Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Opinions wanted on the Annihilation saga/omnibus

Old 12-04-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Opinions wanted on the Annihilation saga/omnibus

I don't have much experience at all with modern Marvel books. And, being an old fart, by modern I mean from about the dawn of the Image era to now.
But I've been seeing some chatter about this book ever since the reprint was announced. It seems to have been popular content, and the people that like it seem to love it.
From what I can gather it's pre-origin material that contributed to the formation of the modern Guardians Of The Galaxy, which is what the MCU loosely cribbed from for the movies.
While I love those films, I'm kind of apathetic about exploring their comic origin roots. Unless the material is just really strong in and of itself- witty, entertaining, etc

I have to confess my plate is pretty full right now, but I figure with it currently available at over 50% off I'd be remiss not to consider grabbing it. That is, if the material really is that good.

So what do you guys think?
Old 12-04-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Opinions wanted on the Annihilation saga/omnibus

It is pre-origin material, in particular the first Annihilation series basically reintroduced Star Lord and Drax (and not really specific to the movie Guardians, Nova). In a time when the earth bound books were mired in stuff like Civil War, it was basically a bunch of cosmic mini series that connected that let creators take established Marvel cosmic characters and go crazy. If you like cosmic Marvel (Silver Surfer, Nova, Kree and Skrulls, Thanos, etc.) and you like sci fi I think it's a decent read. However, the movie Guardians took great liberties with the characters and they are almost unrecognizable, even the reimagined ones, so if you go in looking for more of that, you might be disappointed.

I'm a big fan of the Nova Corps and love me some Dick Rider (yeah, I know, unfortunate name) so I loved it all. I also liked the original Guardians of the Galaxy (a book that Image founder Jim Valentino came from when he left to found Image) so that helped.
Old 12-04-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a huge fan of the Annihilation Saga and the whole cosmic run of Abnett and Lanning. It's probably the best run of all the cosmic characters since Jim Starlin was playing with these characters. One of the most fun things is that they took third-fourth tier and relatively unknown characters and made them a household brand. Characters like Darkhawk and Quasar became extremely interesting. The formation of the Guardians was extremely fun. Still, just like fujishg said, the movies are loosely based on the series. In the comic book, while still having some humor, is still an action adventure sci fi series.
Old 12-04-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's really different from the 80's run of cosmic Marvel (Infinity Gauntlet, Silver Surfer, Galactus Heralds, etc.) because it's more grounded sci-fi, if that's a word. Like you'd think with Quasar, the Nova Corps, the Silver Surfer and the other (good) ex heralds of Galactus, Lilandra's Imperial Guard and others roaming around, the universe would be a pretty safe place, but they are basically all in a war for their lives and these minor characters play a big part. And one of the benefits of taking these minor characters is that it's easier to give them a personality from whole cloth.

Like Groot dates back to a 1960 Lee/Kirby comic, fought the Hulk in a 1976 annual, and then comes out of nowhere here.

Abnett and Lanning were involved early with Nova but I think the central story in the first Annihilation is Kieth Giffen. They took over from the sequel, Annihilation: Conquest, though. Notably all three were notable creators in DC's Legion of Superheroes comics.
Old 12-05-19, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The entire Abnett/Lanning cosmic series is amazing. Jump in!
Old 12-05-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm tempted.

The Guardians characters bearing less of a resemblance to their film counterparts would actually be a selling point for me. Not that I don't like them in the films- just that it would make the books feel even fresher.
The most compelling aspect to me is the presence of Galactus. I would appreciate seeing how he's handled in a modern way.

As far as the cosmic stuff goes, I've never really delved into it very far. My only exposure is early SS and whenever these character would pop up in an X-men or FF issue in the early 80's. Once Secret Wars rolled in, I was ready to check out, and have only picked up odd issues (for the art) here and there, until just recently. Over the last couple years I've been more receptive to newer stuff, and am currently going through some of the Aaron run on Thor.

One of the reviewers for this commented that this was their introduction to Marvel, and she didn't feel lost or that she needed a stack of back issues to reference what was going on. That's appealing to me.

I'll probably wait until Tuesday, just before they flip the weeks books, to make up my mind. I was leaning to passing on it, but you guys may have teetering back the other way now
Old 12-05-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Annihilation is probably the best thing Marvel has done in the last several years.
Old 12-07-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My current CC bill cycle ends Sunday. The demarcation is more psychological than anything, but not having to technically pay for it till the first week of February still seems appealing.

I went over to Cheap Graphic Novels to check their release schedule for the next month. I wanted to make sure there was nothing else big in between this and the Conan Omni in January. Anything that might give me pause on dropping the money on Annihilation.

Unfortunately I got sidetracked by their Humanoids BF sale listings. One of the Moebius oversized Incal books was $9.95, and some other titles I'd had my eye on were under $5. More stuff I probably don't need, but so hard to pass up at those prices. The Moebius has an $80 mspr, for Pete's sake. Clockwerxs looked enticing too, but was unfortunately sold out.