Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 01-12-18, 01:40 PM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Conan Returns to Marvel

Quote:
Conan Returns to Marvel

The adventure begins in January 2019!

Today, Marvel Entertainment and Conan Properties International are excited to announce the iconic CONAN franchise will make its grand return to Marvel next year.

With over 650 issues from 1970 to 2000, Marvel brought fans the adventures of Conan The Barbarian, Conan the Adventurer, Conan the Savage, and Savage Sword of Conan, among other popular titles.

“From Barry Windsor-Smith to John Buscema to Neal Adams, a legendary lineup of amazing artists brought Conan to life in the pages of Marvel comics,” said C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. “It’s a legacy we’re now going to live up to with the talent we have lined up for the Cimmerian barbarian’s homecoming in early 2019. We’re excited!”

“We’re thrilled to be working with Marvel and look forward to the new adventures in store for Conan,” said Fredrik Malmberg, President of Conan Properties International. “As the most well-known and creative publisher in the industry, we think Marvel is a great fit for our stories.”

With this deal, Marvel will again bring new and thrilling stories for Conan fans around the world. Details on upcoming comic book titles, collections, reprints, and creative teams will be shared at a later date.
https://news.marvel.com/comics/82990...eturns-marvel/

Wow! That's a huge FU that Marvel has given to Dark Horse. The second one after also taking the Star Wars license from them. Now those What If? Conan issues can finally be reprinted
Old 01-12-18, 01:41 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Conan Returns to Marvel

I assume we'll get classic Conan omnibuses.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-12-18, 03:20 PM   #3
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Think I own every Conan book ever from (Marvel/)Dark Horse. The new stuff Dark Horse did was as good as the classic Marvel stuff, from there fairly small sampling of each I’ve read. But like the new Star Wars, I’m willing to try Marvel’s new efforts.
Old 01-12-18, 03:43 PM   #4
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm. This has me interested. I do hope we get some classic Conan Omni's out of it.
Old 01-12-18, 04:01 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Would love to see Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith do a Conan one shot for Marvel.

What will Dark Horse have left once Disney gets 20th Century Fox's IPs and Aliens, Predator, Buffy and Firefly all head to Marvel?

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 01-12-18, 04:36 PM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Would love to see Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith do a Conan one shot for Marvel.

What will Dark Horse have left once Disney gets 20th Century Fox's IPs and Aliens, Predator, Buffy and Firefly all head to Marvel?
I always thought that Dark Horse should fight to get the Harry Potter license but I imagine DC Comics has first shot at that since they are associated by WB. They could also do a Legend of Zelda or other hot Nintendo property comic books. Dark Horse has Hellboy, Usage Yojimbo, Robocop and Terminator and not much else. The have failed to truly develop IP to the point that there have been weeks in 2017 were they released less than 2 books or none.
Old 01-12-18, 06:48 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since the original series was part of the 616 continuity, I wonder if this new series will be a continuation from the old series or will they choose to keep it seperate from the old continity and the 616 universe.
Old 01-12-18, 07:30 PM   #8
Mostly Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I assume we'll get classic Conan omnibuses.
I'm hoping for that, especially nicer reprints of Savage Sword, the Dark Horse reprints of those, on cheap paper and a smaller size than originally published were really lacking IMO. If Marvel can do reprints closer to the Creepy/Eerie/Vampirella archive editions I'll be a happy camper!
Old 01-13-18, 01:28 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

I have a ton of the old Chronicles TPBs, but the reproduction is not the greatest. I also have a few of the Savage Sword phone books and three of the new Omniboo, which I like but don’t love. I’ll be interested to see how the old material is handled.

Conan is kind of like Red Sonja in that I can pick up and read nearly any story of it.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-13-18, 10:53 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I always thought that Dark Horse should fight to get the Harry Potter license but I imagine DC Comics has first shot at that since they are associated by WB.
From what I've heard, Rowling has nixed the idea of Harry Potter/Wizarding World comic books, so it doesn't matter anyway. Which is a shame because there are tons of possible stories they could tell. Voldemort's rise to power, the First Wizarding War, what was going at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows while Harry, Ron, and Hermione were off hunting Horcruxes.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-13-18, 10:58 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Disney might be content to leave Buffy, Aliens, Predator, and Firefly at Dark Horse. They aren't huge properties like Star Wars, and Buffy/Angel and Firefly are currently inactive.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-13-18, 03:23 PM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've looked but never found one. I'd like to have a reprint TPB of Marvel's color Adventures on The Planet of The Apes. I've seen the Archives series that reprints the b&w magazines but not the color comics.

Last edited by rw2516; 01-13-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 03:52 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Disney might be content to leave Buffy, Aliens, Predator, and Firefly at Dark Horse. They aren't huge properties like Star Wars, and Buffy/Angel and Firefly are currently inactive.
I could see that. Disney farms out their own characters like Mickey and Uncle Scrooge to various companies so they seem to be OK with not having control and just collecting the rights fees in certain cases.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-13-18, 04:12 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is off topic. Has the silver age issue of DC's Showcase that was adaption of the Bond film Dr. No ever been reprinted?
Old 01-19-18, 12:11 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too bad John Buscema passed away. I loved his pencils with Adams inking. At the very least they should get Adams to do a one shot.
Old 01-19-18, 12:21 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Too bad John Buscema passed away. I loved his pencils with Adams inking. At the very least they should get Adams to do a one shot.
My proudest trade ever on DVDtalk? A bunch of DVDs that I got for free for three pages of John Buscema Conan art.
Old 01-22-18, 06:50 AM   #17
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
My proudest trade ever on DVDtalk? A bunch of DVDs that I got for free for three pages of John Buscema Conan art.
Holy shit that's a great trade!
Old 01-22-18, 07:34 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Here are two of them, maybe I never put the third on Comic Art Fans.

Old 01-22-18, 07:58 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

That's great!