Reload this Page >

Selling a comic book collection...

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-09-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I inherited a collection of about 1100ish comic. Mix of DC and Marvel. Mostly stuff from 80s and 90s, but some 70s stuff too. I got the CLZ app and have been cataloging it all just so it is easier to present for sale. There is nothing in here that is all that valuable. Looks like there might be some 70s WW stuff, What If #1 and the 1st appearance of Madame Web as most valuable stuff. What is the best way to sell this? Just call up local comic shops, present the list to them so they can decide to buy? Seems like online selling is a pain. I want it all gone at once. Any cash I get from this is just $ in my pocket.

Here is the link if anyone has interest in seeing it: https://cloud.collectorz.com/531987/comics
Old 08-09-20, 12:50 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts
Re: Selling a comic book collection...

Check out MyComicShop.com (aka Lone Star Comics). They make it very easy to sell large collections in one lot. And individual comics that might be worth more.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

Local comic book stores won't give you anything. I hauled a couple boxes of comics down to my local store. They offered me $100.

I took them home and sold them through MCS. I got over $800. I sold a few individual books for $75-$100 each. Some of those took a few months to sell, but it didn't bother me. I just sent them the books and they handled everything.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Deftones (08-09-20), IBJoel (08-10-20), PhantomStranger (08-11-20)
Old 08-09-20, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I inherited a collection of about 1100ish comic. Mix of DC and Marvel. Mostly stuff from 80s and 90s, but some 70s stuff too. I got the CLZ app and have been cataloging it all just so it is easier to present for sale. There is nothing in here that is all that valuable. Looks like there might be some 70s WW stuff, What If #1 and the 1st appearance of Madame Web as most valuable stuff. What is the best way to sell this? Just call up local comic shops, present the list to them so they can decide to buy? Seems like online selling is a pain. I want it all gone at once. Any cash I get from this is just $ in my pocket.

Here is the link if anyone has interest in seeing it: https://cloud.collectorz.com/531987/comics
You want to sell that Amazing Spider-Man 300 on the list?
Old 08-10-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 585 Likes on 338 Posts

How'd that Mutt and Jeff get in there?? I would be interested in that ...
Old 08-10-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Check out MyComicShop.com (aka Lone Star Comics). They make it very easy to sell large collections in one lot. And individual comics that might be worth more.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

Local comic book stores won't give you anything. I hauled a couple boxes of comics down to my local store. They offered me $100.

I took them home and sold them through MCS. I got over $800. I sold a few individual books for $75-$100 each. Some of those took a few months to sell, but it didn't bother me. I just sent them the books and they handled everything.
How did you ship the boxes? And what did it cost? I sell comics on Ebay but I haven't gotten into trying to sell more than what fits in a Priority box.
Old 08-10-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood
You want to sell that Amazing Spider-Man 300 on the list?
Maybe. Didn't realize that was in there. I barely looked at the stuff. Just was doing inventory. Wonder if I should pay to get it graded.
Old 08-10-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bronkster
How'd that Mutt and Jeff get in there?? I would be interested in that ...
The guy who owned collection is in late 70s. I can see why he has it but not necessarily why he had it.
Old 08-10-20, 12:52 PM
Banned

Maybe. Didn't realize that was in there. I barely looked at the stuff. Just was doing inventory. Wonder if I should pay to get it graded.
Depends on how it looks. Let me know if you are interested in selling it and what shape is in.
Old 08-10-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on how it looks. Let me know if you are interested in selling it and what shape is in.
Same with me on the Mutt and Jeff
Old 08-10-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I mean to get some of the other stuff graded. Not the Mutt and Jeff.

Let me think about it and get back to you guys.
The following users liked this post:
Red Hood (08-10-20)
Old 08-10-20, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
How did you ship the boxes? And what did it cost? I sell comics on Ebay but I haven't gotten into trying to sell more than what fits in a Priority box.
I sent them in a few batches. I just used some Amazon boxes and shipped them media mail with tracking (about $5 a package). Each box had around $100 worth of stuff in it, so I wasn't worried too much if it was damaged or lost.
Old 08-10-20, 02:49 PM

When I sold my comics to MyComicShop, there was a lot of stuff they weren't buying. I only sold them maybe 60% of my stuff. But they paid a decent price on the stuff they bought. Especially the consignment stuff (individual issues).

I had a box of leftover random issues that weren't worth anything. I sold the bundle on Craigslist. I think I got $30-$50.

