Reload this Page >

DC partners with Walmart

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC partners with Walmart

Old 06-23-20, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: DC partners with Walmart

Both WMs in my area removed all the DC giants that were in stock. I wouldn't be surprised that these are repackaged and sold at WM again or that we see them at Ollies down the road.
Old 06-23-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Personally, I dislike those comic packs unless they're super cheap. I haven't read the comics included in the packs but very few modern superhero comics tell a decent story in one issue, and then even if it's interesting enough to track down more it's difficult to do so just going to a comic store (though you can always get the issues digitally). Are fans buying them to try to get the variants?
Old 06-23-20, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Personally, I dislike those comic packs unless they're super cheap. I haven't read the comics included in the packs but very few modern superhero comics tell a decent story in one issue, and then even if it's interesting enough to track down more it's difficult to do so just going to a comic store (though you can always get the issues digitally). Are fans buying them to try to get the variants?
Fans are buying them for the variants and at least on the Marvel ones, the chance to score a recent second print that has skyrocketed on ebay. I feel the price for these 4 packs still too high as it's a little over $2 per issue. I preferred the packs they had done several years ago which included 1st issues of Rebirth series, which at least served as an intro for a new reader. The packs at Ollies and Five Below actually offer better bang for your buck at it usually comes out a $1 per issue.
Old 06-23-20, 11:05 AM
Banned

Forgot to mention that some people are buying for the long term speculation. Some of the multipacks from Toys R Us, Whitman, Woolworths, K-Mart, KB Toys and other places that used to sell them have become expensive collectibles as they have 3rd and 4th prints of some books and have become harder to find for collectors. Some collector's feel that the multipacks will have the same value in 20 years so they are buying to store them.
Old 06-23-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this is a rant but this industry is so dead if we're replacing things designed to draw in new readers (though I know a lot of collectors also went for them) and replacing them with stuff that speculators are going to go through. Are these truly blind bagged or are they going to be picked over and the scraps are just going to languish?
Old 06-23-20, 12:24 PM
Banned

I know this is a rant but this industry is so dead if we're replacing things designed to draw in new readers (though I know a lot of collectors also went for them) and replacing them with stuff that speculators are going to go through. Are these truly blind bagged or are they going to be picked over and the scraps are just going to languish?
After the initial ransack in which people were cutting open the Marvel 3 packs to get the valuable books, they decided from then on to put the same 3 books in each pack. DC has followed suit with this new 4 packs at WM and increased the availability to prevent collector's from hoarding these new products. Still, the way is being done, placing them in a pretty dead area of the store, is what prevents potential newer readers from getting them. That and the price point.
Old 06-23-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
After the initial ransack in which people were cutting open the Marvel 3 packs to get the valuable books, they decided from then on to put the same 3 books in each pack. DC has followed suit with this new 4 packs at WM and increased the availability to prevent collector's from hoarding these new products. Still, the way is being done, placing them in a pretty dead area of the store, is what prevents potential newer readers from getting them. That and the price point.
Aren't the variants different in the packs, though, or is it always the same variant?
Old 06-23-20, 02:38 PM
Banned

Aren't the variants different in the packs, though, or is it always the same variant?
For Marvel, it is, in that the front book is a WM exclusive variant because it has a new cover or a different UPC code. And yes, each pack will have a variant on the front.
Old 06-23-20, 07:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Yeah, this blows.
Old 06-25-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Not every location has pulled the Giants. Came across one location that even had a mix of older stock.
Old 07-14-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Wonder Woman 1984 Release

Wonder Woman 1984 No. 1 will be released in Walmart stores Sept. 20, with copies available via comic book stores and digital retailers on Sept. 29. Wonder Woman 1984 the movie is currently scheduled for a theatrical release on Oct. 2.
Old 07-14-20, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Glad this is being done. Hopefully, there will be enough copies, not like the Detective Comics debacle.
Old 07-27-20, 07:25 PM
Banned

No new comics this month at Wal-Mart?
Old 07-29-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't see anything new today when I visited. Some old DC Giants and a few leftovers from the wrapped Marvel/DC comics.
Old 08-11-20, 07:51 PM
Banned

Wal-Mart has this Wonder Woman exclusive tpb called Her Greatest Victories on sale right now. I found several copies near the electronics/book section on a Wonder Woman 84 display.

Old 08-12-20, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ They did the same thing with Shazam when the movie came out.
Old 09-04-20, 08:41 PM
Banned

My local WM put out five new DC 3-packs, including one that has the WW84 issue. The front of the other packs have the A cover of Batman: The Adventure Continues 1, Cover A of Batman & the Outsiders #13, Cover B of Justice League #46 and I forgot the last one.

