Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The One and Only Kickstarter Comics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The One and Only Kickstarter Comics Thread

They have one in Video Games Talk, so why not one for us too?

Here are two I'm currently backing:

Sullivan's Sluggers: It's a book about a minor league baseball team that finds themselves fighting for their lives against zombies or demons or something. Whatever. It looks awesome. Written by Mark Andrew Smith (Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, the New Brighton Archeological Society, and the Amazing Joy Buzzards) and illustrated by James Stokoe (Orc Stain). This thing is off the hook intense, and it's been successful enough that the book is going to be a slip-cased hardcover.

Warning -- less than 48 hours to go on this Kickstarter, so pledge now if you want in on it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-graphic-novel

Sidekicks: About five years ago, Paul Jenkins and Chris Moreno did a great book about a poor schlub who is a sidekick to four different superheroes. It was hilarious, and now they're bringing it back. I would compare it to (in art style and tone) Chew, but set in a superhero universe with characters like The Living Sherbet, Claude Balls, Dinosaur Hunter ("When mankind eventually clones dinosaurs, Claude Balls will be ready"), and Bitch Slap ("If Green Lantern were a pimp, this is what he would look like.")

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1803036765/sidekick
Old 11-30-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: The One and Only Kickstarter Comics Thread

If you like Comics, Movies and Horror...then you might like this. I am a fan of HorrorHound's magazine. They do great spreads showing all kinds of collectables for horror movies and series so this book should look pretty damn good.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...m_content=HTML

Spoiler:
Halftone Horrors: The History of Horror Movie Comic Books is a labor of love from a team of lifelong horror and comic book fans. From the makers of HorrorHound Magazine, this hardbound full-color book is set to be the most comprehensive guide to the merging worlds of horror cinema and comic books. This guide takes you through the early days of Dell, Charlton, and Gold Key Comics ... from the crazy Indie-fueled '80s and '90s (Aircel, Blackthorne, Adventure) ... to the new millennium resurgence of the art form (Boom!, Dynamite, IDW). As fans of this industry, we thought "how cool it would be if someone created a book detailing the history of every horror movie-based comic ever produced"? ... Then we remembered, thanks to the decades of research and 15 years producing HorrorHound Magazine, we had the resources to make it a reality! Over the past eight months HorrorHound Editor-in-Chief Nathan Hanneman began to piece together that history, in an effort to deliver the most exhaustive guide to the subject ever imagined.

"I have always been a huge supporter of reference and history guides – especially ones that revolve around the world of collecting. If the idea of owning a companion guide to an entire world of collectibles means as much to you as it does to me, then this will be a priceless option and possession to have. It was an important challenge I wanted to take on. While we have been working on this book for years, finishing it was never a time-manageable opportunity. The pandemic shut-down of 2020 was a sobering reminder that you shouldn't delay your hopes and goals. I used my time quarantined in my home office to finally bring this project to reality. With help from Kickstarter backers, we can bring it to the masses." – Nathan Hanneman (author)
An example of what Halftone Horrors has to offer ... this 240-page Hardcover is designed to tell the history of horror cinema as viewed through the world of comics. To take readers on a journey to learn how the industry evolved over time. Not only to find out how characters from our favorite scary movies were translated to the funny pages, but to also follow their journey from publisher to publisher – either in adapted format or all-new stories and adventures. All the heavyweights of the horror industry are included, from such films as Dracula, Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Night of the Living Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Puppet Master, The Lost Boys, Final Destination, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Hatchet ... the fun isn't just tracing the comic book history of these iconic films and the companies who brought them to life, but to hunt down the rarest of titles as well. Helping fans not only discover comics they never knew existed, but films as well. When working on this project over the years, we were amazed at some of the films that somehow received comic treatment. Titles like The Giant Spider Invasion, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Freaks, The Monster Club, The Deep, The Willies, Street Trash, Waxwork, Motel Hell, The Orphan Killer, and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. This book features over 600 titles – and thousands of images archiving the history of this exciting industry. We have presented a few example pages below just to give you an idea of what's in store. Remember. This is but 10 pages ... of a 240-page history of horror comics!

Tried to post some pix of the book and what it looked like but couldn't get them to show up. Hit the link.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (12-01-20)
Old 12-01-20, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

That actually looks fantastic for horror comic fans. $35 for a hardcover copy. Looks like it will meet its first funding goal.
Old 02-22-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

Heavy Rotation, a comic about 80s college DJs:

HEAVY ROTATION by Shelly Bond — Kickstarter

This one's only got two days left and has already met the requirement, but I donated anyway just to get the book and the swag.
BackStJoe (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Heavy Rotation, a comic about 80s college DJs:

HEAVY ROTATION by Shelly Bond — Kickstarter

This one's only got two days left and has already met the requirement, but I donated anyway just to get the book and the swag.
Same. For $12 you get quite a bit.
Paff (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I recently backed Tex (Italian Western, about halfway to its goal halfway through the campaign so I’m concerned about it) and Athena Voltaire (throwback pulp adventure, has blown past the target and hit most of its stretch goals).

