Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Roy Thomas is trying to get credit for character creations including Wolverine.

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 03-31-24, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...-of-wolverine/

This is a really bad look for Thomas.
Feels like a stolen valor type of thing.
He was in the room and maybe suggested the name.

Maybe the Inker and colorist should make a claim.
Old 03-31-24, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Roy Thomas is trying to get credit for character creations including Wolverine.

Well, Stan Lee did teach Roy everything he knows.

(Sorry Stan...I love you and miss ya!)

The sad part is Roy's legend is strong enough without now taking credits away from dead people who can't speak for themselves. He shouldn't and doesn't need to do stuff like this.
Old 03-31-24, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Roy Thomas is trying to get credit for character creations including Wolverine.

Wolverine is a really good example of how characters are created by a committee and don't really have a single creator.

Yeah, there's Wein, Trimpe, and JRSr. And then Gil Kane redesigned the costume into the iconic one we know today. Cockrum gave him a face under the mask. And Claremont and Byrne actually developed the character into something interesting. Without those two, the character probably would have been forgotten by the early 80s. (At one point early in the X-Men run, they considered killing him off.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-05-24 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

He'd be Thunderbird without Claremont and Byrne.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-01-24)
Old 04-01-24, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Well, Stan Lee did teach Roy everything he knows.

(Sorry Stan...I love you and miss ya!)

The sad part is Roy's legend is strong enough without now taking credits away from dead people who can't speak for themselves. He shouldn't and doesn't need to do stuff like this.
This is the weird thing to me unless there's a significant payout because of this for the new movies and he needs the money or something.
Old 04-04-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Sleazy tactic if we're all being honest. It's a bad look.
Old 04-06-24, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

How much could he even get from this? Len Wein had talked about having made more money from Lucius Fox than Wolverine.
Old 04-06-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I was alive at the time, and I read comics, so I'm claiming partial credit for Wolverine. If I weren't buying comics there wouldn't have been a market for Wolverine.

So I'm claiming .00000000001% ownership in the character. I've got my lawyer on speed dial, and we're ready to go! Marvel - Time to pony up those pennies!!!!
Old 04-06-24, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Thomas wants more for his signature at cons? Co-creator of Wolverine probably commands a lot more in autograph money than saying Marvel's first editor-in-chief after Stan Lee.

Apparently this isn't a new thing for Thomas. He was complaining about a couple characters DC wouldn't recognize for him back in 2019. He posted an open letter on CBR.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Creator-Rights
Spiderbite (04-06-24)
Old 04-11-24, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

The hazy way some characters were created invites this kind of debate. Nevermind that the initial creators may or may not have much to do with the modern character or their success.

e.g. Brubaker did not create Bucky, but Marvel's Winter Soldier is down to Brubaker. Alan Moore revived MiracleMan and rebuilt Swamp Thing, but created neither. Stan Lee wrote first appearances of dozens of characters that were probably entirely created by his artists.

Some writers are extremely thorough in formulating a new character - is it reasonable that whomever first draws the character is co-creator when they may 'just' follow a writer's instruction? In Wolverine's case, he was designed by one individual at the behest of another to be 'first' drawn by another and written by a fourth. Before becoming famous in a fifth's miniseries, while two more individuals are most associated with his defining run. And everyone thinks of Hugh Jackman before any of them..!

Sometimes the co-creators were assigned the task, sometimes it's all their idea. Sometimes the collaboration is equal, sometimes not. Etc.

Art directors and editors often have a great deal of input, but sometimes they get credit and usually not. Some co-creators came up with little more than a name and a vague idea; others flesh out an entire backstory and write a hundred issues of stories..
Old 04-12-24, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I have read some vintage interviews with Trimpe and Wein, and both lend some credence to Roy having enough input to warrant a co-creator credit.

It's just so hard to know for sure now, since memories are hazy, and most of those involved are gone. But those being vintage interviews (from the 80's and 90's) that certainly was closer to the time when Wolverine was created.
ntnon (04-16-24)
Old 04-12-24, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

The thing I still don't get is why he waited until now (when memories are hazy) instead of like the peak of wolverine popularity in the 90s?
Old 04-12-24, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The thing I still don't get is why he waited until now (when memories are hazy) instead of like the peak of wolverine popularity in the 90s?
Exactly.
Old 04-12-24, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because most of the other people who could dispute Roy's account are now dead. That seems like the easiest and simplest explanation. It's not like Wolverine's popularity came out of nowhere. He was Marvel's most popular character for about 2-3 decades until Disney bought them.
Old 04-13-24, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Because now at almost 84 years of age, he is close to death and time is of the essence. He wants to secure his legacy before he dies and possibly secure some financial security for any heirs he may have.

Last edited by movieguru; 04-13-24 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-13-24, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Maybe Thomas wants more for his signature at cons? Co-creator of Wolverine probably commands a lot more in autograph money than saying Marvel's first editor-in-chief after Stan Lee.

Apparently this isn't a new thing for Thomas. He was complaining about a couple characters DC wouldn't recognize for him back in 2019. He posted an open letter on CBR.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Creator-Rights
He's actually charging a fair bit for his signature at cons now. I believe he is at $20-$30 for an autograph now, maybe more for CGC items or anything Wolverine related. At the Big Apple Con last year, he had a limited edition (foil or holographic. I can't remember) art print of The Incredible Hulk #181 that he was selling for somewhere around $60, so he's already capitalizing on his connection to Wolverine without Marvel giving him any credit for creating him.
Old 04-16-24, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

It seems at least plausible that he didn't 'wait' until now - he and others have been mentioning this for decades - it's just that the current situation at Marvel/Disney is reappraising claims and credits to do better.

Marvel has a horrible track record (even by comics standards) of correctly and reasonably apportioning credit.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Because most of the other people who could dispute Roy's account are now dead. That seems like the easiest and simplest explanation. It's not like Wolverine's popularity came out of nowhere. He was Marvel's most popular character for about 2-3 decades until Disney bought them.
In a loose way, that could support the benign interpretation. i.e. If it were a question of chasing greed and fame, pushing for it decades ago would make sense... especially since several interviews with notThomas from times past do seem to support his contention.

Last edited by ntnon; 04-16-24 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting cover and description releasing in June of 2025 on the mag that Roy edits for Twomorrows...

July 2025 - 84 pages (FULL COLOR)

In Alter Ego #194, Rascally Roy Thomas celebrates 60 years in comics at Marvel, DC, et al.! There's a career-spanning, surprise-filled interview by Alex Grand, still more early-2000s Spider-Man comic strip e-mails to Roy from Stan Lee, the full secret history of the creation of Wolverine, RT’s 1960s fan-letters to Julius Schwartz, and his top dozen stories compiled by John Cimino! With amazing art by Buscema, Kane, Adams, Windsor-Smith, Colan, Ordway, Buckler, and many others! All this, plus FCA and Mr. Monster's Comic Crypt, behind a Roy the Boy and Wolverine cover by Tony Gray! Edited by Roy Thomas.
Alter Ego 194 [Ships June 18 2025] : TwoMorrows Publishing, The Future of Comics and LEGO™ Publications.