Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

I've noticed the industry's price points are getting increasingly high even for single issues.
Old 01-04-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
DC Comics really knows how to stick it to the consumer. The first issue of The Next Batman coming out this week has a cover price of $8.99!!!
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've noticed the industry's price points are getting increasingly high even for single issues.
Batman is 64 pages though, and DC has it listed at $7.99
Old 01-04-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I thought an increase to 7.99 was the rumor like a year ago when they were originally planning 5G... I think they were going to do like premium format books or something?

So that changed and these don't seem to be premium books anymore, but it seems like they stuffed them with backup stories, ie: comics that they paid for but aren't going to release separately so they're chopping them up? Or is that just the cynic in me?

I remember DC tried this before, putting backups in to push page count and pushing the price up, then removing the backups and keeping the price (similar to how they raised prices stating the digital issues were the reason, then they removed the digital codes).
Old 01-04-21, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Batman is 64 pages though, and DC has it listed at $7.99
Cover A is $7.99. Cover B and C are $8.99 each
Old 01-04-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought an increase to 7.99 was the rumor like a year ago when they were originally planning 5G... I think they were going to do like premium format books or something?

So that changed and these don't seem to be premium books anymore, but it seems like they stuffed them with backup stories, ie: comics that they paid for but aren't going to release separately so they're chopping them up? Or is that just the cynic in me?

I remember DC tried this before, putting backups in to push page count and pushing the price up, then removing the backups and keeping the price (similar to how they raised prices stating the digital issues were the reason, then they removed the digital codes).
Yeah I think its a way to get all the content that is done, out quickly.

Now I do like a backup when done well. DC had great backups in their titles in the SA/BA. Put Batgirl back in Detective as a backup and I'd be good with that.
Old 01-04-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

DC is reducing their line but putting some of those characters in back up features and raising the price of those books to $4.99 monthly (40 pages). They're also creating anthology titles at a higher price with a larger page count like Batman: Urban Legends (64 pages - $7.99). A handful of older and newer titles remain $3.99.

Marvel has done worse with pricing in the past. Charging $4.99 (and up) for "prestige titles" with normal page counts (20-22 pages). Or counting two full pages of just the title and credits for the book to their page count (basically, looking at two less story pages). Yes, I know DC is also guilty of that at times. At least a normal $4.99 DC book feels like there's more pages.

Honestly, in the past, I have frequently posted on DC's social media that they should turn back to anthology titles for their line. Put Bat-named characters in a Batman anthology title. All the rest of the Bat Family (Red Hood, Orphan, etc) into Detective Comics. Same with Superman and Action Comics. Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics. Bring back Adventure Comics and World's Finest. Thick books for $7 or $8.

We're almost there....
Old 01-04-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I suspect in a few years most of the superhero comic book print industry will end up in anthologies. They'll bundle popular characters like Batman with characters that don't sell on their own.
Old 01-04-21, 04:47 PM
Banned

I suspect in a few years most of the superhero comic book print industry will end up in anthologies. They'll bundle popular characters like Batman with characters that don't sell on their own.
Marvel won't do that at all. They are selling fine as it is, their comics a profiting the company and they are investment for their movie division.
Old 01-04-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Or just have dozens of Batman and Batman-related titles and little else.
Old 01-06-21, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Marvel won't do that at all. They are selling fine as it is, their comics a profiting the company and they are investment for their movie division.
Definitely. Marvel still sees a value in their monthly comics. In both sales and creativity. AT&T/Warner does not. Since AT&T took over, they have been chipping away at DC on all fronts (more so than Warner themselves have done since 2009).
Old 01-07-21, 06:08 PM
Banned

Been reading the new Future State titles that came out this week and so far they are pretty good. Liking Wonder Woman the most and I feel that the character has the "IT" factor that will make her a mainstay in the DC Universe.

Second print books are being solicited next week for the #1 issues

Old 01-10-21, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably my favorite single issue of the last couple years just came out:

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dark...ecret-origin-1

Dark Nights: Death Metal The Secret Origin #1

I won't spoil anything but the issue features Superboy Prime.
Old 01-10-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts

Not related to the current "relaunch", or even the last few - I just finished rereading "Crisis on Infinite Earths". I've been catching up on the years of Superman/Action comics I missed during the time I had quit collecting, and got to the issue of Action before John Byrne takes over. So it seemed like a good time to re-experience Crisis. I'm thinkin' I'm gonna reread Byrne's "Man of Steel" again, too, just to get the full feel of Superman's first "rebirth".
Old 01-11-21, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Not related to the current "relaunch", or even the last few - I just finished rereading "Crisis on Infinite Earths". I've been catching up on the years of Superman/Action comics I missed during the time I had quit collecting, and got to the issue of Action before John Byrne takes over. So it seemed like a good time to re-experience Crisis. I'm thinkin' I'm gonna reread Byrne's "Man of Steel" again, too, just to get the full feel of Superman's first "rebirth".
DC is currently releasing Man of Steel in deluxe hardcover volumes, scooping up Byrne's run entirely. Volume one is out and volume two is about to come out.