Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone name the artist or the writer on this Marvel comic?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

This was the first comicbook I ever had. Nowhere in the comic does it attribute anyone involved in producing the comic. It was a giveaway during a slurpee contest in 1981 that I won from a scratch card that you get when you purchased a slurpee. The artwork reminds me a little of Trimpe, J. Buscema, and Romita Sr. but I don't think it was any of them. I asked Jim Shooter at a convention a few years ago, but he wasn't sure and thought maybe it was done by a paid "on staff" artist, but he didn't think it was a big name artist
Old 05-26-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Can anyone name the artist or the writer on this Marvel comic?

Originally Posted by movieguru
This was the first comicbook I ever had. Nowhere in the comic does it attribute anyone involved in producing the comic. It was a giveaway during a slurpee contest in 1981 that I won from a scratch card that you get when you purchased a slurpee. The artwork reminds me a little of Trimpe, J. Buscema, and Romita Sr. but I don't think it was any of them. I asked Jim Shooter at a convention a few years ago, but he wasn't sure and thought maybe it was done by a paid "on staff" artist, but he didn't think it was a big name artist
I just sold that comic last year.

I want to say Winslow Mortimer with Vince Colletta inking, but I could be confusing that with the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends comic.

The cover is obviously Romita Sr.
Old 05-27-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I just sold that comic last year.

I want to say Winslow Mortimer with Vince Colletta inking, but I could be confusing that with the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends comic.

The cover is obviously Romita Sr.
Is the cover definetly Romita Sr.? That was my impression as well, but Shooter dismised it, and said the artwork was too sloppy to be Romita's. I'll have to find my copy and post some pics of the inside artwork. It's really odd that there is no reference in the book to the artists or writers as is standard in comics.
Old 05-27-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
Is the cover definetly Romita Sr.? That was my impression as well, but Shooter dismised it, and said the artwork was too sloppy to be Romita's. I'll have to find my copy and post some pics of the inside artwork. It's really odd that there is no reference in the book to the artists or writers as is standard in comics.
There's nothing sloppy about that cover at all. Did Shooter actually SEE the cover? If he was going from memory maybe he was confusing it with something else.

The cover almost looks like a cut and paste job of separate Romita figures. Almost. But it's definitely Romita. He's my favorite artist, and I'd recognize his style anywhere (including an uncredited near full page panel in Incredible Hulk 193 - confirmed by Joe Staton, who inked it).

As for the interior art, I can't be sure since I sold it last year.
Old 05-27-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
There's nothing sloppy about that cover at all. Did Shooter actually SEE the cover? If he was going from memory maybe he was confusing it with something else.

The cover almost looks like a cut and paste job of separate Romita figures. Almost. But it's definitely Romita. He's my favorite artist, and I'd recognize his style anywhere (including an uncredited near full page panel in Incredible Hulk 193 - confirmed by Joe Staton, who inked it).

As for the interior art, I can't be sure since I sold it last year.
The cover definitely looks like a cut and paste job. This is probably why Shooter dismissed the notion of Romita Sr. Might be Archie Goodwin, because Spider-Woman is on the cover and his art style is sort of similar to Romita's.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 05-27-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

This review of it also believes the cover is Romita Sr.

https://marvelheroeslibrary.com/comi...mic=SMCAIHSW-1
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-02-22)
Old 05-28-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
This review of it also believes the cover is Romita Sr.

https://marvelheroeslibrary.com/comi...mic=SMCAIHSW-1
​​​​​​
Starting to wonder if the book's artist could be Larry Lieber. He took over art duties for the Spidey strip after Romita left. Attached, is a link to an interview conducted by Roy Thomas where he is very complimentary to Romita's art style.

"Lieber: I remember doing a couple of annuals of Spider-Man. Here's a story: The way Ditko drew didn't appeal to me. I thought his stuff was very stiff, you know what I mean? I did like the way John Romita drew, which was very pretty and flowing and so on with the figures. So at that time I did a lot of my drawing in the office, and I was drawing under John's direction. Do you remember those days? People would comment about it, I think - my showing John every picture I was drawing."

https://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/.../02lieber.html

John Pannozzi (12-02-22)
Old 05-28-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I'm looking at it online, and most of it is clearly Herb Trimpe's pencil work. There's a fairly smooth inker going over his pencils, but I'm not sure who it is. Could be Mike Esposito or even Frank Giacoia. My guess, though, is that it's someone else - a solid, reliable, but fairly generic inker who doesn't have a particularly unique style. Marvel had a few of those in the 70's and early 80's.

The last 3 panels are by John Romita Sr. That much is obvious. I suspect that several panels (including some of Spider-Woman's face drawings) were done by another pencil artist, touching up Trimpe's work.
John Pannozzi (12-02-22)
Old 12-02-22, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't want to create a new thread for this, so I figured I'd post it at the end of my old thread. Anyone know who the artist was that created the image that was used on this guitar or what the title and issue number was of the comic book it came from? I'd like to get a copy of the book to display with it, but I've searched through all the regular volumes of the regular Captain America series and can't find the cover this is from unless it is some obscure variant cover. I've had the guitar since 2016 and it was out a few years before that, so I figure the issue would have come out before 2012 or earlier. Most likely it was some time in the 2000's.

Old 12-02-22, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Its from the Siege crossover, New Avengers 61

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_Avengers_Vol_1_61
PhantomStranger (12-04-22)
Old 12-02-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Its from the Siege crossover, New Avengers 61

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_Avengers_Vol_1_61
Yep, that was it. Thanks!! I figured it had to be from a random series and not he regular title, but it was almost impossible to search for by googling a description of the cover.