Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Old 09-03-13, 08:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Just read The Ten issue 0. The art is mediocre and the premise has been done before perhaps, but it was enjoyable enough to make want to buy the trade someday if it gets cheap.
Old 09-08-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Caught up on some books this weekend:

The Red Ten #4
Superman Unchained #1
Doctor Who: Convention Special
The JL Trinity War issues (catching up on Forever Evil)
Old 09-09-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Invincible 105.
Old 09-14-13, 08:55 AM

Today starts a two day sale at Comixology on Tales Designed to Thrizzle from Fantagraphics by Michael Kupperman. The first issue was (is?) free and is hilarious. I'm picking up both collections unless the print versions are cheaper at Amazon.
Old 09-16-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night was Cerebus Night. I read:

AV in 3D (1984). A bunch of 3D stories starring Cerebus, Flaming Carrot, Ms. Tree, normalman and others. This was a .50¢ acquisition and yes, the 3D glasses were still inside.

Low Society (2013). This book was created by a bunch of aspiring artists. They got permission to use Cerebus for this One-Shot. Two of the stories were pretty good. The rest were kinda meh.

Dave Sim inked the Cerebuses (?) on the cover while Gerhard did the background. It's a mini-reunion!

Old 09-16-13, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Neil the Horse!

Did you know that Katherine Collins (formerly Arn Saba, creator of Neil the Horse) announced a complete collection earlier this year? I get giddy with excitement every time I think about it.
Old 09-29-13, 11:21 AM

Just read the first issue of Girls from Image and really enjoyed it. It's on sale on Comixology so I'll pick up the collection for some Halloween horror reading this next month.
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
AV in 3D (1984). A bunch of 3D stories starring Cerebus, Flaming Carrot, Ms. Tree, normalman and others. This was a .50¢ acquisition and yes, the 3D glasses were still inside.
I bought that book for Flaming Carrot, my first internet handle btw!
Originally Posted by JasonF
Neil the Horse!

Did you know that Katherine Collins (formerly Arn Saba, creator of Neil the Horse) announced a complete collection earlier this year? I get giddy with excitement every time I think about it.
I always thought I should try me some Neil the Horse, but never got a round tuit. I'll have to see if I have anything to sample in my "Indy" long boxes.
Old 09-30-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Justice League of America #200

72 pages and no ads! Pretty good, Pre-Crisis storytelling. Ties into the JLA's origin. The original members have no memory of anything after that first adventure and have the compulsion to gather the meteorites from that story together. The current members try to stop them in chapters drawn by a slew of DC artists.

Aquaman vs. the Red Tornado (with an appearance by the Phantom Stranger) by Jim Aparo
Firestorm vs. Martian Manhunter by Pat Broderick.
Superman vs. Hawkman by Joe Kubert.
Green Lantern vs. The Atom by Gil Kane
The Flash vs. Elongated Man by Carmine Infantino.
Batman vs. Green Arrow & Black Canary by Brian Bolland.
Wonder Woman vs. Zatanna by Dick Giordano.

Wrap around story by George Perez.

Pretty much everything you see on the box. Good stuff!
Old 10-02-13, 04:37 PM

I have a daily checklist item for reading at least one comic book, and for October I'm making them horror books.

I started with something that I don't remember buying, a four issue series from Chaos called The Haunted. I'm not the type to buy Chaos books, but maybe I got it because it was written by Peter David, one of my favorite writers. The first issue was pretty mediocre, but I guess I'll go ahead and finish the series.
Old 10-02-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can i suggest '68 from Image for your October challenge.
Old 10-02-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

East of West #4
Old 10-02-13, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Can i suggest '68 from Image for your October challenge.
Yes you may! Thanks. I actually bought the (first?) trade in a recent Comixology sale, so I have it right here on my ipad.
Old 10-06-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Justice League of America #200

I think I own this in a trade or collection somewhere but the cover is insidiously telling me to go hunt down the individual issue. I have a severe weakness for classic JLA covers.
Old 10-07-13, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Lazarus #4. Lazarus is such a good book.

I surprised myself when I picked up this week's comics (actually 2 or 3 weeks' worth of comics, since I don't get to the shop every week). I probably picked up over a dozen books and only 3 were superhero books: Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and FF. Meanwhile, I also got Trillium, Lazarus, East of West, God is Dead, Sex Criminals, Mind the Gap, Uber, and a couple of others I'm forgetting. I haven't been a strict superhero reader in a long time, but it's seldom been this lopsided. Partly it's the calendar -- I'm reading a few other superhero books (Superior Spider-Man, Daredevil, Animal Man, Hawkeye, Hulk) that just didn't happen to have releases this time, but it was a weird feeling not seeing more capes in my stack.
Old 10-14-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here’s what I read over the weekend:

1st Issue Special #13 (Return of the New Gods)

The (non-Kirby) return of the New Gods. Basically, it’s a lead-in to the New Gods revival (New Gods #12) in ’77 with some re-cap info regarding the end of Kirby’s run.