A bunch of my kickstarters have gone fine, but I’m still waiting on four. One (Dreadstar) is behind but promising to send soon. One (Maggie the Cat) never delivered, but the organizer of a subsequent Mike Grell project said they’d send my stuff, but they haven’t. Another couple were organized by the now-infamous Drew Ford, who did send PDFs but keeps begging for money through various channels so I’m very skeptical of those. The last three soured me on KS so I went a while without backing anything.
Old 02-23-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve had a surprisingly good Kickstarter track record. The Arsenic Lullabies campaign took like six years, but I eventually got my stuff. John K’s Cans campaign was a mess and I never got my short, but I only donated $1, and the short eventually made its way to YouTube.

Last year’s Rifftrax campaign had its live shows delayed a year, but due to the pandemic that’s understandable.
Old 02-23-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I saw the Heavy Rotation and backed that one. Pretty much the time period I was in college listening to that music so interested to see what it shows. Also came across a Jack Katz kickstarter surprised he was still with us.
Old 03-02-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a comic, but there’s a documentary about Mike Mignola being made, which is closing in on $200,000 raised and it’s only been up for about 24 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lm/description
John Pannozzi (03-03-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff Smith is running a Kickstarter for two Tuki books:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...re/description
Old 06-02-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Jeff Smith is running a Kickstarter for two Tuki books:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...re/description
I pledged to this one. I'm still waiting on the Tim Truman Scout kickstarter from 2018 and I went in pretty big on that one with the original art package. I was comforted by Smith saying the books were done for this campaign so hopefully there's a fairly quick turnaround.
Old 06-02-21, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I missed this earlier but I love Jeff Smith and Bone. I'm in. I hate the FOMO aspect though.
Old 06-02-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up going with the $40 level, since that gets me the two books, plus a pin and four Bone prints from stretch goals.
Old 06-03-21, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I ended up going with the $40 level, since that gets me the two books, plus a pin and four Bone prints from stretch goals.
I did the same (I also added on the RASL hardcover). I really wanted the hardcovers, but I just don't think it's worth the extra $40 to me. I'll probably regret it, but what are you gonna do.
majorjoe23 (06-03-21)
Old 06-25-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

Did everyone get their Heavy Rotation books?

I'm liking it a lot, only complaint is that the stories are too short! I even like the prose stories in addition to the comic ones.
Old 06-27-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
I recently backed Tex (Italian Western, about halfway to its goal halfway through the campaign so I’m concerned about it) and Athena Voltaire (throwback pulp adventure, has blown past the target and hit most of its stretch goals).

A bunch of my kickstarters have gone fine, but I’m still waiting on four. One (Dreadstar) is behind but promising to send soon. One (Maggie the Cat) never delivered, but the organizer of a subsequent Mike Grell project said they’d send my stuff, but they haven’t. Another couple were organized by the now-infamous Drew Ford, who did send PDFs but keeps begging for money through various channels so I’m very skeptical of those. The last three soured me on KS so I went a while without backing anything.
Update four months later: I backed another successful project (Zagor from the Epicenter folks, on indiegogo) and have received several PDFs but no physical rewards from all the others.
Old 06-29-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Did everyone get their Heavy Rotation books?

I'm liking it a lot, only complaint is that the stories are too short! I even like the prose stories in addition to the comic ones.
Got mine last week. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but will try to get to it during the long weekend coming up. Skimmed through and looks cool. Going to have to put on some 80's college in the background while reading
Old 07-14-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The Jeff Smith Tuki backer kit surveys are out...
majorjoe23 (07-14-21)
Old 09-04-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good news is that I received both my Dreadstar and Tex rewards.

I just backed another Epicenter Eurocomic called Mister No. This would be his first time in English, and I like the adventure vibe.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-graphic-novel
Old 03-31-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good fulfillment week for me. I received the rewards for Ron Randall’s new Trekker and Epicenter’s Zagor and Mister No.
Old 03-31-22, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

For Rocketeer fans, Jennifer Stevens (Dave's daughter) is doing a crowdfunding for a Rocketeer puzzle featuring the classic Bullseye art. You can also get a couple of art prints, and a T-shirt.

https://zoop.gg/c/rocketeer
Old 04-01-22, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
For Rocketeer fans, Jennifer Stevens (Dave's daughter) is doing a crowdfunding for a Rocketeer puzzle featuring the classic Bullseye art. You can also get a couple of art prints, and a T-shirt.

https://zoop.gg/c/rocketeer
I may have to back that, the bundle is a pretty good deal. I did just get my Madmania cereal Kickstarter rewards today.

Old 04-21-22, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Six days left for the Rocketeer crowdfunding project

https://zoop.gg/c/rocketeer?fbclid=I...7WpxUDR3FXHVRw
Old 05-16-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There’s a Madman metal lunchbox and Digest (no new material) that launched today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3508483
Old 09-21-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Winchester Mystery House: Centennial Edition - BackerKit /c

I thought some might be interested in this. Includes a graphic novel plus a game on a topic I have always been fascinated with. Decent stretch goals as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.