Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic/Super-Hero Sheep NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comic/Super-Hero Sheep NOW!

Welcome all - This game is comic centric, but i wanted to try to make it accessible to people with only a casual knowledge of comics as well. Sorry if my questions suck, I'm new at this; feel free to complain, but expect me to tell you to go fuck yourselves.

Here's all the usual info:

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use up to all 5 of your {sd}s on any given question.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

• And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

WARNING: This is my first time hosting one of these so I apologize in advance for any rough patches. I plan on taking the usual 20-25 entrants so as not to overload myself on scoring. I will post when the entries are closed (though will make special dispensations for anyone who has run a Sheep game in the past).

I plan to start this sheep on Monday 2/18 in the afternoon EST

Now on to the questions!

• S:1. List one of Aquaman’s powers.
  • S:2. Name a female Avenger other than Black Widow or Wasp.
  • S:3. Other than Green, what is your favorite color lantern/power-ring?
  • R:4. Spiderman is a playboy…name a woman Peter Parker loves or has loved.
  • R:5. Name someone who goes or has gone by the last name of Summers in Marvel Comics.
  • S:6. Who has the nicest cleavage in comic-dom?
  • R:7. Name one of the founders of Image Comics.
  • S:8. Who died in comics…and then came back that made you the maddest?
  • R:9. Name an X-man from either the future or an alternate timeline (other than the 616) who was a member of an X-team in contemporary 616 times. (being an X-man in their time doesn’t count)
  • S:10. So you are a horny chick who wants to have a super powered kid in the Marvel Universe and a super-villain has blasted the entire super-hero population with a drunk-ray. Which hero are you going to seduce to knock you up?
  • R:11. Name a villain from the 1984 Secret Wars 12 issue series.
  • S:12. What was the best Valiant title?
  • S:13. Who is the hottest red head in comics?
  • S:14. Name a hero or villain that carries or rides an animal into battle with them.
  • S:15. Name a Guardian of the Galaxy?
  • S:16. Name a team (past or present) that has its home base in a country other than the USA or Canada (but it has to be on earth).
  • S:17. Without a doubt ______ was the best Robin!
  • S:18. Okay, you are Batman and you are trying to put together a softball team to play against Superman’s team this weekend. You get first pick of any of the heroes in the DC universe (other than Superman because he is the other captain.). Who do you call first?
  • S:19. Name a character that never makes it to or off the farm alive in Walking Dead (either the comic or the show).
  • R:20. Name a character introduced in the 90’s that is still relevant and in use today (i.e. they are still a still part of a team in an ongoing series or they have their own title).
  • S:21. What was the best Cartoon based on a comic series?
  • S:22. Spoiler Alert! Peter Parker isn’t Spiderman anymore. Who was the best character to dress up like Spiderman and pretend to be him?
  • S:23. The love of Batman’s life is ________.
  • R:24. Name someone who is or has been a member of the Fantastic Four. *hint, there are more than 4.
  • S:25. Everybody loves Grant Morrison. Grant Morrison is brilliant. What did he write that made you stop and think “WTF is going on here?”

• Last edited by ivelostr2; 02-13-13 at 02:49 PM.
    Old 02-13-13, 01:08 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Re: Comic/Super-Hero Sheep NOW!

I'm in. PM sent.
    Old 02-13-13, 01:08 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

answers sent
    Old 02-13-13, 01:28 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Is #9 a reverse because it's green?
    Old 02-13-13, 01:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure I understand question #22. Can you clarify?
    Old 02-13-13, 01:36 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want in and will send answers in a little later.
    Old 02-13-13, 01:39 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
    Is #9 a reverse because it's green?
    I didn't even understand it so I took a guess.
    Old 02-13-13, 01:47 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
    I didn't even understand it so I took a guess.
    I'm not sure how good my answer would be as either reverse or sheep, so it's not a big deal to me.
    Old 02-13-13, 01:53 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't understand it either so it wouldn't have changed my answer. Just being anal.
    Old 02-13-13, 02:02 PM
    DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I answered #9 as a sheep question.
    Old 02-13-13, 02:26 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
    I answered #9 as a sheep question.
    I answered it as reverse sheep. Looks like ivelostr2's got some splainin' to do.
    Old 02-13-13, 02:47 PM