Destroyer Duck #1

“Special Lawsuit Benefit Edition.” To raise funds for his lawsuit against Marvel, Steve Gerber (with Jack Kirby) created the meta-satirical Destroyer Duck. There’s a lot of anger toward Marvel in these pages (if you read between the lines). A series followed about a year later.

Here's something I just learned: This book features the first appearance of Sergio Aragones’ Groo.

The Fly #1

I LOVE Red Circle comics! The Red Circle (Archie) characters were the first super heroes I read that weren’t owned by DC or Marvel. In 1983, I didn’t know other costumed characters existed before I picked up The Mighty Crusaders #1. The revival didn’t last long. Within a year, the Red Circle titles were folded into the Archie Adventures line before dying a painful death. It started off strong but fell apart quickly.

Recently, I decided to collect the entire 80s Red Circle output. I found a few issues of the Fly as well as the entire Shield/Steel Sterling run.

Here’s an insider’s look at the Red Circle era if anyone's interested.

Batman/Superman #3.1 (Doomsday #1)

Making my way through the Villain month books. This one was a breezy read. Enjoyed it as well as Zod #1 and Cyborg Superman #1. I kind of dig the New 52 Krypton.
Old 10-14-13, 04:50 PM

I remember paying big money for that Destroyer Duck back when Groo was hot. Please don't tell me how cheap it is now.

I'm now trying to read two (three for October) comic books a day:

One DC New 52 book, currently enjoying the first Swamp Thing trade. Occasionally add a Villains month issue and they haven't been bad at all.

One older DC book in my continuity quest, still on the old Crisis on Multiple Earths trades.

And one horror book a day for October. Girls is fantastic so far. Slipped in one of the Vertigo Halloween annuals the other day and it was excellent.
Old 10-14-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I remember paying big money for that Destroyer Duck back when Groo was hot. Please don't tell me how cheap it is now.
Okay. I won't tell you I paid about $7.50 for the first 6 issues. Still need to track down #7.
Old 12-10-13, 08:11 AM

I just read the 2009 DC Holiday Special. I'm a sucker for anything Christmas, so I loved it naturally. It has 10 short stories from a very broad spectrum of heroes (Ragman, Enemy Ace, Martian Manhunter, Doom Patrol, etc).
Old 12-10-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read Swamp Thing 26 last night...
Old 12-10-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night I read:

Batman '66 #1 - Meh. I was looking forward to this title and it was not very good. Glad I didn't pick up the rest.

Valentino #1 - Bought it over the weekend for .25 cents and found out it was signed by Jim Valentino on the inside cover.

Filmation's Ghostbusters #1 - Also bought over the weekend for a quarter. Released through First Comics. Not much more I can say about this book.

Over the weekend, I read the first 5 issues of Kick-Ass 3 (which I enjoyed), X-Files Season 10 #6 (could have been better) and All-Star Comics #74 (Final issue which was so-so).
Old 12-14-13, 08:17 PM

Just finished Superman Annual #11, "For the Man Who Has Everything" by Alan Moore.

Read it misremembering it as a Christmas gift story, it was actually a birthday thing. But this and his goodbye to Superman two parter are just so darn good. I don't think I've ever read better Superman stories.
Old 12-16-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over the weekend:

The Flash #245

A short lead story with The Flash that really doesn't go anywhere and a long back-up story featuring Green Lantern. Eh.

G8 and His Battle Aces / The Spider's Web Starring Web-Man

Web-Man / Time Warrior

Two titles from Argosy. Both are flipbooks. The "G8" one is from 1991 and features stories from Chuck Dixon. The storytelling is choppy and both stories just end. You turn to the next page and the other story is there, upside down.

The "Time Warrior" one is 2 years later and continues the story from the G8 portion of the above comic. The "Web-Man" story & art is very Image-like which is a departure from the Web-Man story in the previous comic. Very EXTREME. The cover is a fold-out and silver-inked to grab attention.

There's one more Argosy book that I'm probably going to read tonight - "The Spider Presents" with art by the great Gray Morrow. I believe these were the only 3 comics Argosy ever released.
Old 12-28-13, 07:36 PM

Just read Marvel's Zombie Christmas Carol issue 1 and really enjoyed it. I hope it's in a trade, as that seems like one I want for my comic holiday shelf.
Old 02-06-14, 01:29 PM

Jack Kirby passed 10 years ago today, so I'm reading one of his old Fantastic Four books.
Old 02-06-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Jack Kirby passed 10 years ago today, so I'm reading one of his old Fantastic Four books.
Not to make you feel old, but it was 20 years ago today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.