Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Valiant 2012 - I'm loving these new books!

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I've read all 4 Valiant re-releases titles to date...

I'm really digging Bloodshot and Harbinger. X-O Manowar feels like Conan meets Iron Man. Archer and Armstrong is a slow burn, but good...

Is anyone else start reading these titles?

I also noticed in Previews that Bloodshot '90 run is coming out in HC in a few months... The older books are starting to go up in price again.

I guess what is old is new again... Pre-Unity stuff was amazing for Valiant.
Old 08-31-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Valiant 2012 - I'm loving these new books!

The new Valiant #1s are on sale digitally, via Comixology, for .99 each. I picked all four of them up but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Also on sale are the first 12 issues of the older Harbinger and XO, the first 15 of Bloodshot, and the first 20 of Archer and Armstrong. Very tempting. Sale ends Sunday, I think. No Eternal Warrior makes me sad, though they're obviously just going for the ones that have new series out.

I agree that up until Unity, and maybe a little past that, Valiant was great. I guess they don't have access to the Gold Key characters anymore, though (I know Dark Horse was publishing a new run written by Shooter that got canned)? Are these new series a continuation of the old ones with just side references to Solar, etc., or is it a brand new continuity?
Old 08-31-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's a brand new continuity without the Gold Key characters. The Dark Horse versions (the "Dark Key" imprint) were cancelled awhile back due to low sales. I thought they were okay but a tad too boring. Nothing really to right home about.

There was a whole hub-bub a few years back as (the new) Valiant Entertainment hired Shooter to help recreate the Valiant Universe. They were pushing to re-license the Gold Key characters but Dark Horse swooped in and snatched them. Stories seem to vary that either Shooter was hired after Dark Horse got involved or was part of their package when they got the license. Either way, Shooter left Valiant and they sued because the concepts he was (reportedly) using for Dark Horse were originally planned for Valiant.

After that, they shifted gears and focused on the characters they owned without a license. I think it was a great move and the books are damn good. Looking forward to Shadowman in November.

Apparently, Valiant can re-packed and release all the original 90s stuff as long as they don't publicize that the Gold Key characters are in them.
Old 08-31-12, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The only one I read was Archer & Armstrong. I really enjoyed it.

I wasn't a Valiant fan back in the day, either the Shooter version or the Acclaim version. With one exception: Quantum & Woody. That book was amazing and I would buy an Omnibus in a heartbeat. That said, the key to that book was Priest and Mark Bright, so I hope they don't try to bring it back with new creators.
Old 09-01-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Quantum and Woody was the funniest comic book since the heady days of Justice League in the 80s. Shooter's Valiant was awesome, but it all seems to have fallen apart right when the comic book market itself imploded.
Old 09-04-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I currently LOVE X-O and Bloodshot, and I like Harbinger. I have A&A and will be reading it soon. I always loved Harbinger in the day so I am a little disappointed with it, but it has time to keep me.

Now if they would only restart ShadowMan already my flashback to my childhood will be complete
Old 11-23-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So Comixology has a black friday sale on digital Valiant comics. The new stuff is all 99c, which is cool and all, but the backissues are all 99c as well.

This includes Quantum and Woody issues 1-21 and 32 (no idea why there's a gap) along with a ton of the older stuff. I don't really want to drop another 21 bucks on digital comics, but man that 1-21 run is tempting.
Old 11-24-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There's a long gap because the book went on hiatus for a year or so, and when it came back they decided to do an issue as if it had published the entire time, jumping ahead to 32. Then they went back to the regular issue with the intention of filling in the gap. But the book was canceled before they made it that far.
Old 12-07-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm caught up on X-O, which has been good. Slowly catching up with Harbinger, which is also been sold. Will be giving Bloodshot a read-through soon. Not sure if I want to check out A&A or Shadowman yet. Maybe if I can get them in the dollar bins, perhaps.
Old 12-08-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm caught up on X-O, which has been good. Slowly catching up with Harbinger, which is also been sold. Will be giving Bloodshot a read-through soon. Not sure if I want to check out A&A or Shadowman yet. Maybe if I can get them in the dollar bins, perhaps.
Shadowman was my favorite back in the original run. I read the new 1 and I have picked up my copy of 2. I loved #1
Old 12-11-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha, I did pick up A&A #1 in the dollar bin yesterday.
Old 10-01-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up much of XO, A&A, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and the crossover Harbinger Wars from the Comixology Valiant sale a few weeks ago, and finally got around to reading them.

