The DVDTalk Comic Book Challenge thread, year 2020 and beyond

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The DVDTalk Comic Book Challenge thread, year 2020 and beyond

Old 01-07-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts
Re: The DVDTalk Comic Book Challenge thread, year 2020

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I'm reading Sex Criminals right now. I wish there was an adaptation, then I could count it!
There was an adaptation in the works by Universal Studios but it's stuck in limbo. I know they signed Matt Fraction to a deal to develop this as well as other shows to be potentially sold to FX, but this was before the Disney merger with Fox and nothing came of it.
Old 01-07-22, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Maybe Jack Black and Mos Def can make one for you?
Iím not sure I want to see Jack Black Bloop Mos Defís clit.
Old 01-23-22, 08:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Didn’t want to jinx myself too early (so doing so now I guess), but I’m sticking with my minimum one physical issue and one appearance of Swamp Thing per day.

Still struggling with the best way to track my reading. Keep hand written notes. Have a spreadsheet to track reading that I started in December. Also have this and another comics forum (Classic Comics) where the post formatting is mostly similar, so plan to post in both for accountability.

But now I’m also planning to finally buy CLZ to catalog my collection, and it likely has a reading tracker too perhaps. Paralyzed with too many options as usual….
Old 01-23-22, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Didnít want to jinx myself too early (so doing so now I guess), but Iím sticking with my minimum one physical issue and one appearance of Swamp Thing per day.

Still struggling with the best way to track my reading. Keep hand written notes. Have a spreadsheet to track reading that I started in December. Also have this and another comics forum (Classic Comics) where the post formatting is mostly similar, so plan to post in both for accountability.

But now Iím also planning to finally buy CLZ to catalog my collection, and it likely has a reading tracker too perhaps. Paralyzed with too many options as usualÖ.
CLZ will be the best way to do the reading tracker besides being able to catalog your collection
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (01-23-22)
Old 02-01-22, 09:13 AM

Re: The DVDTalk Comic Book Challenge thread, year 2020 and beyond

I didn’t want to post until I knew I had accomplished at least close to my goals, as I seem to fail my reading goals every year. Notes and piles are still a mess so a detailed list is not soon coming, but I seem to have accomplished my four main goals for the year so far.

1 - read one issue/appearance of Swamp Thing a day

2 - read one recent physical single issue a day

3 - complete my usual monthly checklist of ~30 genres/publishers/formats that I collect or subscribe to and want to read monthly to try to ‘get my money’s worth’

4 - almost by default, completing the above three goals should put me at 100+ comics per month (OGNs and large issues are counted as one comic per 20 pages)
Old 02-07-22, 08:30 AM

Daily template:

day of week month date
physical single issue, Swamp Thing full reading order, then any others

issue and # - notes

issue and # - notes

issue and # - notes

Old 03-14-22, 02:35 PM

Comic reading January 2022

Daily template:

day of week month date
physical single issue, then Swamp Thing full reading order, monthly checklist item(s), then any others

physical single issue - notes

Swamp Thing # - notes

monthly checklist genre/format - issue # - notes, (x) where x equals equivalent number of 20 page comics if over 1, for counting purposes, goal is to always top 100 each month

January 2022

Saturday January 1st
physical single issue, then Swamp Thing full reading order, monthly checklist item(s), then any others

Beyond the Breach #1 - good enough to keep reading

House of Mystery #195 - issue released after HoS 92, but was done a few years earlier; contains a Bernie Wrightson story with a Swamp Thing prototype, later brilliantly brought into continuity by Alan Moore

Holiday - Adventures of Superman #474 - New Year’s story

Action #810 - New Year’s story

dollar/giant - World’s Greatest Super-Heroes Holiday Special - this 2018 Walmart 100-pager had one new Flash story and then several Rebirth-era reprints

Sunday January 2nd

No Holds Bard #1 - can see this gimmick bothering me in time, but for at least one issue, I had a ton of fun with this book written in iambic pentameter. Shakespeare and his page have secret superhero identities and must rescue the Queen. Behemoth has been mostly a miss as a publisher for me, but I enjoyed this one and will check out at least one more issue.

House of Secrets #92 - the story that started it all, C

Alien - Alien: Dead Orbit #1 - such amazing art

Avengers - #1 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Monday January 3rd

Black Manta #1 - not completely sure what’s going on, and think I regret buying the first five issues without reading the first

Swamp Thing #1 - volume 1 obviously

Bone - #1 - have started this wonderful series many times and always get distracted a few trades in, gonna finish it this time

Boom - Adventure Time #1

Tuesday January 4th

Shadow Doctor #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #2 - notes

Comixology - Mage #1 - notes

Comixology Unlimited - Peacemaker #1 - love the new TV series; this, not so much

Wednesday January 5th

Shadow Doctor #2 - notes

Swamp Thing #3 - notes

Conan - Conan the Barbarian #1 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Creepy/Eerie - Creepy #1 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Thursday January 6th

