Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Free Comic Book Day - May 4, 2019

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics
View Poll Results: Are you in or out for FCBD 2019?
Definitely in
31.25%
Probably in
37.50%
Maybe in, depending on my mood and schedule
18.75%
Probably out
12.50%
Definitely out
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Creating a new 2019 thread. I think last year I missed the entire event. Fact is I often don’t read the comics, and I can get a lot of them later digitally. And my LCS’ discounts on everything lost a lot of their appeal now that I’m primarily digital.

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/
Old 04-08-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day - May 4, 2019

Originally Posted by davidh777
Creating a new 2019 thread. I think last year I missed the entire event. Fact is I often don’t read the comics, and I can get a lot of them later digitally. And my LCS’ discounts on everything lost a lot of their appeal now that I’m primarily digital.

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/
Doesn't seem like they have too many interesting free comics from this years selection.
Old 04-08-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Nothing stands out to me as a must grab, but I’ll take my kids and let them pick stuff.
Old 04-09-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I always go with the kids and we pick out some free ones and grab a couple TPBs because my comic shop always has 20% off. I know I can get stuff cheaper online but I always 'throw them a bone' when they are having sales.
Old 04-09-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Vampirella 0 for me
Old 04-24-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just discovered a comic and toy store 40 miles from me, so I might check out free comic book day
Old 05-03-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

If anyone’s in the vicinity of Towanda, NY, Jim Starlin will be doing a FCBD signing tomorrow.
Old 05-05-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Did anyone here go? I was too busy with other things.
Old 05-05-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

The main thing I wanted was the The Tick and for some reason my store didn't get it I didn't get a chance to stop at the other local store until late in the day and they were already out of it.
As usual, I just picked up a few thing that looked interesting which will then just go in a box and quite possibly never touched again
Old 05-05-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Went to my LCBS and picked up The Tick, TMNT, Spawn and nine other free books. Was really disappointed they didn't have the Lulu, or Vampierlla book.

If your pet sensitive, might want to avoid reading Under The Moon.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 05-05-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-05-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

I went - not for the free stuff, but to find a few Superman issues (I recently started collecting again ). Turns out the store was having a 75% off back issues sale!!! I ended up buying almost 100 comics!

Oh, and Rob Liefeld was there doing a signing (it was over when I got there because I intentionally went late to avoid it). He was still hanging around, and no one seemed to care.
Old 05-08-19, 06:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I went to my two local stores, and one store about 15 miles down the road. With my wife joining me for two of the stores, and a generous 10 book limit with food donation, I was able to score ~50 of the 53 books.

They had 25% off supplies, so usually the day I buy a couple drawer boxes, but they were out of stock.
Old 05-09-19, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Does anyone know when the free books hit comixology and/or Amazon?
Old 05-09-19, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
About 11 have already hit Comixology. Use my links in the wiki.

Edit to add:
Oops, wiki is in the digital thread. Here:
(recent?) Dark Horse freebie page

Comixology main freebie page

(Complete?) Dark Horse freebies page
https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/..._releases=True

spreadsheet of Humble/Groupees/Story bundles

free comics by release date, Comixology

Last edited by Trevor; 05-09-19 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I'm waiting for this. I got shitfaced Friday night and did not go get my stash Saturday.
Old 05-10-19, 12:47 AM

Received 1,894 Likes on 1,118 Posts

2016 and 2018 posts here, the kids are now 5 and 7. We went to the comic book store the week before so they could look around. We bought some Teen Titans TPBs that were already $9.99 so the price was right even without FCBD discounts the next weekend. They were holding a drawing contest by age bracket but we totally spaced on getting our entries in on time, oh well. They were obsessed with a giant Evil-Lyn statue where she had the mother of all wedgies and asked me why someone would dress like that and I honestly had no good answer. Spent lots of time fawning over vintage toys I'd never heard of that were $25 apiece and I honestly couldn't imagine why. Even with the next week's 20% off who's buying a plastic snow leopard for twenty bucks when in all of the nostalgia bouncing around in my head even I can't place that particular toy line?! My hunch is it will be there during FCBD still, and...

