Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics - 2022 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 03:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics - 2022 Thread

Best thing I’ve read this week has been the first Eternals trade. They were pretty much a complete decades long blind spot to me, but the love for the recent run got me to use one of my Hoopla borrows on it. I've usually enjoyed Kiernon Gillen’s work, and this is somehow my first real exposure to Ribic’s wonderful art.

Wow, not sure if this is a complete ret-con or what of the Eternals, but the story engaged me from the start and that revelation in issue six dropped my jaw.
Old 03-22-22, 05:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Marvel's 2022 digital plans:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...digital-plans/

Lots of titles:

Doctor Strange, Ironheart, Vision, Captain America: Steve Rogers, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Nick Fury Jr, Mystique, Rocket Raccoon, Ms America Chavez, Captain Marvel, Brute Force, Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Iceman, Falcon, Wolverine: Laura Kinney, Jeff The Land Shark, Black Panther, Odie, Shuri, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Moon Knight, She-Hulk. Howard The Duck, The Watcher, the Silver Surfer and the Scarlet Witch.
Old 04-21-22, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Old 05-31-22, 11:36 AM
Banned

Joe Quesada just announced on Facebook that he’s leaving Marvel

Old 05-31-22, 11:44 AM
Banned

Old 05-31-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I know it's mean but all I can think of is "can we finally reverse One More Day for real?"
Old 05-31-22, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know it's mean but all I can think of is "can we finally reverse One More Day for real?"
Same, fuck Joey Q. Glad he is finally gone.
Old 05-31-22, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I doubt it under Disney. I think if you privately ask DC, they'd like an unmarried Superman as well but know a sizable portion of the fan base would revolt.
Old 05-31-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I doubt it under Disney. I think if you privately ask DC, they'd like an unmarried Superman as well but know a sizable portion of the fan base would revolt.
I mean they had an unmarried Superman, one who even dated Wonder Woman for a while, and they basically blinked him out of existence. And isn't Batman getting married or did they swerve people again?
Old 06-01-22, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I love how they're still under the impression that kids are reading comic books. It's old married people that are left reading, not really identifying with single Peter Parker.
Old 06-01-22, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
I love how they're still under the impression that kids are reading comic books. It's old married people that are left reading, not really identifying with single Peter Parker.
The crazy thing to me is that when One More Day came out, there was ALREADY a very popular version of Peter Parker who was still a kid in the Ultimate Universe. And if kids don't want a married Peter Parker (which I still don't understand) and don't like Miles for whatever reason (despite the overwhelming popularity of his movie), why do they want to read about adult Peter Parker's dating life?

It was never for the kids, it's for the adults that grew up with a non married Peter Parker and don't like change; same for stuff like Barry Allen coming back to replace Wally.
Old 06-01-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The crazy thing to me is that when One More Day came out, there was ALREADY a very popular version of Peter Parker who was still a kid in the Ultimate Universe. And if kids don't want a married Peter Parker (which I still don't understand) and don't like Miles for whatever reason (despite the overwhelming popularity of his movie), why do they want to read about adult Peter Parker's dating life?

It was never for the kids, it's for the adults that grew up with a non married Peter Parker and don't like change; same for stuff like Barry Allen coming back to replace Wally.
Don't even get me started on Barry vs Wally. I wasn't even a DC fan but Wally West was Flash. To me Barry was always the "old Flash"., sort of like Allen Scott. It was what DC did right, moved past the legacy characters.
Old 06-13-22, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

King in Black Omni showing up on Target with a release of October. Hoping to find a better discount since it's listed as $150 retail.
Old 10-13-22, 06:26 PM
Banned

Looking forward to these covers

The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-18-22)
Old 01-09-23, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Marvel just announced more Disney covers for the 100th celebration

Old 01-09-23, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The weird thing is, Marvel doesn't even publish Disney comics, they licensed it elsewhere, right?
Old 01-09-23, 05:30 PM
Banned

The weird thing is, Marvel doesn't even publish Disney comics, they licensed it elsewhere, right?
Right. They have licensed to Boom, Dark Horse, IDW, Tokyopop, Joe Books and Dynamite over the last 10 years.
Old 02-22-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see all the reactions to the latest issue of Spider-man, and I have to wonder... does everyone in editorial really just hate the Peter/MJ relationship or do they just love trolling the fans? It just all seems unnecessary, like taking the blueprint from Superman Returns and then running with it as if that wasn't the worst part of the movie.
Old 02-22-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 351 Posts

