Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 05-21-20, 03:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Comixology has a DC Memorial Day sale.... lots of good ones, have only gone through 1/3 of the list and I already have a dozen titles on my list.

Being new to Comixoogy, I have to ask the veterans here, are these prices as good as it gets? Don't wanna spend $100+ only to find lower prices later.

Looking to buy the thick books to get more bang for my buck. Looking at Batman: Knightfall vols 1-3, Batman Eternal, Silver Age Doom Patrol, Green Arrow Kevin Smith, Batgirl & Catwoman titles, etc. What other books would you recommend that are worth the sale price?
Prices are quite variable unfortunately. I used to think 99 cents an issue was great, but almost everything Iíve paid that much for has been free or less than 50 cents an issue in trades down the road.

DC hasnít been as cheap as Marvel the last couple years, with their $4 even omnibus sized collections now $5 and just the smaller ones. And DC doesnít have the constant linewide b1g1 sales that combine with other sales. You might be safe that these prices wonít get a whole lot better, but I wouldnít bet on it.

If you spend money at Comixology regularly, itís probably best to join Comixology Unlimited, as the extra discount will pay for itself.
Old 05-21-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 169 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Prices are quite variable unfortunately. I used to think 99 cents an issue was great, but almost everything Iíve paid that much for has been free or less than 50 cents an issue in trades down the road.

DC hasnít been as cheap as Marvel the last couple years, with their $4 even omnibus sized collections now $5 and just the smaller ones. And DC doesnít have the constant linewide b1g1 sales that combine with other sales. You might be safe that these prices wonít get a whole lot better, but I wouldnít bet on it.

If you spend money at Comixology regularly, itís probably best to join Comixology Unlimited, as the extra discount will pay for itself.
An alternate take: if you want to just read DC comics, a ton of stuff is on DC Universe which is 7.99 a month and has a seven day free trial. Not everything (lots of Vertigo missing, there's a six month or so lead time on new books) but a lot of stuff. It's the main reason I haven't bought much from recent DC comixology sales.
Old 05-21-20, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
An alternate take: if you want to just read DC comics, a ton of stuff is on DC Universe which is 7.99 a month and has a seven day free trial. Not everything (lots of Vertigo missing, there's a six month or so lead time on new books) but a lot of stuff. It's the main reason I haven't bought much from recent DC comixology sales.
True. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldnít buy many digital comics outside Humble and Groupees. Iíd have MU and CU and maybe DCU and use those to supplement Hoopla to have Ďfreeí access to almost everything. Iíd also pick up the freebies on Comixology and have several thousands of just those.

But since Iíve spent so much over the years, I feel sort of trapped to continue my runs.
Old 05-21-20, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks... I'm still on my 30-day free trial of Comixology and plan to keep it another couple of months after the trial expires. Once I read most of what I want to read then I'll cancel and read those that I 'own'. I'm probably safe to do some shopping with this sale. The 52 books (26 issues each) and the Zatanna book (16 issues) look like terrific bargains to me as well.
Old 05-22-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure where to procure the other 27+ (even DC states over 250 yet the highest is 223 at Comixology). Here is a link to a blog that contains dirext links to the Scooby Doo books at any of your favorite digital book sites.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...omics-for-free
Old 05-22-20, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Not sure where to procure the other 27+ (even DC states over 250 yet the highest is 223 at Comixology). Here is a link to a blog that contains dirext links to the Scooby Doo books at any of your favorite digital book sites.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...omics-for-free
Maybe theyíre counting all the issues in collections twice?
Old 05-22-20, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks... I'm still on my 30-day free trial of Comixology and plan to keep it another couple of months after the trial expires. Once I read most of what I want to read then I'll cancel and read those that I 'own'. I'm probably safe to do some shopping with this sale. The 52 books (26 issues each) and the Zatanna book (16 issues) look like terrific bargains to me as well.
If you are going to keep buying then keep the unlimited. It is fairly cheap and the extra discount you get with sales makes it free for me every month.
Old 05-22-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe theyíre counting all the issues in collections twice?
I also wonder if there are more on DC Universe.

