Reload this Page >

DC Comics Our Army at War

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-07-20, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Any chance of seeing omnibuses of this comic series?

It had a good run of 25 years (1952-1977)and there seems to hardly be any talk about it.
Old 07-08-20, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: DC Comics Our Army at War

Other than the Showcase reprints that DC did over a decade ago and are now out of print, DC has truly never reprinted these stories in collections and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Both Marvel and DC see these war books as something that doesn't have a strong following for them to warrant reprints. I would love to see some of these books get reprints, specially since those Our Army at War books have great art by Kubert, Giella and Neal Adams. They are also really hard to find and extremely expensive for those first issues featuring Sgt. Rock and Easy Company.
Old 07-08-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Other than the Showcase reprints that DC did over a decade ago and are now out of print, DC has truly never reprinted these stories in collections and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Both Marvel and DC see these war books as something that doesn't have a strong following for them to warrant reprints. I would love to see some of these books get reprints, specially since those Our Army at War books have great art by Kubert, Giella and Neal Adams. They are also really hard to find and extremely expensive for those first issues featuring Sgt. Rock and Easy Company.
Not to mention that the Haunted Tank GI Combat books are probably now considered politically incorrect.
Old 07-08-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

I have a number of the war Showcases and some of the Sgt Rock archives and I like them, but the stories get pretty repetitive in bulk reading. I think an anthology reprint would be a great solution.

However, I agree that there doesn’t seem to be any urgency for this material. DC hasn’t bothered to release it digitally (grantee even their flagship superhero characters have major holes).
Old 07-08-20, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Not to mention that the Haunted Tank GI Combat books are probably now considered politically incorrect.
Yeah, that stuff needs to be rebooted now if it ever comes back.
Old 07-08-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

I'd say there's almost no chance it gets omnibus treatment. It would have to jump dozens of more marketable titles up for consideration.
Old 07-09-20, 03:00 PM
Banned

I completely forgot that this book is coming next week to LCS and is already available on Amazon.

Catch a glimpse of what it was like to live through two World Wars through the eyes of characters including Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, the Boy Commandos, Blackhawk, and many others. From tales of rebellion to surviving the battlefield, this title collects some of the greatest war stories of their time. Collects Sgt. Rock Special #2, Enemy Ace: War in Heaven #1-2, Showcase #57, Our Army at War #67, #83, #233, and #235, Boy Commandos #1, Star Spangled War Stories #87 and #183, All-American Comics #48, Weird War Tales #3 (1972), G.I. Combat #87, Our Fighting Forces #49 and #102, The Losers Special #1, and Military Comics #1.

The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I won't be picking it up, but I hope it sells well enough to motivate DC to start releasing archival runs of some of the individual titles.
Similar to the format of the recent Weird Western Tales- consecutive issues in a form factor as large, but not as thick as, an omnibus.

I'd be up for collections heavy with Unknown Solider and Haunted Tank material at the very least.
Old 07-09-20, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I’ll get that DC Goes to War digitally. I like to get these kinds of wide-ranging collections in physical form so I can easily skip to what I want to read, but a lot of it appeared in a 1979 collection America at War: The Best of DC Comics, which I bought used just last year. So this way I’d have the convenience of digital and also support the release without cluttering my shelves.
Old 07-10-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Yeah, that stuff needs to be rebooted now if it ever comes back.
I got DC Goes to War and enjoyed several of the stories, but yeah, the Haunted Tank (my favorite war series when I was a kid) was a bit cringe-y, with the main character growing up to idolize his namesake Jeb Stuart, “playing war” against the Union, etc. I get that the story was centered on an undersized tank that happened to be named after the Confederate general, but it’s not a good look today. The series debuted in 1961, and I doubt that it was intended to reinforce the Jim Crow laws that were still in effect at the time, but I can’t help wondering. I know a lot of the Confederate statues under big debate today popped up around the same time.
Old 07-11-20, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I got DC Goes to War and enjoyed several of the stories, but yeah, the Haunted Tank (my favorite war series when I was a kid) was a bit cringe-y, with the main character growing up to idolize his namesake Jeb Stuart, “playing war” against the Union, etc. I get that the story was centered on an undersized tank that happened to be named after the Confederate general, but it’s not a good look today. The series debuted in 1961, and I doubt that it was intended to reinforce the Jim Crow laws that were still in effect at the time, but I can’t help wondering. I know a lot of the Confederate statues under big debate today popped up around the same time.
The easiest way (and the one that needs to be done to send the message) is rebooting the ghost of the Haunted Tank as that of Ulysses Grant. The jackasses who throw a fit on this decision can simply take their ball and go home because we don't want them around.
Old 07-16-20, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a huge fan of DC's 1960's-1980's war, western, and horror genre comics. And, I would pay good $ for a series of Omnis reprinting - in their entirety & in color - all of DC's Our Army at War, Sgt. Rock, Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank, etc.

I read some of these back in the day (primarily reprints) and felt they were superb, and some of the best comics out there. DC really needs to reprint more of these titles, especially given that up to this point - all we've gotten are some sub-par b&w "phone book" collections of some of this material - which I'm not even counting much, given that the original comics were reprinted in color.

Last edited by TheDude; 07-16-20 at 10:59 PM.