Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic grading?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Comic grading?

So I'm in the process of trying to rebuild my collection as I lost 90% of them in my divorce and the collecting bug is hitting me again. I see that graded books go by a good amount more on Ebay and even though I don't plan on selling I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the good ones graded? First appearance of Deadpool, Sinister, Apocalypse and a couple of others. It's like $24 per book to do but if I don't plan on selling them is that just throwing away money?

Your thoughts.
Old 08-19-22, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Comic grading?

It all depends on what you want to get for your collection. When I get expensive raw books, I usually get them graded (and signed if there's the possibility). My reasoning for this is because my insurance will give me the market value for that book in that grade if anything happens to it. Also, the capsules tend to protect books for the long haul and if I ever want to sell any of them for whatever reason, I could command a premium price for it. I'm also a reader, so I try to make sure that any book that I sent for grading either I have an extra copy or I can find to read digitally or through trades. This is easier with books from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Valiant, etc, but it's harder with indy books from publishing companies that have closed. For example, there are many Dave Stevens books like Planet Comics 1 that the only way to read them is through original copies.

There's more info on grading and the pros and cons in this thread

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...orum%5D-5.html
The following users liked this post:
rexinnih (08-22-22)
Old 08-19-22, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

CGC- Turning comic books into large, glossy trading cards since the year 2000.
Bronkster (08-19-22)
Old 08-20-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's a very personal question. Do you plan on leaving them to your children? I imagine CGC books are more sellable and easier for non-collectors to deal with when liquidating a collection.
Old 08-20-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
It all depends on what you want to get for your collection. When I get expensive raw books, I usually get them graded (and signed if there's the possibility). My reasoning for this is because my insurance will give me the market value for that book in that grade if anything happens to it. Also, the capsules tend to protect books for the long haul and if I ever want to sell any of them for whatever reason, I could command a premium price for it. I'm also a reader, so I try to make sure that any book that I sent for grading either I have an extra copy or I can find to read digitally or through trades. This is easier with books from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Valiant, etc, but it's harder with indy books from publishing companies that have closed. For example, there are many Dave Stevens books like Planet Comics 1 that the only way to read them is through original copies.

There's more info on grading and the pros and cons in this thread

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...orum%5D-5.html
ahhhh I thought I remember seeing a thread but I couldn’t find it.
Old 08-20-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a very personal question. Do you plan on leaving them to your children? I imagine CGC books are more sellable and easier for non-collectors to deal with when liquidating a collection.
No I definitely won’t be leaving them to my children but the prices those things are getting currently makes me think someday in a pinch it would make them easier to sell off.
Old 08-22-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a couple hundred graded books (99.9% CGC) so would recommend that your answer depends on what you plan to do with them.
Naysayers aside, CGC is the most respected and you will get more $$ for a graded book than a raw one. Take a look at Ebay for the last 3 graded and non-graded of a few of your keys to see the difference.
If your plan is to sell, then get them graded.
Now the downside, there is potentially a long waiting period if you get them pressed (get out those bends and wrinkles) and get them graded. Watch the tier to submit. You reference the $24 "Modern" tier but that has a $400 value threshold. Depending on your New Mutants 98 (1st Deadpool), you may be above that and will bump up the grading price.
As Red Hood mentioned, there are Signature Series events that have a nice package price for signature, grading and usually a good turn around time. I personally take advantage of these as much as I can.
Other downside is of course, you can't read them again.
Old 08-23-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In my experience, if it is possible, if they are making an appearance at any nearby conventions, bring the books there and have them look at them in person.

I did this a few years ago, and they suggested which comics were worth it and which ones were not to get graded (in retrospect, I should have listened to them regarding one book but I gambled on it due to potential MCU predictions).

But definitely heed the advice to check eBay prices, even if you aren't selling them it might make it worthwhile to figure out if the particular issue is worth bothering with or not.

I also imagine for insurance purposes the grading does help put a more solid number together.

PhantomStranger (08-24-22)