Yet those are only Free to read if subscribed.
Old 05-24-20, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Comixology has a DC Memorial Day sale.... lots of good ones, have only gone through 1/3 of the list and I already have a dozen titles on my list.

Being new to Comixoogy, I have to ask the veterans here, are these prices as good as it gets? Don't wanna spend $100+ only to find lower prices later.

Looking to buy the thick books to get more bang for my buck. Looking at Batman: Knightfall vols 1-3, Batman Eternal, Silver Age Doom Patrol, Green Arrow Kevin Smith, Batgirl & Catwoman titles, etc. What other books would you recommend that are worth the sale price?
If you like Crisis on Infinite Earths, that and the companion are 400-500 pages in the deluxe versions. (The non-deluxe Crisis is also in the sale, for a couple bucks less and 100 fewer pages.) Iím a big fan of The New Frontier, which is 500 pages in the deluxe version and a lot cheaper than buying the two standard editions.

Less value but among my faves are the two Legion volumes, The Great Darkness Saga and The Curse.

Last edited by davidh777; 05-25-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 08:52 AM

The New Frontier is perhaps my favorite superhero series ever. Well, maybe after Watchmen and DKR and Year One and Born Again. But still, top five I guess.
Old 05-25-20, 08:54 AM

Nearing the last day and less than $1800 away from the final bonus. This is a great bundle, letís make it happen.

https://groupees.com/humanoids
Old 05-25-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BOGO code MARVEL20 through 5/31 stacks with the Captain America and X-Force sales ending tonight.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (05-25-20)
Old 05-27-20, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
BOGO code MARVEL20 through 5/31 stacks with the Captain America and X-Force sales ending tonight.
And of course yesterday was only about the third time in 20 years that Iíve taken a day (or more) off of Dvdtalk. Oh well, probably owned it all anyway.
Old 05-27-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw davidh777's post about 11:00 or 11:30 at night and went right to Comixology but all the Marvel issues (including Captain America and X-Force) were already full price.
Old 05-29-20, 03:59 PM

New sale on the fairly recent X-men red/blue/gold runs combos with the b1g1f sale. All ~80 books for under $20 I think. Was that run any good?
Old 05-31-20, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New sale on the fairly recent X-men red/blue/gold runs combos with the b1g1f sale. All ~80 books for under $20 I think. Was that run any good?
I have a few of them from 99 cent sales but havenít read them. Amazon customer reviews seem to prefer Red over Gold, but with the stacked discount, I just got them all and stashed the code in my cart for possible future use.
Trevor (05-31-20)
Old 06-12-20, 03:56 PM

Haven’t looked hard for a better link, but lots of new Marvel freebies at Comixology too.
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/one-...tors-for-free/
Undeadcow (06-12-20)
Old 06-13-20, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is one link

https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Fr...ics/page/23611
Undeadcow (06-13-20)
Old 06-16-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HBO Max Digital comics # 1-3 now free at Comixology
Undeadcow (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Green Lantern 76 is now available for free at Comixology, Amazon and other digital readers.
Undeadcow (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:16 PM

Last day for a free issue download of the Eisner-nominated Hogan’s Alley
https://www.hoganmag.com/stores/hoga...nretouched-pdf
Old 07-01-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 169 Likes on 131 Posts

New Humble bundle for Image stuff:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/i...showcase-books

Some great stuff in there but (by design I think) nothing is complete, it's basically a large sampling of a bunch of different series. Also, I have a bunch of them from other purchases so I'll have to see how much overlap there is with stuff I already bought before I commit.
Old 07-01-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some great stuff in there but (by design I think) nothing is complete, it's basically a large sampling of a bunch of different series. Also, I have a bunch of them from other purchases so I'll have to see how much overlap there is with stuff I already bought before I commit.
That bundle reminds me that I was keeping up with the Invincible trades until the last couple, and still havenít read them. I have the whole run now and have been meaning to read the whole thing front to back.
Old 07-03-20, 10:22 AM

Actually, it looks like a lot of it is complete. Hack/Slash, Curse Words, Copra, Redlands, several others, not even counting the several mini-series.

This might be the best bundle yet.