Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 02:13 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The Official Toys and Collectibles Thread

Not sure what size you need, but I have bought some of Malko's cases for Hot Wheels off Amazon. I have also gotten some of their VHS and Steelbook cases. They seem pretty sturdy and weren't too expensive. I saw that they also have cases for Pops, Star Wars Black series, and cases that would fit 3-3/4" Star Wars and G.I. Joes.
Old 03-10-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Just started collecting Gi Joe classified figures. Over the last 5 years or so I've rebought most of my WWF LJN and Hasbro collections from my youth but this is the first new figure line I've bought since the mid 90s. At least the current plan is to keep it just to Cobra with an exception for Jinx if they get to her. Her original figure was my first ever I think.

Really like them and glad there arent too many big purchases to catch up. The one exception is the Cobra Commander coming out with the Pulse Exclusive Hiss Tank later this year. How have they not made a basic Cobra Commander (hood or helmet, I like them both) years into this thing? Can't imagine how much theyre going to be going for one people start receiving the Hisses. I have no problem with people reselling toys and collectables for a profit but with this being such a key figure it'd be nice if they'd at least say when an alternative basic CC is going to come out. The resellers will still have plenty of buyers as it wont be the exact same as the exclusive one and buyers would be able to make a more informed decision. I would probably pay the Ebay price on one if its going to be a year or more wait but won't if it'll be less. I feel like it has to be less but then again I would have assumed they would have gone 70+ figures in without one so ....
Old 03-10-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
Not sure what size you need, but I have bought some of Malko's cases for Hot Wheels off Amazon. I have also gotten some of their VHS and Steelbook cases. They seem pretty sturdy and weren't too expensive. I saw that they also have cases for Pops, Star Wars Black series, and cases that would fit 3-3/4" Star Wars and G.I. Joes.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check them out
Old 03-10-23, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Just started collecting Gi Joe classified figures. Over the last 5 years or so I've rebought most of my WWF LJN and Hasbro collections from my youth but this is the first new figure line I've bought since the mid 90s. At least the current plan is to keep it just to Cobra with an exception for Jinx if they get to her. Her original figure was my first ever I think.

Really like them and glad there arent too many big purchases to catch up. The one exception is the Cobra Commander coming out with the Pulse Exclusive Hiss Tank later this year. How have they not made a basic Cobra Commander (hood or helmet, I like them both) years into this thing? Can't imagine how much theyre going to be going for one people start receiving the Hisses. I have no problem with people reselling toys and collectables for a profit but with this being such a key figure it'd be nice if they'd at least say when an alternative basic CC is going to come out. The resellers will still have plenty of buyers as it wont be the exact same as the exclusive one and buyers would be able to make a more informed decision. I would probably pay the Ebay price on one if its going to be a year or more wait but won't if it'll be less. I feel like it has to be less but then again I would have assumed they would have gone 70+ figures in without one so ....
Classified started up as "modernized" designs, which is why the initial lineup of Duke, Scarlett, Cobra Commander, etc. are way different than the 80's designs the line has morphed into. The HISS exclusive is based on some kind of variant (or variant cardback) and there's no doubt they'll release another version eventually (hopefully not as a Walmart exclusive), they just can't do it before the HISS is even out yet.

I like the line but my preference is vehicles and I'm not collecting vehicles in this scale, so I haven't gone all in.

BTW, if you haven't completely caught up, hasbropulse has a 30% off sale that includes some Classified figures including Sgt. Slaughter (it's 35% off if you have their membership, but if you have their membership I'm sure you know about the sale as well). Also includes a ton of Marvel Legends, Transformers, etc. Unfortunately 30% off barely brings it below what these figures cost before they hiked the prices up...
Old 03-10-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately the only thing listed I need that's still in stock is a Stormshadow and I'd need to spend $75 for the sale so would need to pick up some more stuff. The only other thing that interests me is the Viper 3 pack which is a great deal but I'm not sure if I want to get any Vipers.

Vipers are ok (had one as a kid) but I already have a Cobra Officer coming and preordered 2 of the Valkyrie 2 packs that come out in the fall to go with the officer. Will be getting 3 Crimson Guards to go with the Crimson twins at some point and I feel like two armies of just 5 and 3 will be enough for me and if it wasn't I'd be more likely to go BATs than Vipers for the third type of soldier which I like about the same amount as Vipers but are more diverse.

Also going against another purschase right now is I just got my first one two ish weeks ago and I already have 6 here and a 7th on the way so I should probably slow down a bit for my wallet and to stretch things out a bit as my end game isnt' all that far away to be honest. I'm just going to get 1 version of each regular cobra character, the two types of soldiers, and no Cobra La figures. I made a list and if I got everything I want thats out or announced including cobra commander from the hiss a it only comes out to like 15 guys and the 8 soldiers.

