Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

I bought the Squadron Supreme Omni at the same time, and it's substantially larger for the same list price. I'm not going to worry too much about $10 out of pocket, though.
Old 06-10-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Originally Posted by slop101
It would be the first one of it's size at that price. It's only 700 pages, vs every other $125 omni that's over 1,000 pages.
I just bought a new printing of the "Captain America" Omnibus Vol. 1 (Lee and Kirby), -it was 856 pages and listed for $125.
Old 06-16-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cheap Graphic Novels still has the variant cover, but for $150.

They're also showing both covers for vol. 2:

Old 06-16-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've no intention of purchasing either of the MOKF omnibi; although it is one of my all-time favorite series, I already have all the floppies and I really need to cut back on my spending habits. But I have to say that it really warms my heart whenever I see, "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu", listed as a forum topic.
Old 06-16-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Preterite
I've no intention of purchasing either of the MOKF omnibi; although it is one of my all-time favorite series, I already have all the floppies and I really need to cut back on my spending habits. But I have to say that it really warms my heart whenever I see, "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu", listed as a forum topic.
Old 06-17-16, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Cheap Graphic Novels still has the variant cover, but for $150.

They're also showing both covers for vol. 2:
The standard cover for Vol. 2 looks much better than the cover for Vol. 1.
I have the "floppies" (hate that term) for the originals and I gave them a look: I was surprised at mediocre print quality. I don't know if it's "age" (I understand that the paper changes color over time) but a lot of the art seems a bit grainy (particularly solid black areas). The omnibus definitely improves the print quality and the color does not over-power the art (which is my general complaint with some of the omnibuses). I'll probably buy the next volume since its my favorite section of the series, though I doubt I'll go as far as to buy the "Deadly Hands" volumes.
Old 07-19-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Comicsbeat has a list of upcoming 2017 Marvel Graphic Novels, and this list even has the print runs, and the Shang Chi Volume 3 Omnibus only has a planned run of 3,000 books...jebus, that is low (the Alpha Flight and Guardians Of The Galaxy Jim Valentino Omnibus books have planned runs of 6k and 7.5k copies), and explains why the DM cover on instocktrades sold out so quickly, even with a higher price than the standard cover edition. It also explains why a book most of us bought for less than $70 can sell for $120-150 on the secondary market.

There were some grumblings about the price of this book considering it was a smaller than usual omnibus, but with these low print runs I will continue to pounce on the next volume the second it is available and do so with a smile on my face.

Edited to add: the regular cover is still 45% off on ist...I wonder if it will sell out sooner than later once folks get wind of what the print run probably was for this volume. Heck, even if the print run is 3,000K per DM and regular cover editions 6,000 does not strike me as an abnormally high print run for a series that had a pent-up demand to be put in a collected format.
Old 07-20-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Here's the link to the Comics Beat article.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc16-mar...vels-for-2017/

Pretty fascinating stuff. I know I've never seen these sorts of numbers published before. I'm not terribly surprised at MoKF's low print run. The one that really jumps out at me is the print run for the new X-Men masterwork volume. Not so much that it's low, but that it's less than half of the upcoming Captain America and Daredevil masterwork volumes. If you had told me 20 years ago that Cap and Daredevil would be selling double the number of X-Men I would have said you were a crazy person and a danger to society.
Old 07-20-16, 12:12 PM

Rocket1312, I really appreciated the glimpse into the print runs for the Marvel books. I was just as surprised as Torsten at some of the fairly low print runs for things like Spider-Man TPBs, but not being well versed in publishing some of what I consider to be a low print run might be considered quite high and may keep the book in print for years after it is released.
Old 07-20-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've seen speculation that Marvel purposely underprints their omnibuses given estimated demand. Marvel is big on turning over their inventory as quickly as possible. No other company in the business cuts it that close.
Old 07-21-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've seen speculation that Marvel purposely underprints their omnibuses given estimated demand. Marvel is big on turning over their inventory as quickly as possible. No other company in the business cuts it that close.
Yeah, when it comes to omnibuses and and masterworks, Marvel is definitely in the business of serving an already established customer base. They have little to no interest in keeping those volumes in print long term. It can be frustrating, but given that the alternative is more than likely that most of those books never get published, I guess I'll take it.
Old 07-25-16, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is only recently true, if at all.

