Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics
Old 03-28-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Choices so far by day

Frank Miller
Neil Gaiman, Jack Kirby
Moebius, Jacques Tardi
Carl Barks, Paul Pope
any Buscema, Hernandez, Kubert, or Romita
Alan Moore, Grant Morrison
Berkeley Breathed, Bill Watterson
Neal Adams, David Mazzuchelli
Art Adams, Mike Allred, John Byrne, Paul Chadwick, Geoff Darrow, Dave Gibbons, Mike Mignola, Walt Simonson
Gerry Conway, Paul Dini, Steve Gerber, Russ Heath, Denny O’Neil, Roy Thomas, Bruce Timm, Marv Wolfman
Darwyn Cooke, George Perez
Warren Ellis, Jeff Lemire
Brian Azzarello, Brian Michael Bendis, Brian Bolland, Brian K Vaughan, Bryan Talbot
Alan Brennert, Milton Caniff, Alan Davis, Al Gordon, Alan Grant, Alan Kupperberg, Charles Schulz
Ross Andru, Steve Ditko, Gil Kane, Todd McFarlane
Ed Brubaker, Jack Davis, Garth Ennis, Frank Frazetta
Chris Claremont, Richard Corben, Keith Giffen, Brandon Graham, Geoff Johns, Dave McKean, Dave Stevens, Al Williamson
Bill Sienkiewicz, Wally Wood, Bernie Wrightson
Daniel Clowes, Katsuhiro Otomo, Gary Panter, Chris Ware
Simon Bisley, Jonathan Hickman, Stan Lee, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Rick Remender, Matt Wagner
Hal Foster, George Herriman, Walt Kelly, Gary Larson, Alex Raymond
Kurt Busiek, Matt Kindt, David Latham, Bob Layton, Jim Lee, Jimmy Palmiotti, Joe Quesada, Jim Shooter, Tim Truman, Mark Waid, Barry Windsor-Smith
Print Wikipost

Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Play a game with me, who are your top comic creators?

John Byrne? For his Marvel Team Up and Iron Fist work alone he would be in consideration. A lot of people forget how good he was at drawing Spider-Man in the 70's. (He even had a two parter on ASM that he penciled.) Then he worked on some obscure comic called X-something... DUH!!! Of course he's on the list!

Walt Simonson? Hell, no. I've never liked his art style. At all. Can't stand it. (Although the work he did on the X-Men/New Teen Titans crossover looked good thanks to inker Terry Austin.) I did keep buying FF into the run he had there, but I wasn't a huge fan of the writing that he did. I've never read his Thor work, and I don't think I will since I dislike the art so much.

The others? I'm either not very familiar with them or their work just didn't move my needle either way very much.

My list so far (with the right to edit it later reserved)...

John Romita SR
John Buscema
John Byrne
John Romita Jr

(Hmmmmm... I'm sensing a pattern here.)
Neal Adams
Sal Buscema
(Pattern broken. )
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 870 Likes on 731 Posts

Byrne is an easy call for me. He left his mark on so many popular characters that he may actually be my number two. I like the others mentioned like Art Adams but they don't make my list.
Old 04-05-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean, gotta save at least one spot for Perez, right?
It's when the inkers (Terry Austin fan for obvious reasons) and letterers get folded into the mix that things will get dicey. I really don't know if I should be participating anyway, since I did the majority of my reading in the early '80s!
Old 04-05-22, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
It's when the inkers (Terry Austin fan for obvious reasons) and letterers get folded into the mix that things will get dicey. I really don't know if I should be participating anyway, since I did the majority of my reading in the early '80s!
Austin was awesome and was a big part of Byrne's work, but man I'm not sure I have room for inkers (who aren't also pencillers) and letterers.
Kurt D (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,070 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Tom Orzechowski’s distinctive square lettering makes him a dark-horse contender!
The following 2 users liked this post by davidh777:
John Pannozzi (04-06-22), Kurt D (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 07:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Rimshot

Originally Posted by davidh777
Tom Orzechowski’s distinctive square lettering makes him a dark-horse contender!
He never worked for Dark Horse.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
John Pannozzi (04-06-22), Kurt D (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rimshot

Originally Posted by Trevor
He never worked for Dark Horse.
Ouch. That's a joke so bad my dad might have said it. If he knew anything about modern comic books.

He's 79...
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-05-22, 08:02 PM

But seriously, Tom Orzechowski should have also been paid half the artist’s salary on all the Claremont books he lettered. Damn words took up all the space….
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-05-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

If any letterers end up on the list, Chris Eliopoulos is my favorite (and he's a really fun artist, too). And it's hard to imagine Sandman without Todd Klein's distinctive lettering.
Old 04-05-22, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I’ll include Adams on my list, but if Trevor picks Jim Aparo later, it’ll be difficult to keep two guys primarily for their Batman art.

