Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Tom King Off Batman?

Old 06-24-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Tom King Off Batman?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Frankly, King's run makes Snyder's Batman work look better. Snyder probably is very happy about how King's run has unfolded.
Hmm... Didn't care for Snyder's work on Batman. Or any of his work truth be told. Not sure anyone could make him look better.
Old 08-20-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well based on tomorrows Batman 77 spoilers that have leaked, King better run for the hills.

Huge spoiler image here

Spoiler:

Old 08-20-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More or less confirms to me that DC is rebooting within the next 18 months after Doomsday Clock ends. Can't be anything as bad as this coming Legion reset.
Old 08-20-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Well based on tomorrows Batman 77 spoilers that have leaked, King better run for the hills.

Huge spoiler image here

Spoiler:

Saw that this afternoon and I imagine this is the big change that AT&T was fighting against and why the King run got cut short. Funny thing is that Snyder was supposed to be pulling this off back in the Batman #50 from the New 52 but plans were changed with the Rebirth looming in.

More or less confirms to me that DC is rebooting within the next 18 months after Doomsday Clock ends. Can't be anything as bad as this coming Legion reset.
The whole Legion thing is already causing headaches at DC. Instead of getting the characters that people have know for years, Bendis already decided to make some changes to race and they've gone back and forth. The first Legion preview showed Bouncing Boy as a black guy and Lighting Lad as a red-head white boy. Plans changed and now Bouncing Boy is a white kid and Lighting Lad is a black guy. Bendis is going to be Bendis and do things his own way, probably thworing away over 60 years of Legion characterization. It's fine, since the Legion hasn't been truly relevant since 1980 and had their brief moment of glory back when they did the animated series. I don't know if there is going to be a hard reboot or not at DC once again, but it seems that they are heading once more to a Crisis, which is the fucking thing that has held this company back for so long.

Old 08-20-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huge spoiler image here

Spoiler:

You know itíll be retconned at some point anyways so whatever.
Old 08-20-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This Alfred is probably a genetically altered actor that Bane hired and at some point, Batman will find the real Alfred while searching for his missing daughter.
Old 08-21-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Huge spoiler image here

Spoiler:

This issue is selling like hotcakes on Ebay right now at way over cover price. Definitely one to look out for tomorrow at the LCBS.
Old 08-21-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read

Spoiler:
Robin fucked up. It could be a total misdirect tho, like that was not the real Alfred or something, and just another way to break Bruce. But the way the scene plays out was awesome.
Old 08-21-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
The whole Legion thing is already causing headaches at DC. Instead of getting the characters that people have know for years, Bendis already decided to make some changes to race and they've gone back and forth. The first Legion preview showed Bouncing Boy as a black guy and Lighting Lad as a red-head white boy. Plans changed and now Bouncing Boy is a white kid and Lighting Lad is a black guy. Bendis is going to be Bendis and do things his own way, probably thworing away over 60 years of Legion characterization. It's fine, since the Legion hasn't been truly relevant since 1980 and had their brief moment of glory back when they did the animated series. I don't know if there is going to be a hard reboot or not at DC once again, but it seems that they are heading once more to a Crisis, which is the fucking thing that has held this company back for so long.
The race-swapping decisions are 100% made with Hollywood adaptations in mind - I imagine someone high up at DC told Bendis that Bouncing Boy had zero shot of making it to live-action, so race-swapping him was pointless.

Lightning Lad of course is one of the most prominent Legion members and certainly would get included in future live-action adaptations. Personally, I haven't been overwhelmed by the Legion costume redesigns. Most of the new designs are ugly and toss out decades of Legion history.

Old 08-21-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The race-swapping decisions are 100% made with Hollywood adaptations in mind - I imagine someone high up at DC told Bendis that Bouncing Boy had zero shot of making it to live-action, so race-swapping him was pointless.

Lightning Lad of course is one of the most prominent Legion members and certainly would get included in future live-action adaptations. Personally, I haven't been overwhelmed by the Legion costume redesigns. Most of the new designs are ugly and toss out decades of Legion history.
Bouncing Boy is actually pretty prominent on the team and wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in a live action movie (if there is ever one) as he has been on every single animated incarnation that the Legion shows up. I think the change in race is more to make some Legion members be like legacy characters. I wouldn't be surprised if they tie in the new Lightning Lad to Black Lightning. And Bendis does these changes because he really cares about diversity. People can say whatever they want about his writing, but he's honestly pro-diversity. Bendis is one of those guys who really feels that the comic books need to reflect the real world and that kids of all colors and races need to have a hero that looks like them.
Old 08-22-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe King is going to bring Alfred back as The Outsider.

Old 08-22-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by will travel View Post
Maybe King is going to bring Alfred back as The Outsider.

A friend of mine mentioned this. Last time we saw the Outsider was during Forever Evil.