Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Falling Companies

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: Falling Companies

Originally Posted by Red Hood
And the Dynamite thing was wild. It's the reason that they had to release Tarzan stories are Lord of the Jungle and John Carter as Warlord of Mars. I believe both series ended because the ERB estate went then after the stories and characters being used.
I remember picking up the first 5 or 6 floppy issues of that warlord of mars series by Dynamite.

Prior to that time, I didn't know much about ERB. As I learned more about ERB, I read the princess of mars book and came to the realization that Dynamite series was just the same story in comic book form. At the time there was a lull / delay in the release schedule of the Dynamite series (around 2 or 3 months between issues which were suppose to be monthly), where I ended up canceling my preorders for further issues. I thought the original book was a better read than the comic book version.

In a more general sense, I got the impression the princess of mars was where a lot of superhero/fantasy/scifi stuff might have had a lot of influences from. For example, such as Superman's powers.
Old 04-15-21, 02:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I also sort of remember the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate going after Dynamite Comics for their John Carter and Tarzan-based titles a while back. I know that at least some of ERB's Tarzan and John Carter stories are in the public domain, so Dynamite had the right to do at least some things with the stories and characters, though I believe the ERB estate aggressively defends its trademarks.
IINM, after that went down, ERB actually licensed Tarzan and John Carter to Dynamite officially. No joke.
Old 04-16-21, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Heather Antos has left Valiant for IDW. This doesn’t mean that Valiant is in trouble but reinforces the idea that they aren’t interested in releasing comic books. Right now, Savage is the only book being released until the new Shadowman series premieres
Old 04-16-21, 04:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oni is another company I used to pick up a bunch of stuff from and they seem to have fallen off. I know they have the Rick and Morty license, but I haven't noticed much else from them.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (04-17-21)
Old 04-16-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Heather Antos has left Valiant for IDW.
That's like trading in your Titanic tickets for Lusitania tickets.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
majorjoe23 (04-17-21), The Valeyard (04-17-21)
Old 10-01-21, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
At this time, I'm holding off on buying any further graphic novels and other scifi / fantasy type books. I was thinking of ordering an 800+ pages softcover omnibus published by Dark Horse, but decided against it for now.

I looked further at D&D books published over the past two or three years, where there were tons of complaints and user submitted photos on amazon reviews about crappy binding, pages falling out, misprinting, ink that smudges easily, etc .... due to a lack of quality control. Somewhat surprising considering D&D is owned by Hasbro, with its Wizards of the Coast subdivision doing almost everything in-house (and not outsourced). My older D&D books from the 2000s decade had decent binding and not many botched printings.

I'll wait until after I get fully vacinated and everywhere is open again, so that I can take a look for myself what an actual book looks like in person at nearby gaming/comic shops. (Some D&D books had special editions exclusive for gaming/comic/hobby stores).
Originally Posted by morriscroy
Tangentially related, recently I thought about playing Dungeons & Dragons again and looked at buying the current edition's basic three hardcover books: player's handbook, dungeon master guide, and monster manual.

If pages are falling out so easily out of the basic three D&D books (on the market since 2014), then I'm guessing these 320+ pages hardcover books have all the pages glued to the binding. (With no stitching).

(Long clusterfuck rant).

Recently I dropped by the nearby comic/game shop, where I was looking to pick up the three Dungeons & Dragons core books and checking out a few graphic novels. I inquired with the comicshop managers about whether they're still hosting regular D&D or MtG games, where they mentioned they're still not hosting any in-person games. (I played weekly D&D games at this same shop more than a decade ago). They simply didn't want to deal with unvaccinated folks who refused to wear facemasks, playing long 3 or 4+ hour evening sessions in a space without decent ventilation.

After that, I called up a few old acquaintances who I use to play weekly D&D game sessions with more than a decade ago, inquiring whether they're playing any campaigns currently. Over the past 18+ months or so, they were largely playing online over zoom. Though they were thinking of playing in-person again. I decided to check up on these same former peers/players I knew more than a decade ago, though unfortunately I came across a rabbit hole. Over the past decade of not having much of any contact, I came to the realization several of them became (or were already) antivaxxers, qanon, etc ... conspiracy types, from reading their online socialmedia feeds. I had no idea how far down the rabbit hole they were. Since then, I haven't returned any phone calls.

