Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

When did Batman replace Superman as DC's flagship character?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

When did Batman replace Superman as DC's flagship character?

Old 02-01-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When did Batman replace Superman as DC's flagship character?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The whole point of Superman is that he always does the right thing, has an inner nobility, and is the moral center of the DC universe. The people who get Harley Quinn tattoos don't want to read stories about someone like that. There isn't a lot writers can do to bridge that gap.
Grant Morrison did it spectacularly in All Star Superman. I still marvel at how easily he embraced the “big blue boy scout” trope and made him relevant and cool.
Old 02-01-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Grant Morrison did it spectacularly in All Star Superman. I still marvel at how easily he embraced the “big blue boy scout” trope and made him relevant and cool.
Then Morrison fucked it up on Action Comics.
Old 02-02-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I bought most of that run as it came out. It was definitely one of the best Superman runs in awhile, but I had already read Alan Moore's Supreme, which came out a decade earlier, and it seemed like he was following Moore's blueprint on how to do a modern Superman story with Silver Age sensibilities. I thought Supreme was a far more satisfying read, despite the inconsistent art.

But this issue got to me:

And the Lex issue was was great comedy.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Then Morrison fucked it up on Action Comics.
The presentation of All-Star Superman looked so new and exciting, and yet the New 52 Action Comics looked very generic, and it didn't help that they introduced Superman in shirt and jeans with a towel tied around his neck. The stories seemed like they had some interesting concepts but not so good execution.
The Krypto back-up story was really memorable.
Old 02-02-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many hardcore Superman fans believe that Supreme run by Alan Moore is actually the best post-Crisis Superman story. It's a shame that DC pissed off Moore so much with Watchmen that they lost his services. That Supreme run could have been done just as easily at DC using Superman instead.

The Triangle Era is consistently decent, but it doesn't have many classic moments I can recall other than the obvious. Byrne's Superman run actually had several key moments I remember to this day, even if I don't automatically love the entire run.
Old 02-05-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batman has more villains than most super heroes that I can think of at the moment. The 60's tv show is a classic, plus other than Batman and Robin, all of the Batman films have been pretty darn good. Superman has really one villain the general public can name and that Luthor. I never understood after Superman and Superman II being so good, who thought it was a good idea to cast Richard Pryor in Superman III? IMO, that was the beginning of the end for Supes. I won't even mention Superman IV.
Old 02-05-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Batman has more villains than most super heroes that I can think of at the moment. The 60's tv show is a classic, plus other than Batman and Robin, all of the Batman films have been pretty darn good. Superman has really one villain the general public can name and that Luthor. I never understood after Superman and Superman II being so good, who thought it was a good idea to cast Richard Pryor in Superman III? IMO, that was the beginning of the end for Supes. I won't even mention Superman IV.
If you believe the stories, Pryor begged to be in the Superman movie. He was apparently a huge Superman fan and this was right around the period when he was a real Hollywood star. I agree his casting was a mistake because it pulled the movie into a much more comedic direction. The villain at the end was orginally going to be Brainiac.

Reign of the Supermen, sequel to The Death of Superman, came out this week.

Reign Of The Supermen Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com