sale. You may be suprised what you find.

Hopefully moocher, this explains why they would raise their prices for a sale. It is just like any other retailer in any business sector that tells you that it is on sale, but it actually isn't if they raise the prices before the sale starts.

DVD NDN 11-19-02 05:54 PM

i used to buy many PVDs from Blockbster, but no longer, for a couple bucks more I'll take the inserts, orignal case, and a mint disk from CH.
But, that won't stop me from going in anyway to look for that rare find...;)

Centurion 11-19-02 11:28 PM

Skrulnik, sounds like you're on to them too.
I've noticed BBV doing this type of thing for two years now.

chipmac 11-20-02 02:03 AM

I just wish that when they lower their prices that they would update the stickers. The store by me has had Tomb Raider for $16.99 for the last several months and I've been waiting for them to lower the price. During this last sale where everything was $9.99 I finally decided to pick it up at that price. When I left the store and looked at the receipt it said the price was $12.99 before the discount. It's probably been $12.99 for a while but they never changed the sticker. I still wouldn't have bought it at $12.99 but how many others are mismarked as well. It such a hassel having to bring a stack up to the desk and have them scan it to find the correct price only to have me tell them no thanks. But the worst part is they'll have several copies of the same movie at different prices so you also need to sort through them to find a good price but you never know if it is the right price.

Skrulnik 11-20-02 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Centurion
Skrulnik, sounds like you're on to them too.
I've noticed BBV doing this type of thing for two years now.

Yes, it is true for all the "non-believers". It may be true that a few don't partake in this practice, but most do. I went to BBV last night and make my list. Here are 2 lists the first being DVDs that are $9.99 now and ones that were $9.99 and now have been raised to $12.99, $14.99, or $16.99.

$9.99

24 - Disks 1-5
Jurassic Park 3
Ali
K-Pax
American Sweethearts
Kiss of the Dragon
Bandits
Manhunter
Beautiful Mind
Monsters Ball
Behind Enemy Lines
The Musketter
Domestic Disturbance
Nobody's Baby
Don't Say a Word
Novocaine
From Hell
Oceans Eleven
Glass House
Silence of the Lambs
Gosford Park
Riding in cars with boys
Hannibal
Spy Game
Hardball
Training Day
Herats in Atlantis
Rush Hour 2
The Heist
Zoolander
Scary Movie 2

$12.99 - $16.99 (already raised from $9.99 or other prices in the past)

Monsters Inc.
Orange County
Pearl Harbor
The Score
Men in Black
Scorpion King
Mothman Prophecies
Tomb Raider
Black Hawk Down
Lord of the Rings
Evolution
Blade 2
Dragonfly
The Rookie
Resident Evil
John Q.
Crossroads

It would be interesting to know how the other BBV are pricing their dvds. I also will check back when the sale starts, and post their "sale prices" on these dvds. I still will buy them though, they still are a good deal in some cases.