Byrne is easy for me, for X-Men and FF. Other things like Star-Lord and MTU are just gravy.

I like Simonson, but again like rocket, I’ve only read part of his Thor run. I don’t even know some of the other Legends names.

My list:
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Carl Barks
Joe Kubert
Alan Moore
Neal Adams
John Byrne

Yikes, already up to seven.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 03:28 AM

Day Nine Response and Wrap—Up

Concrete is on my top ten titles list, but not enough output from Chadwick to make my creator list.

John Byrne might make it if I ever read and love his Marvel stuff. I loved his Superman, and some of his independent stuff, heck, I even kinda like his current Star Trek fumetti.

Mignola a big old yes for me. Love Hellboy, and all of his art.

Art Adams, Gibbons, and Darrow would probably all be in if it was for art only.

Simonson is maybe top 20, especially if I ever finish reading his Thor run.

Allred is close, and (broken record time) could be higher if I ever finish reading all the stuff of his on my “loved the first issue/story so bought it all and still waiting to finish it” list.

My list so far:
Frank Miller
Jack Kirby
Carl Barks
Alan Moore
Mike Mignola
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 03:32 AM

Day Ten Choices
Some always have G.I. Joe on their minds, maybe especially the animated series.

Today I’m asking if any of these writers or artists who worked even a day on the OG cartoon are on your top 10 list: Steve Gerber, Russ Heath, Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Gerry Conway, Denny O’Neil, Roy Thomas, or Marv Wolfman.

Didn’t know they worked on it? Well now you do!
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of enticing names but I'd say no to the top 10.

Timm and Dini may make an overall superhero media list or something but even though Mad Love deserved it's Eisner and they created the most popular bat-character since Robin, I don't think they're quite prolific enough for me to make it.

This is just showing my age but there are too many not on the list for me at this point to consider Gerber, Heath, Conway, O'Neil, or Thomas despite their individual status as legends in comics. Wolfman as well, as a writer-only I especially love NTT and Crisis, but I wouldn't put him over, say, his collaborator George Perez.

Thinking it over my three favorite comics in the mid 80s were NTT, Legion of Superheroes, and Uncanny X-men. Conway (Legion) and Wolfman (NTT) are both here and don't make the list, and I kind of have doubts that Levitz/Giffen/Lightle (Legion) or even Claremont will make my top 10. But part of the problem is that I've been reading comics for so long and my interests are not limited to superheroes, if I had stopped reading in say the early 90s I'd think Giffen and Claremont easily make it. We'll see.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Steve Gerber - nope

Russ Heath -- love me some vintage Magnus but nope

Bruce Timm -- outstanding animation work, but not exceptional in comics

Paul Dini -- see Bruce Timm. Legend in animation, no question.

Gerry Conway -- Marvel legend, wrote some fine comics back in the day, but not Top 10

Denny O'Neil -- DC Legend, everything notably awesome about Batman in the last 50 years can be in some way attributable to him. Plus GA/GL. Yes for now, but I fear he might be early on the chopping list.

Marv Wolfman -- New Teen Titans was the seminal book of my youth. Plus the unbelievably epic Crisis on Infinite Earths. And characters created like Nightwing, Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, Vigilante, Deathstroke, Tim Drake. His later work was... not as epic. But for now, I'll allow it. He'll fall off before Denny though.

So for now (in alphabetical order):

Neil Adams
John Byrne

Neil Gaiman
Jack Kirby

Frank Miller
Alan Moore
Grant Morrison

Denny O'Neil
Walt Simonson
Marv Wolfman

We're now a full ten creators. It's slashing time...
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,076 Likes on 750 Posts

For my money Batman: The Animated series is the greatest comic book adaptation of all time. Justice League Unlimited isn't far behind. When thinking about who might make the list, I thought about Timm and Dini, but I just can't make a good argument based on their print comic work. So a begrudging no.

The rest are all a no as well. If I'm going to add writers to my list, there are others that would go in before these guys. I've enjoyed stuff from all of them, but nothing that's on the tippy top of my list.

As an aside, for reasons I can't remember I watched a bunch of GI Joe cartoons last year for the first time since I was a kid, and I have to say I was impressed. A lot of it is crap, but the episodes that are good, are really good. I guess this roster of talent had a little bit to do with that.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Gerber is someone who catches my eye if he's credited with a 70s book. Howard the Duck, Omega the Unknown and his Defenders are great. But I don't think he's top 10.

Bruce Timm is an artist whose work I will always seek out. I believe I have every comic where he is the main artist, and I have several of his art books. I'm also drawn to artists who have a similar style to his (Darwyn Cooke). So he's in my top 10, despite his fairly small body of comic book work.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:02 AM

I’ll be out of town the next few days, but should be able to make the daily posts. Apologies in advance if the schedule gets a bit off.

