The "Resale/Collectible Value" of comics should have stayed dead in the 90s
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (02-27-20)
Old 02-27-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: Dan DiDio out as Co-Publisher at DC

Originally Posted by Red Hood
There is a digital copy available on Comixology but that has no resale/collectible value
But if you just want to read it, it's available.
Old 02-27-20, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
While this doesn't help LCS's, honestly if you just want to read it there's always digital.
For me personally, I am seriously addicted to physical comics. I need to hold them in my hands when I read them. I don't get the same "thrill" from digital. I've tried. I need to hold and smell them (and rub them all over my body). I know we're heading toward the day the physical comic is dead. That's the day I stop buying modern comics and focus solely on older ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Valeyard:
ftrez (02-28-20), PhantomStranger (02-28-20)
Old 02-27-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
For me personally, I am seriously addicted to physical comics. I need to hold them in my hands when I read them. I don't get the same "thrill" from digital. I've tried. I need to hold and smell them (and rub them all over my body). I know we're heading toward the day the physical comic is dead. That's the day I stop buying modern comics and focus solely on older ones.
Oh, I agree with you that physical shouldn't go away (and if comixology ever collapses there are going to be some really upset people), it's just relative scarcity of comics if you just want the story is no longer a thing. Legally even.
Old 02-27-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts

I think we were separated at birth.
The Valeyard (02-28-20)
Old 02-27-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I remember that issue of Lady Bullseye was hot for a second. Cool cover but boring issue.

The best comics to read holding the issue in your hands is Yoe Comics. Old 50s horror reprint stories with shiny covers.
Old 02-28-20, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
There is a digital copy available on Comixology but that has no resale/collectible value
Yes, but the argument is that some people "just want to read" it. This is a way to just read it.
Old 02-28-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, but the argument is that some people "just want to read" it. This is a way to just read it.
Yes, you can... However there are people like me who "just want to read it" but want a paper copy to read.

I very much dislike reading books of any type on a digital platform/device. Sure, you get the same words/images, but the experience is different. Lest you think it's my age reflected in this opinion my 16yo grandson feels exactly the same. His school is fully digital and he hates it. Like the vast majority of people, his comprehension and retention is better if he's read something on paper.

Stuff like this is also a very good reason to have a file at your LCS. I don't read any of the books in question but could let the manager of my LCS know I wanted one *up to the day of arrival of the books,* as long as it's not one they "order to file," and get a copy in my file. They charged the normal price (always cover -15% during release week - no matter how "hot" it might be) for both books and limited you to *one* copy whether you had a file or just walked in off the street. Knowing he'd get scalpers/speculators (who typically empty the shelf of copies) for these, he put a single copy of each on the shelf at a time. When that copy sold he put another out. He had a scalper come in and try to purchase more than one copy. When the guy started to argue he was told "One copy per person and if you want to argue you won't even get that one copy."

Every time I read these "horror" stories about stores that gouge and rip off their customers I feel blessed that ours is a stand-up store that treats the customer right.
Old 02-28-20, 03:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

While we’re off topic, I guess I’ll give my thoughts on digital versus physical again.

Early in the digital game, I was adamantly pro-physical, and still buy physical every month, and have no plans to sell most of my ~100 boxes. But now, if I had to choose, I’d choose digital with no hesitation. Assuming a decent and large tablet, comics look so much better, and the portability, just wow. My ~100k books are with me 24/7 in the most beautiful presentation possible.

And the price can’t be beat. You can own every mainstream comic for less than a dollar an issue. No store can touch that.

As for Comixology going under or revoking my license to my purchases, I have no fears of that happening. And even if it does, I have my receipts, and will just read those issues online by whatever means necessary whenever I chose. Other than that, pirates are absolute scum, but it’s my backup plan only on my rightfully purchased books.
Old 02-28-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Going by the rumors, most of the superhero comic book readership for Marvel and DC are like you. The big two have been continually disappointed with digital sales from what I've heard. I'll read digital comics if forced, but vastly prefer looking at a printed copy.
Old 02-29-20, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

It's going to be impossible for comic book publishers to switch over to digital.

They have trained their readership to view comic books as limited edition collectibles and investments. It's the only way people who buy comics can justify spending $3.99+ per issue month after month. Even if they know all of the shit they buy every week is only going to be worth pennies on the dollar of what they paid for it, on a a subconscious level, they still see the possibility that each book is a potential goldmine.

Since there's no resale on comixology sales, people aren't going to transition over to digital any time soon.
Old 02-29-20, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's going to be impossible for comic book publishers to switch over to digital.

They have trained their readership to view comic books as limited edition collectibles and investments. It's the only way people who buy comics can justify spending $3.99+ per issue month after month. Even if they know all of the shit they buy every week is only going to be worth pennies on the dollar of what they paid for it, on a a subconscious level, they still see the possibility that each book is a potential goldmine.

Since there's no resale on comixology sales, people aren't going to transition over to digital any time soon.
I bet there are many more digital readers than physical readers, they’re just asshole pirates.

And I really hope most (like 99%) physical buyers don’t think of it as an investment.
Old 02-29-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never looked at comics as an investment. I buy what I like to read. If there are alternate covers I buy the one I like the best or just take what's been dropped in my file. If an issue just happens to become "valuable" then that's OK but I'll never realize anything from it. With only a couple of exceptions of comics from the 60s I have no idea what any of them are worth. It'll be my heirs who profit should they choose to sell, although, if it's up to my wife, it's more likely they'll just be donated or thrown out.
Old 02-29-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
I bet there are many more digital readers than physical readers, they’re just asshole pirates.