Sorry, 9 is a reverse sheep. I will take edits without penalty...
    Old 02-13-13, 02:48 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
    Sorry, 9 is a reverse sheep. I will take edits without penalty...
    Good to know. I'll leave mine be, I was answering as though it were a reverse, anyhow.
    Old 02-13-13, 02:52 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I'm in
    Old 02-13-13, 04:07 PM

Ok, sorry, i had to leave the office soon after i posted this, so i have to answer these questions from my cell. #9 is asking for someone that came from an alternate time line or from the past or future and joined the x-men in the regular marvel universe. Over the years there have been a lot of them. do I need to explain this more or should I change the question somehow. Again, I'll take edits on this question with no penalty since it was confusing... but only to those who have sent answers already.
    Old 02-13-13, 04:24 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

You threw me with the whole 616 thing, but my answer still stands. At least that character I chose falls within the boundaries of your question. I think.
    Old 02-13-13, 05:28 PM
    DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
    You threw me with the whole 616 thing, but my answer still stands. At least that character I chose falls within the boundaries of your question. I think.
    616 is the mainstream marvel universe/timeline.
    Old 02-13-13, 05:33 PM
    Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Count me in!
    Old 02-13-13, 05:38 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm a casual comic fan. Have no idea what 616 means Never heard of Valiant Comics. Never read Secret Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy (though you'd think one of the names would stick with me having read blurbs about the upcoming movie ... but it hasn't). I'm usually hesitant to enter these things when I know I can't compete ... but seeing all the other DVDTalkers who clearly aren't afraid to suck may help me to suck it up and have fun with it.

Last edited by brainee; 02-13-13 at 05:48 PM.
    Old 02-13-13, 05:40 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I won't be able to get answers in until tomorrow, but I will send them.
    Old 02-13-13, 06:02 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
    616 is the mainstream marvel universe/timeline.
    I stopped collecting and reading in the mid-90s. I have no idea what that meant.
    Old 02-13-13, 06:16 PM

Well there are many different alternate futures and timelines in Marvel comics. The mainstream continuity (which is what most people would be familar with) is known as the 616 universe.
    Old 02-13-13, 06:29 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brainee
    I'm a casual comic fan. Have no idea what 616 means Never heard of Valiant Comics. Never read Secret Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy (though you'd think one of the names would stick with me having read blurbs about the upcoming movie ... but it hasn't). I'm usually hesitant to enter these things when I know I can't compete ... but seeing all the other DVDTalkers who clearly aren't afraid to suck may help me to suck it up and have fun with it.
    I'd never heard of 616, and the peak of my knowledge was in the '70s, though there are a few series that I read these days. I sent my terrible answers in anyway because it's for fun, though I have to admit that the '80s game was pretty discouraging. The only games I've chosen to stay out of were Buffy (midway through the series and didn't want spoilers) and wrestling (I could have answered the movie questions and maybe a couple others).

I'd say if you're interested enough to follow the game, and you have some working knowledge, you might as well play.
    Old 02-13-13, 06:56 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's a dumb question ... if you answer "I don't know" for a Sheep question, can you match other people who say the same thing? Or do you just get a zero?
    Old 02-13-13, 07:06 PM

I have a Valiant comic or 2 somewhere in my collection, but I couldn't think of any titles (and after googling, I wouldn't have come up with any of them if you gave me a week), so I gave a goofy answer. Also never seen or read Walking Dead (you can take away my nerd card now if you want). Also, I spaced on the hero or villan that brings an animal to battle. I gave an answer, but I have no belief that anyone will match the answer I gave.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.