The sale goes on til the 19th. If both Stormshadow and the Vipers are there on Friday after I get paid I may change my mind and get them.

Does this kind of sale come up regularly at all on Pulse? Are there any other regular sales akin to like target buy 2 get 1 media, criterion 50% off, etc that apply to Hasbro stuff ?
Old 03-10-23, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately the only thing listed I need that's still in stock is a Stormshadow and I'd need to spend $75 for the sale so would need to pick up some more stuff. The only other thing that interests me is the Viper 3 pack which is a great deal but I'm not sure if I want to get any Vipers.

Vipers are ok (had one as a kid) but I already have a Cobra Officer coming and preordered 2 of the Valkyrie 2 packs that come out in the fall to go with the officer. Will be getting 3 Crimson Guards to go with the Crimson twins at some point and I feel like two armies of just 5 and 3 will be enough for me and if it wasn't I'd be more likely to go BATs than Vipers for the third type of soldier which I like about the same amount as Vipers but are more diverse.

Also going against another purschase right now is I just got my first one two ish weeks ago and I already have 6 here and a 7th on the way so I should probably slow down a bit for my wallet and to stretch things out a bit as my end game isnt' all that far away to be honest. I'm just going to get 1 version of each regular cobra character, the two types of soldiers, and no Cobra La figures. I made a list and if I got everything I want thats out or announced including cobra commander from the hiss a it only comes out to like 15 guys and the 8 soldiers.

The sale goes on til the 19th. If both Stormshadow and the Vipers are there on Friday after I get paid I may change my mind and get them.

Does this kind of sale come up regularly at all on Pulse? Are there any other regular sales akin to like target buy 2 get 1 media, criterion 50% off, etc that apply to Hasbro stuff ?
I think they have it maybe once a year, and then black friday they do a different sale? It's not a regular thing at all, I think by design because then everyone would just wait for the sale (and I swear the discount was higher last time).

Amazon also had some decent deals on Classified around Xmas (like regular figures for around 17 bucks) so look for that as well. Seems like they finally got stock sorted out after a lot of the line (particularly the Target exclusives) were almost impossible to find and characters like Major Bludd were being scalped hard.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (03-10-23)
Old 03-10-23, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again for all the info ! Half the battle and all that jazz.
Old 03-15-23, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Seems like they finally got stock sorted out after a lot of the line (particularly the Target exclusives) were almost impossible to find and characters like Major Bludd were being scalped hard.
Major Bludd was a weird release cause it was the first of the Target exclusives that seemed easy to get. I remember going to Target the morning that the first wave of the Cobra Island exclusives were released, and even though I was there about 15 minutes after opening I only found the CI Roadblock and it was in the wrong place. I only got Beachhead by check in the website for in store availability daily for like 2 months and getting lucky, the rest I was able to order through a Target fan event where they reissued them. But Major Bludd was easily available when he was released. It seemed my store had him available for months, then he disappeared and prices jumped up. Now it seems that Target exclusives are going to be repaints only, and that's great cause with the price increase I have decided to only get new sculpts or characters, and skip most repaints.

I was all in on Classified, but being unable to get the Zartan exclusive from a couple of years ago kind of stopped that. But the Supreme Cobra Commander, Dr. Mindbender, and Serpentor exclusives are all very nice, and the Air Chariot that came with Serpentor is impressively large. I had backed the HISS, so I am actually kind of scared to have to figure out a place for it when it arrives and I hope that they do not do any more large vehicles for this line. But they will probably do a Thunder Machine and an AWE Striker.
Old 03-15-23, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I never did get Beach head and it was a pain in the rear to get Baroness and bike. I'm halfway out of the line (and couldn't justify that HISS tank no matter how much I wanted it) but I kinda really want that Range Viper. Not looking forward to dealing with Walmart though.
Old 03-15-23, 10:14 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I think the Classified series looks amazing, but I decided not to collect them for three reasons:

1. The price is too high for me per figure, unfortunately. I think Big Bad Toy Store routinely has these right around $25, give or take, but I just can't get there.

2. I also don't have storage or a good place to display these. I'm a toy opener, so I'd want a nice shelf and the more that come out, the more you want, and the more space you need.

3. I have hundreds of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero 25th Anniversary Collection that ran from 2007-2010. They're all well-displayed in a dedicated Billy bookcase with glass doors to keep them dust-free and I think it's great. That was a big investment, more money than I should've spent total, but it's awesome to have a huge display of 20+ Cobra Troopers and 20+ Crimson Guard flanking the Cobra high command. That display is more than enough for me.