Yes, they're there. No, we didn't get them. No one did. It's way too overpriced. That evil Casper ghost friend is still there from last year's post, too, taking up quite a bit of shelf space. If it's there next year, I think I'll offer to take it off their hands for half price. This year we got there a little later than usual and missed out on local artists doing drawings, which is a bummer because that had become a tradition, of sorts. They were both trying to pick which Star Wars characters they wanted this time for the artwork, but it was all for naught. One said Boba Fett, and the other said Jar Jar Binks because I finally broke down and showed them The Phantom Menace, which of course they loved. Whatever. Anyway, there were two young women cosplaying as Stormtroopers wandering the aisles. Turns out they were doing a 24-hour road trip, hitting up shops across Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota, something like that. Sounds like they'd had quite the journey. They were there for maybe 30 minutes and moved on. We didn't get a photo but the girls had fun with them.

I ended up picking up a small handful of G.I. Joe comic books for 50% off (I have around 145 issues of the original 155-issue run, though I've never actually read the final issue!) and the kids got TPBs: The Amazing World of Gumball and Adventure Time, if I recall correctly, I'd have to run upstairs and double-check. One snuck a vintage Mulan toy onto the counter without me noticing and I didn't see it until I peeked in the bag on the way out. Clever girl. The other got a $1 lightsaber (Blade Builder with a weird handle, must be from Rebels, or something) that was in the $1 toy bin because the blade was broken. But it wasn't, it's just that the extension pieces were out of order. Easily fixable, so that was a nice find. We got some small buttons, too, including a Dr. Who button for mom.

One last story: last week, my 5-year-old asked me about a life-size facehugger statue, all splayed out and ready to ram its ovapositor down your throat to lay its precious eggs in your chest. I told her what it was and what it did. She said that sounded cool. I emphasized the movie was too scary for kids and too bloody so no way. She said fine. Cut to FCBD. Walking around the same store, I hear her say, "What's that shirt? It's gross!" I look over and the shirt on the end of the rack is a larger-than-life chestburster covered in blood and seemingly bursting out a big blood patch on the shirt. I said, do you remember when you asked about the facehugger last week? This is what hatches from the eggs it lays, they call it a chestburster. She said okay, now she understands why I said the movie isn't for kids. I agreed. On the way home, she said she really, really wants to see Alien now. She must think I'm a monster. Not until your six, sweetie...
Old 03-19-20, 09:44 AM

I guess this year’s event is in jeopardy.

Had a FCBD related dream last night, set in a non-pandemic world. Was at an event at the local Sears, where ~10 kids were selected to get first dibs at a table full of books, the night before FCBD. They got ten books each, and the selections included several hardcovers (even larger than the nice Archai ones a few years back). A crowd was watching, and I tried to tell a kid I was friendly with to pick out one particular book for me, but he couldn’t hear me in the chaos.

After these kids selected their books and were led up some stairs out of the way, they announced that the crowd could stay in the store overnight for the official event the next morning. My wife left, and I camped out, making it to first in line. In the morning, we noticed the displays had been moved, and were on display deep inside the store. To satisfy the murmuring crowd, the store manager announced that everyone who spent the night would have $1000 to spend anywhere in the Sears, with an hour time limit. Mass chaos and people rushed around, most still focused on finding the comics. I took a wrong turn and had to fight my way thru a very crowded gaming lan section of the store, with several rows of computer stations set up and kids playing. I was struggling thru the tightly spaced chairs and knew that I’d miss my chance at this one particular hardcover I wanted, an overseas Tarzan collection.

Don’t think I went to bed thinking about Sears or FCBD or Tarzan; but this was the most vivid dream I’ve had in quite awhile.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (03-19-20)
Old 03-20-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I guess it gets pushed back to the Fall this year. I highly doubt it gets pulled off in May.