Old 09-11-20, 06:51 PM
Banned

Here's the content for each of the new DC 4-packs at Wal-Mart. The Batman and the Outsiders one is interesting because it includes the first print of Legion of Super-Heroes #6, a book that has been constantly selling for between $10-$20 as it's the first appearance of the Gold Lantern.

The Walmart Report: DC is Back, After 3 Months Away

Posted on September 10, 2020 | by Ian Melton | CommentsDC's departure from Diamond was the first big change that has come about, as other changes, such as the upcoming departure of many of DC's editorial staff, have grabbed a lot of attention. One change that didn't get quite as much attention was the change over of going from the DC Giant Line to DC four-packs available at Walmart. After almost two years having displays at Walmart, with new comics being up for sale every month without fail, DC released their first batch of five DC 4-packs, each with a backing board/mini-poster, in June. Since then, there has been nothing, likely due to all the changes. Now three months later, DC has finally put out five new four-packs for sale.

Five New Packs, Emphasis on DC and Batman

So like the last set, five packs were released late last week at Walmarts throughout the country. Each of the five packs contains four comics, one backing board with a part of the "poster" and costs about $9. Also, each pack contains the same mix of comics, so if one buys pack #1, the pack with Justice League #46 Variant Cover on top, has the same three comics behind it. Same for the other four packs. One difference from the last packs, though, is that the "poster" on the backing boards this time consists of four parts, with the poster included with pack #5 being a separate Wonder Woman image by Nicola Scott. Parts one through four from the other packs, when put together, make the Joker War image done by Jorge Jimenez for Batman #100, though formatted and streamlined to fit the four-piece format. Besides having a Batman-centric poster, three of the packs have Batman comics as the top comic, as DC's emphasis that Batman sells is on full display.
Set 1 PosterSet 2 PosterSet 3 Poster Set 4 PosterBatman #100 Main Cover Joker War Poster Full ImageSet 5 Wonder Woman Poster

Pack #1, Justice League #46 Variant Cover

Pack #1 has Justice League #46 Variant cover on top, with Nightwing #71 Variant Cover, DC Super-Stars #17 Facsimile Edition, and The Flash #755 Main Cover. Justice League #46, DC Super-Stars #17, and The Flash #755 are at best cover price books, but the Nightwing #71 Variant Cover is a rarer book, sold out the week it came out, with its early Joker War tie-in.
Set 1, Justice League #46 Variant CoverNightwing #71 Variant Cover DC Super-Stars #17 Facsimile EditionThe Flash #755 Main Cover

Pack #2, Batman/Superman #9 Main Cover

Pack 2 has the first Batman book on top, with Batman/Superman #9 Main Cover, with The Flash #754 Main Cover, Batman Secret Files #3, and Justice League Odyssey #21 Variant Cover. None of these books are worth more than the cover price. Though Batman Secret Files #3 had a bit of heat, being a little hyped appearance of Punchline, the book has dropped to being worth cover price or less due to a large amount of copies being sent out by Lunar and/or UCS Distribution after Diamond ran out of copies.
Set 2, Batman/Superman #9 Main CoverThe Flash #754 Main Cover Batman Secret Files #3 Main CoverJustice League Odyssey #21 Variant Cover

Pack #3, Batman The Adventures Continue #1 Main Cover

Pack 3 starts with another Batman book, with Batman The Adventure Continues #1 starting off the pack. Amethyst #3 Main Cover, Young Justice #15 Main Cover, and Wonder Woman #757 Main Cover rounding out the set. Only Batman The Adventure Continues #1 has gone to second print, but that hasn't made the first print worth more. (Issue #2 is the comic that has gone in value for this series.)
Set 3, Batman The Adventure Continues #1 Main CoverAmethyst #3 Main Cover Young Justice #15 Main CoverWonder Woman #757 Main Cover

Pack #4, Batman and The Outsiders #13 Main Cover

The third pack that has a Batman book on top starts with Batman and the Outsiders #13 Main Cover, but the next book is the one most buyers would want to buy the set for 1st printing of Legion of Super-Heroes #6 Main Cover featuring the first Gold Lantern. Not the top seller, it was on the back issue market, it has gone to second print and still sells anywhere from $10 to $20 for a near-mint non-slabbed copy now. Hawkman #24 Variant Cover and Aquaman #60 Variant Cover finish the set.
Set 4, Batman & The Outsiders #13 Main CoverLegion of Super-Heroes #6 1st Print Main Cover Hawkman #24 Variant CoverAquaman #60 Variant Cover