If people like, I can try to post some photos of that here.
Old 03-15-23, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the same story for me with Star Wars Black. I had a whole bunch of 3 3/4 scale figures and after being tempted by one wave figured out I had no desire to collect everything again in a bigger scale. Like GI Joe, a lot of nostalgia for me is the vehicles and it just wasn't feasible at this scale (which is kind of why they went to a smaller scale in the late 70s/80s).

Joe is similar, I really wish they went back to 3 3/4 and they probably will someday. But man the nostalgia, especially after they shifted the design of the line to classic, is strong, and I especially love army builders. And when you compare the accessories to what you get with other Hasbro lines especially right now, it's like night and day. I'm kind of lucky that while they're not as hard to get as they were before, that I never see something like BATs or Alley Vipers in stock when perusing Target because I think the temptation would be big.
Old 03-15-23, 11:12 AM

Yeah I never did get Beach head and it was a pain in the rear to get Baroness and bike. I'm halfway out of the line (and couldn't justify that HISS tank no matter how much I wanted it) but I kinda really want that Range Viper. Not looking forward to dealing with Walmart though.
A lot of the Target exclusives have shown up on BBTS. Target had cancelled my preorder for Breaker and the RAM Cycle, and BBTS was the only reason I was able to get one.
Walmart having Joe exclusives is worrisome, I have had things cancelled through them, but I was able to get the retro carded Gung Ho and lately I have been seeing the other 3 retro carded figures at my 2 local WM stores. I a perfect world exclusives would be repaints and not the only way to get a character. Profit Director Destro is a prime example of it. The regular version was released first, then the PD Destro was an exclusive that most people could skip and not have a problem missing, since it's a repaint with a few extra accessories.
Old 03-15-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Classified is low key the best toy line right now. Joe is my favorite toy and I am glad I stuck with Classified after its rocky start.

And yeah, Serpentor is huge. Spoiler for size:
Spoiler:

Last edited by stingermck; 03-15-23 at 11:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stingermck:
PhantomStranger (03-18-23), Spiderbite (03-17-23), story (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 01:43 PM

I see you were lucky enough to get the light blue regal Cobra Commander. Every time I tried to order that variant I was unsuccessful and just settled for the regular version.
Old 03-15-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
I see you were lucky enough to get the light blue regal Cobra Commander. Every time I tried to order that variant I was unsuccessful and just settled for the regular version.
Cobra Commander is my dude, it's whatever it takes to get his releases
Old 03-16-23, 08:18 AM

What about Supreme Cobra Commander? I like his cape but I'm not too thrilled with his darker paint scheme. I am glad I have him though.
Old 03-16-23, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The one "classic" design we're never getting is hooded CC though...
Old 03-16-23, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way Walmart Collector Con is up.
https://www.walmart.com/shop/walmart-collector-con

Joe Classified Range Viper and Nightforce Big Ben are up for 1 day shipping.
Old 03-16-23, 10:41 AM

Yeah, but they aren't going to ship until September. But at least I don't have to go and hunt for them in stores and hope I get lucky.
Old 03-16-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The one "classic" design we're never getting is hooded CC though...
Why is that? Have seen a couple of fan made head sculptures of him that look pretty good.
Old 03-16-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cause some dumb fuck convinced Hasbro that the hood makes Cobra Commander look like KKK

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura recently shared that one of the main reasons they changed the look of Cobra Commander in G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra was because he thought the original depiction of the character resembled a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Bonaventura revealed as much when asked if an origin story for the character was in the works. "It's so funny. You know what? I have this funny reaction about Cobra Commander," the producer told UPROXX. "Which is, he kind of looks like he's from the KKK." Di Bonaventura also confirmed that they added the helmet and visor on the version of the Commander portrayed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt in The Rise of Cobra to avoid the backlash.

"I probably was the first person who went, 'Are you guys sure? Doesn't he look a little, like from the KKK?'" he explained. "And everybody's looking at me like, 'How dare you say that.'"
And yeah, you were the first person to notice, and probably the only.

So now there's a ban on the hood.
Old 03-16-23, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But they kept the part of him being the head of a terrorist organization? ….
Old 03-17-23, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Cause some dumb fuck convinced Hasbro that the hood makes Cobra Commander look like KKK

And yeah, you were the first person to notice, and probably the only.

So now there's a ban on the hood.
And if there was any coincidence, so what? Are we supposed to root for Cobra? Both Cobra and the KKK are bad guys, so why does he care what the hood looks like?
Old 03-18-23, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I hope nobody informs Hasbro that the Cobra organization's aesthetic was drawn from the Nazis. Cobra Commander's uniform, the helmets of Cobra soldiers, Baroness' (bad) German accent.

Though with Larry Hama's involvement, Cobra was probably more inspired by HYDRA than anything else.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-31-23 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There's a Kickstarter running for a dancing Peacemaker bobblehead:

Dancing Peacemaker Bobble Figure by Cryptozoic Entertainment — Kickstarter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.