Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

So sad

Old 03-13-22, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So sad

I lost my comic book collection of over 2,000 vintage 1980s comics when our shit landlord forced us to move out after 10 years of being good tenants. So bummed!
Old 03-13-22, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: So sad

Originally Posted by zinpgh
I lost my comic book collection of over 2,000 vintage 1980s comics when our shit landlord forced us to move out after 10 years of being good tenants. So bummed!
Why did you lose the comics? Were you not allowed time enough to pack??
Old 03-16-22, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Why did you lose the comics? Were you not allowed time enough to pack??
Right?

I mean, can the landlord hold the comics hostage in lieu of rent?
Old 03-16-22, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Sounds awful, I feel sorry for you. Some landlords can be miserable. While I wouldn't be happy, I mentally prepared myself years ago losing my collection when a flood in the basement came very close to ruining it.
Old 03-16-22, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Seems like only part of the story here.
Old 03-17-22, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Sounds awful, I feel sorry for you. Some landlords can be miserable. While I wouldn't be happy, I mentally prepared myself years ago losing my collection when a flood in the basement came very close to ruining it.
I think I mentioned that I sold my entire 25yr collection of DVDs/BluRays/CDs (2000+) and Comics (5000) for $600 when I moved to my new place 5 yrs ago. Nobody wanted them, I’d never get to watching/reading them and I had nowhere to keep them. I figured I would let someone else enjoy them. I sold the most valuable ones on eBay for ~$3000 total. I must have spend at least 10x as much on them. Took the comic book store guy who bought them 6hrs to get them all out of my apartment and he let me keep whatever I wanted.

It felt good to unburden myself of so much stuff, and yet I’ve still managed to accumulate a lot of crap in my new place (although I must admit I’ve been pretty good about buying any new books and disks).
Old 03-17-22, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I think I mentioned that I sold my entire 25yr collection of DVDs/BluRays/CDs (2000+) and Comics (5000) for $600 when I moved to my new place 5 yrs ago. Nobody wanted them, I’d never get to watching/reading them and I had nowhere to keep them. I figured I would let someone else enjoy them. I sold the most valuable ones on eBay for ~$3000 total. I must have spend at least 10x as much on them. Took the comic book store guy who bought them 6hrs to get them all out of my apartment and he let me keep whatever I wanted.

It felt good to unburden myself of so much stuff, and yet I’ve still managed to accumulate a lot of crap in my new place (although I must admit I’ve been pretty good about buying any new books and disks).
I hear you - a large collection can weigh on you and the stuff just starts sitting there collecting dust. I know I have many DVDs I'll never use and I wonder if anyone will ever get to enjoy them.
Old 03-17-22, 09:20 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Seems like only part of the story here.
Agreed. Needs more information.
Old 03-17-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

We moved recently and I did the same thing... for the regular floppies especially, I just wanted to read them and there are way more convenient (legal) methods to read the vast majority of what I've collected, plus I hadn't broken into those boxes for a long time. But nobody wanted them, I just donated the vast majority and tossed some of the damaged stuff. Heck, even if I just kept the omnibus and bigger hardcovers I probably have way more than I'd ever re-read, so I'm considering downsizing the tpbs as well.
Old 03-17-22, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
We moved recently and I did the same thing... for the regular floppies especially, I just wanted to read them and there are way more convenient (legal) methods to read the vast majority of what I've collected, plus I hadn't broken into those boxes for a long time. But nobody wanted them, I just donated the vast majority and tossed some of the damaged stuff. Heck, even if I just kept the omnibus and bigger hardcovers I probably have way more than I'd ever re-read, so I'm considering downsizing the tpbs as well.
I have a box in the closet with some coffee table books and deluxe hardcovers like Kingdom Come and that's basically all I kept. The only discs I still have are about 50 or so 4k discs and now I've pretty much stopped purchasing those as well (I'm kind of sorry I bought those). I have a ton of crap I need to sell on eBay but it's too much bother.