Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 02-26-22, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

I don't think there's a thing that's improved in the new Comixology version.
I use it on a Kindle Fire 10. It's now slow to load the app, slow to load a book, usually crashes after reading no more than 3 books, touch-next-panel misses about 15% of the time, Filters in no way replaces Smart Lists, no longer the ability to Archive, and browsing the catalog and my library is much more cumbersome. The actual reading of a book hasn't changed much (except for the touch-next-panel), but "doing the core functionality just as good as the previous version" is an incredibly low bar.
It wasn't perfect before, but it was a heck of a lot better than this version. Oh, and probably not a surprise, I don't see the "Free" section anymore, and their Deals section is one big section with ~600 random titles in it. Showing 30 at a time. Not to be all 'they ruined my childhood!' but this is one of the worst tech 'advancements' I can recall in some years. At least Moviepass's "upgrade" only ruined them and didn't make it worse in every way for the customer.

I've got about 35 things in my CU queue - I may go through, remove some, try to blitz read some, then cancel CU. Not that my six bucks a month will hurt Amazon, but not much more I can do. Very disappointing - CU was actually my subscription service that I spend the most hours on and in general get the most enjoyment and value from each month.
Maybe I'll take a break from CU, catch up on my library backlog from Comixology and other legitimate sources (mostly Humble and Kickstarter).
Three bundles on Humble now - the aforementioned English/British one, a Vampirella one (I've got about 30 Vampi books so I'm sure some duplicate from a previous bundle), and a bunch from Oni Press. I'll probably get the British and Vampi bundles.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (02-27-22)
Old 02-27-22, 05:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
I don't think there's a thing that's improved in the new Comixology version.
I use it on a Kindle Fire 10. It's now slow to load the app, slow to load a book, usually crashes after reading no more than 3 books, touch-next-panel misses about 15% of the time, Filters in no way replaces Smart Lists, no longer the ability to Archive, and browsing the catalog and my library is much more cumbersome. The actual reading of a book hasn't changed much (except for the touch-next-panel), but "doing the core functionality just as good as the previous version" is an incredibly low bar.
It wasn't perfect before, but it was a heck of a lot better than this version. Oh, and probably not a surprise, I don't see the "Free" section anymore, and their Deals section is one big section with ~600 random titles in it. Showing 30 at a time. Not to be all 'they ruined my childhood!' but this is one of the worst tech 'advancements' I can recall in some years. At least Moviepass's "upgrade" only ruined them and didn't make it worse in every way for the customer.

I've got about 35 things in my CU queue - I may go through, remove some, try to blitz read some, then cancel CU. Not that my six bucks a month will hurt Amazon, but not much more I can do. Very disappointing - CU was actually my subscription service that I spend the most hours on and in general get the most enjoyment and value from each month.
Maybe I'll take a break from CU, catch up on my library backlog from Comixology and other legitimate sources (mostly Humble and Kickstarter).
Three bundles on Humble now - the aforementioned English/British one, a Vampirella one (I've got about 30 Vampi books so I'm sure some duplicate from a previous bundle), and a bunch from Oni Press. I'll probably get the British and Vampi bundles.
I cancelled my CU service as well. I can't imagine they have that many subscribers so if we are the norm then they will feel it.
Undeadcow (02-27-22)
Old 03-02-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Navigating sales and making multiple title purchases has become so much more cumbersome - it's a chore to see what books are on sale much less cross reference with singles I might own then buying them item by item triggers purchase errors and while dealing with that it zooms you back to beginning of having to push 'see more' through dozens or other issues not of interest.
Old 03-10-22, 05:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

This Humble Bundle is a crazy good value.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/l...om-image-books
John Pannozzi (03-12-22)
Old 03-11-22, 01:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
This Humble Bundle is a crazy good value.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/l...om-image-books
Yeah, since Comixology as we know it is now gone, thank god we still have the bundles
Trevor (03-11-22)
Old 03-19-22, 11:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

