Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Tom King Off Batman?

Old 05-22-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tom King Off Batman?

A rumor is brewing that Tom King is being dropped from Batman as of #85. I wasn't a fan of his run and dropped it early on but if this is true, it kind of sucks how quick this happened.

DC/Warner changes its mind quicker than it changes its socks.

Rumour – Tom King Taken Off Batman? Last Issue Will Be #85?

Bleeding Cool has been informed by multiple senior industry sources that the current writer of DC Comics’ twice-monthly leading title Batman, Tom King, is to leave the series with issue 85 – and that this was not his decision. King retains an exclusive contract with DC Comics and will likely be working on other projects for the publisher, but not the ongoing Batman series. We hear that his last issue with be #85, which would take him up to the end of 2019.

We understand that this decision went down during Megacon in Orlando this past weekend. No one is going on the record, no one is giving unqualified confirmation, but significant people appear to believe this just went down. We await further details.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ue-will-be-85/
Old 05-22-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Tom King Off Batman?

I read this too and heard from several sources the same rumor. I also heard that if this happens, Tom King will ask for changes in the exclusivity of his contract.

Honestly, the Knightmares arc wasn't bad but went on too long. This the big problem with DC using the approach of writing story arcs for 5 issues instead of a natural run of 2-3 issues.
Old 05-22-19, 10:53 AM

It seems this is real

Old 05-22-19, 11:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Old 05-22-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has been rumored that Bendis will take over Batman when King's run ended. King's time on Batman has been divisive, especially after the wedding fiasco. Probably too much filler and padding when looking back for 100 planned issues.

Batman is also DC's golden goose. How have sales been lately on Batman? I know many thought the latest arc dragged on and on.
Old 05-22-19, 06:13 PM

Batman sales dropped from 100K to 88K in the last month. At the same time, Immortal Hulk surpassed Batman in sales. If the bean counters at DC are worried, they need to understand that the Immortal Hulk thing is an anomaly, as Marvel allowed retailers to do their own variants for issues 16, 17 and now 18.

I won't like Bendis on Batman. Bendis is pretty good with own creations but with established characters, he sucks. Bendis' been living on the fame he created with Alias and Ultimate Spider-Man and the revamp of Avengers, but everything he has touched, like X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man and now Superman, he has fucked by disrespecting what previous writers established and dismissing it in a whim. I have a feeling more people will drop Batman if Bendis take on the book.
Old 05-22-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read King said the next story arc would set up a new status quo for Batman to wrap up his 100 issue run. Guess DC didn't want to go with than new status quo?
Old 05-23-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Batman sales dropped from 100K to 88K in the last month. At the same time, Immortal Hulk surpassed Batman in sales. If the bean counters at DC are worried, they need to understand that the Immortal Hulk thing is an anomaly, as Marvel allowed retailers to do their own variants for issues 16, 17 and now 18.

I won't like Bendis on Batman. Bendis is pretty good with own creations but with established characters, he sucks. Bendis' been living on the fame he created with Alias and Ultimate Spider-Man and the revamp of Avengers, but everything he has touched, like X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man and now Superman, he has fucked by disrespecting what previous writers established and dismissing it in a whim. I have a feeling more people will drop Batman if Bendis take on the book.
Bendis cares not for continuity, which is why he's always better off doing something like Ultimate Spider-Man where he can't step on established characters too much.

Some indications now that King is being given a Wally West solo book, and this might somehow tie into Doomsday Clock. I think they are about to already retcon Heroes In Crisis.
Old 05-24-19, 09:01 PM

Official. Tom King off Batman and moving on to a 12 issue series called Batman and Catwoman. Seriously, fuck DC for doing this.

Old 05-25-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was Kings #1 fan until issue #50. And the nightmare issues have been pure garbage. I think King works best in the mini series format, with obscure characters.
Old 05-25-19, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I was Kings #1 fan until issue #50. And the nightmare issues have been pure garbage. I think King works best in the mini series format, with obscure characters.
Felt the same way. Still, we are 3/4 till the run was supposed to end, so why now? Does DC really think that a replacement now in this part of the run is going to improve the sales of the book? By the way, like I mentioned before, I blame DC marketing and the idiot writer at the NYT more for the Batman #50 debacle than King himself. Issue 50 was the midpoint of the full story, so I can understand King not giving us closure then, but marketing fucked up big time by promoting a wedding that wasn't and then spoiling it for everyone. To me it's similar as when Jim Lee and Dan Didio fucked up the announcement of Justice League #50 (N52) saying that it was going to reveal the Joker's real name/origin and then the issue only revealed that there were 3 Jokers running around DC
Old 05-29-19, 08:08 PM

So now the reason for King being taken off Batman is that he will be writing the New Gods movie for WB, which will be directed by Ava DuVernay
Old 05-30-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I'm sure that's what happened.
Old 05-30-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Bendis cares not for continuity, which is why he's always better off doing something like Ultimate Spider-Man where he can't step on established characters too much.

Some indications now that King is being given a Wally West solo book, and this might somehow tie into Doomsday Clock. I think they are about to already retcon Heroes In Crisis.
Wait, isn't King the writer for Heroes in Crisis where they destroyed Wally? I hope this Batman and Catwoman book means that he's staying far away from Wally West.
Old 05-30-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wally thing was a rumor before they announced the Bat/Cat book. I'm thinking it's fake, though all reports are that Wally may get his own book by someone. DC's editorial seems to have changed their plans at some point over the last year, because rumors for a long time had Wally getting shipped to the Suicide Squad after Heroes in Crisis.
Old 05-30-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Wally thing was a rumor before they announced the Bat/Cat book. I'm thinking it's fake, though all reports are that Wally may get his own book by someone. DC's editorial seems to have changed their plans at some point over the last year, because rumors for a long time had Wally getting shipped to the Suicide Squad after Heroes in Crisis.
So Wally was supposed to be Penance?
Old 06-07-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks issue was trash. You can either skip it, or skip the entire series and just read it.

Meanwhile:
Despite Setback, Tom King Still Plans to Redefine Batman for a Generation

Writers these days. More concerned with leaving their mark, than just writing a good story.
Old 06-07-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This weeks issue was trash. You can either skip it, or skip the entire series and just read it.

Meanwhile:

Writers these days. More concerned with leaving their mark, than just writing a good story.
What's with "this week's issue"? I'm not being combative, I'm just one of those people that read the collections as they come out, so I'm a little behind the times. I just read the 9th Batman volume by King and it was essentially just three issues, padded with an annual and another "special" issue.
Old 06-07-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a recap of the series so far, with a so-so fight scene throughout the issue.
Old 06-08-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile:

The only way King could still make a mark on Batman is two different outcomes - Bruce does marry Selina, or he knocks her up and they have a daughter named Helena together.

I'd say betting odds favor the latter. I don't think DC will ever allow them to get married in continuity after what happened to Superman's marriage. But they definitely would give Bruce another batcharacter they can use for yet another monthly book.