Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 05-30-12, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Originally Posted by fujishig
How is Batman Inc.? These are all the pre-Flashpoint stuff, but it carries over (mostly) to the DCnu, right?
i read the first issue. i was able to follow it, which was a good start =) but yeah it acts like nothing happened with flashpoint as far as i can tell.
Old 06-20-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Atomic Robo is currently on sale in Comixology. I've heard good things about it but never picked it up. They have single issues for .99 cents and collections for a little cheaper than that (for instance, i think the first collection collects issues 1-6 and is 3.99).

So far it does read a lot like a robot Hellboy, but I'll probably get the entire run (what's out) in this sale.
Old 06-21-12, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Atomic Robo is currently on sale in Comixology. I've heard good things about it but never picked it up. They have single issues for .99 cents and collections for a little cheaper than that (for instance, i think the first collection collects issues 1-6 and is 3.99).

So far it does read a lot like a robot Hellboy, but I'll probably get the entire run (what's out) in this sale.
fun, clever series. i dont think the first collection includes his arch nemesis, which is my favorite character, so perhaps when you get that far youll really love it.
Old 06-26-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now it's a comixology sale on recent Image #1s. 23 of them for 99c each or all of them for 20 bucks. I've heard that Image has had some great series lately, so I'm tempted by the collection... but for everyone else, at least get Saga #1 for 99c !!!
Old 06-29-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dogmatica
If Marvel ever sells their entire G.I. Joe line in digital format, will someone here please send me a private message? Thank you.
Paging dogmatica, the old collections of the gi joe Hama run are on comixology sale right now. The early collections of 10 issues each are 4.99 and later ones are 5.99. The continuation ones are also on sale but not as cheap.

Tempted to get the whole run...
Old 07-05-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Avengers Disassembled #1 is free on itunes. I got even though I don't yet know how I'm going to read it.
Old 07-10-12, 10:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Half price Walking Dead sale on Comixology. All 99 issues in 16 volumes or 3 limited time omnibuses for $80.
Old 08-28-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On Comixology, the Image #1s that came out in 2012 are all free. And to think I considered getting them when they were on sale a few months ago. Great change to try out some awesome titles like Prophet, Fatale, Saga, etc.
Old 09-14-12, 08:58 AM

Comixology is having a Legends sale this weekend. The 6 issues of that mini-series, and the 21 various DC crossovers are 99 cents each. The Secret Origins issue with the four possible Phantom Stranger origins is included.

Also on sale is The Sixth Gun series, all 23 issues for 99 cents each, and the 3 trades for $5 each. Anyone read this series? I like the premise, and am in the mood to buy something new.
Old 09-14-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus their Friday Marvel sale is X-men second coming, which was actually a really good, old fashioned crossover.

That Legends sale is puzzling, though. That was basically a mini that kicked off post-Crisis DC, which of course has been completely and utterly wiped out by Flashpoint/new 52. I didn't realize that Secret Origins was included, though, cool.
Old 09-15-12, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Also on sale is The Sixth Gun series, all 23 issues for 99 cents each, and the 3 trades for $5 each. Anyone read this series? I like the premise, and am in the mood to buy something new.
Bump for opinions before they go off sale.
Old 09-15-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bump for opinions before they go off sale.
I remember the first trade being readable, though not anything earth-shattering. Supernatural mystery in the Old West.
Old 09-17-12, 05:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Comixology is doing a Daredevil sale. Select issues 99 cents. Ends tonight at 11 PM EST.
Old 09-26-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm guessing they still haven't fixed the Marvel Digital Unlimited to work on Ipad yet?
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-11-20)
Old 09-26-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
So I'm guessing they still haven't fixed the Marvel Digital Unlimited to work on Ipad yet?
Nope. Why would they, that would take away sales from Comixology...

