Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Flash

Old 05-10-21, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts
The Flash

So let's talk about The Flash.

Back in the early 80's, when DC was reintroducing Firestorm as a backup for a few issues of The Flash, I picked up those issues (specifically FOR Firestorm). I found that I also liked The Flash, but when Firestorm got his second run with his own title I stopped buying The Flash. (Well, I was also not a big DC buyer - I was a Marvel guy - so continuing with The Flash wasn't a priority.)

Fast forward 40 years and I'm getting into stuff that I've passed on the first time around. Green Lantern, Batman, Deathstroke, Booster Gold, Superman, etc. Next up - The Flash.

I've bought a few random titles. The Flashpoint series in the individual trades, 3 of the Eaglemoss UK Flash collections, and, just last week, Savage Velocity, the trade covering Wally West's first run as THE Flash. I'm only a couple issues in to that one, and I'm fairly impressed. I also picked up the Rebirth trade as well to support a local shop.

So the question becomes, where do I go from here? What are some of the better Flash trades/compilations, and why would you recommend them?

Important note, I prefer more of a classic art style (based on the late 60's and 70's styles).

I have seen a bit of a fragmentation of Flash fans - some prefer Barry Allen, some prefer Wally West. Barry Allen was the Flash when I was a kid and a teenager, so I lean that way myself, but I do like what I've read of Wally West as the Flash, too.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-10-21 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,018 Likes on 717 Posts
Re: The Flash

Generally speaking I'm not a DC guy, but I love the 1987 Wally West Flash series. Mark Waid and Geoff Johns are the two most notable writers on that series. A lot of the artwork is very 90's, but from what I've read, it's the best the Flash has ever been. The Johns/Scott Kolins run is my favorite. When Barry came back about 13-14 years ago, it was never the same.
Old 05-10-21, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Next month DC will be releasing the Death of Iris West which reprints Flash 270-284 which was a major story at that time. DC has also released Flash: the Silver Age stories in four different omnibus. There is also a Flash the silver age trade paperback that reprints his showcase appearances and also Flash 105-113 (if you want something other than an omnibus).
The following 2 users liked this post by dlibby:
John Pannozzi (05-14-21), PhantomStranger (05-11-21)
Old 05-10-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dlibby
Next month DC will be releasing the Death of Iris West which reprints Flash 270-284 which was a major story at that time. DC has also released Flash: the Silver Age stories in four different omnibus. There is also a Flash the silver age trade paperback that reprints his showcase appearances and also Flash 105-113 (if you want something other than an omnibus).
Sounds cool! I will definitely pick that up.

I hope they reprint the era where those Firestorm backup stories came from. The Flash stories that I read were good.
Old 05-11-21, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,054 Likes on 868 Posts

I’m most familiar with Carmine Infantino-era Barry Allen, but I thought the volume of Geoff Johns I read was pretty good. I bought a bunch of Mark Waid on sale but haven’t gotten to it.
Old 05-11-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

I prefer Barry Allen myself but some of the best Flash comics in the modern era were by Mark Waid and Geoff Johns. Waid's run has been collected in trade paperbacks. Three large omnibuses collect Johns' Flash run, which is probably the best starting point today if you've never read many Flash comics.
Old 05-11-21, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,054 Likes on 868 Posts

Some of the Barry Allen stories were kinda goofy, but I always liked his rogues gallery.
Old 05-12-21, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I prefer Barry Allen myself but some of the best Flash comics in the modern era were by Mark Waid and Geoff Johns. Waid's run has been collected in trade paperbacks. Three large omnibuses collect Johns' Flash run, which is probably the best starting point today if you've never read many Flash comics.
I just bought the first two trade paperbacks from the Johns era on ebay today. Got a pretty good deal.

If I like them I'll keep going with the trades (or, if I can find a good deal, I'll get the omnibi).
Old 05-12-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,018 Likes on 717 Posts

Just to follow up on my earlier post, if you want to sample the Mark Waid run, "The Return of Barry Allen" is one of best DC stories of the 90's. It's also the story that more or less cemented Wally as the Flash. It looks like the tpb is out of print, but the story is featured in the Flash by Mark Waid book 2.

Also, I mentioned I'm a big fan of the Johns/Kolins collaboration. Here are some pics of the original art I own from this run. This has nothing to do with the actual story content, but I figured I'd share since it seems relevant.

Flash 170 title page:
Spoiler:

Flash 180 title page
Spoiler:

Flash 184 DPS:
Spoiler:

Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge 1 splash:
Spoiler:

Flash vs. Zoom private commission:
Spoiler:

Johns/Kolins omnibus remarque:
Spoiler:

The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
PhantomStranger (05-13-21), will travel (05-13-21)
Old 05-12-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just to follow up on my earlier post, if you want to sample the Mark Waid run, "The Return of Barry Allen" is one of best DC stories of the 90's. It's also the story that more or less cemented Wally as the Flash. It looks like the tpb is out of print, but the story is featured in the Flash by Mark Waid book 2.
I guess it's also here...

Which is a book that I do have. I've got three of those Eaglemoss Flash collections.
Old 05-12-21, 09:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Mark Waid run on The Flash.
Old 05-13-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

I was hooked by The Return of Barry Allen and really enjoyed the whole Mark Waid run after that. When he left the title, I thought Id drop it because nothing could possibly measure up to his multi-year run.

But the next issue began a compelling Wonderland story arc by some guy named Geoff Johns. He continued building on that, month after month. It was a different take from Waid but very detailed, intricate, and compelling.

Flash fans were spoiled by those two multi-year long runs over more than a decade. I dont think theyve been surpassed, in aggregate, since then, even subsequent stints by both Waid and Johns. They both introduced things that are foundational for the modern-day Flash mythos. Waid solidified the Flash family and introduced the Speed Force and Impulse. Johns modernized and expanded the Rogues Gallery.

One of my favorite memories is when I met both Waid and Johns on the same day at San Diego Comic-con. I had them each sign the first issue of their Flash run that Id bought. I complimented Waid on his run, and he said it was some of his favorite and most personal work.
Old 05-14-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered this one on ebay for $14, shipped...

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-14-21 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-14-21)