Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Batman '89 and Superman '78 getting comic book series continuing their stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Batman '89 and Superman '78 getting comic book series continuing their stories

OMG wat:
But Warner Bros. did nix some of his more sweeping notions for Justice League, like adding a romance between Ben Affleck’s Bruce Wayne and Amy Adams’s Lois Lane, who was mourning Superman’s death in the previous film. “The intention was that Bruce fell in love with Lois and then realized that the only way to save the world was to bring Superman back to life,” says Snyder. “So he had this insane conflict, because Lois, of course, was still in love with Superman. We had this beautiful speech where [Bruce] said to Alfred: ‘I never had a life outside the cave. I never imagined a world for me beyond this. But this woman makes me think that if I can get this group of gods together, then my job is done. I can quit. I can stop.’ And of course that doesn’t work out for him.”

It didn’t work out for Snyder either. The studio said no.
Oh the pathos.

Please tell me he put this back in the 4:3 version so I can skip it. Wow. A beautiful speech huh? I can't even...

apologies for the threadcrap, this is like a new revelation to me.
Old 02-25-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Batman '89 and Superman '78 getting comic book series continuing their stories

I haven’t had interest in reading a comic series in over a decade or more.

This has my interest.

I still can’t believe Batman was over 30 years ago now.
Old 02-27-21, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Supposedly there is some nudity in the Snyder cut - superheroes will be in various states of undress. Doubt it would be Wonder Woman, more likely a couple male backsides.
Old 02-27-21, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Supposedly there is some nudity in the Snyder cut - superheroes will be in various states of undress. Doubt it would be Wonder Woman, more likely a couple male backsides.
If true, this just further illustrates why Snyder doesn't know how to make a comic book movie. Particularly a DC Comics movie.
Old 03-02-21, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
If true, this just further illustrates why Snyder doesn't know how to make a comic book movie. Particularly a DC Comics movie.
Yeah, everyone knows if you're going to have buttcheeks, they need to be Dick Grayson's.
Old 03-02-21, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Will the Batman '89 series also include Forever and B&R? They're not Burton and they have different actors for Batman, but they were always intended to be part of the same series, iirc.
I guess they haven't really said, but in the original comic pitch, Two-Face was going to be based on Billy Dee Williams and Poison Ivy definitely looked closer to B:TAS than Uma Thurman. I wouldn't be surprised if they take certain elements from the Schumacher films, but it seems like they'll just do their own thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21), milo bloom (03-02-21)
Old 03-07-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

All signs point to the Batman comic being set in Tim Burton's Gotham City so I'd say it won't reference Batman Forever or Batman and Robin. Amazon now has listing and release dates for the Hardcover books.

Batman '89-October 26th
Amazon Amazon

Superman '78-November 9th
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-12-21)
Old 03-07-21, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

speaking of the old 1989-1990s Tim Burton and per Schumaker Batman days, wasnt there supposed to be Joker's girlfriend Alicia/Harley and Scarecrow for Batman 3 back then?

i hope the new 1989 Batman comic will involve those instead of focusing too much on the black Robin that was supposed to be played by one of those Marlan brothers.

also original Superman III back then was supposed to have Brainiac instead of the Brainy/super computer.

also didnt Christopher Reeve or whoever have an original story idea for Superman IV and V before his horse riding accident?
Old 03-07-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure Harley Quinn didn't come along until Batman The Animated Series.
Old 03-07-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I believe Burton’s third Batman film was intended to have Selina Kyle/Catwoman back, and would have also brought back Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent. Eventually Dent would have become Two-Face.
Old 03-07-21, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yes I know that. I said either Alicia or Harley. I grew up with old school movie news from Wizard Magazine back then in the early mid 1990s.

Batman 3 was supposed to have Scarecrow and Joker's old "girlfriend" played by Madonna as Alicia the blonde gal as Grissam's gal from the first Burton Batman movie, or at least something similar to Harley Quinn.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I'm pretty sure Harley Quinn didn't come along until Batman The Animated Series.
Old 03-07-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There was talk of Batman V having Scarecrow and Harley Quinn, and possibly Nicholson back as a fear gas-induced Joker cameo.
IBJoel (03-12-21)
Old 03-07-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Scarecrow was set to be in one of the many abandoned scripts for the fifth Batman film. Obviously we didn’t get a fifth film, and instead were given Batman Begins to reboot the character.
IBJoel (03-12-21)
Old 03-14-21, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I understand that at one point they had Marlon Wayans as Robin to the point that the action figure that came out at the time had a the flattop that Wayans was going to be sporting as the character. It was rumored that WB was supposed to be approaching Robin Williams to play the Riddler. Harley Quinn first appeared around 1994 but she wasn't rumored to be on the Burton film. On the other hand, people thought that Drew Barrymore was going to be Harley when she was cast in Batman Forever. Instead, she just had that small role as Sugar.