Cool Frank Miller Batman sale, though... Dark Knight Returns and Year One single issues are all 99c. Dark Knight Strikes Again and the 10 issues of All Star Batman are also available, and I'll be honest, I bought them all despite the questionable quality of Miller's later works.
Old 09-26-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope. Why would they, that would take away sales from Comixology...
I read an interview or article earlier this year saying they woul have it available to iPad before 2013. Just waiting.
Old 09-29-12, 07:04 AM

Two current Comixology sales are some TMNT stuff, and a boatload of Justice League books, Silver Age to late 90s I think. I'm tempted to buy them all, the JLA has always been a favorite of mine, and at one point around 15 years ago I owned pretty much every issue of every JL title. Of course, I realize that if I did buy them it would be more a buying addiction thing than actually wanting to often re-read the somewhat mediocre stuff; but I'm finding it hard to resist today.
Old 10-01-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The JLA sale is actually pretty good. The older titles they have, while not complete, include a lot of milestones: the first appearance of the JLA, Green Arrow and others like Zatanna joining, various crossovers with the JSA back when it became an annual event, etc. Then they have JLA: The Nail and JLA: Year One, two of my favorite minis, along with the beginning of the Giffen/DeMatteus JLI and parts of Morrison's and Waid's run. I'm also tempted to buy a bunch of these, even though I already have most of them in tpb (well, maybe not the Morrison and Giffen stuff, because it's not complete).

Of course, there is also stuff like Extreme Justice and the JLetroit era, which can be hit and miss.
Old 12-07-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh boy, here we go...

DC comics, that is, individual issues, are now day and date not only on Comixology, but also itunes, kindle, and nook:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...unes-and-nook/

Because the bigger distributors apparently demanded conformity with midnight releases, all digital DC comics are now released at midnight Wednesday morning.:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...rint-editions/

Which means you can get them digitally way before any comic store opens for the day. Brian Hibbs rants about this in his newest Tilting here:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42536

I somehow missed this news last month. I wonder whether the wider distribution is doing anything to digital sales, and if the shift in timing is doing anything to the B&Ms. As a wait-for-the-trade kinda guy, I don't see the huge deal in a few hours difference personally, but I can certainly understand the retailers' disgust at this.

I'm also mildly worried about the feasibility of Comixology now that DC is non-exclusive for single issues with them, mainly because I've bought quite a bit from them.
Old 12-07-12, 11:09 PM
Banned by request

A few hours + convenience + not having to store an ever growing collection of physical copies = real incentive for more people to go digital. This should worry retailers. Unfortunately, there's not much they can do about it.
Old 12-08-12, 01:13 PM
Banned

However, there are potential problems with going digital too.

What if Comixology goes out of business? You just lost your entire collection. Sure Comixology isn't likely going out of business anytime soon, but who knows about 20-30 years from now.

Also backwards compatibility is a potential problem. DOS and even Win95/98 programs have problems running on modern computers. Its a very real possibility that the comics you buy now won't work on computers made 20-30 years from now.

At least with physical comics, I can be assured that my old 80s/90s comics will always be there. With digital there is no such assurance.
Old 12-08-12, 02:44 PM
Banned by request

Find a way to rip them to .cbz. I'm sure there are ways to do it. As long as some program can read that filetype, it doesn't matter what kind of computer you have. And if the standard changes, there will inevitably be something to convert the files you have.
Old 12-14-12, 06:39 PM

If you buy anything through iTunes, Target has a pretty sweet deal right now, but it expires tomorrow.

They have $60 worth (four $15 cards) on sale for $54, then you get a free $10 Target card with the below coupon. Don't forget to use your Target debit or credit card for the extra 5% off.

Originally Posted by Yo Mama
Buy $50 itunes gift card at target, get a $10 target gift card back through saturday. Use this coupon: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?lebi7u8f2h42btl
Old 12-16-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Nice--Kindle now has a couple Tintin titles. They're the first two in the series so I hope they're going to have them all there.

I was also surprised to run across Luann on Kindle since they stopped printing this series on physical books a while ago (though there is a recent compilation, which I'd like to get). They have three volumes specifically covering the Brad and Toni story, which really set the strip apart for me. I got the first one, and it's not the best experience reading on my phone--I have to increase the size of each page, then X out of that to swipe to the next page--but it'd probably be fine on a larger device.

Old 01-11-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, Comixology is getting me with some of these sales. Just bought the first 30 or so issues of Remender's Uncanny X-Force for 99c a piece, on sale today only.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.