Pack #5, Wonder Woman '84 Museum Mayhem #1 Main Cover

The final set is the one most will want to buy, just based on its top comic, with Wonder Woman '84 Museum Mayhem #1 on top, Batgirl #46 Variant Cover, Lois Lane #11 Variant Cover, and Harley Quinn #73 Main Cover being the books in the set. Wonder Woman '84 Museum Mayhem #1 hits earlier this month, then thought, and won't be in comic book stores until September 29th. The lead tale, "Museum Madness" is a old school New Mutants reunion as Louise Simonson and Bret Blevins reunite for a Wonder Woman '84 prequel and the follow up tale "Wolf Cubs" taking place during Wonder Woman '84 as Diana and Steve Trevor deal with fake terrorists and children. This pack includes what seems to be the main cover for the one-shot and is not a variant cover, but until the comic is released at comic book stores, it is possible this is a variant cover.
Set 5, Wonder Woman '84 Museum Mayhem #1 Main CoverBatgirl #46 Variant Cover Lois Lane #11 Variant CoverHarley Quinn #73 Main Cover

New DC Comics for Walmart, but Only One "New" Comic

The return of new DC comics to Walmart is a good thing, but overall the bundles don't look likely to be heavy sellers for Walmart. However, sale numbers for Walmart for these bundles versus the Giant line will likely never be released. This time, unlike the first series, Walmart has a new comic in Wonder Woman '84 Museum Mayhem #1 that isn't in comic book stores yet. Now, most of these books were never released to Diamond, but a few such as Harley Quinn #73 and the Flash #754 were supposed to be distributed by Diamond, but copies of at least those two books were rare and harder to get from Diamond as DC did not provide as many copies to Diamond as some other books. Overall the new Wonder Woman mini-poster by Nicola Scott is beautiful to see, and we'll see how these extra copies of Legion of Super-Heroes #6 being released affect the back issue prices.

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (09-12-20)
Old 09-12-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My impression and experience with these DC packs? They aren't selling anywhere as well as the Giants did when they first popped up at Walmart. I do think sales generally dwindled for the Giants over time based on what I saw.

People in the beginning picked them up to support "comics" at Walmart but the packaging for these four-packs isn't great - they are tightly shrinkwrapped and the only hint of what's inside is the top cover. I wish I had seen your post before visiting Wally world today. Picked up the Wonder Woman special and the mostly disappointing Batman: The Adventure Continues pack, not knowing what issues were included. I'm pretty sure everything was available but the Outsiders pack, which I don't remember seeing.

What's worse is that they are often thrown together with the very similar-looking Marvel packs. I'd drop the custom poster idea and pack in something a little more exciting, like a small DC-themed button or other item.
Old 09-12-20, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My impression and experience with these DC packs? They aren't selling anywhere as well as the Giants did when they first popped up at Walmart. I do think sales generally dwindled for the Giants over time based on what I saw.

People in the beginning picked them up to support "comics" at Walmart but the packaging for these four-packs isn't great - they are tightly shrinkwrapped and the only hint of what's inside is the top cover. I wish I had seen your post before visiting Wally world today. Picked up the Wonder Woman special and the mostly disappointing Batman: The Adventure Continues pack, not knowing what issues were included. I'm pretty sure everything was available but the Outsiders pack, which I don't remember seeing.

What's worse is that they are often thrown together with the very similar-looking Marvel packs. I'd drop the custom poster idea and pack in something a little more exciting, like a small DC-themed button or other item.
To me is the price and the fact that DC has stocked more of these set at stores than they did of the Giants. The 4 packs are $9 vs the Giants at $5. I know that the 4 packs come about a little over $2 per issue, but the Giants seem to be a better deal for most people.
Old 09-30-20, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone know anything about these Allegiance Arts' endcaps showing up in select Walmarts? It's an endcap with several independent superhero comic books. I found it in the media section. I casually leafed through a couple of the offered comic books like Red Rooster - they aren't sealed or anything. Probably the first time many Walmart customers have ever seen a single floppy issue. Price tags were $5 an issue.

https://www.allegiancearts.com/
Old 10-01-20, 03:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I heard they’re affiliated with CG so I’m avoiding looking at them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
Adam Tyner (10-03-20), Red Hood (10-04-20)
Old 10-03-20, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
I heard they’re affiliated with CG so I’m avoiding looking at them.
I just learned about that recently. Returned the books I had purchased at WM for a full refund. I'm not supporting CG and these assholes went above and beyond to hide their ties with that hate group. Fuck them. I also deleted my post in this thread that had reference this company. They can go fuck themselves with their racist shit.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-04-20)
Old 10-05-20, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more upset that their books have WalMart price stickers on them. And apparently, they don't remove clean. Not paying $4.99 for that.
Old 10-05-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm more upset that their books have WalMart price stickers on them. And apparently, they don't remove clean. Not paying $4.99 for that.
Walmart still uses price stickers?

I don't think I've seen a green price sticker there in decades.

Or do you mean those larger, white stickers like they put on books, DVDs, and CDs?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.