This Humble Bundle is mostly games, but has a fair amount of comics and other stuff and your entire $40 goes to Ukrainian Relief efforts.
https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-w...le?refc=WNzzMd
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
davidh777 (03-19-22), majorjoe23 (03-19-22)
Old 04-03-22, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 406 Posts

The CMX app is still mostly usable for me, but shopping is a big PITA so I haven’t bought anything since the transition. And since I’m not getting benefit of the extra discounts, I also canceled my CMX Unlimited subscription. To the backlog, Robin!
Old 04-03-22, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
The CMX app is still mostly usable for me, but shopping is a big PITA so I havenít bought anything since the transition. And since Iím not getting benefit of the extra discounts, I also canceled my CMX Unlimited subscription. To the backlog, Robin!
Same for me. Digging out of the backlog. Making a list of anything new that looks interesting and will pick them up later in trade paperback. Comixology has really managed to make my love of collecting go away fast. Still love the media but no more impulse buys.
davidh777 (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's technically "usable" but not user-friendly at all. I did cancel my CU subscription.
It takes at least three times as long to go from nothing to actually reading a book than it used to, and it crashes/kicks me out of a book at least half the time. "Filtering" is nowhere near as effective as the old smartlist thing, and I haven't even browsed the store in over a month. I am using it because I have bought stuff there, but previously when I might download a couple new titles and read multiple issues from multiple books in one reading session, now I may read one or two stories then jump over to Perfect Viewer to read through my collection of non-Comixology titles.
This is easily the worst example of a software "upgrade" that I have ever personally experienced in terms of usability. Worse than even Windows 98 to Windows Me.
Old 04-04-22, 11:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
It's technically "usable" but not user-friendly at all. I did cancel my CU subscription.
It takes at least three times as long to go from nothing to actually reading a book than it used to, and it crashes/kicks me out of a book at least half the time. "Filtering" is nowhere near as effective as the old smartlist thing, and I haven't even browsed the store in over a month. I am using it because I have bought stuff there, but previously when I might download a couple new titles and read multiple issues from multiple books in one reading session, now I may read one or two stories then jump over to Perfect Viewer to read through my collection of non-Comixology titles.
This is easily the worst example of a software "upgrade" that I have ever personally experienced in terms of usability. Worse than even Windows 98 to Windows Me.
Not sure it was ever intended as an upgrade. To me the worst part is losing the DRM-free purchase option. Without it, I don't intend to make any more digital book purchases on Amazon and kinda hope sales plummet hard for them. Also wish that eventually, a competitor will rise and be able to replace Comixology properly, since there's now a huge void in the market.
John Pannozzi (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 581 Posts

Free digital Werewolf by Night #32 (first appearance of Moon Knight)

https://www.marvel.com/moonknightcomics
Old 04-06-22, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Free digital Werewolf by Night #32 (first appearance of Moon Knight)

https://www.marvel.com/moonknightcomics
Looks like it is free to read yet I cannot add to my collection.

Issues 32 and 33 are available this way.
Old 04-10-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice Terry Moore Humble bundle (Echo, Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising, etc.) to benefit the Hero Initiative

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/u...dios-tbc-books
The following 2 users liked this post by davidh777:
John Pannozzi (04-11-22), Undeadcow (04-11-22)
Old 04-11-22, 11:39 AM

I miss when Comixology/DC/Marvel use to consistently include single issues in their sales.
Old 04-11-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I miss when Comixology/DC/Marvel use to consistently include single issues in their sales.
I also used to get singles in the BOGO sales, but I assume those are out with the shift to the AMZN interface.
Undeadcow (04-11-22)
Old 04-19-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 528 Likes on 371 Posts