The Me You Love in the Dark #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #4 - notes

Dark Horse Digital - Resident Alien #1, Stranger Things #1 - notes

Friday January 7th

Strange Attractors #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #5 - notes

DC - Shazam #1 - C

digest - Dennis the Menace Pocket Full of Fun #39 (5)

Saturday January 8th

Almost American #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #6 - notes

FCBD - Stranger Things (2019)

Sunday January 9th

Beyond the Breach #2 - notes

Swamp Thing #7 - notes

Grendel - Grendel: Devil by the Deed - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Groupees - Red Sonja: Break the Skin (2)

Monday January 10th

Elvira Meets Vincent Price #1 - campy fun

Swamp Thing #8 - notes

Halloweenfest - Hawkeye (2021) - notes

Hellboy - Seed of Destruction #1 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Tuesday January 11th

Dark Ages #1 - not sure why I bought this Marvel event book, but it was alright

Swamp Thing #9 - notes

Hoopla - I Luv Halloween volume 1 (9) - notes

horror - Harrow County #1

Wednesday January 12th

The Last Book You’ll Ever Read #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #10 - notes

Hulk - Immortal Hulk #1 - notes

Thursday January 13th

Lucky Devil #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #11 - notes

humor - Plop #1 - my gateway into collecting comics

Friday January 14th

Marvel Voices Heritage #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #12 - notes

Humble Bundle - Revival #1 - Chunky app

Saturday January 15th

Giga #1 - beautiful

Swamp Thing #13 - notes

Image - Nailbiter #1 - C

Sunday January 16th

Giga #2 - notes

Swamp Thing #14 - notes

Justice League - The Brave and the Bold #28 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Monday January 17th

Giga #3 - notes

Swamp Thing #15 - notes

magazine - Mad #22 - notes

Tuesday January 18th

Giga #4 - engaging story and jaw dropping art

Swamp Thing #16 - notes

manga - Astro Boy vol 1-2, pg 1-205 (10) - DH app

Wednesday January 19th

Thor #20 - Bought this for a friend who couldn’t find it at cover price. It’s one of those silly ‘new character introduction so let’s charge quadruple on day one’ books. Decent, but not worth more than cover.

Swamp Thing #17 - notes

Marvel - Hawkeye #1 - C

Thursday January 20th

Nita Hawe’s Nightmare Blog #1 - Enjoyed it, but will likely wait for digital sales/collections.

Swamp Thing #18 - notes

Micronauts/Rom - Micronuts #1 - starting a monthly read through of the classic originals

Friday January 21st

Tales from the Dead Astronaut #1 - notes

Swamp Thing #19 - notes

Nexus - Nexus #1 - DH app

Saturday January 22nd

My Bad #1 - more Mark Russell humor; I’m sure I’ll overdose on it eventually, but haven’t read much of his stuff yet

Swamp Thing #20 - notes

original graphic novel - Zatanna and the House of Secrets () - too small

Sunday January 23rd

Shadow Doctor #3 - loving this series

Swamp Thing #21 - notes

physical collection - The A-Team: Shotgun Wedding - slightly entertaining, but going into the trade/sell pile

Monday January 24th

Elvira Meets Vincent Price #2 - notes

Swamp Thing #22 - notes

promotional - DC Sampler #1 (1983) - notes

Tuesday January 25th

Elvira Meets Vincent Price #3 - notes

Swamp Thing #23 - notes

Scout - A King’s Vengeance #1 - notes

Star Trek - Star Trek: Boldly Go #1

Wednesday January 26th

Elvira Meets Vincent Price #4 - notes

Swamp Thing #24 - notes

Star Wars - Star Wars #1 - notes

Story Bundle - Twilight Zone #1-5 (5)

3D - Speed Racer 3-D #1

Thursday January 27th

Bolero #1 (2) - Blind buy based on a recommendation of my LCBS owner. Very interesting story setup, and lovely art. I’m in for another.

Brave and the Bold #122 - Swampy’s first appearance outside his own book, not counting his ‘House of’ precursors

treasury - SuperFriends () - notes

Twomorrows - Back Issue #1 ()

Friday January 28th

Duck Tales #1 - finding these reprints of recent IDW material at Dollar Tree

Challengers of the Unknown #83 - notes

Usagi - Usagi Yojimbo Classics #1 (2) - notes

Valiant - Harbinger #0-1 (2)

Saturday January 29th

The Rise of Ultraman #1 - notes

Challengers of the Unknown #84 - notes

issue # - notes

Sunday January 30th

The Rise of Ultraman #2 - notes

Challengers of the Unknown #85 - notes

issue # - notes

Monday January 31st

The Rise of Ultraman #3 - notes

[b]Challengers of the Unknown #86[/ b] - notes

issue # - notes
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (03-17-22)