Blockbuster PV DVD 3 for 2 Sale

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster PV DVD 3 for 2 Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too, all the titles are always $9.99 at my local BBV in southern cali. Just picked up

Monsoon Wedding
Hollywood Ending
Princesa
Spy Kids
Project Greenlight's Stolen Summer
Big Trouble

$40...They all came in the original keep cases with the chapter inserts...not bad since they let me choose which discs I wanted from the rental selection, allowing me to get scratch-free discs for all of them. I LOVE THIS STORE...they bend over backwards in customer service at this location!

Is Dog Soliders a worthwhile flick? Was going to pick it up, but the counter guy was like, "never saw it, but I don't think it's good enough to buy..." any thoughts?
Old 12-04-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
Went to BB today and left pretty happy...although all were in gay BB cases w/o inserts...

Dog Soldiers - Only one...
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Frailty

I tried to get them to bring a Brotherhood of the Wolf down for me, but they didn't. Anyone see BOTW previewed? I want it!
There were about 6 copies at the store by me
Old 12-04-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Anyone know when The Sum of All Fears will be offered as a PVD?

Ghostface180:

Y Tu Mama Tambien was available yesterday as a PVD @ $14.99 in Foley, AL.
I pick it up yesterday for $9.99 all the rest were $14.99 at both the stores I went to. Think it may have been mismarked, because it rang up as $14.99 and I said it rang up wrong, she kindly took off the $5.
Old 12-04-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I am shocked, because the BBVs by me did different things. They are only about 2 or 3 miles apart, but they did different things. One of them did the old raise the price on some of there DVDs (although it wasn't as much as in previous sales), and the other stayed with the prices before the sale. Basically all new releases were $14.99-$16.99, but as mentioned before, disappointed by seeing a lot of them as Fullscreen (ie, Mr. Deeds, Scooby Doo, Insomnia), but oh well.

I ended up going back and forth between the 2 stores, and getting some really good deals on ones that I didn't already have.

Sopranos Season 3 all 4 disks in great shape $9.99 each
Sum of All Fears $9.99
The Scorpion King $9.99
Monsters Inc $14.99
Panic Room $14.99
Tarzan (Disney) $14.99 (There was a mix up on this one. It said Tarzan on the case, but it was Tarzan and Jane inside took it back and the guy pulled one of the shelf to replace it.)
Manhunter $9.99
Vanilla Sky $9.99
Orange County $9.99

I will be going back tonight to see what else I can get. I also price matched Goldmember there using some of the free $5 GC that I got when I purcgased $150 in GC.

How are Brotherhoodof the Wolf and Storytelling are they worthwhile purchases?
Old 12-04-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to one of my BBV's here in Waco and they had 15 DVD's out for sale. Not 15 different titles, but ONLY 15 DVD's. I couldn't believe it. Most were priced at $12.99 or $14.99. Orange County was the only one priced at $9.99. I'm going to the other BBV across town and see what they have today.
Old 12-04-02, 09:13 AM

They had Insomnia in a BB near my office,but all the copies turned out to be full frame (yech!).
Old 12-04-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Anyone know if Hollywood Video is still doing their 2for20 deal?
http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/specials/pv_spotlight.asp
Old 12-04-02, 10:21 AM

in Alpharetta, GA manhunter, Ali, Gosford park, and beautiful mind are 6.99 before the buy 2 offer.
Old 12-04-02, 10:50 AM

Hey, SLOmade, where is your Blockbuster at? I'd make a drive down to orange county to get the original cases and inserts. Brotherhood of the Wolf is definitely worth the money. A effective mix of horror, martial-arts and period piece, I really liked it. Storytelling is worth it if you like freaky, offensive stuff. It's from the director of Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse if that tells you anything...
Old 12-04-02, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skrulnik
[B]Yes, it is true for all the "non-believers". It may be true that a few don't partake in this practice, but most do. I went to BBV last night and make my list. Here are 2 lists the first being DVDs that are $9.99 now and ones that were $9.99 and now have been raised to $12.99, $14.99, or $16.99.

[B]

At our BB many of these were $9.99 last month, but that was a sale price. They were marked at $12.99 but on sale for $9.99.

Now the $12.99 ones are back to $12.99 and B2G1F.

That's not misleading though. They had a $9.99 sale. It ended. Now they are having a B2G1F sale. They are 2 different things.

I wish they were all $9.99 and not $12.99, but I understand what they are doing and don't feel they are doing anything underhanded or misleading.

