Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 01-28-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

My biggest issue is price along with not being able to own anything, I would prefer to have CBR files I can download, I love the idea of being able to store thousands (not that I need that many) comics in something the size of a deck of cards. A bookshelf of hardcovers looks nice, a wall of comic boxes is just a pain. Many say they dislike looking at a screen, personally that has never been an issue, when working and such I can stare at a screen all day. I even finding it easier to read a comic on a tablet or computer, I can lay down and read it, neck at a better angle etc... since I like to keep my comics perfect I am mostly limited to one flat surface.

Comics get heavy and just too bulky, some will always love collecting, I am just a reader these days, saving save is huge.
Old 01-29-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought an iPad and went ahead and redeemed a bunch of Marvel comics digital copies since I owned the comics anyway. It's pretty convenient to have them in this format, but I just don't see the day that I'll ever go 100 percent digital. At least not until brand new comics cost 99 cents or something ridiculous where the price is just too good. I'm not holding my breath on that.
Old 01-29-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Madcougar, what do you do with your physical books? I've said it before, but I've long since gone past the point where even getting only collected tpbs is taking up too much space, so I'm fine with digital copies of most stuff, with the occasional hardcover for exceptional stuff.

My main problem is that I won't spend cover price on a digital copy, mainly because I could get my mailordered comics cheaper than cover anyway. But I have enough to read with the 99c sales and my backlog, at least at this point. My other problem is the lack of space on my ipad... even though I don't need my entire library on there because I'm not going to read it all at once, I do have to frequently clean up and then redownload when I want to go back and read something. Definitely not as convenient as physical copies for flipping back and forth.
Old 01-29-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
My main problem is that I won't spend cover price on a digital copy, mainly because I could get my mailordered comics cheaper than cover anyway.
These are reasons digital pricing for the most part is overdone, I often see digital books costing more then a hardcover, and with mail order comics they are a bit cheaper then cover price. I know printing is only part of the cost, talking about printer, shipping etc... if I wrote a book and sold it online vs having it printed the latter is going to cost be a lot more. (Larger locations need to be maintained, severs, 30% for things etc..) Even so.

Hard to justify spending MORE on something we cannot even download, cannot sell, trade, give away etc.. I do love the space it can safe.
Old 03-07-13, 10:17 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Has anyone tried the Marvel Unlimited app for iPad?

http://marvel.com/news/story/20247/e...rvel_unlimited
Old 03-08-13, 04:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested, but I noticed it only allows you to store six issues at a time for offline reading, or roughly 30 minutes of your life. If I'm going to be stuck somewhere where I can't access the internet, I'd likely want more than 30 minutes worth of comics to read.
Old 03-08-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know of a website/forum that would be a good place to sell digital comic copies? I have a few from the Marvel NOW! books that I won't use; the trading forum here is (rightfully so) DVD/BR. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-11-20)
Old 03-09-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Has anyone tried the Marvel Unlimited app for iPad?

http://marvel.com/news/story/20247/e...rvel_unlimited
Yeah... I was waiting for the IOS compatibility to come out. Signed up today... and it won't let me log in to the app, either on my Iphone or my Ipad. That's apparently a very common problem, reading some of the reviews.
Old 03-10-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI to all:

Marvel is giving away 700 Issue #1 digital comics until March 12th. They crashed ComiXology earlier today.

They include All New X-Men, Avengers, Avengers Arena, Captain America, Cable And X-Force, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, FF, Indestructible Hulk, Iron Man, Point One, Morbius, New Avengers, Savage Wolverine, Superior Spider-Man, Thor God Of Thunder, Thunderbolts, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, X-Men Legacy, Young Avengers and A Plus X from Marvel NOW!, but also most every major series and volume ever published by Marvel through their history. Oh and A Babies Vs X-Babies.

*EDIT: Fixing the month.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 03-10-13 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Actually it's March 12th according to Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5989841/you-can-do...mics-right-now

Don't even bother trying right now, though. Site is down and the android app is giving all kinds of errors.
Old 03-10-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Actually it's March 12th according to Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5989841/you-can-do...mics-right-now

Don't even bother trying right now, though. Site is down and the android app is giving all kinds of errors.

My bad. We're planning a family event for April and while I was typing, my wife was discussing April plans with me. So April was on my mind.

April.

I'll edit to fix the month to not-April.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-13, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I need a bigger iPad now.
Old 03-11-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I still can't get into this thing. I signed up and clicked the link to activate my account. Now it is telling me my password is incorrect. I try to "reset" through their site, but it times out repeatedly. Fook.

Well, looks like it doesn't matter. They are putting it on hold.

To our customers:

It’s been a whirlwind weekend, and we’re fresh from SXSW where Marvel Comics launched their Marvel #1 promotion featuring over 700 free comics distributed via our platform.

We expected a high degree of excitement for the Marvel initiative – and had believed ourselves prepared – but unfortunately we became overwhelmed by the immense response. We’re still struggling to keep our systems up.