And I really hope most (like 99%) physical buyers don’t think of it as an investment.
You are probably correct that more people are digitally pirating the books than actually buying them.
Old 02-29-20, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

DC's now sole publisher and Chief Creative Officer Jim Lee has indicated that DC won't replace former Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, who recently exited the company.

Speaking at his personal spotlight panel during C2E2 2020, Lee told the audience "There's continually new things going on, and I look at being sole publisher now and the team I'm working with. Much more in trenches now than ever before."

"We've been with Warner Bros. for decades," Lee elaborated. "The actual strategy for DC is to put publishing at center of what we do. It's the engine of all the movies, TV, cartoons, we do. And so its my intent going forward as the Publisher, to lean into the collective years of my team."

Lee also seemingly but vaguely addressed rumors about Marvel acquiring DC publishing, which have made their way into some internet rumors circles of late, shooting down any chance of this.

"To address some of the stuff that is out there, there's rumors... speculation," Lee explained. "I wouldn't put any credence into it. DC has been around for 85 years, and we'll be around for another 85 years. I hope to be doing this panel in 85 years."

Lee also spoke about the chances DC's impending 5G initiative would constitute yet another reboot, saying that's not in the cards.

"It's hard to talk about things we haven't announced. Intention not to do a line-wide reboot," Lee clarified. "Our focus in talking to editorial team is to continue what we've done best: Character-driven stories, pairing right creators on right characters, and developing characters that are inclusive and diverse."

DC did not respond to Newsarama's request for comment at the time of this story's publication.
Old 03-02-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did we end up with two of the greatest artists of all time managing business affairs instead of drawing? Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane are wasting their talents.
majorjoe23 (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
How did we end up with two of the greatest artists of all time managing business affairs instead of drawing? Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane are wasting their talents.
Before that Batman run I want to say Lee drew sporadically (which is part of what made Hush so special, besides him going over to DC). So you're like almost two decades late with that take.

While not in the same stratosphere, I thought Quesada was a decent artist in his own right as well.
Old 03-02-20, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
It feels like a corporate creative dictate. Wasn't it revealed that the Joker had a sidekick before Harley named Gaggy? Why not bring him back? Or create a a companion/sidekick that's completely different from Gaggy and Harley.

And "Punchline" has a weak design.
Originally Posted by ftrez
I'm not too current on much modern Batman so they probably did a "reveal" story in the modern era about Gaggy but the only time I remember him appearing was in 1, maybe 2, issues in the 50s or 60s. I thought of him a few weeks back when I finally got around to watching the Joker film because the one guy at the clown shop that's nice to Arthur is a dwarf and I thought, "Hey, he can be Gaggy". Gaggy was a dwarf if you didn't already know.
They had "Neo-Joker" from Batman: White Knight who they could have easily imported into the main universe
Old 03-02-20, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Hot take: I hate Jim Lee's art, especially his Joker. No doubt, he's an important artist and was one of the artists who brought manga-influenced dynamism to the West, but I personally hate the way he tries to balance gritty and cartoony. Same with David Finch.
Old 03-02-20, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hot take: I hate Jim Lee's art, especially his Joker. No doubt, he's an important artist and was one of the artists who brought manga-influenced dynamism to the West, but I personally hate the way he tries to balance gritty and cartoony. Same with David Finch.
Hush's art is great. Jim Lee probably can't handle the grind of a monthly book anymore with his detailed style.
Old 03-02-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I like much of Lee's work, to me it all pretty much looks the same. Like a few other high profile artists, often the only way you know one character from another is the clothes they wear. The only book I've ever purchased with McFarlane Art is "Cyberforce" #8 and I couldn't tell you anything about it - story or art - as it's been too long.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-02-20 at 06:19 PM.
IBJoel (03-04-20)
Old 03-03-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
They had "Neo-Joker" from Batman: White Knight who they could have easily imported into the main universe
She looks like Punch-Line except with white hair.

As for Jim Lee's art, his work in HUSH was like a dream come true for me. A modern monthly Batman series with Jim Lee as the regular artist? And with special water color painted flashbacks? So much detail for like $2.25 a pop. Good times.

But his Joker in that issue was hideous. Why a carrot nose? He did a better Joker in All-Star Batman, but then he gave him a Yakuza tattoo. He's sense of style never evolved out of 1992.
IBJoel (03-04-20)
Old 03-03-20, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Speaking of Lee, he just posted pencils for Catwoman 80th cover. Sooooo good

Old 03-03-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I would guess that running things behind-the-scenes is easier and less labor-intensive than sitting at a drafting table and drawing for eight hours a day. So when folks like Quesada, Lee, and McFarlane got an opportunity to abandon the table and pencil they took it.

Even in the early days of Image, the founders, outside of Larsen, started outsourcing the art duties on their books to copycat artists.
Old 03-03-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would guess that running things behind-the-scenes is easier and less labor-intensive than sitting at a drafting table and drawing for eight hours a day. So when folks like Quesada, Lee, and McFarlane got an opportunity to abandon the table and pencil they took it.

Even in the early days of Image, the founders, outside of Larsen, started outsourcing the art duties on their books to copycat artists.
Wouldn't be such a problem if they would have learned to adapt too more of a minimalist technical art style. Every comic panelists not need to be a masterpiece. Lee's character art is much to detailed. I can easily see why he would be suffering from burnout. Plus it would help get his books out on time.

With the above being said, he (Lee) is legit talented. Can't really say the same for McFarlane.
​​​​

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.