Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Revival - 17
East Of West - 09
Walking Dead - 120
Deadly Class - 01
Fables - 137
Saga - 18
Serenity - Leaves On The Wind 01
Old 03-21-14, 08:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I just read Ghost Rider vol 6 #1. I've always been a sucker for the 'dark' characters of the big two, and for any book with religious tones; so this storyline appears to be right in my wheelhouse. So I bought issues 2-36 for 99 cents each; Comixology sale ends at 2300.
Old 03-26-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lcbs had a sale on back issues
House of M including the tie ins of Wolverine, Fantastic 4, Avengers, Hulk, spiderman and mutopia
Demon Knight 1-23
Completed my n52 Animal Man run
trinity war
Constantine 1-5

today my haul was
Miracleman 4
Origins II 4
TWD 124
Rogues Rebellion 6
Marvel Knights Xmen 4
Dead Body Road 4
The Wake 7
Old 03-27-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The last comic single issue I bought was Shinku #3 I think. It was was like Blade but with a female protagonist and took place in Japan. Then months and months passed and the next issue never came out. I cut them some slack because it wasn't from the big 2 and the pay system is much different from Image but after like 6 months or more I said to hell with this and stopped going to the comic book store.

Marvel lost me with the write-for-the-trade decompressed storytelling.

DC lost me with delays, Didio's attitude about it ("they'll buy it anyways"), and the increase in cover price to make up for the cost of cutting the page count from 22 to 21.

Shinku was a cool new character, with a good premise, and a creative team that was going to stick around. But when it too got delayed too much I lost interest with the medium in general.
Old 04-22-14, 04:52 PM

I had 40 minutes to kill, no charge on my phone, and was driving by a Dollar Tree; so I picked up a few of those two packs of 90s crap.

Got Stormwatch #0, a Continuity tyvek cover, Spawn 28, The Agents #1 from Image, some Marc Silvestri #1, and something lame looking from Top Cow.
Old 04-22-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had 40 minutes to kill, no charge on my phone, and was driving by a Dollar Tree; so I picked up a few of those two packs of 90s crap.

Got Stormwatch #0, a Continuity tyvek cover, Spawn 28, The Agents #1 from Image, some Marc Silvestri #1, and something lame looking from Top Cow.
I saw a batch of those as well, though nothing too interesting. I think I saw a few Crossgen comics and an issue of Batman.
Old 04-22-14, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I saw a batch of those as well, though nothing too interesting. I think I saw a few Crossgen comics and an issue of Batman.
Yeah, this last batch did have a weak selection; my store had no DC or Marvel in them at all, almost all Top Cow and Crossgen. But I was bored and weak....

I guess this counts as single issue purchases, but I just bought The Massive earth day bundle on Darkhorse.com.
Old 04-22-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Where do they keep those 2-packs? I've wandered around my Dollar Tree before and never saw anything.
Old 04-23-14, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Where do they keep those 2-packs? I've wandered around my Dollar Tree before and never saw anything.
I've seen them back in the book and toy aisles, but lately they seem to be kept in the stands near the registers with the trading cards and candy type things.
Old 04-23-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The location I saw had them hidden with the calenders. It's not a batch worth hunting down, in my opinion. A better set of four-packs showed up at Five Below, earlier in the year.
Old 04-24-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, guys. I found some tucked away on the floor near the trading cards. Never ventured in that area. Lot of Spawn and CrossGen books. A bunch of Batman #500 as well (non-foil version). Most interesting thing I saw was a copy of Extreme #0. That was a mail-only exclusive from Liefeld's Extreme Studios.

I hit WonderCon this weekend. Picked up the following books:

The West Coast Avengers #17 to 23 - The "Lost in Space and Time" storyline. Always heard this was a good arc. When I saw them all together for .50¢ each, I had to grab them.

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #5 & Conan #100 - A buck each.

Adventure Comics #339 featuring a reprint of the infamous "The Night of March 31st" story (also known as "The Great Superman Boo-Boo Contest").

DC Special #29 featuring "The Untold Origin of the Justice Society". I've been looking for this one for a very long time. I ended up paying $3 for it! I was literally dancing around the Con after buying it.

Ash #1/2 - One of the booths had a bunch of Wizard 1/2 issues for a buck each. This was the only one that I was interested in.

Detective Comics #558 - Another one I've been trying to track down for years. It's a Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

Luke Cage, Power Man Annual #1 and Giant-Size Doc Savage #1 - $2 each. Love the cover to the Power Man Annual! The Doc Savage one adapts the Ron Ely movie.

Wonder Woman #300 - Another book I've been looking for forever.

Ghosts #97 - Wasn't $5. It was only a buck. Dr. 13 vs the Spectre. Damn that's awesome!!

Marvel Team-Up #5 and Fantastic Four #250 - A buck each.

Avengers #168 and Marvel Presents #9 - Both are re-buys of books I use to own as a kid. I distinctly remember reading Avengers #168 in an airport as a kid.

I got Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragonés to sign my Fanboy graphic novel. Mr. Aragonés added a sketch!

My son got Ron Lim to sketch an Ultron for him too.
Old 04-24-14, 08:19 AM

Awesome post Valeyard! I own a bunch of those; your pics always make me want to sort through a few of my boxes and wax nostalgic.

I had forgotten that the Spectre showed up in at least one issue of Ghosts, I'll have to make sure it's in my collection.
Old 04-24-14, 06:56 PM

Your post inspired me to check out my other local Dollar Tree. I'm blessed (cursed?) to have two within about two miles of me.

I was hoping to find that Batman 500 but no dice. The collector in me couldn't resist that Extreme 0 mail-in. I should have just filed it in my promo box and never read it; it was pretty bad.

Found a Simpsons Comics & Stories #1 and not much else.