Don't know about other locations.
Old 12-04-02, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just at the Blockbuster by me. A bunch of copies of Y Tu Mama Tambien, but no Dog Soldiers. They said maybe on Monday. I called the other store in my area and they said that they'll probably put out a couple of Dog Soldiers on Monday.

They also had Panic Room, Enough, Monsters Inc, Insomnia (Full Screen), Windtalkers, etc.
Old 12-04-02, 04:18 PM

The price for PVD are high at Blockbuster in Fremont, range between $12.99 to $14.99. The newer release mostly $14.99. For that price, I can get them new at the store on the first week release. I even only paid $9.99 for Starwars. But I found some good buys at the second store I went. I picked Beijing Bicycle, Son of the Bride for $14.99 each and got The Son's Room for free. I only see one available for this title.
All of the discs are in mint condition (no scratch or hand print), almost like nobody ever rent them. However they came in BBV crappy cases.

I picked up Dog Soldier, Scorpion King for $12.99 and got Dead Zone for free at Milpitas store. I only saw one Dead Zone and Dog Soldier available.

Also got Kate and Leopold, Ocean Eleven, Insomnia (Full Screen) for $20.
Old 12-04-02, 04:35 PM

BBV prices and what's available in Parker, Colorado...

$6.99

A Beautiful Mind
Ali
Manhunter
Gosford Park

$9.99

24 - Disks 1-5
Oz - Disks 1-4
Band Of Brothers - Disks 2-4
Sopranos Season 3 - Disks 1-4
Amelia
Jurassic Park 3
K-Pax
American Sweethearts
Kiss of the Dragon
Bandits
Monsters Ball
Behind Enemy Lines
Domestic Disturbance
Nobody's Baby
Don't Say a Word
Novocaine
From Hell
Oceans Eleven
Glass House
Silence of the Lambs
Riding in cars with boys
Hannibal
Spy Game
Hardball
Training Day
Hearts in Atlantis
Rush Hour 2
The Heist
Zoolander
Scary Movie 2
Orange County
The Score
Blackhawk Down
Blade 2
John Q
Resident Evil
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Mexican

$12.99 - $14.99 (already raised from $9.99 or other prices in the past)

Death to Smoochy
Monsters Inc.
Men in Black
The Musketeer
Scorpion King
Mothman Prophecies
Evolution
Dragonfly
Crossroads
The Rookie

$16.99

Lord of the Rings

There are between 3 and 50 of everyone of the titles listed (except Evolution, Monsters Inc. and Men in Black) as of yesterday.

Last edited by ccoolidge; 12-04-02 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Picked up the following:

From Hell - 12.99
A Beautiful Mind - 6.99
Gosford Park - 6.99

A little over 18 bucks total.
Old 12-04-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Well my blockbuster started this 12-2 at about 9 pm. I got:

Audition (yeah)
Monsoon Wedding (yeah)
The Deep End (Not of the Ocean)
Life as a House
Panic Room
40 Days 40 Nights (guilty pleasure)

for 52.00.

ALSO, remember that if you buy a $50.00 Giftcard, you get an additional $5.00 card as well, so that could be additional savings if you are buying 6 titles.

SPY
Old 12-04-02, 08:43 PM

Re: mario

Originally posted by rbf1138
sorry to ask again, but, does anyones bb have mario sunshine for gamecube previewed yet? thanks again.
I found one at the hollywood/western store if that's any help. I believe the price was $35

Does anybody know where I can get brotherhood of the wolf in the los angeles area?

Last edited by toogood; 12-04-02 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, I checked my local hollywood video and indeed they are only doing 2for25. But, their scooby is widescreen and not a snapper. The others weren't available PV yet. With luck, they'll do a 2for20 or better in a month or so and all of BB's pan&scams will be widescreen.
Old 12-04-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The AZ BBV I went to had a PVD selection and prices very similar to that listed at Parker, Colorado (except Resident Evil was not $9.99). I had written down several titles I was interested in during the previous sale and none of the prices had been raised for the 3-for-2 sale. I ended up getting Shallow Hal, Hart's War and The Rookie WS for $19.98 + tax.

The person there was nice enough to let me look through many DVD cases to pick the ones in the best shape and to confirm that not a single case had the inserts. Earlier in this thread it was said that at least 1 BBV saved the inserts and original cases when asked. I asked my BBV the same question and I was told they receive the PVD titles already in the Blockbuster "crap" cases and missing the inserts from the main headquarters, so if that's accurate and I understood correctly I'm amazed anyone found a BBV that could provide inserts and orginal cases.