Inspired by Trevor's "Top 10 Comics Creators" thread, I've been using the new Comixology extensively for the first time since the changeover to Kindle. I thought the previous iteration of Comixology was a solid C+/B-. Acceptable but with plenty of room for improvement. The new one is worse in pretty much every conceivable way. What a disaster. There's nothing much else to say.
davidh777 (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Inspired by Trevor's "Top 10 Comics Creators" thread, I've been using the new Comixology extensively for the first time since the changeover to Kindle. I thought the previous iteration of Comixology was a solid C+/B-. Acceptable but with plenty of room for improvement. The new one is worse in pretty much every conceivable way. What a disaster. There's nothing much else to say.
Its just not meant for single issue comics. It might be ok for just trades, but the search engine is terrible. The app is very slow now and when I am done reading an issue of a continuing story it no longer lets me just download the next. It acts like I don't have it and I have to go to discover find it in the store portion and download my purchase copy from there. I have never hated gone from love to hate so fast. They have lost tons of money from me. Haven't purchased a single thing in a month and I bought stuff from basically every sale they would have.
Old 04-19-22, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

You know what was ok for single issue comics? The old comixology. You might even say it was built for that. Unless this is their way of trying to shutter the digital monthly business, in which case they are well on their way.
Undeadcow (04-20-22)
Old 04-19-22, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 528 Likes on 371 Posts

I don't even read a ton of single issues and I still hate it. It's mostly ok for reading my existing collection (but still worse than it was), but forget finding new stuff. I'll probably never buy anything again, not out of some principled stand, but because I'll never be able to find anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Trevor (04-19-22), Undeadcow (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 05:06 PM

They really killed off the true independents and the submit stuff. I can't find a thing unless it is Marvel/DC, Image/Dark Horse or Manga. Everything else seems to be shuttled to the Independent section which doesn't even have all of the new Independent releases. They are missing tons each week.
Old 04-23-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 268 Likes on 195 Posts

A pretty good collection of 90s Image on Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/i...artner=wario64
Old 04-28-22, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up the Image collection. I think I had most of Witchblade but the rest of the titles are worth it even if those are duplicate.

Got the Terry Moore one a few weeks ago as well. I have the 'digest trade paperbacks' of SIP, and I've read Rachel Rising on CU back before the app turned to crapp, but I haven't re-read SIP in a while and wanted to try some of his other titles. Finished Motor Girl last week, that was great.

Any consensus on PDF vs CBZ? Last batch of downloading I got PDF, this time I went CBZ where I could. Seems like for smaller things, it's a toss up, but for larger, CBZ is a smaller file size. I don't know, that's not consistent of course. My local hard drive is almost full so I am painfully aware of file sizes. Both PDF and CBZ will be around for a while, presumably?

It's no Image or Terry Moore, but Groupees has got a Markosia bundle for $15 min-max. I have never heard of Markosia or any of their titles, looks like quality of titles is varied per reader feedback, but definitely they look like diverse stories.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-28-22 at 02:24 PM.
John Pannozzi (05-17-22)
Old 05-02-22, 03:31 PM

I've noticed that a lot of DC comics singles are no longer available on digital; both new (some of DCeased) and old (OMAC, Supergirl, etc).
I hope that's not a long term move away from individual comics (especially since new "Comixology" is so sloppy with volumes).
It's not 100% changed - so like 2 issues out of 8 with Heroes in Crisis are available in singles or Hawkworld: Armageddon 2001 is still available.

Surprisingly I don't see any obvious way to search for 'hidden singles' but they're still buried in the 'My Library' view to scroll and download.

[It's possible this is old news I just didn't notice before]

Last edited by Undeadcow; 05-09-22 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-04-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven’t spent a cent on the converted Amazon site. I probably will at some point as I don’t want to start a new collection elsewhere, but it’s no longer fun to browse through sales and new releases. For now, I’m fine going through my hefty backlog.
Undeadcow (05-09-22)
Old 05-12-22, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 581 Posts

I'm still surprised that Marvel and DC haven't pushed Amazon to fix the shitty new Comixology site. They are losing tons of sales because of the new layout and incredibly confusing and hard way to find anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
John Pannozzi (05-13-22), majorjoe23 (05-12-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.