Compounding my decision to not buy any D&D books, Hasbro/WizardsOfTheCoast recently announced officially that they will be releasing a new set of D&D core books in 2024 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons. Though unclear on whether this will be a 5.5E "half edition" update or a completely new 6E edition. Effectively this turns all the original D&D 5E core books into dumpbin bargain bin fodder. No point in buying the old books, when updated core books will be published in two years or so.

From past experiences, playing non-current older editions of D&D isn't a problem in and of itself. Though in practice, I've found that the few remaining folks/groups still playing older non-current editions, were almost always the extreme hardcore gamer types. Such extreme hardcore gamers were highly likely to be very unpleasant individuals in person, who were the types I kept my distance from outside of our weekly game sessions. We didn't speak to one other in public. (ie. It was similar to being regulars at a "speakeasy" during prohibition).

With current editions of D&D, it was easier to find local groups of "normal" people who were not highly unpleasant extreme individuals.

At the comic shops, I checked out some of the IDW titles I mentioned earlier in this thread. Unfortunately the binding appears to be a problem, which has not been corrected yet.

In the end, I checked out several local comic book shops and didn't buy anything.
Old 10-01-21, 08:47 AM

So if IDW and possibly other non-DC/non-Marvel publishers are having cash crunch problems, then printing problems of omnibuses + trade paperbacks will not likely be corrected anytime soon.

Just noticed recently that IDW "Dungeons & Dragons: Days of Endless Adventure" omnibus with the major binding + pages falling out problems, is no longer available direct from amazon.
Old 10-01-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Yeah, Amazon doesn't play when things get returned a lot (especially for high priced/heavy items), they pull the listing pretty quickly.

As far as D&D goes, I did the same thing. I wanted to buy a set and see if my kids would be into it, but there was talk of an updated rulebook and I was like, guess I'll wait. Which is good, because the updated HeroQuest should be coming out shortly and that will be a decent litmus test.
Old 10-01-21, 09:00 AM

Frankly at this point, I don't even bother doing pre-orders anymore for graphic novels, omnibuses, etc ....

What completely screwed the pooch for me, was doing a preorder for a 4E Dungeons & Dragons book more than a decade ago. (It was for a D&D world setting I really liked back in the day, where I wanted to see how much of it was changed for the then-current 4E edition of D&D).

When this particular D&D setting book arrived in the mail, it was completely an utter botch job. The pages were printed upside down, and the edges didn't appear to be cut properly. Even worse was the ink was heavily "pre smudged" on many pages, where the text could not even be read.

It went back to amazon for a refund. (Never again).

Last edited by morriscroy; 10-01-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I will preorder an omnibus if there is like an amazing discount that I don't think I'd regularly see. That's how I ended up with the Slott She-hulk omni, I think. But I've long since run out of shelf space anyway so my omnibus/hardcover ordering has been minimal lately.

Did you get a botched copy or were all the copies botched? That seems like a major screw up.
Old 10-01-21, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did you get a botched copy or were all the copies botched? That seems like a major screw up.
I have no idea. I didn't ask for a replacement copy at the time from amazon. (I just did a straight return and refund).

I'm guessing that upside down pages mis-binding, was likely a small batch which was quickly recalled by hasbro/wotc. Though some botched upsidedown copies arrived at amazon.

What we discovered at the time circa late-2000s, was that ink was greatly inferior than the previous 3E + 3.5E edition D&D books. So if you were reading the 4E D&D Players Handbook and kept your finger / thumb over a section of text or artwork for over 30 seconds or so, the ink smudged or outright came off.
Old 10-01-21, 08:18 PM

I will preorder an omnibus if there is like an amazing discount that I don't think I'd regularly see. That's how I ended up with the Slott She-hulk omni, I think.
Same here, for many types of books and other stuff (such as movies, music cds, etc ....).

Usually I'll leave the preorder up, until a few days before the official release day. If there's still no significant deep discount by then, I'll end up canceling the preorder.
Old 10-03-21, 08:06 AM

As far as D&D goes, I did the same thing. I wanted to buy a set and see if my kids would be into it, but there was talk of an updated rulebook and I was like, guess I'll wait. Which is good, because the updated HeroQuest should be coming out shortly and that will be a decent litmus test.
I'm not familiar with HeroQuest. Though via googling, it looks like a more elaborate version of the boardgame Dungeon!

Back in the day, my "gateway drug" to tabletop rpg games was Dungeon! which was originally made by TSR. (The same guys who wrote D&D).

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1339/dungeon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon!

The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-03-21)