Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Ed Piskor (1982-2024) R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

I’m thinking Ed Piskor was even more guilty than the week-long internet mob thought he was, as he took the coward’s way out and did some victim blaming in his manifesto. Now those poor girls are getting death threats from the gater crowd.

https://www.thewrap.com/ed-piskor-di...y-tree-artist/

Last edited by Trevor; 04-05-24 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 11:48 AM

Re: Comic book artists/etc R.I.P. thread

Mark D. Bright at 68
https://ytech.news/en/industry-mourn...oso-md-bright/
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I’m thinking Ed Piskor was even more guilty than the week-long internet mob thought he was, as he took the coward’s way out and did some victim blaming in his manifesto. Now those poor girls are getting death threats from the gater crowd.

https://www.thewrap.com/ed-piskor-di...y-tree-artist/
I didn't know what to think of this. I read his post and it hit me so hard. I was never a fan but started watching his YouTube show and I thought it was good.
Old 04-04-24, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

I think it's preferable have separate threads rather than one "catch-all" to discuss comics pros who pass on. This forum doesn't get THAT much traffic (if any) to begin with, and discussions or news about a passing will get buried under a generic thread title and lessen discussion. My $0.02 but this isn't a good idea.

Also RIP Mark Bright, absolutely loved Armor Wars and Icon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
B5Erik (04-04-24), Trevor (04-05-24)
Old 04-04-24, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I think it's preferable have separate threads rather than one "catch-all" to discuss comics pros who pass on. This forum doesn't get THAT much traffic (if any) to begin with, and discussions or news about a passing will get buried under a generic thread title and lessen discussion. My $0.02 but this isn't a good idea.

Also RIP Mark Bright, absolutely loved Armor Wars and Icon.
Yeah, there's no way to know who died, and I'd say each individual artist/writer deserves his/her own thread. I'll start one for Mark Bright.
Trevor (04-05-24)
Old 04-04-24, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

I was sad to hear of MD Bright's passing. He was the co-creator of Quantum and Woody, one of my favorite indie titles. He was also responsible for the most iconic Transformers comic book cover. I still remember catching this on a newsstand and being blown away.

Brian T (04-05-24)
Old 04-05-24, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,794 Likes on 1,923 Posts

I had no idea MDB did that Transformers cover! I even have that issue!
Old 04-05-24, 02:21 PM

I’ll admit I was wrong on trying to have them all one thread, just figured that some minor ones wouldn’t necessarily need their own thread and we’d have a catch all thread like we do in Other. But yeah, this subforum could use all the traffic we can muster.

I’ll ask the mods to change the title of this one to make it just for Piskor.

Was hoping to maybe have some discussion on his wild last week.
Old 04-05-24, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ll admit I was wrong on trying to have them all one thread, just figured that some minor ones wouldn’t necessarily need their own thread and we’d have a catch all thread like we do in Other. But yeah, this subforum could use all the traffic we can muster.

I’ll ask the mods to change the title of this one to make it just for Piskor.

Was hoping to maybe have some discussion on his wild last week.
I honestly think a catch-all thread probably works better. This forum doesn't get enough traffic for a lot of individual threads to work most of the time unless it's a huge name passing away.
Spiderbite (04-06-24)
Old 04-05-24, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I think it's fine to have multiple threads (unless the forum is paying per thread or something) to give proper tribute to the artists that pass, even if there are some that would get minimal posts.

The Piskor thing is a tough situation, I still don't know what happened, what's true and what's not, but either way it is tragic that he felt that was the only way out.
Old 04-05-24, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

We could the catch-all thread for letterers and others who may not need pics.
Old 04-05-24, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I honestly think a catch-all thread probably works better. This forum doesn't get enough traffic for a lot of individual threads to work most of the time unless it's a huge name passing away.
It works, if you're omniscient and know when someone dies and who it is. Otherwise the thread title and comments in it mean nothing to anyone.

I'm not down with one catch all thread where you have no idea who died. Some people mean more to me than others. I'm not interested in a catch all thread because half the people who pass away didn't affect me. Let me know in the thread title who it was.

Fuck, can you imagine John Romita's death and no specific thread? A GIANT of the industry becoming a footnote in a catch all thread. Ridiculous.
Old 04-10-24, 10:53 AM

Mods, can we please change this thread title to:

Old 04-10-24, 10:56 AM

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Mods, can we please change this thread title to:

Done.
Trevor (04-14-24)
Old 04-11-24, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Ed Piskor (1982-2024) R.I.P.

Sad situation all round. Much blame being offered and fingers pointed, but the main voice that could have helped shed some light chose to stay quiet, write a fairly vicious note and then (apparently) take his own life.

The initial allegations weren't as bad as some made them sound, they seem to have been amplified by certain voices in the far right comics community for their own petty ends, also picked up on by several prominent voices wanting to protect women, and wound up in a perfect storm of outrage and bluster that (maybe?) contributed to Piskor's decision.

The Comics Journal did a nice overview of his life and career today, and the last few weeks were rightly only a brief few paragraphs - and not intended to spur on his call for vengeance, but just to note the circumstances surrounding his demise.

Reddit and elsewhere has a number of supporting allegations, whether any will make their way into the open now, or whether it would be seen to be unreasonably cruel to continue to pile on at this point remains to be seen.

Everybody lost in this situation, and there'll be years of pain for a lot of people.
The following 2 users liked this post by ntnon:
PhantomStranger (04-18-24), Trevor (04-14-24)
Old 04-18-24, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That piece on Piskor is great, covering his rise and career. I don't usually pay attention to comic book social media so I was unaware of everything which had been going down in his life.
Old 04-19-24, 09:48 AM

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Sad to hear about MD Bright's passing, as I also had an opportunity to enjoy some of his creative output in the comic book industry. In fact, looking at his striking Transformers cover and also not realizing that was his work, I bet I enjoyed a ton of his creative output without even realizing at the time that he was the artist. I know Quantum and Woody is a fan favorite comic to this very day.

I will need to read up on Piskor, as I have not paid deep attention to comic book news for quite some time and was not aware of the troubles that were swirling around him. Look, I am still sad to hear of his passing even if he was a very flawed individual. Passing away when you are 42 years old is much too soon to go. Heck, I was born in 71, so it is always a bit jarring to hear of the passing of someone whose work I may have admired many times in the past 20-30 years that is younger than me.

Old 04-20-24, 09:45 AM

Pretty sure that there very little negative out there about him until about a week before he took his life. It happened fast.
Old 04-22-24, 08:03 AM

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Pretty sure that there very little negative out there about him until about a week before he took his life. It happened fast.
The comicsgate crowd were unhappy with him, and it seems there had been a few rumors swirling, but yes. It was very fast, did not seem completely damning, and yet.