Old 03-14-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. That actually does make sense.
Old 03-15-21, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I understand that at one point they had Marlon Wayans as Robin to the point that the action figure that came out at the time had a the flattop that Wayans was going to be sporting as the character. It was rumored that WB was supposed to be approaching Robin Williams to play the Riddler. Harley Quinn first appeared around 1994 but she wasn't rumored to be on the Burton film. On the other hand, people thought that Drew Barrymore was going to be Harley when she was cast in Batman Forever. Instead, she just had that small role as Sugar.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Interesting. That actually does make sense.
The original article has been taken down, but I interviewed the Wayans Brothers once and Marlon had this to say: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/marl...-robin.103248/

He was super cool, by the way. Not exactly a dude I'd want to hang out with, but super personable.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
majorjoe23 (03-15-21), Red Hood (03-15-21)
Old 03-20-21, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I remember that Marlon Wayans rumor about playing Robin back before the internet.

The Robin Williams Riddler and Drew Barrymore Harley are new to me. (Though she would have made a great Harley Quinn.)

I kind of remember hearing that Warner Bros. was floating Robin Williams' name out for The Joker in the first Batman film, but they were doing it to get Jack Nicholson to sign on and didn't want Williams in the role.
IBJoel (03-22-21)
Old 03-20-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely knew about Robin Williams being used as bait to get Jack Nicholson to play The Joker. I’ve heard rumblings that he was looked at or considered for The Riddler as well. I feel like he would have been better as The Riddler personally.

I don’t recall hearing about Harley Quinn being in a movie that early on.
Old 03-20-21, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember that Marlon Wayans rumor about playing Robin back before the internet.

The Robin Williams Riddler and Drew Barrymore Harley are new to me. (Though she would have made a great Harley Quinn.)

I kind of remember hearing that Warner Bros. was floating Robin Williams' name out for The Joker in the first Batman film, but they were doing it to get Jack Nicholson to sign on and didn't want Williams in the role.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Definitely knew about Robin Williams being used as bait to get Jack Nicholson to play The Joker. I’ve heard rumblings that he was looked at or considered for The Riddler as well. I feel like he would have been better as The Riddler personally.

I don’t recall hearing about Harley Quinn being in a movie that early on.
SYFY did an article about all these rumors a while back.

Robin Williams is a capital "N" Nerd. He loves videogames, he loves anime, and he loves comic books. His favorite spot in New York City is the comic shop I used to work in, Forbidden Planet. Seriously. Look it up. One of the biggest and most exciting cities on the planet, and he's asking me if he can go upstairs and look at manga statues. Epic nerd, this man is. And an absolute delight.

And he loves Batman! So, you'd think, since Robin Williams is one of the biggest stars of the last 40 years or so, he'd have no problem being in a Batman movie at least once. But it's never happened, and it ain't for a lack of trying.

So let's run down his many attempts to be in a Batman movie (that we know of).
  • In 1989, Tim Burton wants Jack Nicholson for the Joker in his Batman movie, but Jack's not sure about it. Who does Burton looks toward? Robin Williams, who would be a great Joker. But you know what happens when a girl starts courting another fella, don't you? The original dude gets jealous. And, lo and behold, no sooner did Williams' name appear than BOOM, suddenly Nicholson is on board. Sorry, Robin.
  • In 1995, after years of Williams refusing to do Warner Bros. movies because of the Joker snub, suddenly it's looking like Robin might be the Riddler in Batman Forever. Until, that is, both Tim Burton and Michael Keaton walk. Enter THE DEVIL Joel Schumacher, who, sadly, already has a Riddler -- Jim Carrey.
  • Big leap forward to 2008, and director Chris Nolan is bringing Joker to his take on the Batman mythos. You know Robin Williams wants a piece of that. In fact, he even publicly stated as much, saying, "Well, you want to do a different Joker. You know, if they do Arkham Asylum, it would be amazing. Arkham Asylum is one of the greatest, nastiest comic books ever. It’s truly, it’s like the Marquis de Sade on that level, and wonderfully damaged and quite tragic, in terms of when you realize [what happened to] create these characters." But, as we know, Nolan had a different plan in mind for The Dark Knight and, along with it, a desire to work with Heath Ledger.
  • By 2012, Williams would have said yes to anything Nolan wanted in The Dark Knight Rises, even going so far as to say, "Chris, call me, I’ll do anything. I could be a great character — or some weird little man in the background in Arkham Asylum." We're gonna call Williams' exclusion from that movie a bullet dodged.
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/little...tman-directors
Old 03-20-21, 12:31 PM
Banned

The Harley rumor for the 3rd Batman was more speculation than actual rumor per se. It spiraled out of Drew Barrymore being cast in the film for an unnamed part, which turned out to be Sugar.
Old 06-22-21, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first look at Harvey Dent/Two Face.
https://geektyrant.com/news/batman-8...on-of-two-face.
Old 06-22-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

^I really dislike Tim Burton's Batman movies but that is cool.
Old 06-22-21, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm still bummed that we never got a third Tim Burton/Michael Keaton Batman movie with Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. And I would have been fine with either Robin Williams or Jim Carrey as the Riddler in that alternate-universe Batman Forever.
Old 06-22-21, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

^ It's not much but Billy Dee Williams finally got to play Two-Face in the Lego Batman Movie. Thought it was cool that the filmmakers used him.
Bluelitespecial (06-22-21)
Old 06-22-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah his part is small but it's a fun bit in the movie.
The Valeyard (06-22-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.