The result is that you aren’t getting your comics when and where you want.

We don’t like letting you down. Our teams are working around the clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you’ve come to expect.

To that end, we’re pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the time being. For those of you that want to take advantage of the offer – you will get your comics! Until we are able to reinstate this program in our systems, please click here and fill out this simple form, so you can be informed as soon as there is an update.

We’ll be communicating with you as often as we can and deeply appreciate the outpouring of support we’ve seen from our customers while we right the ship.

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology
Link to sign up: http://www.comixology.com/sale-access

Last edited by Deftones; 03-11-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got in last night around 1:30am. Downloaded 22 titles (mainly annuals, one shots and a smattering of #1s) and called it a night. It was extremely sluggish.
Old 03-11-13, 09:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I got in last night around 1:30am. Downloaded 22 titles (mainly annuals, one shots and a smattering of #1s) and called it a night. It was extremely sluggish.
Maybe I got lucky, and/or maybe they didn't "take" like they appeared to, but I was able to log into the iPad app this morning and buy all 700 issues fairly quickly. They were all showing as purchased and downloading or read when I quit the app, so I'm hoping that I at least locked in the license for them all.
Old 03-12-13, 10:44 AM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I've been checking out the Marvel Unlimited service, and notice that almost everything has huge holes of missing issues. For example, Uncanny X-Men is only about 60% complete. And it's often missing individual issues in the middle of a run. I don't want to read a book if it's missing a couple chapters.

So a question for long-time MU users. Have they been filling in the holes? Should I expect these series to be completed in the near future? Or is this an ongoing problem that isn't being fixed? I don't want to sign-up for an annual membership if they're not working on this.
Old 03-12-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I still can't get into this thing. I signed up and clicked the link to activate my account. Now it is telling me my password is incorrect. I try to "reset" through their site, but it times out repeatedly. Fook.

Well, looks like it doesn't matter. They are putting it on hold.

Link to sign up: http://www.comixology.com/sale-access
Couldn't get in last night so thanks for this.
Old 03-12-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I've been checking out the Marvel Unlimited service, and notice that almost everything has huge holes of missing issues. For example, Uncanny X-Men is only about 60% complete. And it's often missing individual issues in the middle of a run. I don't want to read a book if it's missing a couple chapters.

So a question for long-time MU users. Have they been filling in the holes? Should I expect these series to be completed in the near future? Or is this an ongoing problem that isn't being fixed? I don't want to sign-up for an annual membership if they're not working on this.
They do fill in some of the holes, but it seems random. I remember trying to read through the recent Cable series because of Messiah War, and they were missing two issues initially that they randomly decided to put in months later. But I still think the holes are by design, so that you're tempted to go out and get the tbp... otherwise there's no rhyme or reason to miss an issue or two here or there in an otherwise complete run.
Old 03-14-13, 02:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They do fill in some of the holes, but it seems random. I remember trying to read through the recent Cable series because of Messiah War, and they were missing two issues initially that they randomly decided to put in months later. But I still think the holes are by design, so that you're tempted to go out and get the tbp... otherwise there's no rhyme or reason to miss an issue or two here or there in an otherwise complete run.
That sounds shady. I'd understand it if they were missing Fantastic Four number 142 or something from decades ago, but anything printed within the last few years should be there automatically.

And, honestly, even the old stuff should all be in there, because Marvel released whole runs of comic titles on CD-ROM for a while, including Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, etc. So they already have digital scans for those.
Old 03-19-13, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That sounds shady. I'd understand it if they were missing Fantastic Four number 142 or something from decades ago, but anything printed within the last few years should be there automatically.

And, honestly, even the old stuff should all be in there, because Marvel released whole runs of comic titles on CD-ROM for a while, including Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, etc. So they already have digital scans for those.
I don't think that's completely true. The cd-roms were done by another company and weren't cleaned up and still had ads in the back. Anyways, I signed a few days and think its pretty good. The marvel/comixology app is better for reading but the unlimited app is decent enough for what you get.
Old 04-04-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I don't think that's completely true. The cd-roms were done by another company and weren't cleaned up and still had ads in the back.
GIT Corp. (along with a prior company IIRC) released the "40 years of___" DVD-roms for Captain America, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Avengers, Iron Man and a couple others. What I like/love about the GIT DVDs, is that the issues are all cover to cover- ads, bullpen bulletins, letter pages, indicia and all.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me seeing a lot of silver and early bronze age material from an age before i existed or was a steady reader put into it's proper context by ad pages and BPBs and letter cols, makes much of this more compelling than I've ever found it in snazzy newly remastered collected editions (which I assume are the files that are forming the basis of a lot of the vintage Unlimited content).