Marvel overprinted everything, including Omnis, for years. They've been blowing out some of the same Omnis for years. They still over print most of their regular TPBs and HCs. You'll find the vast majority of them remainder marked at Half Price Books and similar stores.

The situation with Shang Chi & Co. is relatively unique.
Old 09-11-16, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Really enjoying the MOKF Volume 1 (that I got earlier this summer). This is the first time I'm reading most of these issues.

I've also ordered all of the next MOKF & DHOKF Omnis that are available for pre-order. IIRC, the 2nd MOKF Omni is scheduled to be released for later this month.

I believe that the reason these Omnis are so expensive ($125 for a regularly sized Omni) is because of the deal that Marvel had to make with the Sax Rohmer estate re: these reprints. Over on the MM board, there have been reports over the years that Marvel had been trying to secure the license, but was unable to for various reasons.

I for one don't mind spending the extra $ for the Omnibus - the few floppies I had of MOKF are long gone, and I'm sure that if I tried to go back & re-collect these, they would probably be more expensive than getting the Omnis. Plus, the Omnis are on high-quality paper, remastered color, and are very collectible. It's a no-brainer...
Old 09-11-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I hope Marvel does the same thing and tries to secure a deal for a Micronauts Omnibus.
Old 09-11-16, 12:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I hope Marvel does the same thing and tries to secure a deal for a Micronauts Omnibus.
I misread your post at first glance and thought it was a done deal. Would have been my best birthday ever. Instead I'm just sad again....
Old 09-11-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was already planning to continue to buy the MOKF Omniboo, but now I have extra incentive if there's a chance that that helps encourage people to chase a Micronauts deal.
Old 09-12-16, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Checked my Amazon wish list this morning and Master of Kung Fu Vol. 2 is down to $75.07.
Old 09-12-16, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Checked my Amazon wish list this morning and Master of Kung Fu Vol. 2 is down to $75.07.
Still sticking with In Stock Trades, assuming they continue with their current pricing policies.
Old 09-14-16, 08:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Crap, pre-ordered Vol 1 through DCBS for $62, same price with Vol 3 this month, but I somehow skipped Vol 2.
Old 09-14-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DWilson
Still sticking with In Stock Trades, assuming they continue with their current pricing policies.
Me too, though the date shifted, making me really nervous that I'm going to miss release week. I think that's next week, though.
Old 09-14-16, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Me too, though the date shifted, making me really nervous that I'm going to miss release week. I think that's next week, though.
Trevor has me confused a bit...volume 2 variant has not been solicited on instocktrades.com yet, correct. It sounds like it will be available next week.

Previews list of new products for next week does not list volume 2...maybe due on the 28th?

Last edited by Inhumans99; 09-17-16 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Vol. 2 was supposed to come out this week, but looks like it got delayed 'till next week.
Old 09-26-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucking "cheap" graphic novels my ass!

They had the DM cover on their site this entire time for $69, but you couldn't pre-order, nor was there any way to lock it in at that price - all you could do was add it to your "wish list", and now on the day that it's actually available for purchase, they jack it up to $100. Fucking assholes!
Old 09-27-16, 03:02 PM

Slop, I received an email about a temporary shortage of the DM cover due to printing issues delaying the full delivery to Diamond. This may explain the price hike...the email said sites like Tales Of Wonder are only able to fulfill a handful of orders for the DM Variant, and ist will put the DM variant on their site for order as soon as it is available. I plan to watch the site like a hawk, and I do hope they stick with it being at least 45% off cover like they did for the 1st volume dm variant.
Old 09-27-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, this is really frustrating. I like the variant cover, but not as much as I liked the one for volume 1, and I'm wondering if it might be easier (and cheaper) just to get the regular one. I know I don't want to pay the $100 premium price CGN currently has, but if I hold out for IST, who knows what price it'll be, or what price the regular one will be by then.

I had to get the Doctor Strange standard cover last week because I added the variant to my cart, left the house, and came back a few hours later to find it gone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.