Finding replacement cases is not too bad as Fry's has a 10 pack of cheapo single DVD cases for a few dollars. However, there's no way I can replace the inserts unless I can find someone who has scanned them so I can print replacements.

Skrulnik mentioned some weeks ago that he had several inserts available. Does anyone have good scans of the DVD inserts I'm missing which can be printed out at full size without enlarging? Is there a web site? (www.cdcovers.cc only has fronts and DVDs... no inserts unfortunately.) The only other insert I need is for The Animal.
Old 12-05-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Manzana

Finding replacement cases is not too bad as Fry's has a 10 pack of cheapo single DVD cases for a few dollars. However, there's no way I can replace the inserts unless I can find someone who has scanned them so I can print replacements.

Skrulnik mentioned some weeks ago that he had several inserts available. Does anyone have good scans of the DVD inserts I'm missing which can be printed out at full size without enlarging? Is there a web site? (www.cdcovers.cc only has fronts and DVDs... no inserts unfortunately.) The only other insert I need is for The Animal.
I still get my "regular cases" from blockbuster. I go to 2 different stores, and each or every other Monday I go to BBV and pick up some cases. Some times only a handful, other times, 20 or so. I still think that there are enough people out there that have inserts that we can trade or post which ones we have, to keep the previously viewed BBV deal good. I know that I have 30 or so, and I know that another member has been in touch with me about inserts, anyone else have any?

I went to BBV tonight, picked up another complete set of Sopranos season 3 and discs 4-6 of Band of Brothers, and told 2 BBV that I was specifically looking for Band of Brothers discs 1-3, and they took my name and number, and are going to call me when they get the "pull list" from headquarters on Saturday to see if any others have been put out.
Old 12-05-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
has anyone seen A Walk to Remeber for 9.99? they all seem to be 14.99? just wondering.

As far as games
GCN
Resident Evil 19.99
007 Agent 19.99
Batman 19.99
Tarzan 14.99
Wave Race 14.99
Monkey Ball 14.99
Pikmin 19.99 (pick this up if you have not yet)
Mario Sunshine 34.99
Animal Crossing 34.99
Old 12-05-02, 12:50 AM

Also be on the lookout for Notorious C.H.O. I saw two today marked at $9.99. And some MGM midnight movie collection dvd's marked at $6.99. I got Bucket of Blood, Dunwich Horror and Breeders for $14 bucks.
Old 12-05-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ones I have been too don't have much of a selection.
Old 12-05-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got Band Of Brothers 1-6, 5 and 6 are together, so I also picked up Amelie. $42 and change for all of em. Pretty good deal!
Old 12-05-02, 02:29 AM
Cool New Member

Some interesting stories. I talked to three managers who were mingling by a register to take down a copy of Sum of All Fears for me since I knew it was on the PDVD list. They asked how I knew and I said I know of people from other stores that have bought them. They checked their list and told me that it was not on their list and that each store got a different list. I suspected this but always thought it was a single national list from corporate. Can anyone verify either way?

Second, I asked what they did with the original cases after they move the DVD's to the rental cases. The manager said, "Well we used to throw them away but now my boss keeps them. She is going to bundle them together and sell them." Is this legal? This is a Blockbuster store, not Joe's Corner Market. I mean what is to stop her from baking muffins and selling them too? Does corporate approve of this?

DVD's I saw (Goleta, CA):
Blade II (14.99, but some are mispriced at 9.99)
Shipping News
40 Days and 40 Nights
Dahlmer
The Last Castle
Beautiful Mind
Panic Room
The Rookie
In the Bedroom
Changing Lanes
John Q
Frailty
Resident Evil
From Hell

All 9.99. Others I couldn't remember. I was looking for The Heist and The Score but couldn't find them
Old 12-05-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sygyzy
Some interesting stories. I talked to three managers who were mingling by a register to take down a copy of Sum of All Fears for me since I knew it was on the PDVD list. They asked how I knew and I said I know of people from other stores that have bought them. They checked their list and told me that it was not on their list and that each store got a different list. I suspected this but always thought it was a single national list from corporate. Can anyone verify either way?
From what I gathered from talking to different stores, each store gets a print out of which ones to put out, based on each individual's stores rate of rental for particular movies. I guess if they haven't been renting well, they get put out for previously viewed, or if they have a boat load of them on hand. I could be wrong though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.