Speaking of thread mechanics/maintenance issues, the inspiration for this thread is on day 23 or so and still going strong. The picks are getting a bit more ‘indy’, but still some heavy hitters most days. That group is probably way more geared to the esoteric and random than this group. I’m sensing a lot of ‘never even heard of thems’ in our future.

I don’t want to wear out the welcome of this topic. I guess I should not get ahead of ourselves and just see how things play out. The original place is about 10 days ahead of us here. But any thoughts on a maximum length of this thing? I was thinking of maybe combining some days/creators to speed it up a bit if people think we’re wearing out. Also, I have no idea where the original guy plans to go with this thing, perhaps we have interesting twists in store.
Old 04-06-22, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WHOA I forgot Roy Thomas. Absolutely LOVE Roy Thomas's work. Avengers and Conan over at Marvel, but his wealth of WWII/Earth-2 DC work was my personal favorite: All-Star Squadron, JSA, Young All-Stars, and of course JLA/JSA crossovers. Amazing work. But he's just squeezed out of my Top 10 by Marv Wolfman, but only barely.
Old 04-06-22, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
John Byrne might make it if I ever read and love his Marvel stuff.
Not quite sure about your verb usage, but are you saying you haven’t read Byrne’s X-Men and FF? I know you like to save the best for last, but that seems extreme.
Old 04-06-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Gerber - I love some of his work, but not enough to rank him higher than, say, 25.
Russ Heath, Bruce Timm, Paul Dini - No, No, No.
Denny O’Neil, Roy Thomas - Both RIDICULOUSLY close. Top 15.

Gerry Conway - Yes. I love his work. He (and then Len Wein) wrote the Amazing Spider-Man during what I believe to be it's best era. His run on Spectacular Spider-Man a decade later was almost as good. I'm not as familiar with his work at DC, but he wrote Batman and Justice League as well.

Marv Wolfman - Yes. His work on The New Teen Titans was phenomenal. But don't forget his great work on Deathstroke and The Vigilante. That was fantastic stuff. And then there's his run on The Fantastic Four, which features some of my all time favorite issues (the Skrulls/Galactus/Sphinx storyline in one long continuous story, and the Dr. Doom/Son/Clone story from 198-200). Oh, yeah - he also wrote and co-created NOVA. I love that title from the 70's!

My list so far (with the right to edit it later reserved)...

John Romita SR
John Buscema
John Byrne
John Romita Jr

Neal Adams
Sal Buscema
Gerry Conway
Marv Wolfman

Yeah, someone's gotta get the axe later. I know I'm adding George Perez when he comes up, Stan Lee, of course, and then Len Wein is in strong contention. And Joe Sinnott makes my list if he's a candidate. And Gil Kane? Wow.

Last edited by B5Erik; 04-07-22 at 03:40 AM.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 870 Likes on 731 Posts

Timm hasn't done enough in the print medium to make my list but he may be the most influential superhero artist of the modern era thanks to his animation work. I suspect his designs may be more familiar to kids today than how many of us here conceive the DC characters in our minds.
John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Timm hasn't done enough in the print medium to make my list but he may be the most influential superhero artist of the modern era thanks to his animation work. I suspect his designs may be more familiar to kids today than how many of us here conceive the DC characters in our minds.
True. But in a similar vein I wonder how people will respond when someone like Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez comes up. He did a lot of stuff in comics too but his designs basically defined a generation of DC licensed goods as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
IBJoel (04-06-22), majorjoe23 (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
True. But in a similar vein I wonder how people will respond when someone like Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez comes up. He did a lot of stuff in comics too but his designs basically defined a generation of DC licensed goods as well.
JLGL's styles and designs were the living blueprint of the Bronze Age of DC (especially if you were a DC RPG gamer in the 80s), but I can't think of an iconic comics run. Maybe Atari Force...?

Oh hey why not

The following 4 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
IBJoel (04-06-22), John Pannozzi (04-06-22), majorjoe23 (04-06-22), PhantomStranger (04-07-22)
Old 04-06-22, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1,104 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
JLGL's styles and designs were the living blueprint of the Bronze Age of DC (especially if you were a DC RPG gamer in the 80s), but I can't think of an iconic comics run. Maybe Atari Force...?

Oh hey why not
He did Batman: Venom. Love his work. I'm likely not alone in viewing him as THE DC Comics artist

Trevor:
Paul Dini 100%. He wrote my favorite comic of all time.
Also yes to Denny O'Neil (see: Batman: Venom, above).

No to the rest
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Hokeyboy (04-06-22), John Pannozzi (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Not quite sure about your verb usage, but are you saying you haven’t read Byrne’s X-Men and FF? I know you like to save the best for last, but that seems extreme.
I’ve always been a way bigger DC guy than Marvel, and never an X-Men mark. Of course, that doesn’t stop me from owning most classic Marvel on Comixology, $2 collections are hard to pass up. And both runs are definitely in my reading queue.
majorjoe23 (04-06-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.