It's interesting how Harbinger and Bloodshot crossed over, with Harada being in both of them, but I'm not sure the execution of Harbinger Wars was all that great. Some great art in the mini, though. I'm having a tough time getting into Harbinger, I think because it seems to skip around a lot, but it was my favorite old-Valiant title.

A&A so far has just gone off on it's own, though Eternal Warrior is reintroduced and is linked to X-O. Haven't read the new Quantum and Woody yet (I did go back and buy the old series and will probably go through that first), and Shadowman was always my least favorite, so I only bought issue 1 so far. But they're doing a good job building up the new universe, and the creative teams they've put on the books have been good and, perhaps more importantly, consistent.
Old 10-01-13, 04:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Consistency of creative teams in comics? What a novel concept!
Old 10-01-13, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Consistency of creative teams in comics? What a novel concept!

DC used to be good with it.

The triangle era of 90s Superman where all four books had different creative teams but yet still managed to maintain continuity was awesome.

The trifecta of Chuck Dixon on Detective Comics, Doug Moench on Batman, and Alan Grant on Shadow of the Bat was also very good.
Old 09-02-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Sorry for the bump, I am interested in reading these. Do i need to read the older books to get what is going on or can I come in cold?
Old 09-02-14, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Sorry for the bump, I am interested in reading these. Do i need to read the older books to get what is going on or can I come in cold?
I've only read bits of both old and new, but it seemed to me that no prior Valiant knowledge was needed.
Old 09-03-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've only read bits of both old and new, but it seemed to me that no prior Valiant knowledge was needed.
Cool thanks Trevor!
Old 09-03-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, these are only connected to the old Valiant in that they're using the same characters, but it basically starts from scratch, like an Ultimate Valiant universe (without Solar and Magnus, of course).

Though they are apparently going back to the old Valiant Universe with an old-school Quantum and Woody book.
Old 09-04-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So if I grab these 6 deluxe hard-covers, I'm good to go?

Old 09-04-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So if I grab these 6 deluxe hard-covers, I'm good to go?

Pretty much. I'd also grab the Quantum and Woody trades while your at it.
Old 09-20-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv read some of the new quantum and woody books and enjoyed them
recently picked up Delinq 1/2 and trades for Archer and Armstrong, Harbinger, and Unity. gonna grab some other stuff and dive in Valiant as outside of q&w i know nothing.
Old 09-20-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can basically write up and publish stories involving these characters on kindle worlds
https://kindleworlds.amazon.com/worlds
Old 09-20-14, 04:38 PM

The current Humble Bundle is all Valiant stuff.
Old 01-29-18, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

DMG Takes Full Ownership Of Valiant Entertainment Comic Book Universe
http://deadline.com/2018/01/dmg-acqu...ot-1202272585/

I haven't talked to the former co-owner, Dinesh, but this seems to have been a takeover by Dan Mintz and his group. I don't know how the company is going to move forward but I feel like it's similar as to when Akklaim bought Valiant in the mid 90's to exploit the IPs but ended up sending the company to the toilet in terms of quality.
Old 01-29-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

https://www.newsarama.com/38368-vali...ment-sold.html
“This is about taking it to the next level,” said DMG founder/CEO Dan Mintz. “I am not looking on expanding from a publishing standpoint but from a motion picture standpoint.”

Mintz said that "the plan is not to go in there and take apart what's working," and that Valiant's comic writers and artists will continue working - and expand to working more on film, television, and other platforms.
Doesn't sound all that promising if you're a fan of the comics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.