The Unlimited deal doesn't sound too bad- and there is a whole lot of stuff I would rather rent cheaply and read once rather than pay a little more for to actually own the file of- but the GIT corp DVDs are my personal gold standard for comic collections on a digital device.
They've also completely changed the way I think about collecting and consuming this material. I was stuck on the road for work from mid January until just yesterday and one of my favorite and few diversions was reading a classic silver age comic each night in bed. Key issuse of FF, Avengers, Spider-man, etc. Here I had access to tens of thousands of $ of books and didn't worry one bit about storing them safely, or degrading them with each page turn as I read them. The absence of any and all concerns about condition (while at the same time still seeing them as they exist in a 'collectible state') made reading them an absolute pleasure- even when the stories themselves left a bit to be desired.

I'm sold.
So much so, that for the next couple weeks I'm going to go through my whole collection and start a massive sell-off of trades and HCs. Looking forward to downsizing and divesting this year.
Old 04-04-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But we haven't had a Marvel/DC release CD ROM release in a long time, right? Maybe some Archie ones, but I don't remember them continuing the series...
Old 04-04-13, 12:29 PM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
GIT Corp. (along with a prior company IIRC) released the "40 years of___" DVD-roms for Captain America, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Avengers, Iron Man and a couple others. What I like/love about the GIT DVDs, is that the issues are all cover to cover- ads, bullpen bulletins, letter pages, indicia and all.
This is what has held me back from trading my box of G.I. Joe comic books for a digital copy. I want all of those ads and letter pages!
Old 04-04-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

But we haven't had a Marvel/DC release CD ROM release in a long time, right? Maybe some Archie ones, but I don't remember them continuing the series...
I don't recall any DC collections on DVD rom, and Marvel pulled GIT Corps license shortly before they were set to release another wave including the first 500 issues of Thor (AAARRGGHHH!). They realized they were giving away the whole store for pennies, and saw the future in 'renting' digital downloads of single issues. The Unlimited subscription deal isn't bad at from what I can tell, but the GIT DVDs are THE absolute best way to read vintage material as far as I'm concerned. I had runs of Avengers, Spider-man, and FF from issue 1 up until the early 80's all sitting on my iPad at the same time accessible wherever and whenever I wanted- and NOT dependent on having access to a wi-fi signal to read more than a handful at a time.

The GITS + my iPad have changed my buying/collecting/consumption habits in a major way. Last year I went on a binge buying up hundreds of lbs of trades and Archives and Omni's. This year, most of them are going to get sold off. I'll be able to reclaim a ton of space, get at least a little money back, and be able to enjoy this stuff a little more stress free. I have always loved physical books. There is definitely a sensual aspect to them that a sterile computer device can't replicate. But the sheer flexibility of digital on a tablet means that I don;t have to wait until I am home (and exhausted) to enjoy them. I'm on the road about 6 months out of the year, and that's usually the time I would most love to access this stuff. Now I can...and it's a blast!

Originally Posted by dogmatica
This is what has held me back from trading my box of G.I. Joe comic books for a digital copy. I want all of those ads and letter pages!
Yeah. The stories themselves are the main thing, but Cover To Cover just adds so much to the experience. I know the newest softcover masterworks are sometimes huge improvements over the older HC masterworks thanks to new files/re-coloring- but as much as I've enjoyed my tpb Masterworks, in any case where I can I'll choose the GIT DVDs to read them. I'll be buying the upcoming Thor vol. 2 Omni- but I passed on the recently released Romita Jr/Layton Iron Man Omni because I would much rather see those stories as the original complete books. Up until January, when I started to use my tablet regularly, that was my most wanted Omnibus. Haven't gave passing it by a second thought.

BTW, for any fans of Dan Decarlo, the Bronze Age Betty And Veronica DVD Rom is a gold mine. 120 issues of 1970's B&V for under $10 has to rank as one of the steals of the century. Can't begin to say how great these work as a palate cleanser after 4 or 5 wordy Marvel books. Like the Git Marvels though, they stopped putting these out after just a few releases. A real shame too as they even advertise a 60's era B&V set 'coming soon'. Man, would I loved to have had that one.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 04-04-13 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
+1
I wonder if they don't include them as an option for those whom want to see them because of rights' issues. Many of those ads had art in them by comic book artists and I bet Marvel/DC simply don't want to go that level of hassle to clear the rights.
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I don't recall any DC collections on DVD rom, and Marvel pulled GIT Corps license shortly before they were set to release another wave including the first 500 issues of Thor (AAARRGGHHH!). They realized they were giving away the whole store for pennies, and saw the future in 'renting' digital downloads of single issues. The Unlimited subscription deal isn't bad at from what I can tell, but the GIT DVDs are THE absolute best way to read vintage material as far as I'm concerned. I had runs of Avengers, Spider-man, and FF from issue 1 up until the early 80's all sitting on my iPad at the same time accessible wherever and whenever I wanted- and NOT dependent on having access to a wi-fi signal to read more than a handful at a time.
I think you are correct. They realized those DVD-Roms were too good of a value and would greatly undermine any sort of digital sales service. I wish DC had issued something like them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.