I see all the reactions to the latest issue of Spider-man, and I have to wonder... does everyone in editorial really just hate the Peter/MJ relationship or do they just love trolling the fans? It just all seems unnecessary, like taking the blueprint from Superman Returns and then running with it as if that wasn't the worst part of the movie.
I saw something recently that this would be the most shocking revelation (or whatever) in the past 50 years of Spider-Man!!!1!! But I gave up on Spidey years ago. Although I'm curious as to what this shocking revelation might be. Could you spoilerize it? Pleeease?
Old 02-22-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think this issue was the shocking revelation (at least I hope not). From what I understand MJ asked Peter to move in with her, then there was some kind of time skip, Spider-man did something bad that we don't know yet (shades of that horrid Cyclops is mutant hitler storyline) and...

Spoiler:
MJ is living with someone and that dude has kids or something. And then this:

But I'm not actually spending four or five bucks or whatever a month to read this so maybe someone who is can give a better synopsis.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-22-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

"One More Day" pretty much ended my decades-long fandom of Marvel Comics and I've heard nothing since justifying my return. What has it been now, fifteen years? They ruined Spider-Man, which is why they now have dozens of spider people running around. I guess I will always have the Silver and Bronze age comics.
Old 02-23-23, 08:26 AM
Banned

Dan Slott mentioned recently that keeping Peter and MJ apart is an strict editorial mandate from the top that he had to work with. Quesada (brains behind One More Day) isn't in the company anymore, so this is coming strictly from either Perlmutter or Kevin Feige. Spider-Man sales have been up and down (mostly down) since Civil War and One More Day. The best stories of Peter in the 616 universe over that time has been the Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse storylines. Everything else that has been good about Spidey has taken place outside the 616 universe (Miles, Renew Your Vows, New Avengers, Spider-Man and the X-Men). Until the editorial mandate changes, stories like the one that just came out are going to continue. The mentality is that when they finally reunite Peter and MJ, it will be this glorious big event. My question is, will anyone care by that point? How many readers would Marvel have lost by then? It's been almost 20 years since Civil War, and Spider-Man/MJ fans have been jerked around enough. If the company's plan is to reunite Peter and MJ in 2027 (20 years after One More Day and around the time the MCU will probably reunite them too), then they have a long way to go trying not to piss off Spider-Man fans even more.
Old 02-23-23, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem is that right before this they basically almost had them together. I would be fine if they wanted to keep Peter single, but they tease and tease and tease and at some point (long ago) it just feels like trolling.
Old 04-19-23, 03:43 PM
Banned

I’m one that goes with an open mind to every book I read but I simply don’t understand why Marvel is doing this to the main Spider-Man. Besides Spider-Man joining the New Avengers, the Spider-Verse storyline, his improved relationship with Venom and Doc Ock taking over during the Superior Spider-Man story, I have hated with a passion everything else done with the character over the past 20 years. Almost everything from the stupid Civil War identity reveal to One More Day to Brand New Day to whatever the hell they are doing now is not only awful but it’s making people hate the book. In addition, the artwork has been simply atrocious. Liefeld gets a lot of flack about his drawing skills but JRJR has regressed to the point he shouldn’t be doing any mainstream book unless he has a great inker and an editor to hold back his worst impulses. Apparently, the current storyline is building up for everyone to hate the writers and the book, which makes me wonder if they know they are in the business to sell books. DC pulled a stunt like this in 2019 with the whole Batman/Catwoman wedding and it backfired so bad that the main Batman boom still hasn’t recovered sales wise.

Old 04-19-23, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They must have a bet going to see how far they can troll Spider-man fans to finally get them to stop collecting. Hasn't worked yet, people value their continuous runs and love Spider-man too much to stop reading (I guess).

The ridiculous part is that this is a drip feed of info that everyone already knows because this is set in the past, and we're still trying to get how Spider-man became hated.

The other ridiculous part is that I swear the reason given for wanting Spider-man to be single is to have him be more relatable to the audience, and yet try to read a synopsis of this story and see how relatable it is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.