How sad is it that I'm considering joining the distributor's fan club?
Old 04-24-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Simpsons Comics & Stories #1. Oh really? I may have to hit the one near work before I head home tonight.

If you really want that Batman #500, lemme know. I can grab one (there were plenty) and ship it to you. No charge.

I considered the fan club as well. I'm curious to what they'd send.
Old 04-24-14, 07:29 PM

Simpsons Comics & Stories #1. Oh really? I may have to hit the one near work before I head home tonight.

If you really want that Batman #500, lemme know. I can grab one (there were plenty) and ship it to you. No charge.

I'd grab another Simpsons for you but it was the only one for now. I'll keep an eye out.

I may take you up on the Batman offer kind sir, but it gives me a potentially better idea. Anyone else have a ton of dupes and other near worthless books that they don't really want, but can't bear to throw away? I'll send you a long or short box of my crap and you send me your box. We keep/read want we want and mail it to the next DVDTalker. We could change the details, but I think a lending or trade program could be fun.
Old 04-24-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

How much is it to ship a long box, though?
Old 04-24-14, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
How much is it to ship a long box, though?
True, it could be pricey. (Pause for google). Looks like it could be as cheap as $25 if you get lucky and the USPS let's you use media mail. But even at $50 it'd be worth it to both get rid of stuff I don't need and get a grab bag of surprise fun.
Old 04-24-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice idea. I have a long box full of stuff that I pull from to either give away, sell or trade locally. Random stuff like doubles, battered titles I was given for free, stuff I read but didn't like and left over FCBD stuff. Nothing groundbreaking tho.

I also have the advantage of being able to use the company FedEx account.
Old 04-25-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a bunch of stuff from the 90's I would like to get rid of; mostly independent and Image books. Stuff the local comic book stores won't touch. I can't bear to just throw them out or give them away but trading them wouldn't be an issue for me. I'd trade them all away just for a couple of good bronze age Batman books if given a choice.
Old 04-25-14, 10:34 AM

I took one for the team and just joined. I'm sure it'll all be crap, but I like surprises.
Nice idea. I have a long box full of stuff that I pull from to either give away, sell or trade locally. Random stuff like doubles, battered titles I was given for free, stuff I read but didn't like and left over FCBD stuff. Nothing groundbreaking tho.

I also have the advantage of being able to use the company FedEx account.
I'll put a box together as I organize in the coming weeks. I could do a long, short, or fedex regular box to anyone who wants to trade doubles/junk.
Originally Posted by mrhan
I have a bunch of stuff from the 90's I would like to get rid of; mostly independent and Image books. Stuff the local comic book stores won't touch. I can't bear to just throw them out or give them away but trading them wouldn't be an issue for me. I'd trade them all away just for a couple of good bronze age Batman books if given a choice.
Wouldn't we all!
Old 04-25-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
If you have a young nephew or cousin, donate them to him. Thats what I did and at least they are getting another shot at being read again.
Old 04-25-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
If you have a young nephew or cousin, donate them to him. Thats what I did and at least they are getting another shot at being read again.
I would but seeing that my 10 year old won't touch them I doubt anyone else will. Besides, he is working his way through my New Teen Titans and Mike Grell's GA series right now ever since he started watching Arrow. I guess he wanted to know the real origins of the characters on that show. Good thing I have doubles/reading copies of the series'.
Old 05-05-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright. I actually picked these up last weekend. A nearby shop moved to a bigger location but is still keeping their old location as a discount store. They have rows and rows of semi-recent books at 40% off and a separate section of boxes at $4 for a pound. I went there last Saturday and spent a few hours digging through books.

I ended up with:

Bone: 10th Anniversary Special Edition - Originally came with a small Bone figurine. I actually got the figurine a few years back at SDCC and never knew a comic came with it.

Caliber Presents #1 - First appearance of The Crow.

Airboy #5 & 6 - I have the first 4 issues and always wanted these next two to finish off the storyline. Whenever I did find the 5th issue, it always cost a bit more because Dave Stevens did the cover.

Elvira's House of Mystery #6 - Sideways issue.

House II adaptation - Never knew this existed. Had to have it!

Teen Titans #46 and Manhunter #1 - Manhunter reprints from Goodwin & Simonson's Detective Comics run.

Midnight Sons Unlimited #6 - I was a big fan of David Quinn's Dr. Strange run from the 90s. Never knew until recently that he did some ancillary Strange stories in-between his run.

Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 - Conclusion of Jim Starlin's classic Thanos storyline.

Razor: Torture #0 and Prophet Vol. 2 #1 - Chromium, baby! I still love crappy comics with snazzy covers.

Speaking of all style, no substance - Magnus Robot Fighter #25 with a silver embossed cover and Battletech: Fallout #1 with a full holographic cover.

Savage Dragon #125 and Rune #0 - The Rune comic was a coupon send-away that reprinted all the Rune debut back ups.

Elektra Megazine #1 & 2 - Reprints of Miller's Elektra Saga.

Gumby's Winter Fun & Gumby's Summer Fun - Both from the late 80s with art from Art Adams.

Tales to Astonish and Ghosts #1 - Tales to Astonish has 68 pages of painted art wrapped inside an acetate cover.

I also got (but forgot to take pix) X-Files: Ground Zero #2, 3 & 4 and a bunch of X-Files Season One books by Topps Comics. The final was a little more than 5 lbs. worth of books.
Old 05-05-14, 12:46 PM

Wait, all of those were basically pennies each?!

I need to travel to some of these shops. Well, perhaps I need to organize what I have, make a database, and clear room in my townhouse first....
Old 05-05-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. More like .80¢ ish each for everything. $4 a pound at 5ish pounds was over $20 with tax.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.