Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Mad Magazine Onmibuses anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Mad Magazine Onmibuses anytime soon?

I am guessing DC Comics own's Mad Magazine entire library.

Would there be a demand for this to be made into Omnibuses?
Old 03-28-20, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Mad Magazine Onmibuses anytime soon?

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I am guessing DC Comics own's Mad Magazine entire library.

Would there be a demand for this to be made into Omnibuses?
I doubt we will see Omnibuses for MAD since DC is cutting down on that kind of production, and now even more after the Coronavirus effect on the industry. They will keep releasing small collections as they have done in the past and that's the kind of business model they were planning moving forward with the magazine.
Old 03-29-20, 07:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Pretty sure I bought the DVD-rom collection back in the day,,or was it a lot of CDs?
Old 03-29-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

I've got one that was on CDRom, 7 disks I think. There may have been a later DVDrom edition too. I'd be in for an update.
I recall there were at least two special packages with pack-ins...one, quite forward looking, included a MAD-themed roll of toilet paper.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-29-20)
Old 03-29-20, 01:19 PM
Banned

I believe you guys are talking about this

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-18-20)
Old 03-29-20, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

I have that. The cool thing about all those releases were they were all easily rip-able. I still have every release that company did for those (Marvel, some Gold Key, and even some Archie discs!). I kept meaning to sell all of them but but it is comforting knowing I have them in case I want them.
Old 03-29-20, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Rumors going around that Warner/DC is looking to sell the Mad brand back to some entity fronted by the Gaines' family, or something along those lines.
Old 03-29-20, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I have that. The cool thing about all those releases were they were all easily rip-able. I still have every release that company did for those (Marvel, some Gold Key, and even some Archie discs!). I kept meaning to sell all of them but but it is comforting knowing I have them in case I want them.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't most files for the books on pdf format?
Old 03-29-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
If I'm not mistaken, aren't most files for the books on pdf format?
I believe they are all pdf. I can check if you need me to. Also, they are just straight up scans of the old newsprint comics. Not as slick as the comixology or the DC & Marvel releases now but they are nice to have.

The only ones that weren't pdf that I remember were the old DVD-Rom releases of the complete Playboy and Rolling Stone collections. They were some weird program that I never could get to work correctly even all those years ago.
Old 03-29-20, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

With paper books not being produced as much anyway, I doubt we'll ever see Mad Magazine Omnibuses. But, if the unlikely were to ever occur & these did start being released, count me in. I would definitely be in for a definitive release of the series from the beginning. I've read some of the older issues over the years, but all of the collections we've seen (up to this point) have been anthology-type releases where they cherry-picked certain issues & released them in a collection.

What I would be more interested in seeing would be a release of each issue, from the beginning, in chronological order. Again, I don't see this ever happening. But, if it did I would definitely get these.
Old 03-30-20, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I believe they are all pdf. I can check if you need me to. Also, they are just straight up scans of the old newsprint comics. Not as slick as the comixology or the DC & Marvel releases now but they are nice to have.

The only ones that weren't pdf that I remember were the old DVD-Rom releases of the complete Playboy and Rolling Stone collections. They were some weird program that I never could get to work correctly even all those years ago.
I remember the Playboy one using some type of Flash software that turned the pages extremely slow.
Old 03-30-20, 09:14 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I'd forgotten how bummed out I am that I never got that DVD-ROM with all the issues. THANKS A LOT!
Old 03-31-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Rumors going around that Warner/DC is looking to sell the Mad brand back to some entity fronted by the Gaines' family, or something along those lines.
That would be pretty cool if true, full circle back to the Gaines family. Shit, Bill's father Max Gaines practically started the US comic book industry, and DC especially benefited.

Old 04-01-20, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by story
I'd forgotten how bummed out I am that I never got that DVD-ROM with all the issues. THANKS A LOT!
Every now and then it will pop up on eBay and sell for between $50-$100.
Old 04-13-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would buy a Mad omnibus in a heartbeat. Would also love a Groo omni, but I know that'll never happen. I just love those art styles. Pure fun.
Old 04-13-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I would buy a Mad omnibus in a heartbeat. Would also love a Groo omni, but I know that'll never happen. I just love those art styles. Pure fun.

Why wouldn't a Groo omni happen? Are Evanier or Aragones against the idea or something?
Old 04-13-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

There’s been talk of it for years, but I think there’s an issue with art files for the early issues.
Old 06-10-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

There was Absolutely Mad, and Totally Mad as well. Totally Mad was through Dec 1998, at least my CDRom version.
I just installed it on my PC and unfortunately it looks like it's not downloadable PDFs (feel free to correct me!).

Got the most recent issue in the mail the other day - Al Jaffee's last issue, and I believe the last issue with any new content whatsoever

(I do have the New Yorker Complete Collection, book and disk, and those are PDFs, one per year, through 2006's cartoons.
Old 06-12-20, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have a stack of old Mad Magazine collectors special editions from back in the day. Even the Star Trek one where it spoofs on Star Trek 1 through VI