Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The First Monthly '25 Years Ago This Month' Thread - July 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 10:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The First Monthly '25 Years Ago This Month' Thread - July 2015

Originally Posted by madcougar
I literally just accepted the fact I'm not going to re-read even 1 percent of all the stuff I own. It's just too much stuff.
I'm starting to re-think my collecting habits.

If I hated all new comics and never bought a book again, I probably have enough of a collection to satisfy my reading entertainment needs forever.

But I do like the new stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of moving on to a rental first policy; mainly using the physical libraries in my area.

Anyone want to buy a 17000 book Comixology account?
Old 07-07-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

If I hated all new comics and never bought a book again, I probably have enough of a collection to satisfy my reading entertainment needs forever.

But I do like the new stuff.

I'm seriously thinking of moving on to a rental first policy; mainly using the physical libraries in my area.

Anyone want to buy a 17000 book Comixology account?
I know you've addressed these issues before Trevor, but I have to believe that the rate at which you acquire new content is far greater than the rate at which you actually read the stuff. I mean, how often do you even re-read stuff you love? Even I have a pretty big mountain of unread material and I have less than 200 items total between my Comixology and Dark Horse accounts. I know it's tough to pass up good deals, but you're not really saving any money. Instead you're just sort of pouring more and more of it down the drain.
Old 07-07-15, 02:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I know you've addressed these issues before Trevor, but I have to believe that the rate at which you acquire new content is far greater than the rate at which you actually read the stuff. I mean, how often do you even re-read stuff you love? Even I have a pretty big mountain of unread material and I have less than 200 items total between my Comixology and Dark Horse accounts. I know it's tough to pass up good deals, but you're not really saving any money. Instead you're just sort of pouring more and more of it down the drain.
I won't really comment to get the thread back on track, but I do appreciate the concern. I definitely have a shopping problem and am considering seeking help. Tough step for me, as I've spent my life think psychiatry/therapy/whatever is useless and everyone should be able to man up and live a decent life on their own effort.
Old 07-07-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Some people get enjoyment from buying comic books. Others get happiness snorting cocaine or gambling away money. I know which vice I would prefer.
Old 07-07-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

That's mostly why I quit buying new comics a few years ago: I already have more than enough to read and/or re-read to keep me busy. Plus, the new ones will be available in TPBs and the like should I ever wish to read them.

As for "25 Years Ago This Month"; I have the Batman and Superman titles, and a few others from DC, and the Spider-Man and "Mutant" titles from Marvel. I was already dropping a lot of books by that time, and I got laid off from my job sometime later that year, so it dropped down to just a few.