Of course, these days the economy sucks. I'm sure lots of people are unloading comics for some extra cash. And there probably aren't a lot of buyers right now. It's not a good time to be selling a collection.
Old 08-10-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Honestly I am not in a rush to sell. I have the space to store these long term. I wish I could get someone to evaluate the collection to see if it is cost effective to get the more valuable ones graded. I don't know enough about conditions of comics. Basically do not want to waste money getting something graded if it isn't going to grade fairly high.

I got through the rest and finished cataloging them. Nothing else super valuable, but added quite a bit more 70s stuff that I hadn't done yet.
Old 08-10-20, 06:56 PM
Banned

Honestly I am not in a rush to sell. I have the space to store these long term. I wish I could get someone to evaluate the collection to see if it is cost effective to get the more valuable ones graded. I don't know enough about conditions of comics. Basically do not want to waste money getting something graded if it isn't going to grade fairly high.

I got through the rest and finished cataloging them. Nothing else super valuable, but added quite a bit more 70s stuff that I hadn't done yet.
If you send me some photos of the ones you may want to get graded, I could help you giving my non-official grade estimate for the books.
Old 08-12-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

I sold half of my individual comic collection last year. I sold it on ebay. I got about $1,200 for my Amazing Spider-Man comic collection alone.

Of course, the ebay & paypal fees sucked up a lot of that money...

I'm still selling individual comics that have some value ($6 or more), and I've got various lots of 15-40 comics for sale as well. I'm hoping to have it all gone by next March or April.

The lot that I'm having a hard time getting people to look at is a large lot of Avengers comics from the 90's. It's a good run, but that era isn't in demand.
Old 08-12-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I sent them in a few batches. I just used some Amazon boxes and shipped them media mail with tracking (about $5 a package).
You aren't supposed to send comic books with media mail. One of the restrictions on media mail is that it can't contain advertisements, and since (most) comic books contain advertising, it's not legal to use that method.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™.
They don't mention any kind of time restriction, so even though the ads in old comic books or magazines are no longer current, it seems like they're still not allowed.

Old 08-12-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Wow, I buy and sell comics all the time on Ebay and if over weight of 1st class, will use or receive via Media Mail. I assume they check sporadically but haven't had any issues via USPS.
Old 08-12-20, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You aren't supposed to send comic books with media mail. One of the restrictions on media mail is that it can't contain advertisements, and since (most) comic books contain advertising, it's not legal to use that method.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

They don't mention any kind of time restriction, so even though the ads in old comic books or magazines are no longer current, it seems like they're still not allowed.
USPS seems to turn a blind eye for years now. It's more of a hassle for them to open the package and protect the integrity of what is being sent than letting things like this go. That Media Mail rule seems to be outdated too.
Old 08-12-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

USPS seems to turn a blind eye for years now. It's more of a hassle for them to open the package and protect the integrity of what is being sent than letting things like this go. That Media Mail rule seems to be outdated too.
I wasn't aware of that, "No comics," rule, but I've been sending comics via media mail for years. The way I pack them the package would be a pain in the ass to open, and they'd never be able to re-seal it right anyway.

And do modern comics even have ads?

I'd swear back in the day I also received regular magazines through media mail - and they were loaded with ads.
Old 08-13-20, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I wasn't aware of that, "No comics," rule, but I've been sending comics via media mail for years. The way I pack them the package would be a pain in the ass to open, and they'd never be able to re-seal it right anyway.

And do modern comics even have ads?

I'd swear back in the day I also received regular magazines through media mail - and they were loaded with ads.
Most modern comics have ads, but they are usually in-house ads or licensed products. Still, they are ads.

Magazines has always been sent through another type of media mail but is a special bulk rating that distributors have to use. If they use regular media mail, the magazine will be returned to sender.
Old 08-17-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

ASM #300 and #301
Lots good books in that ASM run. That Annual #21
Those Marvel Tales are getting popular as well as Team Ups
You got a good run of Spectacular Spidy as well....
And all those McFarlane Spidy #1 ... you'd have something if you had a Platinum variant but those Silver and Gold are spiking a little.
Web Of... is a nice series and spiking a little
Old 08-17-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

So far nobody wants anything to do with this collection, but they all ASM 300.

Honestly, I am considering keeping some of the best Spidey stuff, and putting everything else up on Craigslist to the highest bidder.
The following users liked this post:
VHS? (08-17-20)
Old 08-17-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Let me show this to my buddy. He may want some and I may be interested as well. He's in Malaysia so he'll be up soon. If prices are right on some he'll probably be interested.
I buy locally and on eBay for him as it's cheaper and I ship him medium priority boxes every 6 months or so.